Day 7 - Our Southern California Trip (the rest of Disneyland park)

jabead

DIS Veteran
Cast - DH, 3 kids (ages 6, 9, 12), and myself

Dates - June 21 - July 3, 2002

Day 7 - Again we were up and out of our room with breakfast in hand (from Whitewater Snacks) and in line to enter Disneyland at 7:50. When the gates opened at 8:00 we walked immediately toward the Matterhorn (another ride they don't have at WDW). As we were walking by the castle we saw Sleeping Beauty and her Prince (Philip) standing by themselves on a path just to the right of the castle. We stopped for autographs and pics and still were able to ride the Matterhorn twice (once on each side) without standing in line. This was fun, but a very bumpy ride. Then we did some more Fantasyland rides that they don't have at WDW - Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Alice in Wonderland, and Storybook Land Canal boats. We also spent a short time in Toon Town, just long enough to do the Roger Rabit ride, Gadget's Go Coaster (very short ride that is not worth standing in line for), and DS did Goofy's Bounce House (everyone else was too tall, which was kind of funny since Goofy himself was in there at the time). We then walked back towards the castle where we saw Cinderella on the left side of the castle with only a short line so got her autograph and picture. As we were walking toward the Toy Shoppe (to see Belle's story time) we saw Esmerelda standing in the castle alcove. The kids enjoyed Belle's story and getting her picture in her beautiful ball gown (we had seen her many times at WDW in her blue work dress and apron but had never before seen her in her lovely gown, except in the parade). Then she told us that the Beast had just arrived outside so we went out to get his pic. Unlike at WDW, the Beast actually signed autograph books here, as did other characters like Buzz & Woody(who use stamps at WDW)and Sully from Monsters, Inc. etc. The kids thought this was pretty neat. We then saw several other characters in the park in front of the castle such as Peter Pan, Foulfellow, Donald Duck etc. This area and the front of the park seemed to be the best places to find various characters. At the front of the park we saw the Genie, Queen of Hearts, Mary Poppins & penguin, Pinocchio & Gepetto, Capt. Hook & Mr. Smee, and the Mad Hatter to name a few in addition to Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Pluto. Anyway we then headed to Tomorrowland where we got Fast Passes for Space Mtn (DS's favorite ride at WDW). While we were waiting we went to the Buzz Lightyear show at Club Buzz and ate lunch at Redd Rockett's Pizza Port (again received a 10% AP discount). We all had pizza here (I think we shared 3 slices, they were huge) and it was very good. It was then time for Space Mtn. but we first stopped to get another set of FPs for Space Mtn. so we could ride it twice. The ride was much like that at WDW only two people could ride in each seat (which I liked since I'm a big chicken when it comes to rollercoaster type rides). While we were waiting to use our second set of FPs we went on Star Tours (exactly the same as WDW) and into the Innoventions building. Before entering the building they warned us that there were no restrooms inside. Everyone said they were fine so we entered. After about 5 min. DS told me that he had to go to the bathroom and RIGHT AWAY - UGH!!! I immediately located an exit, we walked down the very looong ramp, and then found the closest restroom which was all the back by the Space Mtn. exit. Luckily we did make it, but I was praying all the way there (LOL!) We decided to just wait outside for the others (we had two-way radios so I was able to tell DDs and DH where we were). We then did our second trip on Space Mtn. (once had actually been enough for me but the rest of the family overruled me). We then had ice cream at the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor before splitting up. DD1 and I shared the huge Gibson Girl hot sundae and it was wonderful! DH and DD2 then went back to the room (only we later found out they made a detour through the other park first, LOL!) while the rest of us stayed for the character parade. We then went to the Mickey's Detective School show at the Fantasyland Theatre. The show was fun but we were pretty hot and tired so took the train from the Toontown station back to Main St. and exited the park. We all rested back in the room and then decided to go to eat at one of the Downtown Disney restaurants. The kids and I all wanted to try Rainforest Cafe but DH refused (we had had a really bad experience at the one at WDW-AK and was not willing to give it another shot). So while we argued about where to eat DD1 got a hair wrap. By this time it was almost 10:00p.m. so I gave up on eating at a nice restaurant and headed back to the hotel where we ordered hamburgers, chicken fingers, and grilled cheese from Whitewater Snacks (we got there just as they were closing but they very nicely took our order anyway). We took the food to our room to eat and it was actually pretty good. Just one more Disney day to go!!!

Wow - you sure did run into the characters today - thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter