DAS With Fibromyalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say that 95% of the people who rent a wheelchair or ECV never use one at home. People who use one at home just bring their own - except for a few that do not want to fly with a very expensive power chair. When you observe the number of rented ECVs and WCs you realize that it's no big deal to use a WC or ECV at Disney even when you would never use one at home.

I guess this is where I struggle to explain it, it's not that I'd be exhausted from being at the park like that from opening to close, it's the standing in lines for long periods of time that is my concern. That's when things like my feet or back would start to get sore.

This is true for many people, not just those with fibromyalgia. I have never had a desk job and have worked on my feet for 30 years. It gets harder and harder every year to stand in line. Walking is easier, but standing in one place is really painful for me. Same issues that you have, back, legs, and feet all kill. The key is to know your body and give it a rest when it needs it. This is true for everyone. Plus it gets much much harder as you get older. We just have to be aware that we can not do things that others can and do what we are physically capable of. I don't go on nearly as many rides as I used to during my trips now. I plan more "down" days. I also do a lot of just 1/2 days at the parks because that is what I can physically do. Unfortunately that is life. :(

I'm a little embarrassed by the idea of using a wheelchair to be honest. I won't ever use one at a mall and I go there fairly often, so I'm not totally sure what I'm going to about that.

I would get some type of mobility device ( a wheelchair a scooter/ECV a roller) Disney has bee taking a way benches and plaes to site left and right.

a few thing to think about when decieded if a mobility aid is good for you.

can you stand for an hour + without needing to sit?

DO you get pain when standing walking for 10-15 miles a day?

Ok about the emberressed part

Do the people you are going with know you have a Disability?

Do they know it can effect that fact that you may not beale to stand for an hour+?

Do they know you might not beable to walk 10+ miles a day?

and about the other people.

well sorry to say they will be way into there own vacation to even care that you have a wheelchair ( weather pushing of sitting in it) and the chese that you see someone you know is slim to none ( I live a few hour from DIsney half my friend have AP) I spent 30 minutes trying to find someone I know and could not. when I way the chance of you seeing someone you know is like winning the lotto and getting hit by lighting in the same day, ( it really is not going to happen) so go use what tool works best for you and just do not care about the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say that 95% of the people who rent a wheelchair or ECV never use one at home. People who use one at home just bring their own - except for a few that do not want to fly with a very expensive power chair. When you observe the number of rented ECVs and WCs you realize that it's no big deal to use a WC or ECV at Disney even when you would never use one at home.
I'm not saying it's not an option, just not something I totally see myself using as it's not just a tire out issue but also a pain tolerance.

I'm still adjusting to things, but going on vacation using a wheelchair, just kinda seems like something I wouldn't really do,

This is true for many people, not just those with fibromyalgia. I have never had a desk job and have worked on my feet for 30 years. It gets harder and harder every year to stand in line. Walking is easier, but standing in one place is really painful for me. Same issues that you have, back, legs, and feet all kill. The key is to know your body and give it a rest when it needs it. This is true for everyone. Plus it gets much much harder as you get older. We just have to be aware that we can not do things that others can and do what we are physically capable of. I don't go on nearly as many rides as I used to during my trips now. I plan more "down" days. I also do a lot of just 1/2 days at the parks because that is what I can physically do. Unfortunately that is life. :(

This is why my mom wonders if I had Fibro when I was younger (we know a few people -my friend who I mentioned- who were diagnosed at a much younger age than 18) due to the things we went through when I was growing up, but it was just the stress of college and major family issues that really triggered it and made it more noticeable.

It's only been a little over a year since I was officially diagnosed, but some days (especially here in Canada with the weather being crazy) are hard, -it's made it difficult to find a job that works with what I can do. :/

[QUOTE=" gap2368, post: 59096391, member: 621981"

I'm a little embarrassed by the idea of using a wheelchair to be honest. I won't ever use one at a mall and I go there fairly often, so I'm not totally sure what I'm going to about that.

I would get some type of mobility device ( a wheelchair a scooter/ECV a roller) Disney has bee taking a way benches and plaes to site left and right.

a few thing to think about when decieded if a mobility aid is good for you.

can you stand for an hour + without needing to sit?

DO you get pain when standing walking for 10-15 miles a day?

Ok about the emberressed part

Do the people you are going with know you have a Disability?

Do they know it can effect that fact that you may not be ale to stand for an hour+?

Do they know you might not be able to walk 10+ miles a day?

and about the other people.

well sorry to say they will be way into there own vacation to even care that you have a wheelchair ( weather pushing of sitting in it) and the chese that you see someone you know is slim to none ( I live a few hour from DIsney half my friend have AP) I spent 30 minutes trying to find someone I know and could not. when I way the chance of you seeing someone you know is like winning the lotto and getting hit by lighting in the same day, ( it really is not going to happen) so go use what tool works best for you and just do not care about the rest.[/QUOTE]

I feel like I'd sit on the floor if I had to lol (I've done it -only at Disney lol)

As for the answers to those questions,
1. Depends I do a lot better in summer than winter -especially with how harsh Canadian winters are (I need to move to Florida lol)
2. Again it depends, I was training for the 10K wine and dine last year but I sprained my ankle so that never happened and when my mom and I had a good system going I was okay doing the full 10K at a walk speed. Usually.
3. Absolutely, they're my two best friends so they've seen the changes in me in just the past 5 years even
4. One yes, the other tends to get excited and I'm catching up (but it's disney and I know it well so I'm not too worried)
5. Probably, again it just depends.

I've heard remarks about people complaining that someone who doesn't look sick was using a wheelchair/scooter, however I would think people would look down on me for pushing it because we're too 'lazy' to carry our own bags (when I'm not sitting in it I figure we'd do that instead of renting both chair and stroller for bags.) And yeah, the only ones we'd see who we know would be my "aunt" (mom's best friend) who would be planned to meet up with and maybe some other friends who live in FL if I can manage to get in touch with them. I tend to be a little self conscious at times so I guess I worry people would look down on us for using a wheelchair, even if I was sitting in it. -

I guess it's things like that that are hard to adjust to. I mean, I feel bad when one of those two friends offers to carry my camera bag because they can see it's bothering my shoulder (the one practically took it off my shoulder to carry for me when we went to a fair once -I have a shoulder injury that flares up more often than anything else so a bag for too long will hurt it hence why we got a stroller back in 2015) :)

I'm not saying it's not an option, just not something I totally see myself using as it's not just a tire out issue but also a pain tolerance.

I'm still adjusting to things, but going on vacation using a wheelchair, just kinda seems like something I wouldn't really do,
I would start to think of using a wheelchair you have said that you need is that you are scared you will get tired and your feet ankles and back will hurt ( or something close to this) you have pretty much said you like the idea of going to find a place to sit and then come back to the ride ( again your needs are a place to sit) No one likes to sue a mobility device but like other have said you do not need to sit in it all the time put your bags in it and push it and sit when you need to sit.

I think it was @mamabunny that said the first time she used an ECV she cried because she was embarrassed, but by the end of the day she was not in pain and she enjoyed the day.

If you needed glasses to see would you say no and go on with your life struggling to see ( and headaches )? I think no.

if you needed a calculator to do math would you say no?

If you needed to write a resume and was a bad speller would you not use a spell checker?

You see those like a wheelchair are tools, You may not need each of these tools every day but chances are you use some type of tool sometimes. So think of a mobility device ( a wheelchair) as a tool to help you have a great time to not be in pain at the end of the day and to be able to enjoy the park a wheelchair is nothing more and nothing less than this.

I would start to think of using a wheelchair you have said that you need is that you are scared you will get tired and your feet ankles and back will hurt ( or something close to this) you have pretty much said you like the idea of going to find a place to sit and then come back to the ride ( again your needs are a place to sit) No one likes to sue a mobility device but like other have said you do not need to sit in it all the time put your bags in it and push it and sit when you need to sit.

I think it was @mamabunny that said the first time she used an ECV she cried because she was embarrassed, but by the end of the day she was not in pain and she enjoyed the day.

If you needed glasses to see would you say no and go on with your life struggling to see ( and headaches )? I think no.

if you needed a calculator to do math would you say no?

If you needed to write a resume and was a bad speller would you not use a spell checker?

You see those like a wheelchair are tools, You may not need each of these tools every day but chances are you use some type of tool sometimes. So think of a mobility device ( a wheelchair) as a tool to help you have a great time to not be in pain at the end of the day and to be able to enjoy the park a wheelchair is nothing more and nothing less than this.

Okay so this really hits home because I actually Need all of those things you mentioned :) -in fact I need new glasses before the trip lol.

I was that kid that used a calculator to do math and spell checker (when good speller mom wasn't available lol) for my school work, (learning disability there)

I guess it's an option, I mean if we could use it for our bags and to sit if needed (unlike a stroller just for our bags) It's not a bad idea, at least for our long park days.

Are they hard to get at Disney though? I think I'd only use it for Disney and we're staying off property if that matters?

I've heard remarks about people complaining that someone who doesn't look sick was using a wheelchair/scooter, however I would think people would look down on me for pushing it because we're too 'lazy' to carry our own bags (when I'm not sitting in it I figure we'd do that instead of renting both chair and stroller for bags.) And yeah, the only ones we'd see who we know would be my "aunt" (mom's best friend) who would be planned to meet up with and maybe some other friends who live in FL if I can manage to get in touch with them. I tend to be a little self conscious at times so I guess I worry people would look down on us for using a wheelchair, even if I was sitting in it. -

I guess it's things like that that are hard to adjust to. I mean, I feel bad when one of those two friends offers to carry my camera bag because they can see it's bothering my shoulder (the one practically took it off my shoulder to carry for me when we went to a fair once -I have a shoulder injury that flares up more often than anything else so a bag for too long will hurt it hence why we got a stroller back in 2015) :)

as far as people looking down on you, not thinking you need a wheelchair this was mostly happing with the old GAC where people in wheelchair sometimes got to go in the exits and get on rides faster, but guess what not any more people in wheelchair ( but for a few rides wait in the line just like every one else) and so there is much less than they get to bypass the line problems. You might get one but when I say most people will not care I do man most people will not care that you have a wheelchair and that you are not sitting in it ( you will see other doing the something) and it sounds like you needed it just for you bags and they can be too heavy for you.

Okay so this really hits home because I actually Need all of those things you mentioned :) -in fact I need new glasses before the trip lol.

1 I was that kid that used a calculator to do math and spell checker (when good speller mom wasn't available lol) for my school work, (learning disability there)

2 I guess it's an option, I mean if we could use it for our bags and to sit if needed (unlike a stroller just for our bags) It's not a bad idea, at least for our long park days.

3 Are they hard to get at Disney though? I think I'd only use it for Disney and we're staying off property if that matters?

1. I am raising my hand her on all of them too ( I will not admit I one time forgot how to spell my own name ) and I have been in and out of glasses since I was a few months old, and I use my calculator every day.

2. I think it would make your vacation so much better even if it was for your bags and you can put your bags on the back of the wheelchair when you need to sit ( and yes they are taking away benches) my last trip another guest came up to me telling me she needed to sit that her back was hurting I looked at her and said no I am sitting here ( I was hypoglycemic at the time with a glucose of like 35 so no way I was getting up.

3 no unless you go new years, Christmas ( really busy times) but they are not in the best shape You would not be able to push your self but pushing it with just you bags should be fine ( and it sounds like you will only need to sit every now and then, and having something to hold your bags and for you to lean on would help a lot.

Also, think of how much money this trip is coasting would you like to have a half day and be in pain or would you like a much longer day and have a wheelchair as a tool. I am guessing a fuller day.

But even then, by the end of the day I was tired
But that's stamina, alleviated by a mobility device.
I do like knowing that you can write things down, my one friend understands more than the other, (the one has known me longer and seen the changes since we were kids to adults) so if needed I can probably get her to help me out a bit for explaining.
ALL three of you have to go to Guest Services to request the one DAS. The friend who understands and can articulate your request can speak on your behalf.
Pain tolerance is still stamina.

as far as people looking down on you, not thinking you need a wheelchair this was mostly happing with the old GAC where people in wheelchair sometimes got to go in the exits and get on rides faster, but guess what not any more people in wheelchair ( but for a few rides wait in the line just like every one else) and so there is much less than they get to bypass the line problems. You might get one but when I say most people will not care I do man most people will not care that you have a wheelchair and that you are not sitting in it ( you will see other doing the something) and it sounds like you needed it just for you bags and they can be too heavy for you.
I guess I was so used to my friend who has the health issues that seeing people with a non visible disability was so much more common to me, when she was going through a rough patch, we parked in the handicapped spots at malls/movies and when I saw others who didn't have a visible disability do the same I just wouldn't question it. So maybe it's just the anxiety making me worry others will look down on it.

1. I am raising my hand her on all of them too ( I will not admit I one time forgot how to spell my own name ) and I have been in and out of glasses since I was a few months old, and I use my calculator every day.

2. I think it would make your vacation so much better even if it was for your bags and you can put your bags on the back of the wheelchair when you need to sit ( and yes they are taking away benches) my last trip another guest came up to me telling me she needed to sit that her back was hurting I looked at her and said no I am sitting here ( I was hypoglycemic at the time with a glucose of like 35 so no way I was getting up.

3 no unless you go new years, Christmas ( really busy times) but they are not in the best shape You would not be able to push your self but pushing it with just you bags should be fine ( and it sounds like you will only need to sit every now and then, and having something to hold your bags and for you to lean on would help a lot.

Also, think of how much money this trip is coasting would you like to have a half day and be in pain or would you like a much longer day and have a wheelchair as a tool. I am guessing a fuller day.
According to my mom I could write backwards before I had my glasses (still can)

So you don't think it'd be an issue to use that for our bags instead of the single stroller (even if I didn't need to sit?) I totally understand they Hypoglycemia -it runs on my dad's side of the family and I'm borderline -I need to keep a snack sized chocolate bar or crackers in my bag at all times so that I can eat when needed.

When we went to Canada's Wonderland this past summer my one friend's mother got a little annoyed at someone who made a remark because I went to get us a table for lunch instead of waiting in line. She kept her mouth shut but the look on her face said that she 1. felt bad for me, and 2. was annoyed at the person for making the 'young people' remark without knowing what the situation was.

We're going at a non busy time -September so I guess that would help too. Less people and crowds?

Definitely a full day. Epcot is going to be our really big day since it's the food and wine fest and it's my first time being over 21 at Disney (Not that I drink a lot, I just love the idea of getting a specialty milkshake at Disney lol)

But that's stamina, alleviated by a mobility device.

ALL three of you have to go to Guest Services to request the one DAS. The friend who understands and can articulate your request can speak on your behalf.

Pain tolerance is still stamina.
Do all three of us have to go to Guest Services to request a wheelchair too? Will my friend be able to help answer questions about that too (I'm planning on writing things down too)

I guess I was so used to my friend who has the health issues that seeing people with a non visible disability was so much more common to me, when she was going through a rough patch, we parked in the handicapped spots at malls/movies and when I saw others who didn't have a visible disability do the same I just wouldn't question it. So maybe it's just the anxiety making me worry others will look down on it.

According to my mom I could write backwards before I had my glasses (still can)

1 So you don't think it'd be an issue to use that for our bags instead of the single stroller (even if I didn't need to sit?) I totally understand they Hypoglycemia -it runs on my dad's side of the family and I'm borderline -I need to keep a snack sized chocolate bar or crackers in my bag at all times so that I can eat when needed.

2 When we went to Canada's Wonderland this past summer my one friend's mother got a little annoyed at someone who made a remark because I went to get us a table for lunch instead of waiting in line. She kept her mouth shut but the look on her face said that she 1. felt bad for me, and 2. was annoyed at the person for making the 'young people' remark without knowing what the situation was.

3 We're going at a non busy time -September so I guess that would help too. Less people and crowds?

4 Definitely a full day. Epcot is going to be our really big day since it's the food and wine fest and it's my first time being over 21 at Disney (Not that I drink a lot, I just love the idea of getting a specialty milkshake at Disney lol)

5 Do all three of us have to go to Guest Services to request a wheelchair too? Will my friend be able to help answer questions about that too (I'm planning on writing things down too)

1 No, it will not be a problem for you to put your bags in the wheelchair and push it ( if you did this with a stroller then you can not bring it in lines with you) and a wheelchair will give you a place to sit when need be I am guessing a stroller will not do that. I would not have chocolate as it would melt in the FL heat. You will be fine bring food with you I bring food for the whole day ( Disney security was a little worried about my apple I had but I told him I would not try to give it to snow white ) but seriously I will be going down for a week in a week and more then likely will not pay for any ( ok maybe one meal) the whole week so food is fine to being in.

2. during busy times ( like lunchtimes and dinner time) they like you to order your food before you sit down just because they tend to fill up quickly and this way people that have food have a place to sit, when I go I with other I will normal order my food then find a place to sit ( and the other person is there within a few minutes with our food, no one really says anything The will say something if you go and sit and eat your own food durung buse times but off times ( if you can count like a few emty tables) then you can eat your own food)

3 I more than likely will be going in September too ( going in one week and then I will know when I will be going back. Disney has not really slow times it is just Busy, Buser and why the ( fill in your chose of four letter word here) did I came to Disney but September tens to be less crowded than others time

4 oh you will want a wheelchair for EPCOT as any set will be hard to find a set

5 well they do not sell wheelchair at GR so you will need to go to stroller wheelchair rental ( there is one at every park) and only you need to be there they do not care how many people are with you. If you rent for more then a day then you get ( I think) $2 off each day but you have to tell them I think it is $12 a day and $10 if more then one day. but you can not take the wheelchair with you. and after a long day at the park, the walk back to the car can be quite long

I have a lot more needs than just tire easily, I get sore easily, have the anxiety issues, and more. Honestly the tiniest thing can set me off -like getting stuck on a dark ride.

I do like knowing that you can write things down, my one friend understands more than the other, (the one has known me longer and seen the changes since we were kids to adults) so if needed I can probably get her to help me out a bit for explaining.

Personally I've never liked the idea of going back to the hotel for a break. We didn't even do it when I was 5/6 and I didn't use a stroller then either. I never used a stroller at Disney or any amusement park. Our idea of resting was sitting for lunch at the parks, or again sitting while friends are on a ride I don't care for (like every roller coaster besides Splash Mountain lol).

Park Closing/Opening is already a must do for me if we can get there on time. I've never done it before and honestly don't want to miss the fireworks and shows that I haven't seen. Same with opening. I guess maybe what I said wasn't as clear as in my mind (typical for me lol) Because I've been up from like 6 am -2am the next day and while I'm tired I'm not at the point where I couldn't walk inside my house or back to my bed. -When we travel we usually drive, so we're up early and up late.

I guess this is where I struggle to explain it, it's not that I'd be exhausted from being at the park like that from opening to close, it's the standing in lines for long periods of time that is my concern. That's when things like my feet or back would start to get sore.

Also we're not doing all 4 parks 4 days in a row. We're still planning things out, but we've got enough time to do things in between days like Disney, Beach, Waterpark, non Disney things, Disney, Pool, for example.
___

So you want to commando tour the parks, but are worried about the optics of using a wheelchair? But, you are fine and dandy with using a disability pass to make your time standing in line shorter? It may surprise you to know that most people are sore after trying to commando tour parks. Adjust your expectation of what you can do in a day. The little kid who went from open to close isn't going to the parks this time.

1 No, it will not be a problem for you to put your bags in the wheelchair and push it ( if you did this with a stroller then you can not bring it in lines with you) and a wheelchair will give you a place to sit when need be I am guessing a stroller will not do that. I would not have chocolate as it would melt in the FL heat. You will be fine bring food with you I bring food for the whole day ( Disney security was a little worried about my apple I had but I told him I would not try to give it to snow white ) but seriously I will be going down for a week in a week and more then likely will not pay for any ( ok maybe one meal) the whole week so food is fine to being in.

2. during busy times ( like lunchtimes and dinner time) they like you to order your food before you sit down just because they tend to fill up quickly and this way people that have food have a place to sit, when I go I with other I will normal order my food then find a place to sit ( and the other person is there within a few minutes with our food, no one really says anything The will say something if you go and sit and eat your own food durung buse times but off times ( if you can count like a few emty tables) then you can eat your own food)

3 I more than likely will be going in September too ( going in one week and then I will know when I will be going back. Disney has not really slow times it is just Busy, Buser and why the ( fill in your chose of four letter word here) did I came to Disney but September tens to be less crowded than others time

4 oh you will want a wheelchair for EPCOT as any set will be hard to find a set

5 well they do not sell wheelchair at GR so you will need to go to stroller wheelchair rental ( there is one at every park) and only you need to be there they do not care how many people are with you. If you rent for more then a day then you get ( I think) $2 off each day but you have to tell them I think it is $12 a day and $10 if more then one day. but you can not take the wheelchair with you. and after a long day at the park, the walk back to the car can be quite long

It's not in any way my first time at Disney lol so a lot of the comments you mentioned I'm well aware of -I just havent been since I was 18/19 and didn't have major disability issues besides an injured shoulder.
As I've said before I know how the heat in FL can be (We used to live there) I was kind of just using the chocolate bar as a random example ;) Honestly even summer here I don't keep a chocolate bar in my purse because it can get up to 75-90's (rarely higher) here, don’t really want my Hershey’s all over my keys lol (American Hershey is WAY better than Canadian so i savour it lol :’D Food is really the least of my concerns there though, from responses here the rules on food haven't changed. Lol I wish I could bring things like apples in, but I can't eat the skin and don't like the lemon juice trick so it's a no go for apples and my camera would probably squish my bananas xD but I'm usually fine with crackers so no big gel there.

2. This I know, Last time I went to Disney was August of 2015, my friend and I would take turns getting tables and our food in the busier resturants so that's not too big an issue for us.

3. This I also know, but from Their official list, and considering it's the first week back for schools in Canada most parents here don't take their kids out lol.

4. I personally never had issues sitting at Epcot in the past, I've been there a few times. Mind you i’ve sat on the ground there -funny story my friend sat on the ground during the fireworks and nearly fell asleep, apparently she finds disney ground comfy :D

Still not sure on our transportation to and from the parks yet, all I know is we’re not using the hotel’s one because we’d miss the fireworks, and that’s a big deal to me as a photographer-gotta see those, so maybe I’ll wait to figure that out and plan more to decide how to do the chair,

]

So you want to commando tour the parks, but are worried about the optics of using a wheelchair? But, you are fine and dandy with using a disability pass to make your time standing in line shorter? It may surprise you to know that most people are sore after trying to commando tour parks. Adjust your expectation of what you can do in a day. The little kid who went from open to close isn't going to the parks this time.

I don’t know what you mean by Commando tour the parks.

But honestly it isn’t worth me and my friends to even try going back to the hotel as we are not staying on property and none of us can rent a car in the USA.

It doesn’t suprise me at all honestly. But I know my body’s limits. Last time I went to florida we had a 6 day water park and park hopper option and did back to back park days without coming back to the hotel to rest half way through the day. Were we tired and exhausted and sore? Yes? Was it worth the long days and no come back to the room breaks? To me yes. It’s a personal preference and staying on site or not, returning to the hotel for a break just isn’t an option.

Yes that was before I was diagnosed (not long before but still before) but since we’re not staining on property it just is isn’t worth leaving the park to me. Our hotel isn’t exactly close to the parks either. And I don’t think my friends will want to leave like that. Especially considering we one have a few days to do disney (and aren’t doing every park or every ride) as there are other things we have planned this trip. In all honesty I expect to be tired. I’m gonna be worn out just from the adrenaline and anxiety of going on a plane without my parents for the first time.

The wheelchair is more of an issue to me because there are others that have more issues with their fibro than I have mine in this past year alone. I was able tondo Canada’s Wonderland from open to close without a major issue, but I was also often offering to watch the kids that didn’t want to go on rides or offering to watch the bags because I’m not a fan of rollercoasters. For some people a wheelchair is great, but fibro is different for everyone and how it effects people is different for everyone. What they need to accommodate them can be different too. Just telling me to adjust what I think I can handle isn’t exactly what I was looking for here.

And yes as i mentioned it isn’t always easy for me to explain how my body handles things, but in all honesty considering I do better in the heat, as long as I can sit even if it’s on the ground I’m usually fine.

I was simply asking about the disability because it was suggested to look into it by a family friend who has health issues too. (She doesn’t do disney so she doesn’t know how it works there)

Pain tolerance - how do you relieve the pain at home? Do you sit? Walk? Others have told you that there are very few benches left at WDW. How about thinking of getting a rollator?

2. This I know, Last time I went to Disney was August of 2015, my friend and I would take turns getting tables and our food in the busier resturants so that's not too big an issue for us.

4. I personally never had issues sitting at Epcot in the past, I've been there a few times. Mind you i’ve sat on the ground there -funny story my friend sat on the ground during the fireworks and nearly fell asleep, apparently she finds disney ground comfy :D

Still not sure on our transportation to and from the parks yet, all I know is we’re not using the hotel’s one because we’d miss the fireworks, and that’s a big deal to me as a photographer-gotta see those, so maybe I’ll wait to figure that out and plan more to decide how to do the chair,

It doesn’t suprise me at all honestly. But I know my body’s limits. Last time I went to florida we had a 6 day water park and park hopper option and did back to back park days without coming back to the hotel to rest half way through the day. Were we tired and exhausted and sore? Yes? Was it worth the long days and no come back to the room breaks? To me yes. It’s a personal preference and staying on site or not, returning to the hotel for a break just isn’t an option.

Yes that was before I was diagnosed (not long before but still before) but since we’re not staining on property it just is isn’t worth leaving the park to me. Our hotel isn’t exactly close to the parks either. And I don’t think my friends will want to leave like that. Especially considering we one have a few days to do disney (and aren’t doing every park or every ride) as there are other things we have planned this trip. In all honesty I expect to be tired. I’m gonna be worn out just from the adrenaline and anxiety of going on a plane without my parents for the first time.

The wheelchair is more of an issue to me because there are others that have more issues with their fibro than I have mine in this past year alone. I was able tondo Canada’s Wonderland from open to close without a major issue, but I was also often offering to watch the kids that didn’t want to go on rides or offering to watch the bags because I’m not a fan of rollercoasters. For some people a wheelchair is great, but fibro is different for everyone and how it effects people is different for everyone. What they need to accommodate them can be different too. Just telling me to adjust what I think I can handle isn’t exactly what I was looking for here.

And yes as i mentioned it isn’t always easy for me to explain how my body handles things, but in all honesty considering I do better in the heat, as long as I can sit even if it’s on the ground I’m usually fine.

I was simply asking about the disability because it was suggested to look into it by a family friend who has health issues too. (She doesn’t do disney so she doesn’t know how it works there)

It has been explained that the DAS doesn't do anything but make you wait someplace else. That someplace else may not have a seat for you if you need one. That is why everyone is suggesting you bring a wheelchair or ECV with you to the parks, or rent one there. The DAS will not shorten your day, and it may have you walking/using up your limited energy even more because you would have to get the return time and then go find a place to wait. By your own definition, you wouldn't be getting into another queue while you wait, as the queue itself is the issue?

I actually thinking you should rent a rollator from an offsite vendor. You can put your bags on seat. You can lean on it, have a seat when you need one. Your friends can push it at times, you can leave it in the stroller parking if you want to for periods.

as long as I can sit even if it’s on the ground I’m usually fine.

You keep on saying you will be fine as long as you have s place to sit and this is why we are suggesting a wheelchair as this will give you a place to sit where and when you need one. Do not worry about what others might think they will not care that you are using a wheelchair or that you are just pushing it and not sitting in it.

The DAS does not sound like a fit for you and I think you are exsplaing things just right.

Also what do you hope the DAS will help you with? As I think you are hoping to be able to get a return time for a ride then go sit somewhere and then return to the ride if this is so the DAS is not meant for this

EPCOT during Food and Wine has even fewer areas to sit (even on the ground) than normal. A lot of non-walking space is taken up by the extra kiosks and high top tables (no chairs).

I checked the Canada's Wonderland site since you keep referring to your trip there. It looks like their program is a bit similar with the exception that you use the alternate entrance (usually the exit) and get on the ride. This doesn't actually happen with the DAS. You return through the fast pass line, which can be about 15-20 minutes in addition to the wait time you just had. Many times you wait longer for the ride/attraction than standby, just with a portion of it outside a line. If you are looking to reduce wait times to get more things done, a good touring plan is MUCH better than the DAS.

You can definitely ask for a DAS at Guest Services, but I think what people are trying to help you with is that a DAS will not address fatigue or pain or needing a place to sit and rest for a few minutes. Even if you get a DAS, all those things will still be issues. It's attractive because you don't have to wait in the actual line, but it doesn't really seem to address your NEEDS. People are trying to help you have a comfortable trip which is why they make the suggestions of a mobility aid. It's tough because it's a tool that people are reluctant to use. It admits a change that is emotional, not just physical. I get it. I probably need reading glasses. I do not want to admit it or use them because it means I'm getting older and my eyes are getting older. Do I need them? Probably. Do I WANT them? Nope. It's a hurdle I will need to overcome if I want to avoid the pain of headaches or eye strain, but it's something I don't want to admit to myself. All these things are just tools. We can choose to use them and be more comfortable or choose not to and just accept the pain as part of our pride.

Short, Short Version: if you need a place to sit on occasion, BRING YOUR OWN. since camp/folding chairs are not permitted, your options are a wheelchair, ECV or rollator. DAS does not provide a place to sit.

the ONLY way I can do a park open to close is with a wheelchair. even after my surgery and 1000% improvement in my pain levels and quality of life.

Pain tolerance - how do you relieve the pain at home? Do you sit? Walk? Others have told you that there are very few benches left at WDW. How about thinking of getting a rollator?

It has been explained that the DAS doesn't do anything but make you wait someplace else. That someplace else may not have a seat for you if you need one. That is why everyone is suggesting you bring a wheelchair or ECV with you to the parks, or rent one there. The DAS will not shorten your day, and it may have you walking/using up your limited energy even more because you would have to get the return time and then go find a place to wait. By your own definition, you wouldn't be getting into another queue while you wait, as the queue itself is the issue?

I actually thinking you should rent a rollator from an offsite vendor. You can put your bags on seat. You can lean on it, have a seat when you need one. Your friends can push it at times, you can leave it in the stroller parking if you want to for periods.
Sometimes at home nothing works, sitting bothers me, so does standing and I can't get comfortable in bed (those are my really bad days) I usually end up taking Tylenol or Advil or sometimes my PMS Pain reliever and that's about all I can do,

What's a rollator? Do the parks rent them out or do they just do strollers, wheelchairs and scooters?

I figure if I were to rent one it would be from Disney only, since that'd be the only place I'd really need it If I did. We're doing nondisney water parks the other days and we're usually in the lazy river at water parks so sitting won't be an issue there :) I'm fine at shopping malls/the outlets since I can usually sit in a change room while trying stuff on or go to the food court.

You keep on saying you will be fine as long as you have s place to sit and this is why we are suggesting a wheelchair as this will give you a place to sit where and when you need one. Do not worry about what others might think they will not care that you are using a wheelchair or that you are just pushing it and not sitting in it.

The DAS does not sound like a fit for you and I think you are exsplaing things just right.

Also what do you hope the DAS will help you with? As I think you are hoping to be able to get a return time for a ride then go sit somewhere and then return to the ride if this is so the DAS is not meant for this
I was asking because from what I'd read from Disney's site and other people on Facebook the DAS helped them with more than just the line que issues. There's actually a few people in the facebook groups who have used it for their Fibro and came back at a latter time if they had to sit, they went to somewhere near where they could get food, got a drink and sat there. I was really wanting to know more about how about would someone go about getting it, But this is making me feel like everyone seems to think I want it just because I don't want to wait in line which is NOT the case.

Back to bringing your own snacks in the park, can you have a small cooler in your backpack? I was bringing one to FL for our beach day to keep water cold, but has Disney changed their rules on that?

Short, Short Version: if you need a place to sit on occasion, BRING YOUR OWN. since camp/folding chairs are not permitted, your options are a wheelchair, ECV or rollator. DAS does not provide a place to sit.

the ONLY way I can do a park open to close is with a wheelchair. even after my surgery and 1000% improvement in my pain levels and quality of life.
Well bringing my own isn't an option. I don't own a wheelchair and I don't plan to any time soon unless my fibro got so severe that it was 100% necessary. I understand the DAS does't provide a place to sit. That isn't the only reason I wanted it, there are other reasons besides just being tired.

Sometimes at home nothing works, sitting bothers me, so does standing and I can't get comfortable in bed (those are my really bad days) I usually end up taking Tylenol or Advil or sometimes my PMS Pain reliever and that's about all I can do,

What's a rollator? Do the parks rent them out or do they just do strollers, wheelchairs and scooters?

I figure if I were to rent one it would be from Disney only, since that'd be the only place I'd really need it If I did. We're doing nondisney water parks the other days and we're usually in the lazy river at water parks so sitting won't be an issue there :) I'm fine at shopping malls/the outlets since I can usually sit in a change room while trying stuff on or go to the food court.

I was asking because from what I'd read from Disney's site and other people on Facebook the DAS helped them with more than just the line que issues. There's actually a few people in the facebook groups who have used it for their Fibro and came back at a latter time if they had to sit, they went to somewhere near where they could get food, got a drink and sat there. I was really wanting to know more about how about would someone go about getting it, But this is making me feel like everyone seems to think I want it just because I don't want to wait in line which is NOT the case.

Back to bringing your own snacks in the park, can you have a small cooler in your backpack? I was bringing one to FL for our beach day to keep water cold, but has Disney changed their rules on that?

Well bringing my own isn't an option. I don't own a wheelchair and I don't plan to any time soon unless my fibro got so severe that it was 100% necessary. I understand the DAS does't provide a place to sit. That isn't the only reason I wanted it, there are other reasons besides just being tired.

The DAS is need-based not DX based two people can have the same DX but different needs I use a DAS ( for a few different reasons) and I know some people with some of my DX that a DAS would not work for them and they do not need one. So with this said all you have said is you need a place to sit well if this is the case then a DAS will not help you. You need to think of why waiting in the standby line is hard for you. what about being in line concerns you? what are your worries? all that you have said is needing a place to sit I get that fibo is more than just needing a place to sit that fatigue is more than just tired but you and only you need to be able to explain to Guest relations why it is more or how waiting outside of the line will help you. ( I would recommend getting a wheelchair and trying without the DAS and if you find this is not helping you then go to GR and say I am having problems in the line because of XYZ I have tried using a wheelchair and it is not helping because of ABC

3 years ago I could go from park opening to park closeing I could do this for days in a row I can not anymore I can not do opening to closing, I have to take a break I have to find some plces to get away form people or I will end up in the ER ( been there done that) and I have no other health problems ( beside the ones I have had for years) I am just getting older Like you like everyone else so you might have to find a way to take a break during the day wether you go back to your hotel or go to a hotel at DIsney ( some of the deluse hotels are so relaxing to just sit and take in every thing or you have a nice sit down meal and really rest. I am not saying this because you have a disability but it does make a rest much more important then you think but because you are getting older and you are not as young as you used to be ( and yes 3 yours can make a bug differents)

yes cooler are allowed in the park my friend uses one very similar to this one https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/..._452&msclkid=56a2c18a4c47104ff0729b5c484818b9. it does a good job of keeping out foot cold all day ( we put a few ice back in the bottom of it) and hang it on the back of her ECV. I cannot bring at when she is not here since it would be heaving for me to carry.

As someone that usees the DAS all it does is help you with aiting in the normal standby line at that is all it does nothing more and nothing less if you have other needs then waving an alternitive place to wait then you need to take the CM at the ride ( I have to do this for a few rides) but the only thing a DAS does is give you a place out side the rides to wait, it does not give you a place to sit it does not make the wait shorter ( I find it make the wai longer) it does not help with the parades it does not help with lines to by food it does not help at the end of the day when you are leaving.

I do want you to have a good time but I do not think the DAS fits your needs like I have been saying. I have over did it and had to go to the ER it is not fun it is something I would not wish on anyone I have had to slow way down I have had to take breaks and trust me I am a park open to park close type of person and this was one of the hardest things for me to give up ( even the ER trip I still did not believe it) but you know what I started to listion to my self I started to not push my self to much I atarted takeing breaks and I had a great time I enjoyed my self I was able to do more since I had more energy and was not spenign all my energy on doing more staying longer not takeing breaks.

I hope you have a great trip I hope it is as pain free at it can be I hope you use the tools you need to make this a great trip/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter