Damnit, why is Apple stuff so cool!

Domo

Wotcha
I'm an Apple fanboy. Not an apologist, one level back - a fanboy. I'm one of those people who just want the latest Apple stuff but can't afford it, be it an iMac Pro, a MacBook, iPhone XS or iPad, I just want it all. But why? There's stuff out there that equals the level of tech at cheaper prices and in several different forms. Like custom built PCs running Linux, or a Galaxy 9 smartphone. OK, so maybe the Apple stuff is - at a cost - right up there with the competition, tech wise or even better, but that's not it. It's an intangible Apple lust factor.

And I can't wait to see what's next!

I like them, but I'm not necessarily one who needs the latest and greatest. I found that my Apple notebook computer worked exceeding well for years, while my wife's PC was almost unusable after less than a year.

And with iOS 12 improving the performance of older iOS devices, some are wondering if that's going to hurt Apple's sales of new devices. I personally think it's a good thing to provide excellent value and excellent longevity for a premium product, but the cynic would believe that they might have planned obsolescence.

I'm an Apple fanboy. Not an apologist, one level back - a fanboy. I'm one of those people who just want the latest Apple stuff but can't afford it, be it an iMac Pro, a MacBook, iPhone XS or iPad, I just want it all. But why? There's stuff out there that equals the level of tech at cheaper prices and in several different forms. Like custom built PCs running Linux, or a Galaxy 9 smartphone. OK, so maybe the Apple stuff is - at a cost - right up there with the competition, tech wise or even better, but that's not it. It's an intangible Apple lust factor.

And I can't wait to see what's next!
They have that rare combination of style, ease of use and customer service. “It just works” and if it doesn’t they’ll take care of you. I’m also an unapologetic fan girl. I really don’t care to explore anything else but beyond that we have yet to be able to kill a device. We have passed down iPhones and iPads that are still going strong. My DD has iPods that are now obsolete that still work. Ironically their longevity is what keeps me buying more.

I like them, but I'm not necessarily one who needs the latest and greatest. I found that my Apple notebook computer worked exceeding well for years, while my wife's PC was almost unusable after less than a year.

And with iOS 12 improving the performance of older iOS devices, some are wondering if that's going to hurt Apple's sales of new devices. I personally think it's a good thing to provide excellent value and excellent longevity for a premium product, but the cynic would believe that they might have planned obsolescence.
Every year it’s predicted their sales will go down and every year the skeptics are wrong. We’ll see what happens. Typically people who buy new Apple products don’t need them, they *want* them.

I’ll be hanging out all day Friday waiting for the UPS man. :yay:

Every year it’s predicted their sales will go down and every year the skeptics are wrong. We’ll see what happens. Typically people who buy new Apple products don’t need them, they *want* them.

Sales have been down though since Apple introduced the battery replacement promotion. It got people thinking that the performance of their older devices is still more than acceptable, but all they might need is a new battery.

I guess it's a tricky thing trying to provide long-term value to the customer vs perhaps building products and deliberately failing to support them in hopes of buyers wanting the latest.

Same here. I'm typing this on my 2012 MacBook Pro, upgraded with an SSD (best upgrade ever--runs faster and better than it did when it was new). I have an iPhone 6s+, Apple Watch Series 2 and a 4th generation Apple TV. One of the reasons I like Apple hardware so much is in my experience it lasts a long time.

Now their cloud services (Apple Music and iCloud) are something else altogether....

Same here. I'm typing this on my 2012 MacBook Pro, upgraded with an SSD (best upgrade ever--runs faster and better than it did when it was new). I have an iPhone 6s+, Apple Watch Series 2 and a 4th generation Apple TV. One of the reasons I like Apple hardware so much is in my experience it lasts a long time.

Now their cloud services (Apple Music and iCloud) are something else altogether....

Eventually it's going to run out of upgrades though. I've got an older Mac where I simply can't access certain websites because there aren't any web browsers that support the latest security requirements. However, if you've got a 2012 MacBook Pro where you can change the drive with any 2.5" SATA drive, then that's actually quite a good performer despite how long in the tooth it is. Since then, Apple has had issues with their keyboards and it's basically an appliance with absolutely no upgrade path.

I figure as long as I keep my iPhone in good condition, it should have about 3 more years of upgrades. With the latest iOS 12 upgrade, even my 2013-era iPad Mini can run it. It seems to have improved performance a lot. It's kind of the opposite of what most people expect - that they'll throw in a ton of new features that seem cool but inevitably requires more processor power to function acceptable. The iOS 12 update seems to have concentrated on minor usability changes, as well as increasing efficiency to keep older equipment functioning well. I'm quite OK with that.

And iTunes, we can’t forget how infuriating iTunes can be. I’m looking forward to new toys but dreading the all day process of back ups and restores. (passing down our 7s to the kids so will have four to do)

I currently have a Samsung phone because its what our programs run on for work but I hate it. I've had a iPhone for 7 years previous and really liked them but wouldnt go past the iPhone 5 size. But aa far as laptops go I've never had a macbook and probably will never.

I currently have a Samsung phone because its what our programs run on for work but I hate it. I've had a iPhone for 7 years previous and really liked them but wouldnt go past the iPhone 5 size. But aa far as laptops go I've never had a macbook and probably will never.

My BIL works for Microsoft. He was virtually given a Windows Phone (forgot the maker) for free but now his entire family has iPhones and iPads. They could probably get Surface tablets super cheap, but they prefer Apple. They don't have any Apple general purpose computers though.

I went from a Samsung to an iphone, and in terms of using it there isn't any difference at all. I had an older Samsung which had the replaceable battery which was a plus compared to the iphone. You can also expand the memory which is another plus.
The only reason I have an iphone is because my kids do and I like imessage. I bought the SE because it was cheap and small but since they dont make it anymore it will probably be the last iphone I use. I'm too cheap and I don't care about the latest and greatest so I won't be shelling out a mortgage payment for a phone.

I just ordered my Apple Watch. Unfortunately it won't be here until mid-October. We all have iPhones, iPads, and DBF has a MacBook for work. I have a first generation watch so I was due for an upgrade. Plus, work has a fitness subsidy where most fitness items are subsidized at 50%. It includes the Apple Watch, so I basically pay half price. :)

I went from a Samsung to an iphone, and in terms of using it there isn't any difference at all. I had an older Samsung which had the replaceable battery which was a plus compared to the iphone. You can also expand the memory which is another plus.
The only reason I have an iphone is because my kids do and I like imessage. I bought the SE because it was cheap and small but since they dont make it anymore it will probably be the last iphone I use. I'm too cheap and I don't care about the latest and greatest so I won't be shelling out a mortgage payment for a phone.

Most Samsung devices now have integral batteries. If the battery needs to be replaced, the only practical options are to go to a 3rd party company or to ship it to Samsung. I believe Samsung America has a few service centers, but only in NYC and New Jersey. The drivers for essentially gluing the battery in would be to reduce empty space and for water resistance. And from what I've seen in pictures, Samsung devices are even harder to service than Apple's.

My wife had a Note 2. It was nice that it could be expanded, and we got a new battery after the original one's capacity dropped like a rock. The only problems were when there was a problem with the microSD card inserted. A few times it wouldn't show up at all because of a bad connection. A few times my wife came up to me and asked if she should approve it when it said something about the format not being recognized, and whether it should reformat. I just shut it down and everything recovered, but a simple tap and it would have wiped all those photos/videos.

That Note 2 also started getting slower and slower even after only a year. In my experience, Apple's devices take long before they get to the point where it doesn't seem to be worth using any more.

I just ordered my Apple Watch. Unfortunately it won't be here until mid-October. We all have iPhones, iPads, and DBF has a MacBook for work. I have a first generation watch so I was due for an upgrade. Plus, work has a fitness subsidy where most fitness items are subsidized at 50%. It includes the Apple Watch, so I basically pay half price. :)
I’m thinking about asking Santa for one.

Cute-Little-Vinyl-Decal-Sticker-for-DIY-Macbook-Pro-Air-11-13-15-Inch-Laptop-Case.jpg_640x640.jpg

yup....always heard you love your apples.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!