DAS Pass Question: post-surgery visit

JUmph

Earning My Ears
Hi all-

First time poster, long time Disney nerd. :)

My husband and I have been to Disney many times but this time we are going 2 weeks after I'm having surgery to take my Thyroid out.

We've never needed a DAS pass before but I'm wondering if this might help us enjoy our trip a bit more?

The biggest issue will be the scar on my throat not being exposed to much sunlight but I also expect to be fatigued on the trip and needing to spend shorter times in the parks each day.

From what I've researched it looks like its up to the CM you encounter at guest relations but I haven't been able to find much else about my specific scenario.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. :)

So... a couple of things that I know, just from hanging around on this board a lot. If fatigue is the main issue, they may very well (and technically should) deny the DAS and recommend a wheelchair or scooter. That's the general accommodation for fatigue issues. And the DAS really doesn't keep you out of the sun too much, from what I understand, because it only allows you to wait outside of the usual line, and many of the lines are indoors anyway. Many have said it actually increases walking (and therefore time outside) because you have to wlak to the line to get the return time, walk back to wherever you plan on waiting, then walk to the line again. can MAYBE see it helping for the few rides where most of the line is outside. You could ask, because, like I said, I could see it helping in a few lines, but I also would have a plan B, and would plan on Disney suggesting an alternative accommodation and not the DAS.

Moving this to the main disABILITIES forum for trip planning questions where it should get more views and responses.

Will the incision still be open, or could you cover it with some kind of cool wrap? Obviously you wouldn't want to get sunscreen into a healing incision (ouch!) but any kind of cover would block the sun. Also, you could do what I do (I have to avoid direct sunlight as much as possible due to recurring skin cancer concerns) We go in August because the park hours are great! We start off early, take a break in the room during peak sun, and go back at dusk to enjoy the cooler air and late nights in the park. There are some great sunshirts out there that could block the incision area quite nicely too :)

Last edited:

If you're expecting to be more fatigued on this trip from the surgery then renting an ECV may be a good plan. You can always use it to go longer distances and park it when you want to go in a shop or just walk around a land (like in Epcot). Many lines allow you to take the ECV in with you (check the FAQ here for more on that). Fast passes are also helpful. As for the DAS it's hard to say if they'd give one for this issue but you just have to explain your needs and see what they say.

Keep in mind that your thyroid levels will probably not be evened out and you will probably be HYPOthyroid at that point (low on thyroid levels). You will tire easily because of that and because of the recent surgery (provided all goes well; I had complications and could not have done Disney at two weeks, but that was me). Keeping the incision covered is a MUST as it will still be in the healing process. A neck wrap, light scarf, cooling wrap, etc., would be a good idea.

May want to consider an ECV to help with the fatigue issues. You can park it appropriately and walk in various areas - don't need to use ECV for everything. I usually park in the Tomorrowland area and we do Buzz Lightyear, Space Mountain, etc. and I don't pick up ECV until we head out to Fantasyland as an example.

As other have said plan on useing something To cover your scar Columbia has great wraps that really keep you cool ( sunscreen burns my skin so I have have long pants long sleeve on )

Also look at getting an ECV to help with being tired you do not have to use it all the time and this way you know you have a place to sit when needed. The DAS will not help as much with keeping the sun off your scare as some type of cover will. And a DAS will not give you a place to sit while waiting for a ride an ECV will a DAS will not help you not be so tired from walking an ECV would give. Also each park has a first aid where you can rest if need be.

I react to sunscreens so wear as much sun protective UPF 50+ clothing as I can to minimize the amount of sunscreen I have to wear when at WDW.

gas2368 mentionned the Columbia brand, which has a range of sun protective options. Coolibar brand (https://www.coolibar.com/) has an extensive range of sun protective clothing - that is all they do - including numerous options to provide neck coverage. Coolibar is my family's goto brand for UPF clothing and I have been very happy with the quality and effectiveness of their products.

SW

Just wanted to say thanks for all of this! Looking forward to our trip next week!

This thread has pretty complete info about DAS:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/
only the first post is kept up to date. The rest was from right before and right after DAS was put into use.

I agree with the other posters that DAS is not likely to be very helpful.

When requesting DAS, the important thing to discuss is how a disability prevents waiting in the regular line.
All lines/attractions are wheelchair accessible (except the 3 that say ‘must be ambulatory’ - Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Tom Sawyer Island, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse). DAS is not needed to use a mobility device in line. The attractions that are not ECV accessible fo have wheelchairs to lend to use in line.
And, covering your incision will protect it from sun better than using DAS would.

If keeping your neck covered makes you hotter than normal, all QS restaurants and snack stands that serve fountain drinks (not just bottles) offer free cups of ice water than you can use to fill up an insulated water bottle that you can sip throughout the day. Remember to drink before you become thirsty and to check your hydration levels when you use the bathroom!

In August we went to Disney the day after my daughter had surgery on her hand. We tried to get her a DAS and was told rides would have a complimentary wheelchair to use if the line was too much for her. They did give it to her for that day as a favor. We wound up not using it, and just took it very easy. The next day we did the Galaxy's Edge preview, and pretty much left after we finished.

We went to Disneyland 4 weeks after my husband had back surgery (doctor approved). He used the first aid centers quite a bit to take the strain off his back and to rest, otherwise we toured a little more slowly and avoided some rides. We definitely spent fewer overall hours in the parks, but we were able to spend a lot longer than we would have if he had not rested at first aid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter