Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Return to Queue

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • OTHER

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Other Accommodations

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
How would you have solved the problem differently? DAS usage was so high it was dramatically impacting park ops with no sign it would slow down. How would you have done it differently? I don’t ask sarcastically or to defend Disney. I’m sick by how many people are being left behind. Honestly wondering if there was a better solution.

(I’m taking a bit of a different perspective after seeing a report in the polling thread here on DIS from someone there now who overheard people applying for DAS with stuff the poster felt never should have qualified and their take from a blue umbrella of a person demanding access to the service who absolutely didn’t qualify. Things were definitely more out of hand than I had any idea.)
Address the root causes of the problem and that is that there are a lot of little things that are still missing, such as streetmosphere, maintenance, nickel and dining everything, fewer shows, parades, etc. any of these things on their own isn't going to make a hug difference, but look at it as a whole and it can make a difference. Additionally, bring back a form of free fast pass, doesn't need to be what it used to be, but something and have paid upgrades. At bare minimum make Genie+ be able to repeat rides, they could even say a max of x rides per day or something to control the number done in a day.

Additionally, give people more information upfront, such as make videos that show the accessible procedures at every attraction (some other theme parks around the world are doing this), make 3d models of all attractions and characters for those with low vision, be very clear what you need for assistance.

I think changing to 4 people max makes sense, as long as exceptions can be made for larger parties with minor children.

For queues that are not wheelchair accessible, instead of basing the return times on the wait times, base them on attraction needs and how many are returning at any given time.

To that end, don't issue return times for attractions that can absorb the extra people like small world and such when there is no one returning, the impact will be minimal on those queues, but draw the groups away from other queues that they would impact.

Do what a lot of other parks are doing and provide sensory rooms where people who need it can take a break from the sensory overload, at WDW, make sure there are plenty spread throughout the parks, not just one or two per park. DLR might be able to do one or two per park. This may also help reduce the need for a DAS for some.

Additionally offer sensory bags free of charge, something a lot of other parks are doing. Some of the items like headphones need to be returned at the end of the day, so there may need to be a refundable deposit to ensure they are returned.

Also, understand there are just more disabled people today than even a couple of years ago, percentage wise, which will be reflected in the parks, so policies need to account for that and find ways to better accommodate that fact by increasing capacity and paying closer attention to accessibility issues, like making sure all queues are fully accessible for mobility scooters.

If a CM doesn't have accommodations for their job, chances are they shouldn't qualify for a DAS (but there may be exceptions there too), so scrutinize that scenario more. Of.course that doesn't apply if it is someone that the CM is signing in that needs the DAS, as they aren't a CM.

Again, nothing on its own will do it, there needs to be a holistic approach and no, it wouldn't solve all of the problems, but a lot of them. These are just a few steps that could have been taken and really should have been.

But I do think moving it away from in park CMs to make the decision makes sense as well, it should reduce CMs giving friends and influencers and such DAS's when they shouldn't qualify.

They aren’t going to have extra CMs at each attraction, those that think they will are fooling themselves and if they do, it will last a couple of months and go away. This policy definitely harms more than helps, but mark my words, Disney is doing it solely to make more money.
I dont think disney is doing this to make more money. The "old" system was rampant with abuse.

Address the root causes of the problem and that is that there are a lot of little things that are still missing, such as streetmosphere, maintenance, nickel and dining everything, fewer shows, parades, etc. any of these things on their own isn't going to make a hug difference, but look at it as a whole and it can make a difference. Additionally, bring back a form of free fast pass, doesn't need to be what it used to be, but something and have paid upgrades. At bare minimum make Genie+ be able to repeat rides, they could even say a max of x rides per day or something to control the number done in a day.

Additionally, give people more information upfront, such as make videos that show the accessible procedures at every attraction (some other theme parks around the world are doing this), make 3d models of all attractions and characters for those with low vision, be very clear what you need for assistance.

I think changing to 4 people max makes sense, as long as exceptions can be made for larger parties with minor children.

For queues that are not wheelchair accessible, instead of basing the return times on the wait times, base them on attraction needs and how many are returning at any given time.

To that end, don't issue return times for attractions that can absorb the extra people like small world and such when there is no one returning, the impact will be minimal on those queues, but draw the groups away from other queues that they would impact.

Do what a lot of other parks are doing and provide sensory rooms where people who need it can take a break from the sensory overload, at WDW, make sure there are plenty spread throughout the parks, not just one or two per park. DLR might be able to do one or two per park. This may also help reduce the need for a DAS for some.

Additionally offer sensory bags free of charge, something a lot of other parks are doing. Some of the items like headphones need to be returned at the end of the day, so there may need to be a refundable deposit to ensure they are returned.

Also, understand there are just more disabled people today than even a couple of years ago, percentage wise, which will be reflected in the parks, so policies need to account for that and find ways to better accommodate that fact by increasing capacity and paying closer attention to accessibility issues, like making sure all queues are fully accessible for mobility scooters.

If a CM doesn't have accommodations for their job, chances are they shouldn't qualify for a DAS (but there may be exceptions there too), so scrutinize that scenario more. Of.course that doesn't apply if it is someone that the CM is signing in that needs the DAS, as they aren't a CM.

Again, nothing on its own will do it, there needs to be a holistic approach and no, it wouldn't solve all of the problems, but a lot of them. These are just a few steps that could have been taken and really should have been.

But I do think moving it away from in park CMs to make the decision makes sense as well, it should reduce CMs giving friends and influencers and such DAS's when they shouldn't qualify.
When we signed up yesterday we were provided a link for the locations of the quiet rooms/areas that are available in the WDW parks.

Last edited:
I have heard a few people say they are aware of people who were decline, but I think all were adults.
That’s interesting, I wonder why?

I got DAS last year because recent changes to my condition. Even when the day seems fine, and I’m feeling good, I’m still having unpredictable issue of varying severity.
I wonder what might happen if I have issues in line.

I wonder what they’ll suggest I do - DAS has helped me keep my energy up throughout the day, and enabled me to spend a full day at the parks this last go around. It’s going to be such a shame to lose it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got done with my DAS interview and was approved.

I’m an autistic adult with low support needs who only travels with friends. I’m also an AP holder. I do have another condition that is exacerbated by my autism. I explained my concerns with waiting in line and once I was done they had no further questions and approved me.

They spent some time going over the new accommodations they offer as well and they said the return to queue option is even available to those who also have DAS.

I’m an autistic adult with low support needs who only travels with friends. I’m also an AP holder. I do have another condition that is exacerbated by my autism. I explained my concerns with waiting in line and once I was done they had no further questions and approved me.

They spent some time going over the new accommodations they offer as well and they said the return to queue option is even available to those who also have DAS.
Did they explain the return to queue option?

I got DAS last year because recent changes to my medications have made it more difficult for me.
You're gonna wanna delete the rest of that. You don't want a bag egg coming in here and stealing your issues :(

(The liars do that, they read these threads for details they can try to adopt and claim as their own to try for a pass.)

I got DAS last year because recent changes to my medications have made it more difficult for me to be seizure free when I’m physically fatigued, dehydrated/suffering from electrolyte imbalances, out in the elements for too long, etc. Even when the day seems fine, and I’m feeling good, I’m still having unpredictable seizures of varying severity.

Any seizure patient will tell you that they hate having to go to the ED for a seizure, and I’m worried about having one in public and having to do exactly that. I’m also worried about hitting my head on a handrail while waiting in line, or being physically aggressive while I’m postictal.

I wonder what they’ll suggest I do - DAS has helped me keep my energy up throughout the day, and enabled me to spend a full day at the parks this last go around. It’s going to be such a shame to lose it.
I have spoken with another parent at my child's school that was denied DAS for herself where in the past they were approved. Their issue was fatigue, leg swelling along with fainting from heat and standing too long. They stated that they were informed that most ques can accommodate wheelchairs or electric scooters. I asked them if they were told to rent a wheelchair or scooter and they said no, just that most lines for the rides are designed to handle them.

Did they explain the return to queue option?
They did, but honestly I was so nervous that their words weren’t fully registering in my brain at that point. From what I can recall, they said even if I have the DAS, if I have an issue in the LL, I can utilize the return to queue accommodation.

Sorry I couldn’t be more specific.

I did mine this morning for my son and it was approved. He was also running around naked in the background screaming Dumbo so I don't know if that played a part in it. :laughing: We have used it for years now with him. The CM pretty much interrupted me after about a minute to take his picture. He is rather eccentric to put it mildly.

I have spoken with another parent at my child's school that was denied DAS for herself where in the past they were approved. Their issue was fatigue, leg swelling along with fainting from heat and standing too long. They stated that they were informed that most ques can accommodate wheelchairs or electric scooters. I asked them if they were told to rent a wheelchair or scooter and they said no, just that most lines for the rides are designed to handle them.
I know a lot of people here will probably disagree, but that seems reasonable to me. If you can walk around the park without the need for a wheelchair, then why would walking through the queue be different? If you do need a wheelchair in the park, and the lines are accessible, then why do you need the LL?

I remember when I was downvoted out of existence for bringing up DAS abuse. I know of so many people abusing DAS it’s ridiculous. How do I know? Well mostly they brag about it. “Why would you pay for genie plus when you could get DAS for free”.
As a child of an amputee I would never consider abusing the DAS system.
I remember my parents refusing a free upgrade to an accessible suite because “someone else might need it more”. I seriously hope this system helps those who really need it. And cut out those people who feel it’s a free genie plus pass.

Were you approved solo or for a DAS party that included your friends? So far it sounds like most adults have been solo.

Were you approved solo or for a DAS party that included your friends? So far it sounds like most adults have been solo.
I was approved with friends.

Here is a post I made in the other thread about how the DAS travel party works.
I forgot to include this in my original post about the DAS interview, but they no longer require everyone in your family and friends list to have an upcoming park reservation with you to add them to your travel party. I’m guessing this only applies to guests with APs.

After I was approved, they asked if there was anyone else I would be traveling with frequently and that they could add them. I was able to add 4 people from my family and friend’s list. They are trying to make it so you don’t have to go back to the online chat as often since you can no longer add/remove guests in the park.

This is Disney’s verbiage for clarity (as explained by the CM I talked to today):

Travel Party - An unlimited number of people linked to DAS holder from their family and friends list.

Riding Party - A group up to 4 from the Travel Party.

I did mine this morning for my son and it was approved. He was also running around naked in the background screaming Dumbo so I don't know if that played a part in it. :laughing: We have used it for years now with him. The CM pretty much interrupted me after about a minute to take his picture. He is rather eccentric to put it mildly.
I’m laughing because this was my son a few years back running in circles and the CM giggled as took a pic of him. Of course he also had to hold the cat for the pic because, why not?

I know a lot of people here will probably disagree, but that seems reasonable to me. If you can walk around the park without the need for a wheelchair, then why would walking through the queue be different? If you do need a wheelchair in the park, and the lines are accessible, then why do you need the LL?
I can’t speak for others, but I am capable of walking for about 20 minutes without a problem. When I walk through the parks, I can control my pace, avoid bottlenecks, and sit on a bench to rest if needed.

A long line is a whole different ballgame. It’s a lot of starting and stopping. It is a lot of standing still for a few minutes here and there. Most lines do not have benches where you can take a rest.

Walking from point A to point B is a lot different than standing in a slow moving line for 60-120 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter