DAS for RA

This isn't even addressed with the DAS pass. You DO NOT get immediate access to the rides with DAS. You go and get a return time, which is based on the current standby time minus 5 or 10 minutes. You wait the same amount of time as people in the standby line, you just don't wait within the queue. So even with a DAS pass, you're still only going to ride 2-3 rides in a 4 hour period on a busy Disney day.

If you want to go on a new headliner ride, 3 hours in a queue vs 3 hours doing other things in the park is no where near the same. Everyone knows that which is why every major theme park has had to become more stringent on their criteria for a disability pass.

I've already made a comment, but it sounds like you want to go back to not having to wait in a line, at all. You are free to ask for a DAS, we are saying it doesn't mean you qualify.

I've used an ecv since my travel companion was 6 years old. We traveled by ourselves, and honestly that was hard! I still remember going to the front desk in tears, saying you had no problem taking my money, but you never told me how hard this was going to b e! But Disney helped even at the hotel, there was a "runner housekeeper" named Linda. She showed the 6 year old how to properly use the phone to call for help, how to lock the door securely and for some reason, we would seem to "always" pass her in the resort (near our rooms).

It's your choice not to use a mobility device, but it sure makes travel at Disney easier. Does it handle all issues, absolutely not. I have RA in my wrists that I even have trouble holding utensils to eat with. My wrists have become totally useless making it nearly impossible to drive a scooter. My daughter has helped by walking on the side of the scooter and actually powering it. When getting on and off the bus, the drive r or her do all the work. (I purchased special silverware to accommodate my needs and bring to Disney). I can't sit too long, my knees lock. I know when I need to "stretch" and do so.

Since there aren't many benches to sit, a mobility device is recommended. Yes, it's an additional expense, but it's automatically get s added as "we need to budget for room, tickets, food, flight and one scoot er!

I thoroughly enjoy our trips to Disney. We don't talk about how hard it will be. We focus more on creating as many magical, life time memories that we can, while we can.

If you are still following along, I sincerely hope you consider continuing to make memories with your family!! It truly is ok.

If you want to go on a new headliner ride, 3 hours in a queue vs 3 hours doing other things in the park is no where near the same. Everyone knows that which is why every major theme park has had to become more stringent on their criteria for a disability pass.

Disney used to allow instant access to rides for guest Access pass holders. It changed to DAS for two major reasons: 1) lines were redone to be fully ADA compliant, eliminating the need to provide special access for ECV/wheelchair users since they could now fully access the rides like every other guest and 2) abuse of the system. If you have a fatigue issue, like your example (someone who tires after spending 4 hours in the park) then it doesn't matter WHERE you wait, you're still going to be spent after 4 hours in the park. And depending on the nature of your disability, you may find it's easier to wait in an ECV/Wheelchair because you can sit and rest rather than stand. There aren't many places to sit and rest in Disneyworld in general.

DAS only allows you to get a return time for one ride at a time, so it's pretty limited what "other things" you can do in the park aside from walking around, shopping, or getting something to eat. When it's busy it's hard to even get on a standby line at another ride while you're waiting out a return time on a headliner.

That's what FP+ - everyone gets stuck with those circumstances and has to decide how to spend their time.

So? Everyone is waiting the three hours for the headliner, so everyone who is there for only four hours will get that ride and probably nothing else. Why should a disabled person with only four hours in the park get to do more than a non-disabled person with only four hours in the park?

You're right, it's not. Sitting in a queue in an ECV is much less taxing than wondering around WDW and doing other things.

In four hours, if you schedule ahead, you can use three FPs and go on any ride with a short standby. If you have a DAS you can get a return time for the 3 hour standby queue, and still use your three FPs and go on rides with short standby lines while waiting for your return time. So in theory a DAS could add one more headliner. In reality I doubt many DAS holders have the ability to do that.

This is exactly how it works for me even with a DAS. And, I don't use an EVC since that would make my individual issues worse. My issue has nothing to do with mobility.
I don’t understand the resistance to utilizing a tool that can help you. Rent an EVC if you need one - why would you choose not to do something that would make your day easier and more enjoyable?
We typically ride a maximum of 5 rides in a day and rarely the most popular ones. Even with a DAS you are going to have to wait the same length of time as the standby line except you can wait in a quieter, calmer place.
I find the crowds and movement at Disney can be exhausting and need lots of breaks for a little sitting still time. But I still enjoy going and I am very thankful that Disney offers a DAS.

I was going to make this point too. We only do a few hours a day in the parks even with DAS for my son. That's all he can handle. DAS gives him the ability to do a few rides. I have fibro, sometimes I'm in a chair, sometimes I walk. When we go without kids, we also can only do a few hours in the parks. It is what it is. I still enjoy WDW. We make the most of it.

Uggh I think I know my answer, I nearly made a mistake again. Time to put this in the past

When the policy is changes hopefully it will be publicized and I'll be back otherwise I'll wait for a cruise when my kids have kids and that's that - such a shame

And that is your decision to make. And I do agree it is a shame, but I think it is a shame you won't give an ECV a try.

I think you should go to your local Walmart/Target whatever store near you that has ECVS for guests to use, and to give on a try. See how it goes. You may be surprised at what you can do using one.

Excruciating pain all the time, can't hold any position for any length of time or it goes from constant to unbearable. Not quite sure how this fits into what has been deemed accommodation worthy. I don't want to end up defending my disability because thats what sounds like what the policy is that is happening.

The accommodation you are "worthy of" is the one we have all been mentioning - get an ECV or wheelchair to assist in your stamina/mobility issue. You don't have to sit in a wheelchair the entire time - you can get up and push it if you need to walk. It would guarantee that you would have a seat when you need one. It would help with the 4-10 miles of walking each day. Did you know it was a quarter of a mile from one bus stop to the gates at MK?

The DAS accommodation (which only gives you a return time, doesn't get on you the ride any faster) is not for mobility/stamina issues.

It's not only mobility and stamina, it's so much more but is the inside of the park after purchase and absorbing the huge expense really the best place to ask a guest to make a case for themselves? That's not an informed choice at all, like right now I shouldn't be guessing if this would be fun or a catastrophe. From what I'm hearing the last few conversations I've had encouraging me to give it a chance are misleading and I've been right all this time staying away.

I think if WDW has any disability services at all they really need to set up a system where people can submit in advance with Dr notes and get a response so they can make an informed decision and not end up humiliating themselves by uppacking medical info right before trying to have fun. This is still so weird & very unfair

(Not really directed at you, I'm upset with feeling disappointed not with any person on here)

ADA does not allow people to have to provide a doctor's note. Some doctors also have that god complex where they will volunteer to write a letter stating so and so needs front of the line access for a stubbed toe, IYKWIM? Disney does not want your medical info. They just want to know why you can't wait in a standby queue.

The thing with sfamina issues related to chronic illness an ecv doesn't account for is how just being in the park can sap your energy. Some people can only handle 4 hours in the park at a time before they need to go put their feet up. If you're spending all that time in line for 2-3 rides on a busy day that makes for a very unsatisfying trip.

And that is a choice the OP gets to make. Disney does not owe a guest any sort of special pass or anything because the guest is limited in the number of hours he or she can spend in the park. I can't go during certain times - should I expect the parks to be open when I can go? My daughter can go from opening to closing at the parks, but I can manage about 6-8 hours, with a long break in the middle. Life goes on.

So basically, anyone with any kind of systemic RA issue needs to be ok with 1) exposing all medical details to someone at a desk after already paying and using admission 2) using a medical device they aren't prescribed or 3) they aren't welcome. Not one of my Dr's ever said it can be handled with a wheelchair, who is the Dr saying this because it's dismissive, unfair and untrue.

I don't see that on any commercials but I think the policy needs to be publicized, the policy isn't ok

Seems I was again mislead

You do not need to expose anything but the reason why you cannot access an attraction through the standby queue. Everyone has to pay and use admission to get into the parks (???), wheelchairs. ECVs, crutches, rollators, walkers, reading glasses, etc, are all tools that do not require a prescription - not sure what that is about? And what exactly do you think needs to be handled with a wheelchair? Because that is exactly what you need to tell the CM. What is it about your RA that keeps you from using the queue?

You know, people keep throwing around using the scooter like its not big deal, well it is a big deal. I'm trying to live my life here and I don't need someone removing my choices for me. Nothing against chairs, I could end up in one and if it happens so be it, but these things have long lasting psycological impacts on people and their families, once my kids see me in one marking progression of disease that can't be undone. Don't you get that? Rheumatology and pharmas are making new medicines every day trying to give us all hope and keep us out of chairs with strong mobility and you are all like, nahhh - too much of a bother

So, you can walk 6-10 miles now? Because that's how far you can go in a day at WDW. I think we've got the sticking point now - you don't want to use a wheelchair in front of your adult children. But my guess is they know you'll need help at the parks, and you'll see tons of people in ECVs and wheelchairs that don't use them in everyday life.

Uggh I think I know my answer, I nearly made a mistake again. Time to put this in the past

When the policy is changes hopefully it will be publicized and I'll be back otherwise I'll wait for a cruise when my kids have kids and that's that - such a shame

The policy is not going to change. It was abused before, so it can't go back to that 'let everyone in immediately through the FP queue' mentality. Not everyone with a disability needs a DAS. I have multiple issues and a DAS would not solve one of them for me.

Last edited:
Some doctors also have that god complex where they will volunteer to write a letter stating
::yes:: Back about 25 years ago, when I mentioned to my neurologist that I was going to Disney World (again!), he volunteered to write me a "front of the line" letter. I declined :).

I get the DAS pass for my son and even that is not a perfect solution. One time we spent 45 minutes in the fast pass return line at Peter Pan which led to a complete and utter meltdown and an end to that park day. It's a tool as well, not a solution, and I learned if the FP line is backed up on a very crowded park day we should make an alternate choice.... To be clear I am not complaining... Just pointing out that even the DAS requires some compromise even if you qualify what it is intended for.

If you don't address your mobility needs even if you had a DAS you could still end up needing to stand for longer than you are able.

I resisted getting the DAS for my son for a few trips. I wanted him to be normal, even though we had multiple diagnoses. I didn't want to have the conversation with him and put a name on why certain things were so hard so he could advocate for himself for the pass.

When we finally got it, it was game changing - but only because of the nature of his disabilities. It was also a huge relief to talk openly about things with him and I realized that I was doing him no favors pretending the reality wasn't what it was. Your kids may be relieved to talk about it and have concrete ways to help as I'm sure they love you very much and want you to live life to the fullest.

I think you might find if you take advantage of the help available to you, you may find it game changing too and wonder why you waited so long.

I am having a hard time with the OP having adult children who don't/won't understand the current medical condition. If they're caring, loving kids I'm sure they'd want the best for their parent. And if they have prejudice in the family regarding "handicapped" people, that is indeed a shame. I hope the OP gets the courage to get a mobility device, stand up to the family and tell them that it's the best situation.

One thing great about WDW is the ability for those with disabilities to visit. I did get a DAS for myself, but I have to say that it’s still not enabled me to do everything I would like. The FP lines get long and NOISY in some rides, and sometimes there is a lot of walking/standing which is not really a huge issue for me at at times.

The noise, and the crowds at times, still make me leave, even after entering with the DAS and waiting for the full 60 minute wait time before entering the FP line. It’s definitely able to help sometimes, but I left several lines last week, even through I wanted to ride so bag. My neuro issues will only continue to get worse, but I”m doing what I can with those as well as dealing with some issues that limit me very much at WDW due to my neuro/ sensory issues.

What I’m saying is that WDW is full of people with disabilities, because it is so friendly with wider queues, helpful CMs, easy loads for scooters/wheelchairs, ride vehicles that are w/c friendly, etc. If every one of us had the ability to “skip the line”, the lines would be endless.

I know the OP has pain and other issues (as do I) that are invisible to others. It’s not easy hearing “no” when you are hopeful that your disability can be accommodated. Most are accommodated as well as can be expected, but there are still some things that come with a busy park that are still limiting for many of us.

Even the DAS does not provide the sort of accommodation that would be most helpful to me. It simply just cannot.

@LuvOrlando, I cannot imagine being in constant pain and discomfort from RA. I am experiencing a temporary disability that affects mobility and am heading to WDW very soon, followed by a DCL cruise. For a little background on my regular abilities, I am very active (bootcamp, resistance training, running...you get the idea). Therefore, this setback is frustrating me because I cannot even walk down the stairs in a normal fashion.

In my case, I purchased an inexpensive Rollator with a seat. I will also most likely be renting a 3 wheel ECV because I am concerned about the wear and tear on my already sore knees making it through Epcot with just my Rollator. I haven't even taken the Rollator outside yet. I can walk unassisted, slowly but unassisted.

As you can see, I do not use a mobility device at home. I don't give a hoot what others think of me rolling around in the park; it's my vacation, and I want to enjoy it comfortably. Put your pain before your pride.

I think the OP is so emotional over this she isn’t hearing anything other than she can’t do the trip the way she wants to. I get it, I’ve been there with other things.

Disney World is not the same destination it was 20 years ago. It is constantly crowded and there are few places to sit. There are so many people visiting with such a variety of disabilities that they have had to come up with policies that follow accessibility laws without impacting operations.

My Mom has terrible knees (has for many years and had the left one replaced about 2 years ago). About 8-10 years ago, I suggested it was time to get an ECV in the parks. She was very resistant to the idea, but agreed eventually. The first year we got one only at AK and Epcot due to size and potential for uneven paths (AK). It made our days better and then next year she agreed with no concerns. And even was really tired one day to get it at MGM (was still MGM then, Hollywood Studios now). We did try to do our parks so it worked out to be every other day that she would walk versus ride. The next year I told her we were renting off site. Back to resistance due to not wanting them on the buses, but again, I prevailed and told her it would be her choice each day and we could leave it in the room on a day if she wanted. Guess what, it was no big deal, she liked it far better than the park ones, and it went out with us every day. The scooter is now part of her annual Disney budget.

Flash forward a few years to summer 2017... We live local to Disneyland and she has continued to walk here since it is much smaller and we typically do not go multiple days in a row and usually only go 5-6 hours tops. We were there on a nice Saturday and not even 2 hours into our day we have stopped at 5 benches to sit and rest. We were heading over to the DL side from DCA and I suggested we stop to pick up a wheelchair as it was clear she was in a lot of pain and struggling. She resisted, but we did get one. I told her she could push it when she wanted to walk and sit to rest as needed. The rest of our day was amazing. We stayed later than we had in a long time and got a ton done without stopping to rest so often. To this day, we pretty much always get the wheelchair now. It just makes our days better.

And no, she does not need one day to day. She has a cane that she uses as needed if she knows we will be walking a lot like at the mall, but does not use all the time.

I think the OP is so emotional over this she isn’t hearing anything other than she can’t do the trip the way she wants to. I get it, I’ve been there with other things.

Disney World is not the same destination it was 20 years ago. It is constantly crowded and there are few places to sit. There are so many people visiting with such a variety of disabilities that they have had to come up with policies that follow accessibility laws without impacting operations.

This.

This is the hardest thing for folks to accept, believe it or not - how much different Disney World is now. And the people who have never visited are *always* shocked at how busy/crowded it was... because in the COMMERCIALS ON TV there's no crowds! Your children can dance in front of the Castle all by themselves, and run right up to Cinderella for a hug! Mickey is everywhere, and the sun is always shining!

So, we have this unrealistic set of expectations - whether it's someone who hasn't been for 20 years, or someone who has never been. It's *not* going to be like the commercials. It *is* going to be crowded, and hot, and humid and there will never be a place to sit when you need one. You will stand in line for EVERYTHING, and no matter how perfectly you plan your vacation, *something* will happen that will be outside your control and things won't go the way you want them to. (The remedy for that is to grab a Mickey Bar and a spot in the shade, and chill out - literally & figuratively)

Welcome to Disney World today. You can still have fun - you can still find the Magic. I know - because I was just there, with my personal mobility device, and my family, and (what seems like) about a million other people! Just go with a realistic set of expectations, and the mindset that you are at *Disney World* - the place where thousands and thousands of people want to be, every day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter