Das and FP

Raven01

Proud Momma to DD
if this is answered somewhere, I apologize!

If you get the DAS, how does that work with FP? If I get to FOP at 915 am and there is a 2 hour wait, can I get a return time with the DAS and still use a prescheduled 9-10 and 10-11 FP?

If I have DAS return time, can I ride other rides in that wait in a walk-in standby line?

If I have a DAS return time, can I schedule and then use a FP while I wait?

My research indicates that the DAS return time means I can’t ride anything else (since if I was in the queue, I couldn’t ride). Is this correct?

I have a toddler and mobility issues such that I can’t stop and start and wait in line. If I do I won’t be able to walk after a day or so. Wheelchairs don’t work when you have a toddler to look after and no one to push them!

I think the DAS policy sounds fair, I’m just not clear if I can use the time to walk on another ride, or if I’m bench bound for the wait period. I’m specifically interested in FOP, in case I don’t get a FP and the wait may be two hours or more. If we literally are sitting on a bench, then I might want to time it to lunch or maybe my FPs.

Last edited:
You can hold a DAS return time and a FP at the same time. Having a DAS return time does not prevent you from making additional FP within the parameters of how the FP+ system works or changing a FP you currently hold. You can use FP or ride other walk on rides while you’re waiting for your DAS return time. However, if you do try to find walk on rides while waiting for a DAS return time, you frequently end up doing a significant amount of crossing back and forth across the parks and add a lot of mileage to your day.

You also can ride other attractions while waiting, you can't use the DAS for them though. But let's say you have a DAS return time for Frozen Ever After and there is no queue at the ride in the Mexico pavilion, you could go on that while waiting if that queue works with your needs.

You can have both at the same time. Sometimes the system won't allow for a return time if you are holding a FP, but then you should be issued a paper return time (so far this has only happened to me in Epcot, and I'm not sure it was system error or CM error since she seemed like she was in training). The only thing you cannot do is get a return time for the DAS for any other ride until you have used the DAS you have scheduled or you have a CM remove it.

And be prepared to state why you cannot wait in a standard line outside of mobility issues as that will likely just get you a referral to the ECV/wheelchair rental.

And be prepared to state why you cannot wait in a standard line outside of mobility issues as that will likely just get you a referral to the ECV/wheelchair rental.

Yes. I’m expecting this. Another in my party has a spinal issue. We don’t have enough people to use wheelchairs, and an ECV won’t accommodate my toddler.

It sounds like FP operate independently, correct? I’m not going to walk all over the park for a ride, but if I can entertain the toddler with something close by I would like to.

Please be prepared to be denied the DAS. Not saying this will happen, but mobility issues combined with your party's consistency (i.e. technically your planning) coukd very well not exempt you from the standard "mobility issues = mobility device" solution.

Please have alternative plans. Less than full days, wrist tether for the toddler, expert understanding and use of FP+, alternating shows with rides or short waits with long waits...

I have a toddler and mobility issues such that I can’t stop and start and wait in line. If I do I won’t be able to walk after a day or so. Wheelchairs don’t work when you have a toddler to look after and no one to push them!

The DAS is based on the person disability not other people in there party the fact you have a small child dose not mean you will be issued a DAS dive you say you have mobility need you will more then likely be told you use a mobility device If it will help you to use a stroller as a walker you can have it tagged as a wheelchair so you can have it in line.

Folks, I understand. I specifically am NOT listing our specific disabilities because I thought the board guidelines did not want specifics used to get a DAS. I also did not think it was relevant for the questions I asked about FP.

The toddler is fine - it's her mom that has the issues. I realize a DAS is in the CM discretion and understand and accept that. I was going to get a doctor's note but read the FAQ and saw that is not used. My concern is that mobility devices for me will not solve my problem due to our specific situation, and therefore, if we get a DAS, I wanted to know how to use it in conjunction with my FPs.

Thanks!

Your first concern: DAS return times are completely separate from FP+. Schedule your FP+ as anyone would. IMHO trying to obtain a DAS return time for a FP+ ride for is "double-booking" YOUR planning time. There is always a wait in SOME kind of line. There are signs that tell you how long, and you can use the MDE app to see how long it is as well.

Use DAS for the standby rides that you don't manage to get FP+ for - this will help you plan the time needed for a ride in a very similar way to FP+.

You can only have one DAS return time, you are correct on that. While waiting for that time to come, you will have to either walk around/get a snack/wait in a standby line/get in line for the next soonest show/search MDE for an available FP+ and get in that line.

You won't be bench-bound unless you bring your own rollator chair. There is very very little outdoor seating!

Also nearly ALL mobility-related issues are resolved as far as Disney is concerned, by suggesting you rent a mobility device. You won't get the DAS just by telling them you can't stand in lines or walk around for very long. So make sure you plan for that.

If you tell us a little bit about your party's make-up (how many kids/adults and the needs) we can suggest techniques. Maybe Rider Switch will work for your family, maybe it won't. Tell us more! :)

You may get some pixie dust from a CM, but whether you have a toddler with you or not will likely not be considered. Your (or your companion's) need will be assessed for the DAS. We are just saying to be prepared to tour without a DAS. Make your plans around that. If you get one, that is a bonus, but do not rely on it.

I will say that your questions specifically about FOP got me thinking - does anyone know how a DAS is handled with rider switch? Especially with the new electronic system. If there is a younger child, can the second group ride without the DAS rider? I honestly never even thought about it and we are beyond the rider switch stage, but it may help someone to know.

You may get some pixie dust from a CM, but whether you have a toddler with you or not will likely not be considered. Your (or your companion's) need will be assessed for the DAS. We are just saying to be prepared to tour without a DAS. Make your plans around that. If you get one, that is a bonus, but do not rely on it.

I will say that your questions specifically about FOP got me thinking - does anyone know how a DAS is handled with rider switch? Especially with the new electronic system. If there is a younger child, can the second group ride without the DAS rider? I honestly never even thought about it and we are beyond the rider switch stage, but it may help someone to know.

DAS and Rider Switch are different programs so you can use them in conjunction but not together. A Rider Switch will help this party's adults to ride a ride while one of them wrangles the toddler, then they can switch off. DAS can help them condense their wait time at a standby ride so they are not waiting 2 hours with no hope of moving forward. As far as I understand, if you obtained a DAS pass, the DAS holder does indeed HAVE to ride. So if FOP is a ride that the OP is concerned about mobility with, it might be better served with a Rider Switch than a DAS.

Huge caveat though: If OP is the sole adult helping a mobility-disabled adult on and off the rides, PLUS having a toddler... unfortunately neither Rider Switch nor DAS will help with that scenario. :( You really will need one more person.

The DAS rider will ride first if there is someone in the group that is not tall enough then they will give you a rider switch when you com back for your return time or this is what the Cm told the group in front of me

The issue is I’m planning for time if I am the sole adult with the toddler.

Manual wheelchair cannot work. EVC would require her to ride on my lap or walk tethered - neither safe. So how am I supposed to transport a child, and all our stuff, through WDW without walking? The DAS pass would allow me to move about the park, parent and supervise my child, but limit the issue that causes me problems (stopping and starting, and long periods of standing in one place). I’m fine waiting the two hours for a ride like FOP - but doing it from a bench while my daughter plays means I can enjoy my trip without a high degree of pain that ENDS my trip.

If it helps to understand, I came pretty close to crawling in Buckingham Palace and at the Vatican because of these issues. I’ve learned my triggers, so now I try to stop them before they get worse. Hence the effort to address long lines.

I plan to use FP, rope drop, etc, as well as a Rider Switch if I have another adult. However, my other adults have issues and may need wheelchairs too. So they can’t push me or wrangle my child (which, frankly, isn’t their job to begin with).

I didn’t intend to get into these details. I really just wanted to know about how the DAS pass works with FP! But I hope that gives some insight into why “the toddler” is part of my equation.

Manual wheelchair cannot work. EVC would require her to ride on my lap or walk tethered - neither safe. So how am I supposed to transport a child, and all our stuff, through WDW without walking? The DAS pass would allow me to move about the park, parent and supervise my child, but limit the issue that causes me problems (stopping and starting, and long periods of standing in one place). I’m fine waiting the two hours for a ride like FOP - but doing it from a bench while my daughter plays means I can enjoy my trip without a high degree of pain that ENDS my trip.

If it helps to understand, I came pretty close to crawling in Buckingham Palace and at the Vatican because of these issues. I’ve learned my triggers, so now I try to stop them before they get worse. Hence the effort to address long lines.

I plan to use FP, rope drop, etc, as well as a Rider Switch if I have another adult. However, my other adults have issues and may need wheelchairs too. So they can’t push me or wrangle my child (which, frankly, isn’t their job to begin with).

I didn’t intend to get into these details. I really just wanted to know about how the DAS pass works with FP! But I hope that gives some insight into why “the toddler” is part of my equation.

I totally understand what you're saying, but folks here are just trying to make you aware that toddler or no toddler, mobility issue are normally not grounds for a DAS. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ask for one, and you may well get one, but it's more likely that you won't, as needing accommodation because you're alone with a toddler isn't (or rather, shouldn't) be part of the consideration of whether or not to grant a DAS.

I understand - which is why I followed up with the “Folks, I understand” post. But the point of my post was the FP and DAS intersection, not whether I’m entitled to a DAS pass or not.

I also disagree that my specific situation should not be considered. To me, that’s the whole purpose of the DAS pass - to address specific situations when other accommodations do not resolve the problem. In my case, wheelchairs do not solve my mobility problem, though they would for others. My disability may be resolved by a wheelchair, but my particular situation prevents that solution from being a viable alternative.

My biggest worry is FOP, as a two hour wait is a no go. My hope and plan is to arrange other rides around FP with shorter waits.

I actually am glad I asked, though, because I thought we would not be able to ride ANYTHING while in the DAS queue, since the whole point is to mimic a real queue. That was what was so ironic about the comment about planning - planning is exactly what I’m trying to do!

Perhaps a better idea would be a limited DAS? It’s not a one size fits all issue with a singular solution, and I’m sure I can’t be the only single parent with this particular problem!

if this is answered somewhere, I apologize!

If you get the DAS, how does that work with FP? If I get to FOP at 915 am and there is a 2 hour wait, can I get a return time with the DAS and still use a prescheduled 9-10 and 10-11 FP?

If I have DAS return time, can I ride other rides in that wait in a walk-in standby line?

If I have a DAS return time, can I schedule and then use a FP while I wait?

My research indicates that the DAS return time means I can’t ride anything else (since if I was in the queue, I couldn’t ride). Is this correct?

I think the DAS policy sounds fair, I’m just not clear if I can use the time to walk on another ride, or if I’m bench bound for the wait period. I’m specifically interested in FOP, in case I don’t get a FP and the wait may be two hours or more. If we literally are sitting on a bench, then I might want to time it to lunch or maybe my FPs.

Yes. I’m expecting this. Another in my party has a spinal issue. We don’t have enough people to use wheelchairs, and an ECV won’t accommodate my toddler.

It sounds like FP operate independently, correct? I’m not going to walk all over the park for a ride, but if I can entertain the toddler with something close by I would like to.

You've got me confused - will you or won't you have another adult who can handle the toddler while you ride FOP? Are you the one with the DAS? The toddler will not be allowed in any queue that has a height requirement not met by the toddler, so in order to do RS, you need someone who can handle the toddler. The DAS won't work for you if they can't wrangle the kid while you ride. So I'm not sure what your issue is? You can get a DAS, it works like an extra FP. You can have your 3 FP already lined up beforehand, and use them at the scheduled time. But you can't get a new DAS return time until you use the first DAS time.

The DAS pass would allow me to move about the park, parent and supervise my child, but limit the issue that causes me problems (stopping and starting, and long periods of standing in one place).
My disability may be resolved by a wheelchair, but my particular situation prevents that solution from being a viable alternative.
Not the intent or purpose of the DAS. Respectfully, bringing an additional person to wrangle the toddler would be a more viable alternative.

Others have answered your initial question -- yes DAS can (and should) be used with FP+; it is designed to be used together. You may do whatever you choose while waiting for a DAS return time -- eat, shop, ride something else, walk, sit, go back to your resort, etc.

You keep saying the DAS is because you will be alone with the toddler, others won't be able to help. But you also keep mentioning FoP, which has a height requirement and the toddler cannot ride. I think that is why posters are confused - you don’t have help with the child and yet you want an accommodation specifically for 1 ride for which you must have additional help with the child. If the others in your party ride first and get a Rider Swap while you wait with the child, you will use the FP+ line to return with the Rider Swap - no DAS needed. If you are given a DAS, you must ride with the DAS - the others can't ride and let you do Rider Swap. There will be no benches to sit on while waiting; WDW has very few benches in the parks anymore. If you will need a place to sit, the recommendation is to provide your own with a mobility device.

I agree with others who suggest you plan to not have DAS. Yes, you can request it. You may get one. But they also would be within policy to deny it. An accommodation does not have to be your preferred accommodation. Also be aware that even with a DAS you could be in a queue for 15-20 minutes of slow moving and/or stop/start; reports of FoP have varied with some taking a half hour in the queue even with FP+. And there are many other areas of the vacation where a DAS won't help -- transportation, waiting for dining ADRs, ride pre-shows. I suggest you have a plan that doesn’t involve DAS, then if you get it that will be a bonus rather than an unplanned challenge.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter