Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

I emailed them asking about it. They said due to complexity of banking and borrowing points that cancellations are not permitted per their all sales final policy.

Do you have the owner's email address? You could contact them directly and let them know they can cancel. If my renters did this I'd cancel the reservation and donate the points to charity.

Do you have the owner's email address? You could contact them directly and let them know they can cancel. If my renters did this I'd cancel the reservation and donate the points to charity.

Nope. Only first and last names. They kept the two parties very separated.

But if the owner cancels they are required to return the money they have already received.

Nope. Only first and last names. They kept the two parties very separated.

As an owner I have my renter's email address and other details. I haven't contacted anyone direct though. I know neither of my renters wish to travel and I've agreed to change names if David's can find a new renter.

I doubt David's has the time or resource to commence legal proceedings, particularly against international owners.
Or even the time/resources necessary to even check if a reservation is even still valid on check in day. My guess is that David's only finds out about these in the case that a renter actually shows up and finds they don't have a reservation. But in these cases, the renter ISN'T showing up.

Or even the time/resources necessary to even check if a reservation is even still valid on check in day. My guess is that David's only finds out about these in the case that a renter actually shows up and finds they don't have a reservation. But in these cases, the renter ISN'T showing up.

I wouldn't like to take the risk. What if they did show up?!

In which case the owner should return the money already received. No reason they should be enriched by your misfortune.

And yes, I realize the money will not go to the renter but to David’s. Still the money should be returned

Most likely. the owner will simply allow the points to be lost, collect the 30% owed to them an walk away,

No real Reason for an owner to lose when things are open. Now, one option that could be offered is foe the owner to keep the points but allow David’s to give the renter the owners 30% still owed...with his commission, the renter would still end up with about 50% of their cost in a voucher.

There are ways to make it a win/win for all.

The only problem with this is that if the owner cancels, then the renter can request a full refund, even if they agree to it via the owner as a side deal,

IMO, it’d be risky to do as an owner,

The only problem with this is that if the owner cancels, then the renter can request a full refund, even if they agree to it via the owner as a side deal,

IMO, it’d be risky to do as an owner,
I agree, as the owner, I would never cancel a rental I had made for a client thru David’s without written convent from David’s.

We had a reservation through David's for October that we had asked about a month ago to cancel. Received an email today stating that they had found a new renter, which surprised me considering how much was available. We decided to take the credit because 3 years seems like a lot of time and since this was our first adult only trip in 11 years we plan on rebooking when we can. I am sure this has already been mentioned in the thread but I thought this was an interesting clause in the new terms for the credit:

"In the event of a global pandemic, natural disaster, force Majeure or any other event outside the reasonable control of David's Vacation Club Rentals, this Credit remains non-refundable and no modification, cancelations or rebooking will be permitted. "

In hindsight I wish I had just taken the refund they offered, we only would have been out $300 which was a lot easier to swallow than losing the original cost of the trip.
Either way, I don't think I will be renting from them again, and as an owner I definitely won't go through them if I ever have points to rent (although I never seem to have any points which is why I had to rent for this trip :rotfl2:)

I am sure this has already been mentioned in the thread but I thought this was an interesting clause in the new terms for the credit:

"In the event of a global pandemic, natural disaster, force Majeure or any other event outside the reasonable control of David's Vacation Club Rentals, this Credit remains non-refundable and no modification, cancelations or rebooking will be permitted. "

That clause is perhaps the biggest source of consternation for those accepting vouchers. Once you redeem them, you waive any further changes, even if resorts were to close again.

Reactions: cm8
That clause is perhaps the biggest source of consternation for those accepting vouchers. Once you redeem them, you waive any further changes, even if resorts were to close again.
Yeah, it is definitely pretty sketchy and one of the reasons, I won't go this route again. Just hope we will be able to get a trip in using the credit.

We had a reservation through David's for October that we had asked about a month ago to cancel. Received an email today stating that they had found a new renter, which surprised me considering how much was available. We decided to take the credit because 3 years seems like a lot of time and since this was our first adult only trip in 11 years we plan on rebooking when we can. I am sure this has already been mentioned in the thread but I thought this was an interesting clause in the new terms for the credit:

In hindsight I wish I had just taken the refund they offered, we only would have been out $300 which was a lot easier to swallow than losing the original cost of the trip.
Either way, I don't think I will be renting from them again, and as an owner I definitely won't go through them if I ever have points to rent (although I never seem to have any points which is why I had to rent for this trip :rotfl2:)

send them an email saying you want the refund and you’ve changed your mind about the voucher. Don’t you have to sign a new contract to accept the new terms ?

I just wanted to give anyone out there hoping for a charge back, my fantastic news I just saw on my CHASE account!
They found in my favor against David's in my dispute over no refunds!
I provided my information about the situation and after David's tried to shoot me down I sent more information including the fact that if we cancelled or defaulted there was no refund. I highlighted that section as well as the section that talked about if no room available I would receive a refund.
They finalized the dispute overnight and made the credit permanent.
I started the dispute on May 23rd, so it took over 11 weeks but I am just very happy with Chase's decision.

There's something to be said for working with someone who knows what he/she is doing - on both sides of the transaction.
This is actually what is most disturbing to me about how David’s is handling this whole situation.

They do not understand how the modification process actually works... and I found this out through a series of emails between myself and them. The whole thing is just sad because so many people are hurt & upset by this, and I think they should’ve done their homework before rolling out their new policy.

Right now, they say they are able to give you a partial refund/total credit IF they can find a new renter for the owner... so, I assumed they meant a new renter for those points (as that is what would make the most sense & the most people happy)... but, no. They actually mean they must find a new renter for your exact reservation... which is why their site is flooded with dedicated reservations for rent. They still have people lined up with new reservation requests which should be matched with the ded-res owners... not waiting for new owners.

However, David’s is under the serious misunderstanding that the owner would be in violation of the contract if they modify the booking for the current renter to a time more suitable for their travel, or to a new renter with a different request... because they fundamentally do not understand how modifications work and believe the owner must first cancel a reservation & then separately rebook (in a new transaction). Furthermore, because of that misguided theory, they also mistakenly believe that the owner would need to have enough points on hand for two separate bookings, so that they could have a new booking in place before legally being able to cancel the first booking. Zero of that is true!

I respectfully explained all of this to them and although they were very skeptical at first, they finally saw they may not have properly understood modifications... but said they are still going to stick with their flawed model. It’s incredibly unfortunate for all involved.

This is actually what is most disturbing to me about how David’s is handling this whole situation.

They do not understand how the modification process actually works... and I found this out through a series of emails between myself and them. The whole thing is just sad because so many people are hurt & upset by this, and I think they should’ve done their homework before rolling out their new policy.

Right now, they say they are able to give you a partial refund/total credit IF they can find a new renter for the owner... so, I assumed they meant a new renter for those points (as that is what would make the most sense & the most people happy)... but, no. They actually mean they must find a new renter for your exact reservation... which is why their site is flooded with dedicated reservations for rent. They still have people lined up with new reservation requests which should be matched with the ded-res owners... not waiting for new owners.

However, David’s is under the serious misunderstanding that the owner would be in violation of the contract if they modify the booking for the current renter to a time more suitable for their travel, or to a new renter with a different request... because they fundamentally do not understand how modifications work and believe the owner must first cancel a reservation & then separately rebook (in a new transaction). Furthermore, because of that misguided theory, they also mistakenly believe that the owner would need to have enough points on hand for two separate bookings, so that they could have a new booking in place before legally being able to cancel the first booking. Zero of that is true!

I respectfully explained all of this to them and although they were very skeptical at first, they finally saw they may not have properly understood modifications... but said they are still going to stick with their flawed model. It’s incredibly unfortunate for all involved.

Here is the thing though...from an owners stand point, it is a breach of the contract by Davids to ask or expect the owner to make changes. David’s can not force an owner to book something for someone else...the contract is between them and the original renter.

When we signed, it was to book one trip and that was it. Even asking the owner to change names is technically not something we need to do,

In addition, if the dates are changed, the owner is now waiting for the rest of their money.

Now, an owner can modify and leave lead guest for new dates, but again, that is asking an owner to change things when really, there is no reason why when resorts are open.

While I have been very critical of David’s, in this case, the fact that he even asked owners if they would be willing to change names for renters uncomfortable or not able to go was a pretty nice gesture,

David’s is doing what he is doing because he is trying to balance renters and owners and if he started asking all those owners to book a new renter it would severely hurt him in the long run.

Here is the thing though...from an owners stand point, it is a breach of the contract by Davids to ask or expect the owner to make changes. David’s can not force an owner to book something for someone else...the contract is between them and the original renter.
I am also an owner currently renting through David’s. I understand what you’re saying, but if both sides agree to a change to the original contract (which is they’re currently doing)- there is no breach. I am definitely not suggesting David’s force owners to change if they don’t want to. The contract is there to protect them. But I, as an owner, want to be able to actually help the renter in question- not merely change lead guest names (like the current model does).
Now, an owner can modify and leave lead guest for new dates, but again, that is asking an owner to change things when really, there is no reason why when resorts are open.
Renters are from everywhere- including different countries. It’s not as simple as the “resorts are open.” Plus people with highly compromised immune systems are put in a real bind. It’s a unique situation and nothing is cut and dry. (On both sides of the fence! Owners & renters!!)
David’s is doing what he is doing because he is trying to balance renters and owners and if he started asking all those owners to book a new renter it would severely hurt him in the long run.
I disagree. Asking never hurts. He might find a lot of willing owners (like myself!) who are willing to go in and do a modification. Either way, David’s does all the work finding the best fit for me. 👍🏻
While I have been very critical of David’s, in this case, the fact that he even asked owners if they would be willing to change names for renters uncomfortable or not able to go was a pretty nice gesture,
I completely agree. He could’ve stood by his 100% no cancellation policy, if he really wanted to. I truly believe he is trying to help- I just think he could’ve done better (since a flawed understanding was behind the new policy).

I am also an owner currently renting through David’s. I understand what you’re saying, but if both sides agree to a change to the original contract (which is they’re currently doing)- there is no breach. I am definitely not suggesting David’s force owners to change if they don’t want to. The contract is there to protect them. But I, as an owner, want to be able to actually help the renter in question- not merely change lead guest names (like the current model does).

Renters are from everywhere- including different countries. It’s not as simple as the “resorts are open.” Plus people with highly compromised immune systems are put in a real bind. It’s a unique situation and nothing is cut and dry. (On both sides of the fence! Owners & renters!!)

I disagree. Asking never hurts. He might find a lot of willing owners (like myself!) who are willing to go in and do a modification. Either way, David’s does all the work finding the best fit for me. 👍🏻

I completely agree. He could’ve stood by his 100% no cancellation policy, if he really wanted to. I truly believe he is trying to help- I just think he could’ve done better (since a flawed understanding was behind the new policy).

For you, its no big deal. For me, as an owner, it would have been..and I would venture to guess I am not the only one.

My renters must be going as they check in in 10 days and I have not been contacted.

Sorry, but I disagree that this situation should no longer fall under the normal terms of non refundable when resorts are open. There are renters all the time that I bet have had issues like death or illness that have been stuck.

But, from his standpoint, giving the number of renters that want out, I can see why it made sense to take the one Size fits all approach now because I can imagine he would get a lot of flack from renters since anything beside the confirmed reservation being rented is so owner dependent.

Of course, my rental days with his company are over and can’t wait for this one and only to be completed.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter