Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

I'm admittedly still trying to wade through these posts, apologies if this has all been answered.

My family and I booked a rental through David's and received the voucher, which while I can appreciate David's feels that's the best/only fair way, we have concerns with it. I reached out to David's and didn't get very far, but a few points:

- We used PayPal, so is considering a dispute totally moot at this point and ergo it would be advised to take the voucher?
- If we take the voucher and David's goes under, there's probably no recourse and that money would just be lost?

Thanks in advance, there's been a lot of good info skimming here, and we're trying to understand the full risk and make the best decision.
Most likely you will lose a PayPal dispute. However if you used a credit card through PayPal you can contact the credit card company and file a charge back.

I'm admittedly still trying to wade through these posts, apologies if this has all been answered.

My family and I booked a rental through David's and received the voucher, which while I can appreciate David's feels that's the best/only fair way, we have concerns with it. I reached out to David's and didn't get very far, but a few points:

- We used PayPal, so is considering a dispute totally moot at this point and ergo it would be advised to take the voucher?
- If we take the voucher and David's goes under, there's probably no recourse and that money would just be lost?

Thanks in advance, there's been a lot of good info skimming here, and we're trying to understand the full risk and make the best decision.
If you used a credit card with PayPal, you are still covered by the credit card - should start there.

If you paid with a credit card via PayPal, then I would try the dispute resolution process through both channels. If one says no, then maybe the other will say yes. I would try PayPal first, then your credit card account if PayPal doesn't come through for you.

Stevef86, in your case, I would try PayPal at the very least. Even if you paid via PayPal with your bank account, the worst that happens is they don't cover it and you're right where you started. If you paid via PayPal with your credit/debit card, then if/when PayPal doesn't cover the transaction, then go ahead and try it with your credit/debit card.

If filing a chargeback with your credit card company, and you paid via PayPal, be sure to NOT file it as a fraudulent transaction. Doing so will cause PayPal to flag your whole PayPal account for fraud and lock it down. Be sure to file it as "goods not received" and/or "goods not as described".

From PayPal's site about this:
from https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#purchase-protection

Dispute with us or your card issuer
If you used a debit or credit card as the payment method for a transaction through your PayPal account and you are dissatisfied with the transaction, you may be entitled to dispute the transaction with your card issuer. Applicable card chargeback rights may be broader than those available to you under PayPal’s Purchase Protection program. For example, if you dispute a transaction with your card issuer, you may be able to recover amounts you paid for unsatisfactory items even if they don’t qualify for protection under a Significantly Not as Described claim with us.

You must choose whether to pursue a dispute with PayPal under our Purchase Protection program, or to pursue the dispute with your card issuer. You can’t do both at the same time or seek a double recovery. If you pursue a dispute/claim with us and you also pursue a dispute for the same transaction with your card issuer, we’ll close your dispute/claim with us. This won’t affect the dispute process with your card issuer. In addition, if you pursue a dispute with your card issuer, you cannot pursue a dispute/claim with us later.

If you choose to dispute a transaction with PayPal and we decide against you, you can seek to pursue the dispute with your card issuer later. If PayPal does not make a final decision on your claim until after your card issuer's deadline for filing a dispute, and because of our delay you recover less than the full amount you would have been entitled to recover from the card issuer, we will reimburse you for the remainder of your loss (minus any amount you have already recovered from the seller or your card issuer).

Before contacting your card issuer or filing a dispute with PayPal, you should contact the seller to attempt to resolve your issue in accordance with the seller’s return policy.

That's a great question and I should've clarified in my original post. Based on the customer service rep that I spoke with, they count the number of separate transactions on your credit card statement, so for me it was six (3 deposits plus 3 charges).

I just called Chase and wanted to confirm what you said - since I had 4 transactions for a split stay (2 deposit, 2 for the balance) I have to file by paper rather than over the phone. Unlike your case, they did not process the first 2 over the phone, but are sending all 4 by paper instead (hopefully, electronically instead of USPS).

Well my June 2-7 reservation for Vero is no longer in MDE.

What did others do about contacting David’s? I do not want to reply to the voucher offer as I am pretty sure we don’t want to go down that road. I am also eagerly waiting Disney’s announcement tomorrow to see when Vero and HHI will open.

Would it be to much to ask David to move the dates and keep my original owner if the owners points allow for it? I would think this would be easier then writing a new contract and so on. Thoughts, is that being unreasonable?

Well my June 2-7 reservation for Vero is no longer in MDE.

What did others do about contacting David’s? I do not want to reply to the voucher offer as I am pretty sure we don’t want to go down that road. I am also eagerly waiting Disney’s announcement tomorrow to see when Vero and HHI will open.

Would it be to much to ask David to move the dates and keep my original owner if the owners points allow for it? I would think this would be easier then writing a new contract and so on. Thoughts, is that being unreasonable?

It is perfectly reasonable. However, based on owners and renters experience so far, he has not been willing to do this. Maybe, with the announcement tomorrow, and him having an idea of when resorts will be taking guests again, his stance will change!

It does not hurt to ask and go from there!!

It is perfectly reasonable. However, based on owners and renters experience so far, he has not been willing to do this. Maybe, with the announcement tomorrow, and him having an idea of when resorts will be taking guests again, his stance will change!

It does not hurt to ask and go from there!!
Thanks! I’m hoping I can work something out with him.

on another note I am disappointed with the customer service. I didn’t get any kind of email or call from David’s at least expressing that they care about me the customer and are willing to work with all parties involved to come to a reasonable agreement to this situation. IMO a simple email or 3 minute call would go a long way.

Not wanting to be a Debbie downer here just an FYI from my own experience - you just can’t trust what he tells you as it changes with the wind - he could say he will work with y’all then turn around and not which was my experience
Just my two cents but I wouldn’t put any faith in anything this Company has to say they have made it very clear to me who is important to them - not Owners and not renters which leaves David. Going forward I would not be able to do any business with them with the terms he is using.
I wish you the best of luck and if he won’t work with you I would urge you to consider a charge back if you do not want his voucher.
please post to let us know how it goes
Thanks !!

DVC opening approximately 3 weeks before parks officially open makes me worried for renters who have reservations caught up in that period (and aren’t okay with resort only). No doubt that has to mess up chargebacks, but I wonder what David’s does with vouchers.

DVC opening approximately 3 weeks before parks officially open makes me worried for renters who have reservations caught up in that period (and aren’t okay with resort only). No doubt that has to mess up chargebacks, but I wonder what David’s does with vouchers.

Yeah this is going to be a mess. Renters will want refunds. Owners will expect their money is resorts are open. Chargeback will be tough if resort is open and available to check into.

based on david's past actions, I expect he'll tell renters they are SOL if resort is open AND likely try to find a way not to pay the 30% since they didn't checkin.

Received the following questions from RBC. Looking for advice on how to answer the questions to optimize my chances of winning the dispute.

- What happened (a description of the dispute)?
- Did you cancel prior to the expected delivery date? OR
Has the merchant cancelled (If yes, please provide the date merchant notified you and method of contact?
If you cancelled, please provide the method of cancellation and date.
What is the merchant's cancellation policy?
- On what date did you attempt to resolve with the merchant?
- How did you contact them?
- What did the merchant offer as a resolution?

Has anyone been able to get through to Davids in the past day or two? The live chat is down on the site and all I get is a recorded message when I call

Has anyone been able to get through to Davids in the past day or two? The live chat is down on the site and all I get is a recorded message when I call

They’ve been active as recently as about 30 mins ago on Facebook sharing the announcement.

It's been like that for months. Email is your best chance, and even then you might not hear back.

They are likely swamped right now both with people who have trips during the now closed resort time AND people with trips planned during the no-parks time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter