Data in the US

Candycane83

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! im from Toronto and am with rogers now. When I travel, I usually turn off roaming and just rely on wifi but I read in the Disneyland board that wifi there is pretty bad. I looked into Rogers and they only offer 7.99 for 50MB right now. Is there any better way of getting data for cheaper? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Are you eligible for their Roam Like Home option ?

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/travel

U.S.
What you get:

The ability to call and message within the U.S. and to Canadian numbers just as you would at home on your monthly plan. All other calls and texts will be charged as if you’re making them from Canada. (Long distance rates will apply.)
Full use of the data included in your monthly plan.
Access to all the extras in your plan like worry-free data management with your MyRogers app.

What you pay:
$7 /DAY

You’re charged for a max of 15 days per monthly bill and only for the days when you actually use your phone in any eligible destination on your trip.

END QUOTE

Nope I’m not eligible apparently... I think it’s only eligible to people with at least 2 lines in their plan

We use ROAM Mobility when in the States for our phones. You will need to purchase one of their SIM cards. I pop it in when we cross the border. You can get calls, texts and data for $4.95 Cdn per day. Check out https://roammobility.com/plans . I don't know if it is cheaper than what you have with Rogers or not.

They work on the T-Mobile network in the US.

We always use ROAM mobility for travel in the states. Even with a substantial staff discount with one of the major wireless carriers here, it works out to go with ROAM. Also, I like having a US number for text notifications from Disney restaurants and resorts. I’m not sure about DL, but at WDW you have to have a US number for notifications.

We use ROAM Mobility when in the States for our phones. You will need to purchase one of their SIM cards. I pop it in when we cross the border. You can get calls, texts and data for $4.95 Cdn per day. Check out https://roammobility.com/plans . I don't know if it is cheaper than what you have with Rogers or not.

They work on the T-Mobile network in the US.

We always use ROAM mobility for travel in the states. Even with a substantial staff discount with one of the major wireless carriers here, it works out to go with ROAM. Also, I like having a US number for text notifications from Disney restaurants and resorts. I’m not sure about DL, but at WDW you have to have a US number for notifications.

Thank you both! I’ll check this out, sounds much cheaper than Rogers!

We also are Roam Mobility users... We went to Florida in March and August this year. We purchased the $39.99 monthly plan each time as we are not large data users.

If you look at the Snowbird plans, it would be cheaper to use this year round than to have a plan with any of the major carriers here in Canada!

I only have one phone on my rogers account and I've used roam-like-home a few times now.
Oh... hmm, someone on the chat told me to talk to a sales person to add it in. I assumed it was because I had one line. Thanks for the tip!

We were at DL this August and used roam. Great service. Also you get .5gig per day and you get it all up front. So we had it for 6 days 3gigs. Was great for waze when we were driving arpund and trying not to get lost.

I use Fido Roam Like home, same as Rogers. $7/day. But only when you use it. I’m hoping that wifi at DL is improved (since May) and I don’t trigger my roaming. But it’s good to have as a backup. I can wait to return to hotel to send emails, texts etc on wifi.

I use Fido Roam Like home, same as Rogers. $7/day. But only when you use it. I’m hoping that wifi at DL is improved (since May) and I don’t trigger my roaming. But it’s good to have as a backup. I can wait to return to hotel to send emails, texts etc on wifi.
Did u use it a lot in May? I have not been to DL in 5 years. Wifi at WDW was ok.

Did u use it a lot in May? I have not been to DL in 5 years. Wifi at WDW was ok.
Wifi was spotty at DL, but didn’t use it a lot. Mostly wanted it because we had their Max Pass, (highly recommend) but my friend from LA was with us, so she made all our FPs. So, to answer your question, no, I didn’t have to use it every day. If I wanted to send a text I could just wait until I had a signal if I didn’t where I was standing.

I remember when WDW rolled out park wide wifi, at first it was bad. But it’s improved, and I expect DL wifi will too, now that they have technology that needs cellular.

Wifi was spotty at DL, but didn’t use it a lot. Mostly wanted it because we had their Max Pass, (highly recommend) but my friend from LA was with us, so she made all our FPs. So, to answer your question, no, I didn’t have to use it every day. If I wanted to send a text I could just wait until I had a signal if I didn’t where I was standing.

I remember when WDW rolled out park wide wifi, at first it was bad. But it’s improved, and I expect DL wifi will too, now that they have technology that needs cellular.
Yes! I have maxpass with my tickets! This is one of the reasons why I think I need data. Plus mobile ordering too! Good to know, I’ll definitely try and get roam mobility. Seems like the cheapest option! Thanks ! :)

Yes! I have maxpass with my tickets! This is one of the reasons why I think I need data. Plus mobile ordering too! Good to know, I’ll definitely try and get roam mobility. Seems like the cheapest option! Thanks ! :)
You’ll love Max Pass! While standing in queue for one attraction we’re already making FP for the next one.

OP, if you are interested in Rogers "Roam like Home", check with them but I believe pretty much all their customers have access to it (originaly, corporate plan members didn't get it but that changed several years ago). I believe the only customers that might not have it are "pre-paid" clients. We've used it a bunch of times but it's gotten more expensive to the point where financially, it's really not a good deal (US is $7/day for a max of 15 days so a 2 week trip will cost you $98 plus tax, Intl is $12/day for $168 for 2 weeks) (it used to be $6/day for a max of 10 days).

We've used Roam Mobility in the past and the price is much more reasonable BUT you need to be aware of 2 limitations: Roam Mobility means using a different SIM card in your phone so you will not receive calls and texts sent to your regular cell number (you can forward calls but I'm not sure you can forward texts) - for some people, this might be a deal breaker. Your phone has to be unlocked to work with the Roam Mobility SIM - Canadian phone companies must unlock phones for free now so it's not a huge issue but you need to make sure you get it done if your phone is locked to a provider otherwise your phone will not recognize the Roam Mobility SIM.

The third option is to simply register with a US provider. This has the same limitations as Roam Mobility so it might not be worth the hassle. You can find cheaper than Roam Mobility but it's probably not tons cheaper.

OP, if you are interested in Rogers "Roam like Home", check with them but I believe pretty much all their customers have access to it (originaly, corporate plan members didn't get it but that changed several years ago). I believe the only customers that might not have it are "pre-paid" clients. We've used it a bunch of times but it's gotten more expensive to the point where financially, it's really not a good deal (US is $7/day for a max of 15 days so a 2 week trip will cost you $98 plus tax, Intl is $12/day for $168 for 2 weeks) (it used to be $6/day for a max of 10 days).

We've used Roam Mobility in the past and the price is much more reasonable BUT you need to be aware of 2 limitations: Roam Mobility means using a different SIM card in your phone so you will not receive calls and texts sent to your regular cell number (you can forward calls but I'm not sure you can forward texts) - for some people, this might be a deal breaker. Your phone has to be unlocked to work with the Roam Mobility SIM - Canadian phone companies must unlock phones for free now so it's not a huge issue but you need to make sure you get it done if your phone is locked to a provider otherwise your phone will not recognize the Roam Mobility SIM.

The third option is to simply register with a US provider. This has the same limitations as Roam Mobility so it might not be worth the hassle. You can find cheaper than Roam Mobility but it's probably not tons cheaper.
Ah that explains it! I do have a corporate plan!

Yes my phone is unlocked and I wouldn’t need text or calls I think... :) I would just need to FaceTime family for Xmas but I probably should be able to do that with another number. thanks for pointing that out to me though! Love how helpful everyone is here!

My wife's is corporate and she just had to call and ask about it and they switched something for her to be able to get it. Nothing changed in her plan (still on corporate rate) but now she's able to get it (and this was at least 2 years ago - I know that because it's before she got her current phone which she's planning on changing in December because her "24 months" paying it are over). (It's also how she was able to get the free Spotify for 2 or 3 years)

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!