DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I still wonder how much difference just cutting out the pretrip rides make. I'm told this has only occurred it the last few years. We only use DAS the last two years since DH started with bigger health problems. If the requests for DAS has increased 5 fold and if half of those chose the pretrip option, that's still a lot of rides.

I find now allowing the cane chair interesting. It sounds like it would be great for someone like me. Can walk fine, but the standing still is harder. (I am a rocker, started doing that while I worked as a cashier 20 years ago) Those 10 mins shows at Christmas time in Epcot can be tough. I'd love to just use a cane chair for that. But it would seem someone who needs a cane to get around all the time, would have issues getting up and down from a cane chair.

Last edited:
Rollators are allowed. I used one in November. A CM will take it right before loading and it will be waiting where you exit the ride. My husband grabbed mine for me after we rode.
While rollators are most welcome, cane seats are not (as seats) as they are fairly unstable and Disney does not want people to fall, get injured, and/or potentially block attraction lines or interrupt regular, non-emergency park operations.

While rollators are most welcome, cane seats are not (as seats) as they are fairly unstable and Disney does not want people to fall, get injured, and/or potentially block attraction lines or interrupt regular, non-emergency park operations.
I believe the updates on Disney’s disability page now specifically mention cane seats as an option.

Can you find it? I thought so too, but I can't find it. But my computer skills are not all that great.
It’s under Accessing Attraction Queues
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/accessing-attractions-queues/

Here are a few tips and techniques to manage waiting in queues:
  • Encourage other members of your party to help create space around you in line to make it more comfortable.
  • In a theme park environment that requires additional walking or standing, bring a mobility device such as a wheelchair, ECV, walker with a seat or a cane chair.

I mean they can certainly limit how many people come with you from now on.
That’s the most salient point of the changes to me - limiting DAS party size automatically eliminates the large groups using a DAS as a touring plan instead of as a legitimate disability accomodation. I’d think, based on reports we’ve heard, that that change alone will cut down the number of people in LLs on its own.

I’m not sure how it works at the backend of the tech, but I do know that the CM can see my Friends & Family list, because each time I’ve renewed my DAS they ask if I’d like to add as a rider a friend who’s still linked to me but hasn’t actually been to WDW in many years. So they can see if the DAS holder has dozens of people in their F&F list and that may help identify abusers? IDK what “normal” looks like for the average Disney Guest in that regard: I currently have 6 people in my F&F list and feel it’s too many - too much potential for me to accidentally mess up someone else’s plans! - but do others typically have a lot?

~~~

As an aside to all, but especially anyone worried about reduced DAS access and/or wanting to see how they’re able to do without using it - I cannot recommend enough using a non-Disney app for more realistic wait times. I don’t work for any one of them: not plugging something for personal gain! But I’ve used one for as long as it’s been in existence and it makes a HUGE difference in determining what I can manage with or without DAS. Disney’s official wait times are ridiculously inflated much of the time, to the tune of an official wait saying 60 mins when in reality it may only be 20. Having that info is largely why I use DAS pretty sparingly most visits.

If Disney is going with a Rider Swap accommodation for SOME disabilities that preclude traditional queues, I fail to see why it shouldn't be the answer for ALL disabilities that preclude traditional queues. A family with an autistic child who can't tolerate a queue can rider swap just the same as a family including someone with physical or anxiety issues.

Whoever can't queue waits elsewhere (with another family member if desired/needed). Exceptions for parties of 1 or 2, or parties where there are only 2 adults with kids under 13 and one adult is needed to care for the other adult outside the queue.

If it is to be the plan for one disability, it can be the plan for all. That's fair.

If Disney is going with a Rider Swap accommodation for SOME disabilities that preclude traditional queues, I fail to see why it shouldn't be the answer for ALL disabilities that preclude traditional queues. A family with an autistic child who can't tolerate a queue can rider swap just the same as a family including someone with physical or anxiety issues.

Whoever can't queue waits elsewhere (with another family member if desired/needed). Exceptions for parties of 1 or 2, or parties where there are only 2 adults with kids under 13 and one adult is needed to care for the other adult outside the queue.

If it is to be the plan for one disability, it can be the plan for all. That's fair.
Wholeheartedly agree, and consistent with my comment on equal protection under the law earlier in this thread.

That’s the most salient point of the changes to me - limiting DAS party size automatically eliminates the large groups using a DAS as a touring plan instead of as a legitimate disability accomodation. I’d think, based on reports we’ve heard, that that change alone will cut down the number of people in LLs on its own.

I’m not sure how it works at the backend of the tech, but I do know that the CM can see my Friends & Family list, because each time I’ve renewed my DAS they ask if I’d like to add as a rider a friend who’s still linked to me but hasn’t actually been to WDW in many years. So they can see if the DAS holder has dozens of people in their F&F list and that may help identify abusers? IDK what “normal” looks like for the average Disney Guest in that regard: I currently have 6 people in my F&F list and feel it’s too many - too much potential for me to accidentally mess up someone else’s plans! - but do others typically have a lot?

~~~

As an aside to all, but especially anyone worried about reduced DAS access and/or wanting to see how they’re able to do without using it - I cannot recommend enough using a non-Disney app for more realistic wait times. I don’t work for any one of them: not plugging something for personal gain! But I’ve used one for as long as it’s been in existence and it makes a HUGE difference in determining what I can manage with or without DAS. Disney’s official wait times are ridiculously inflated much of the time, to the tune of an official wait saying 60 mins when in reality it may only be 20. Having that info is largely why I use DAS pretty sparingly most visits.
I'll tell you that I probably have 20 ppl. and I have no idea how that would somehow "identify" me as an abuser. I don't see how it correlates at all. It just means we've gone to Disney with different ppl. and groups throughout the years. Certainly if you think you'll mess up someone's plans who's on your list, take them off, but I don't see this as anything to do with das.

I'll tell you that I probably have 20 ppl. and I have no idea how that would somehow "identify" me as an abuser. I don't see how it correlates at all. It just means we've gone to Disney with different ppl. and groups throughout the years. Certainly if you think you'll mess up someone's plans who's on your list, take them off, but I don't see this as anything to do with das.
I agree - I just looked at my list - it is relatively long because over the years I’ve traveled with different groups of family members, I’ve always been in charge of planning and I just never thought to clean it up.

But of the 20+ people listed only 5 have ever accompanied me on an attraction using DAS (not on the same trip) and even that has been very rare - usually it is just 1 person. I assume Disney would be able to easily verify this based on dates of entry into the parks and/or our Magic band usage at the attractions.

I can explain why that I don't think a blanket rule like that wouldn't work for my family.

We are two parents and a child who has used DAS. Child is 11, so as I understand it, Disney feels that is old enough to wait in a queue alone and ride alone. In your example, Rider Swap would be our accommodation.

For a normal ride, one parent waits with child while other parent waits in line. After ride, first parent and child ride. Got it, that's fair, if not a great family vacation.

However, specifically for my family, one parent will not ride any "thrill" rides, defined fairly loosely. Anything with a real drop is out, from Barnstormer and Slinky and up. Trackless or simulators like Rise and FOP are OK.

So for these rides where we have 1 parent who will ride, 1 who will not and child with accommodation, we have a few options -

• Riding parent waits standby, child uses rider swap. This doesn't seem like much of a solution - just because Disney feels 7 years old is old enough, we don't feel that our child with a disability should be waiting on a line alone.
  • Non-riding parent waits standby but uses the chicken exit, then riding parent and child ride. This is just silly.
  • We skip this ride.
This may very well be the accommodation offered, and if so, I would at least explain the above. Perhaps Disney IT is working on a more limited or targeted system. If not and this was the only accommodation, we would likely skip (or drop rope) as much of these rides as possible, only if rope drop is possible on those days based on child.

~~~

I don’t think it will be “limiting DAS party sizes” so much as it will be limiting the number of people in a DAS party who are allowed into the LL. For example, a “DAS party” could still be a party of 6 adults, including the DAS holder who has IBS (for example) and the accommodation could be that the DAS holder is allowed to enter the LL with one other member of the DAS party, provided that some of the other members of the party have first done the ride using the standby line. This would accommodate the disability as well as allow the party to take turns with who gets to ride with whom.

It seems that Disney’s approach going forward will change from “should we accommodate this disability by giving the entire party LL access?” to “how can we accommodate this disability while minimizing the number of people in the party who get to use the LL?”. Disney are not monsters and in certain situations (solo traveler, or parent with a disabled child, for example) the accommodation may end up being exactly the same as it is today. But larger parties where rider swap would work may well see a change.

Last edited:
I can explain why that I don't think a blanket rule like that wouldn't work for my family.

We are two parents and a child who has used DAS. Child is 11, so as I understand it, Disney feels that is old enough to wait in a queue alone and ride alone. In your example, Rider Swap would be our accommodation.

For a normal ride, one parent waits with child while other parent waits in line. After ride, first parent and child ride. Got it, that's fair, if not a great family vacation.

However, specifically for my family, one parent will not ride any "thrill" rides, defined fairly loosely. Anything with a real drop is out, from Barnstormer and Slinky and up. Trackless or simulators like Rise and FOP are OK.

So for these rides where we have 1 parent who will ride, 1 who will not and child with accommodation, we have a few options -

• Riding parent waits standby, child uses rider swap. This doesn't seem like much of a solution - just because Disney feels 7 years old is old enough, we don't feel that our child with a disability should be waiting on a line alone.
  • Non-riding parent waits standby but uses the chicken exit, then riding parent and child ride. This is just silly.
  • We skip this ride.
This may very well be the accommodation offered, and if so, I would at least explain the above. Perhaps Disney IT is working on a more limited or targeted system. If not and this was the only accommodation, we would likely skip (or drop rope) as much of these rides as possible, only if rope drop is possible on those days based on child.
What you describe happens to many families. When rider swap doesn't work out for families they don't ride whatever attraction.

I know I brought it up not even that long ago but truly some of these situations people are saying "it doesn't work for my traveling party" need (and I say this respectfully) to understand that it's the reality for many traveling parties that go to any theme park.

I know I brought it up not even that long ago but truly some of these situations people are saying "it doesn't work for my traveling party" need (and I say this respectfully) to understand that it's the reality for many traveling parties that go to any theme park.
Considering I specifically said we'd make it work if that was the offered accommodation, I'm not sure what your point is here.

If this is the reality for many traveling parties, including a child who has issues waiting in queues which I won't delve into, then I would suggest that a blanket rider swap doesn't work for those families either.

Considering I specifically said we'd make it work if that was the offered accommodation, I'm not sure what your point is here.

If this is the reality for many traveling parties, including a child who has issues waiting in queues which I won't delve into, then I would suggest that a blanket rider swap doesn't work for those families either.
----Hit reply before typing----

Well you prefaced it by saying "I can explain why that I don't think a blanket rule like that wouldn't work for my family."

It's the reality for many guests. Why would your situation make a difference for a traveling party who has someone who can't ride something for any numerous reasons including a child? What accommodation do you think they should get? And (outside of rider swap) when a parent doesn't feel their child should wait alone in a ride queue then that means that child doesn't ride that attraction.

In your situation you said one of the parents is fine with simulators and trackless rides..well I'm personally not okay with those due to my motion sickness. Remy was awful for me never riding that again, Runaway Railway similar to me though I may be able to ride that later on. FOP the first time I rode that 95% of it my eyes were closed and the saving grace was the air circulating in my face. It was easier the second time I rode it (5 years later) but it still gets to me. Guardians was a one and done and I was very happy that the ride malfunctioned halfway through (it was during AP previews). Tron I'm actually concerned if I can ride it due to the height/drop. Star Tours is a nope for me now. ToT also a nope for me. The list goes on.

So for example's sake let's say it's my husband and I and a child. Rider swap won't be working out for us for a wide variety of attractions. And we're not really unique here in how our traveling party would be. No one should be assuming guests without DAS accommodations are able to and are actually riding all the rides, seeing all the shows, parades and fireworks.

As to your comment about it being silly that the non-riding parent goes through the standby and takes the chicken exit you may not be aware but that is what happens as a norm over at Universal. You are free to go through the standbyline (including Express Pass or single rider) even if you have no intention of riding. In fact the TMs will encourage people to do this say for Forbidden Journey. I myself rode Hagrid's once (I wanted to try it and nope it's a one and done for me) and the second time I rode it I went through the line with my husband and then waited off in the rider swap area (which is located right around the loading area for that particular attraction) for my husband to get off the attraction. Most times I will opt to wait outside an attraction for my husband to ride (and that's a lot of rides I'm doing this for including Disney) but I have the option of going with him even as a non-rider. Yes I realize your child has issues with queues but it is not a silly thing to have a non-rider go through the line as a general.

I know this isn't really anyone's intent so it's not aimed at any one particular poster but sometimes the comments are coming off like there's no acknowledgement of what happens for the other guests. And as I repeat again there's no accommodation for them as they don't qualify for things. Some of the comments (again not aimed at any one poster) are more like because someone has an individual in their traveling party that used to qualify for DAS as it had been utilized should deserve to get it just on the basis of that. I know the uncertainty and well the constant changing of what's on the website is behind a lot of the undercurrent of the comments :flower3:

Last edited:

I have two concerns with this - one I have mentioned before.

We are a party of 3 and I only use the DAS for attractions where I want to ride with my dd's. So, this leaves one dd in line, one with me and then two of us riding again. In this case I will just go back to skipping not only the attractions I can't ride but also those with lines my DAS addresses like I did pre-DAS.

Second - it would have to be like a DAS in some way that would give you pre-approval for RS and indicate this to the CM via MB/MDE. Otherwise, we are stuck explaining issues/conditions to the attractions CM's, in a more public setting, anytime we want to experience an attraction using RS.

I have two concerns with this - one I have mentioned before.

We are a party of 3 and I only use the DAS for attractions where I want to ride with my dd's. So, this leaves one dd in line, one with me and then two of us riding again. In this case I will just go back to skipping not only the attractions I can't ride but also those with lines my DAS addresses like I did pre-DAS.

Second - it would have to be like a DAS in some way that would give you pre-approval for RS and indicate this to the CM via MB/MDE. Otherwise, we are stuck explaining issues/conditions to the attractions CM's, in a more public setting, anytime we want to experience an attraction using RS.
My guess is when you do the interview for DAS they will probably set up Rider Swap if that's what they deem works for your party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter