DAS for RA

Uggh I think I know my answer, I nearly made a mistake again. Time to put this in the past

When the policy is changes hopefully it will be publicized and I'll be back otherwise I'll wait for a cruise when my kids have kids and that's that - such a shame
That's sad, because with a scooter you could certainly enjoy the parks. This policy isn't going anywhere. I really get the feeling this is more about wanting to skip lines for you, and the loss if the ability to do that.

I have RA and a number of other medical conditions. The only way I can do WDW is using an ECV. I do NOT need or use an ECV anywhere else except when visiting a large zoo.

At WDW I also use a DAS but I wualify for it not because of the RA, but because of (1) issues related to the side effects of one of my RA medications, and (2) issues other medical conditions. The RA issues themselves, as noted by previous posters, are mobility/stamina issues and are addressed by the ECV and careful planning.

I absolutely get not wanting to use an ECV, but at the end of the day it is a TOOL, just like wearing glasses. At WDW, it can be a very necessary tool. On my first trip with the ECV a number of years ago, the first day we were just going to do DHS for a few hours in the evening to see the holiday lights. I figured no big deal, I'll leave the ECV in the hotel room its only a few hours. So we went to DHS. By hour two I was in severe pain. By hour 3 I could barely walk. In the fourth hour we left and I was in more severe pain that I had been in years, could barely walk, and barely made it back to the hotel room. We had to stop freuently. I was crying the whole way. The pain continued for days. We nearly didn't go to the parks the next day [we did, later in the day, using the ECV]. That silly decision, to not use the ECV, nearly ruined the vacation. I used the ECV for the rest of the trip and it made a MASSIVE difference. I have used it all subsequent WDW trips when we visit parks and the difference is light and day, for both myself, and for my family. I have more energy, so much less pain, and we are all able to enjoy the trip so much more.

It is absolutely NOT about marking a progression of the disease. It is about a very unique situation that is unlike ANY other situation you are in. A park day at WDW is MILES of walking a day. 6-8 miles or more easily. It is standing around/on your feet for hours combined with that walking. With RA, that is usually a unique recipe for problems. I'm reasonably sure if you had a conversation with your rhuematologist about visiting Disney World and the amount of walking and standing involved they would be supporting of using an ECV **for that specific unique situation**. I know mine was, he thought it was a great and appropriate solution.

And using the ECV does NOT mean using it 100% of the time. This is how I make use of it:
- I use it if going to the parks
- I may or may not use it around the resort, depending on how I feel at the moment/day -- crappy day, I use it, great day I probably won't unless I am doing a massive amount of walking exploring the resort or doing a "resort tour" of multiple resorts [we like down days where we do no parks and explore other resorts or hang out at ours]
- when going to the parks, if I am having a bad day I will take the ECV into the ride lines that allow it (almost all do) and then transfer to the ride vehicle
- if having a good day, I will park the ECV in an area then walk the ride line(s), I may do more than one ride in an area this way, then go back to the ECV and move it to the next ride or next area depending on how I am feeling
- this gives me flexibility throughout the day to adjust how I use the ECV... have a good hour, park and walk, need to move around, do some walking, need to sit and ride, then ride it.
- if I am in a line and need to get up and move, my sister takes over the ecv and i walk a bit then switch back
- I will often park outside stores or restaurants too and walk inside

Also, an advantage of the ECV is I can wiggle like crazy on it, keeping myself mobile and minimizing the chance that stiffness will set in. I can move pretty much any joint around easily, big movements or small. So I am not technically in any "one" position for any length of time.

So, I control how much I walk versus "ride", and how I make use of the ECV.

Finally, with regard to the DAS. It works differently than the old GAC did. You get a "return time" which allows you to return in a specified amount of time (based on the standby time for the attraction) and then you enter the Fastpass line, which is generally a shorter line than the standby line. But still a line.

The DAS is issued for those who have difficulty with being in the line environment and who would be better being able to spend their time waiting outside the line environment. The issue is related to the line environment itself. DAS is not issued for mobility/stamina issues because the issue is not with the line environment itself, and the issue is felt to be resolvable with the use of a wheelchair or ECV or other mobility device.

Is a person with a mobility/stamina issue uses a mobility device and it still isn't working for them, then they can certainly approach guest services to discuss their continuuing difficulty and see what guest services can offer in way of assistance.

Note that for any discussion of assistance needs with guest services they do NOT need to know your medical issues. They need to know your NEEDS. Whatever the medical issue is, it results in a need/issue/problem that needs a solution. They don't need to know the medical issue (and in fact, knowing won't help that much as they are not medically trained), they need to understand the need/issue/problem that results so they can identify the appropriate solution (be that mobility device, DAS, or something else).

Hope this helps.

SW

I really would not count on getting a DAS but you are more then welcomed to go to GR and exsplain your needs ( you can even write it down on a paper if you like) Think about waiting in line and what would make waiting in line hard for you to do. No one here can say I have RA and I said XYZ to get a DAS because everyone has different needs. If you do get a DAS then it will be up to you to find a place to sit while you wait for your return time. You said it has been a number of years since you have be to Disney Disney has been taking away place to sit left and right and the few places to sit there are normally other people sitting there. Useing a mobility device is just like useing a tool you would not say I will not use glasses if you can not see or hearing aids if you can not hear. Glasses for most are not you put them on all the time your awake but only when you read. Even with the DAS there is a lot of walking miles aday and you would more then likley need some type of help with some type of mobility device ( an ECV a roller or wheelchair) now just becuse you have a mobility device dose not mean you have to use it all the time someone over the age of 18 can use your ECV ( my firend had touse one but she also have to walk some too so I would sit in lines in it and she would walk this way if she needed it she could sit) a wheelchair can be pushed and sit in and pushed a roller can be sit in I would talk to your family befre the trip and just say since there is a lot of walking and standing I have decided to use a mobility device to help make the trip as good as it can be. Chance are they will not care they will be happy you are with them making memey and you are not in pain becuse you stood to long when you could not find somewhere to sit or your not in pain because you walked to fair your not back at the hotel resting because the day before you overdid it with all the walking and standing.

I can not tell you how many people here resisted using a mobility device I think @mamabunny sate can cryed the first time she used one and by the end of the day, she was still ready to go while her family was like no. It really sounds like your ego is taking over and you are making using a mobility device so much bigger then it really is ( like I said other here have been there done that) but please do not. do not let fear take over let your family enjoy disney with you like they want to enjoy it

I get that you are frustrated. And it's very disappointing that WDW gave you misleading information. That frustrates me to no end when I hear CMs shared bad information. But I think you are digging in your heels for a preferred accommodation that WDW isn't going to make available - there are simply too many guests with mobility/stamina needs to put them all through the FP+ queue without impacting operations, that is one of the reasons the old GAC program was changed. If an alternative accommodation makes the queue accessible, that is what they offer. Now, if you truly have other needs unrelated to pain/mobility/stamina, please do discuss those needs (not diagnosis, needs) with Guest Relations to see what can be provided for accommodation.

So basically, anyone with any kind of systemic RA issue needs to be ok with 1) exposing all medical details to someone at a desk after already paying and using admission 2) using a medical device they aren't prescribed or 3) they aren't welcome.
That isn't necessary. Nobody is asking for -- or wants to see/hear -- your medical details. No diagnosis info. No treatment info. No info about meds/therapies/etc. None of that is necessary.

WDW wants to know how/why avoiding the standby queue will help you. You haven't stated that. How will it help your pain levels? It isn't a "skip to the front of the line" pass, so what will you do while waiting for your return time? Most of the folks here who have experience will DAS will tell you that you end up walking more because you walk to the attraction, request DAS, then walk somewhere else to spend that time. There is no designated waiting area with benches to rest. If you need to sit or change positions, bringing a mobility device is the only way to guarantee you have a place to sit when needed. Nobody says you must sit all day. Swap off the ECV and let another adult drive for a bit, or park it and walk in an area. Push a wheelchair with your day bag in it, until you need to sit for a rest.

I also suggest you speak with your doctor about how he/she recommends handling a massive theme park vacation. Most folks walk 6-10 miles per day for multiple days in a row. That is so much different than regular everyday living situations.

these things have long lasting psycological impacts on people and their families, once my kids see me in one marking progression of disease that can't be undone.
You don't mention how old are your kids. However, regardless of age, I think they'd much prefer knowing mom was comfortable and able to keep up with a busy vacation day by using a mobility device, than skipping that vacation all together. Do you really think that's the psychological message you want to share with them? Seeing mom using a tool available to overcome challenges and be able to have fun with the family, that's the message my family would want.

I do hope you get to enjoy WDW again!

Last edited:

I'm sorry you feel disappointed. The policy is available to read online in regards to the DAS and states clearly that mobility issues do not qualify. It may not be your ideal choice, but something that is able to be resolved with a wheelchair or scooter is advised to use that option.

Even people that are totally fine on a daily basis without a mobility aid may require one at Disney - it's not comparable to normal, daily living. People here are only acting as a mobility aid is what it is, an aid. I don't think you'll find a single soul here that has said "I caved and got a wheelchair/EVC after fighting it, and I hated it. Will never do it again." I've only seen people wish they had gotten over the stigma in their head sooner.

Sometimes when we're upset we cloud logic with emotion. It's not possible for WDW to view doctors notes and make decisions ahead of time. First, because of ADA but also because that would be such an enormous task. It's not reasonable. If you feel that it's also unreasonable to have to pay money before finding out if you qualify for a DAS, I'd go with their own guidelines listed on the website - which means you likely will not. From there, you can decide what to do. WDW is still disability friendly and completely accessible for you, just in a different way than it was before.

The thing with sfamina issues related to chronic illness an ecv doesn't account for is how just being in the park can sap your energy. Some people can only handle 4 hours in the park at a time before they need to go put their feet up. If you're spending all that time in line for 2-3 rides on a busy day that makes for a very unsatisfying trip.

Why would you need to do that? You'd get 3 FP offering you a minimal wait in that time, and could jump into at least 1-2 lines in between at minimum. Lines at Disney are what they are - we all have to deal with them. Cramming more activities into a smaller time slot in the park isn't something anyone needs to accommodate. We all have our limitations. There's plenty of reasons people have shorter stays in the park. Is it worth it? That's up to you.

The thing with sfamina issues related to chronic illness an ecv doesn't account for is how just being in the park can sap your energy. Some people can only handle 4 hours in the park at a time before they need to go put their feet up. If you're spending all that time in line for 2-3 rides on a busy day that makes for a very unsatisfying trip.
This is exactly how it works for me even with a DAS. And, I don't use an EVC since that would make my individual issues worse. My issue has nothing to do with mobility.
I don’t understand the resistance to utilizing a tool that can help you. Rent an EVC if you need one - why would you choose not to do something that would make your day easier and more enjoyable?
We typically ride a maximum of 5 rides in a day and rarely the most popular ones. Even with a DAS you are going to have to wait the same length of time as the standby line except you can wait in a quieter, calmer place.
I find the crowds and movement at Disney can be exhausting and need lots of breaks for a little sitting still time. But I still enjoy going and I am very thankful that Disney offers a DAS.

So basically, anyone with any kind of systemic RA issue needs to be ok with 1) exposing all medical details to someone at a desk after already paying and using admission 2) using a medical device they aren't prescribed or 3) they aren't welcome. Not one of my Dr's ever said it can be handled with a wheelchair, who is the Dr saying this because it's dismissive, unfair and untrue.

I don't see that on any commercials but I think the policy needs to be publicized, the policy isn't ok

Seems I was again mislead
at the desk not medical details but why you need help with standing in line. I will use an example relating to rides. would you tell someone needing glasses to see that they have to take them off so they don't fall during ride. I use a cane to help with walking. my doctor told me to try one but didn't prescribe as such. have you asked your doctor what would help you on your trip. ps most large stores have wheelchairs/ECVs to use in store and they are not doctor prescribed. is there a difference?

You don't mention how old are your kids. However, regardless of age, I think they'd much prefer knowing mom was comfortable and able to keep up with a busy vacation day by using a mobility device, than skipping that vacation all together. Do you really think that's the psychological message you want to share with them? Seeing mom using a tool available to overcome challenges and be able to have fun with the family, that's the message my family would want.

I do hope you get to enjoy WDW again!

OP mentions they are young adults in first post.

Do you have systemic or just in, say your hands?
Diagnosed at age 5, every joint is affected. Hip replaced 3 years ago at 49. i double up on my pain meds, don’t even try to do everything, table service meals only, and use FP . No running hither and yon. I can’t use an ECV as my wrists are locked( which also limits my ability to use a WC actually). I get out of the chair when my butt falls asleep or I cramp up.

if Your pain is that severe, you need to DIscuss alternative or additional therapy with your rheumatologist.

If you can only handle four hours in the park, then you get to ride fours hours worth of rides, which might be only 2-3 rides. That's perfectly reasonable.

So basically, anyone with any kind of systemic RA issue needs to be ok with 1) exposing all medical details to someone at a desk after already paying and using admission 2) using a medical device they aren't prescribed or 3) they aren't welcome. Not one of my Dr's ever said it can be handled with a wheelchair, who is the Dr saying this because it's dismissive, unfair and untrue.

I don't see that on any commercials but I think the policy needs to be publicized, the policy isn't ok

Seems I was again mislead

of course not. One, you are not allowed to bare all the sordid details. It’s against ADA, and they don’t give a flying leap about any of That. And who cares if you aren’t prescribed a medical device? They are available to rent or purchase without RX. Hell I got mine at the thrift store since there was no need to involve my doctor or insurance. 85% of the people in the parks who are using an ECV or WC never use one at home. I have never not felt welcome. In fact the cast members go out f their way to make sure I get to enjoy the park as much as any able bodied person out there

Excruciating pain all the time, can't hold any position for any length of time or it goes from constant to unbearable. Not quite sure how this fits into what has been deemed accommodation worthy. I don't want to end up defending my disability because thats what sounds like what the policy is that is happening.

I think what you're missing here is that Disney did something much BIGGER for mobility related disabilities when it revamped most of the queues to be ADA compliant. The ADA doesn't require that folks with disabilites get SPECIAL access, it seeks to make sure that folks with disabilities have EQUAL access with abled people. By making the lines ADA compliant they ensured that folks with mobility issues had the same access as able bodied guests to ride the rides.

This isn't even addressed with the DAS pass. You DO NOT get immediate access to the rides with DAS. You go and get a return time, which is based on the current standby time minus 5 or 10 minutes. You wait the same amount of time as people in the standby line, you just don't wait within the queue. So even with a DAS pass, you're still only going to ride 2-3 rides in a 4 hour period on a busy Disney day.

Uggh I think I know my answer, I nearly made a mistake again. Time to put this in the past

When the policy is changes hopefully it will be publicized and I'll be back otherwise I'll wait for a cruise when my kids have kids and that's that - such a shame

• Disney's accommodation for mobility/fatigue issues is to make lines accessible (in most cases) to wheelchairs & ECVs, with a workaround in place for those with inaccessible lines
  • You want a different accommodation
  • Disney is under no obligation, legal or otherwise, to provide anyone with their preferred accommodation
  • If you can't have your preferred accommodation, then you aren't going back
If you don't go back because you can't have your preferred accommodation, that's fine, but own that decision - don't blame Disney because you refuse to use the provided accommodation.

You know, people keep throwing around using the scooter like its not big deal, well it is a big deal. I'm trying to live my life here and I don't need someone removing my choices for me. Nothing against chairs, I could end up in one and if it happens so be it, but these things have long lasting psycological impacts on people and their families, once my kids see me in one marking progression of disease that can't be undone. Don't you get that? Rheumatology and pharmas are making new medicines every day trying to give us all hope and keep us out of chairs with strong mobility and you are all like, nahhh - too much of a bother
Good gravy. It’s a friggin tool, no more stigmatized than using eyeglasses or leg braces. Quit hiding behind the disease and using it as an excuse to deny yourself things. The kids need to understand your limitations and they will all have a better time once they understand what you can and cannot do.

You know, people keep throwing around using the scooter like its not big deal, well it is a big deal. I'm trying to live my life here and I don't need someone removing my choices for me.
Nobody is removing your choices. People are actually providing options to you:
Rent an ECV for your trip.
Rent or borrow a wheelchair for your trip.
Rent or buy a rollator for your trip.
Utilize FastPass - the three you can book in advance, then Additional as you use each one.
Take a different vacation.
Rheumatology and pharmas are making new medicines every day trying to give us all hope and keep us out of chairs with strong mobility and you are all like, nahhh - too much of a bother
That's really great! If they can discover or release effective medication prior to your trip, it makes the DAS moot.

OP mentions they are young adults in first post.
Thank you, I missed that. Young adults are definitely old enough to grasp the concept of using a tool to help mom get more done with less pain, and that tool should not necessarily imply disease or worsening of condition. New tools and gadgets are designed every day to make life easier. I would never consider a carpenter to be "worse" because he uses the latest electric drill instead of an old fashioned screw driver.

In large part, our children learn to accept disabilities and -- more importantly -- people with disabilities -- based on our own reaction and acceptance of such. Today's children are SO MUCH more accepting of different abilities than when I was a kid.

In large part, our children learn to accept disabilities and -- more importantly -- people with disabilities -- based on our own reaction and acceptance of such. Today's children are SO MUCH more accepting of different abilities than when I was a kid.

it's so true - and I've seen kids so much less afraid to acknowledge their own disabilities than generations past. My son has a cognitive disability that he shares with his father. His father was afraid to mention his disability LONG into adulthood because he was made to feel ashamed of it. He resisted any kind of treatment for it because of the stigma attached. My son talks openly about his disability and treatment is just part of his daily routine the same way taking vitamins and brushing his teeth is. We've come a long way in many respects with regard to disability.

Thank you, I missed that. Young adults are definitely old enough to grasp the concept of using a tool to help mom get more done with less pain, and that tool should not necessarily imply disease or worsening of condition. New tools and gadgets are designed every day to make life easier. I would never consider a carpenter to be "worse" because he uses the latest electric drill instead of an old fashioned screw driver.

Not the same age group, but my grandkids have no issues seeing grandpa at disney in a wheel chair vs none at home. For one ride I wish I had a picture. Big people were going on big ride. 2 year old was sleeping in stroller. We went to take the 3 and 4 on a kid ride. I pushed DH in wheelchair and on each side 3 and 4 year old held onto grandpa's hand as we rolled along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter