David's Vacation Club Rentals

This is covered by Dave's renters agreement:
Renter agrees to abide by all Disney Vacation Club terms, policies and rules applicable to Disney Vacation Club members and Disney Vacation Club membership. Renter agrees to be responsible for any unpaid charges or damages to the unit rented, including all contents and improvements, Disney Vacation Club property and Disney property during his/her stay that are assessed against the Member or his membership. Any unpaid charges or damages assessed shall be reimbursed to the Member or the Associate Member or their assigned agents within 10 business days of notice to Renter. Sending a fax or e-mail copy of a Disney Vacation Club or other Walt Disney Company communication assessing the charges or damages shall satisfy notice to the Renter. Renter agrees to pay any and all charges to the Member or the Associate Member or their assigned agents for any fees or charges related to the collection of any monies owing.
There is a major problem with any kind of agreement - with anyone, for anything - involving the amount of money we are talking about in a DVC rental. The problem has absolutely nothing to do with David's service -- I've heard nothing but good things about his site.

In relatively small business transactions like a DVC rental, a contract is helpful mostly to clearly spell out the obligations and expectations of the parties. Most rental issues revolve around misunderstandings, and contracts are helpful there.

But if a dispute occurs, the problem becomes enforcing a contract for a small amount of money. That is done through litigation and collection efforts, and that process is simply too costly to be worthwhile for this small an amount.

In addition, the above-quoted part of this particular contract doesn't tell us, but it matters greatly WHO is a party to the contract. Are the owner, renter, and the broker all three signatories to the contract? Or are there two contracts -- one between broker and owner, and another between broker and renter?

If there are two contracts, the contract with the renter has no relevence to the owner. The owner's contract is with the broker and these matters would be governed by that document...not the quote above. And with the same problems of litigation and collection if there is a difference of opinion.

Historically, unpaid renter charges to a room or damage to a villa have been a pretty rare occurrance and I personally think they are a relatively remote risk to an owner. But owners should be aware that the risk does exist.

In my opinion, and I have never used DVCrequest or anything of the sort, WDW will never do anything about David's site even if it in breach of some DVC rule. They do not want a single open room, ever! Even though most people dont want to admit this, WDW is a business and their mission is to make money. An open (unoccupied) room is a loss of potential profits. They would rather the points be rented to somebody than go to waste because as long as somebody is in the room, there is an opporunity to sell stuff like those Mickey ice cream sandwiches or a 7 day park hopper.

I really do not understand why everyone is getting so political about this topic at all. Sure, it is your "exclusive" resorts that are now housing these "renters" but get off of your high horses and lets all get along :) I mean, it is Disney World :)

In my opinion, and I have never used DVCrequest or anything of the sort, WDW will never do anything about David's site even if it in breach of some DVC rule. They do not want a single open room, ever! Even though most people dont want to admit this, WDW is a business and their mission is to make money. An open (unoccupied) room is a loss of potential profits. They would rather the points be rented to somebody than go to waste because as long as somebody is in the room, there is an opporunity to sell stuff like those Mickey ice cream sandwiches or a 7 day park hopper.

I disagree. I don't see any evidence that a significant number of guests are taking a "rental or bust" approach to Disney vacations. First they decide to go and THEN they seek out the most economical way to do it.

And when they choose to rent points rather than paying cash to stay at a Deluxe, Moderate or even Value resort, they are taking money out of Disney's coffers.

That said, I don't think there's anything morally or ethically wrong with either renting points or with David's rental service. But I don't see Disney embracing rentals either. Bottom line is it gives consumers a way to stay at Disney accommodations for less than the prices Disney charges.

Back to the OP question if I can even remember it anymore ;)

I haven't rent points from him yet but at some point soon I'm going to rent points. When I do I'll go through a broker to rent. He does require you to put skin in the game (the deposit) and the cost is higher $13 vs $8, $9, or $10 going directly to the member. But those extra couple of dollars is for peace of mind. Not that anyone who loves Disney would scam someone with their points. Just like everyone who goes to WDW has well behaved children and navigates their scooter or stroller in a safe and courteous manner.
People (renters and owners) are free to use him or not. Disney is well aware of his matchmaking (loved the comparison) and clearly has no problem with it. He would be out of the brokering business if they did. It's a win win for everyone.

Disney is well aware of his matchmaking (loved the comparison) and clearly has no problem with it. He would be out of the brokering business if they did.

There is nothing inherently illegal about either renting points or acting as a broker to arrange rentals. That's why Disney cannot do anything about it.

Don't mistake that for Disney embracing the process or encouraging rentals. I suspect David would be the first one to tell you that they have gone out of their way to make his efforts more difficult over the last couple of years.

To answer the OP's question: I signed up for David's emails on special prices, and got the bug to go to WDW for my 60th birthday. We own only 250 points, and they are totally spoken for. I priced out staying at a moderate at an AP rate, and then got an email from David for SSR points at $7! I jumped on the opportunity, and am staying for 4 days, 3 nights for less than a discounted moderate resort would have been!

I am very happy with this service. I received prompt emails when I added a room location request and DME info.

HTH

Please confine comments to the question posed by the OP asking those who have used the service for their experiences. This is not the place for a debate about renting, DIS advertisers or what constitutes commercial renters - there are already other threads where those topics are discussed.

The same request was made on the previous page in this same thread and the same policy is still in place.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Hello,

How do you go about avoiding the international fees that come with paying with a credit card from the US? Does PayPal add any international fees if you use your credit card through them?

Thanks,
simplymel3

I am sorry I cannot answer the pp question but I do want to give my 2 cents about DVCrequest.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!! We are able to stay at a DVC for about the cost of 1-2 years maintenance fees. Don't get me wrong...I WOULD LOVE TO OWN A DVC but my CPA husband is not sold on the value of it. So we get to enjoy some of the "benefits" of membership without the huge initial investment.

Dave is WONDERFUL to deal with! We have never had any issue with renting points. Plus being able to schedule a last minute trip at $7 per point is a HUGE savings!

JMHO!:lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter