DCL and young adults with developmental delay

LisaBi

DIS Veteran
DS is now 24 and has Down Syndrome. He last cruised when he was still young enough for the kids club. He's now begging to go on another cruise, but I'm concerned he'd end up bored. I assume that at over 18 he won't be allowed in the teen club. He's remembering the fun in the kids club and doesn't understand those types of activities don't exist for adults. Does anyone have any input on what there is for him to do other than swimming and the evening shows? He wouldn't care about the seminars, tastings, bingo, and all the other adult activities. Any personal experience? Also, it would be just the two of us...so no just sitting with a book and a drink for me.

We are at WDW now. I was talking to him about planning another trip and he said he doesn't want another WDW trip because he wants to go on a cruise.

They have open hours during the cruise for the kids club. You can take him to those. Depending on the activities he enjoyed in the clubs, there are family activities that might be of interest to him. Since it was our first cruise, my sister was nervous so we did not want to participate as much as she normally would. I know that many of the family activities would have been enough to entice her.

If you have not checked them out lately, you can find some of the Personal Navigators in the link below to help see what might be offered on a cruise.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/category/cruise-planning/personal-navigators/

There are movies throughout the day/night -- both on the pool deck and indoors at the Buens Visra theater. Does he care for sports at all, or even just to try? There is the sports deck with mini golf, basketball court and sports simulators (golf and soccer, not sure what else), possibly more as my family hadn't really spent much time there. Would he enjoy towel-folding to learn how to make towel animals? There are cooking classes for adults. The Midship Detective Agency is open to all. I believe one of the bars has s stock of board games for anyone to use. Any of the "all ages" activities like dance parties. PP already mention the Open House times, which are scheduled for at least 1 hour per day in each of the various kids' spaces (Club, Lab, Edge, Vibe). I've read reports that some longer cruises (TA, PC) also have adult time in the Club/Lab.

I think there are a lot of options depending on interests.

Enjoy your cruise!

My son is 22, Autistic and delayed. We sailed on the Dream last year and he had a BLAST, even without the kids club. Going to movies, swimming, Aquaduck, snorkling on Castaway... He really wants to go on another. After the first day, we really kinda turned him loose, and he loved the freedom. Most of the time, we found him in the cabin watching Disney movies and ordering room service. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter