DCL Mediterranean - May 2019 BFF Adventures!

GuardMusic

Castaway Club Platinum
Ahoy Mateys! Welcome to our most recent trip report.

Here is the Master Link to this trip report blog!
Meet your Hosts!
The Launch of this Adventure!
Logistics!
Preparations, Port Adventures, & Onboard Activity Plans!
Departure Day - & the nightmare flight!
Embarkation Day!
Day at Sea
Naples (with more photos than the post below due to limit of 35!)
Rome (in two parts below)
Florence
Monaco/Monte Carlo (in two parts below)
Debarkation/Return to USA

I'll also be making an individual post/link to each of the individual posts to this trip report. I welcome comments and questions both here and on the Tumblr site.

Gayle

Last edited:
Meet your Hosts!

Ahoy matey! We are your Trip Blog hosts, Gayle & Kara!

We are both Platinum Castaway Club, reside in Indiana (USA), and work in higher education (at different colleges/universities). This is Kara chiming in, which I’ll do throughout the blog, I’m truly excited to FINALLY become Platinum on this cruise.

Our DCL experiences include the Bahamas, Caribbean (Western & Eastern), California Coast, Mexico, West Coast Repo, and Alaska (only Kara). Our favorite cruises have been when we got “stuck” at Castaway Cay for an extra 24 hrs(!) and the inaugural Pixar cruise with John Lasseter. Kara also loved Alaska which she did with her parents.

If you happen to want to see some our previous Trip Blogs:

There are more - we just haven’t gotten them posted with photos!

Things to know about us before diving into this Trip Blog are that I (Gayle) am the Type A “planner”, while Kara is much more appreciative of the broader experience, more able to appreciate new discovery and finding “joy”! Once the trip gets started, hopefully we will be tag-teaming our narrative of the cruise!

Kara: Gayle’s being really kind. I am a total Type A planner in my work life. I love my Outlook calendar, my to do list, and my notebook where I do my own version of bullet journaling. That said, when I’m traveling, I prefer to try to relax. And, because I’m lucky to have a best friend who also happens to be an exceptional travel agent I am more than happy to leave the details to her when we travel. I am incredibly appreciative of all the work she’s put into this trip.

On that note… Disclaimer: I (Gayle) am a travel agent with Authorized Disney Travel Planner agency.

Next up: The Launch of this Adventure!

The Launch of this Adventure
aka How this trip came about!

First, Our previous Europe travels:
  • Gayle to England in 2000(?) for work
  • Gayle & Kara on independent trip to Paris & London (2009)
  • Gayle to Rome/London/Paris to lead study abroad (2011)
  • Gayle to Rome/London to lead study abroad (2017)
It was the first week of March 2018, when the Summer 2019 DCL cruises were announced. I was at an out-of-state conference and didn’t have time to truly look through the options. So I sent the announcement to Kara, telling her to pick something if she saw something interesting. (If she did, we obviously wanted to take advantage of assigning our placeholder during the Platinum booking window!)
Sidenote: We plan our trips years out, both for savings, but also for Kara’s more demanding work schedule. Some years are “big trips”, some years are “smaller trips.” 2019 hadn’t really been classified big or small, but I was definitely thinking small, knowing what other big trips were coming in the future.

Kara’s version of this side note:
We do plan years in advance and those plans change a hundred times - as good plans do. But, yes, this probably should have been a small trip year - but oh, it so isn’t a small trip.
So I nearly fell over when Kara responded with, “The British Isles looks interesting.” Excuse me, what?!Not having time to dig into this at my conference, I made the call to book, but felt very unsettled about.
Fast-forward to the end of March 2018 (aka my birthday), when I inquired why she chose this one. Her response was, “I want to see more of the world.” Ok!
Due primarily to leading study abroad programs, I’ve had more opportunity to travel abroad than Kara. Her response led me to understand she wasn’t specific to the British Isle option.

Kara: I do still think the British Isles sounds interesting - but the cruise ports really didn’t excite me as the way to see the British Isles. (Gayle concurs!)

So we spent the weekend surrounded by 2 laptops and roughly a dozen brochures including European land tours, river cruises, Adventures by Disney, DCL, and more.

Long story short(er), we obviously settled on the DCL Med option, based on:
  • Kara seeing many places in Europe, primarily Italy, which is on her Bucket List
  • Having the ship transport us and our things (to avoid frequent packing and transferring via bus or train around the country)
  • Having a familiar and comfortable base each day (especially regarding dinner & bed) while touring new and unfamiliar places
  • Keeping some “American” comforts (I’ve learned over time I’m not a good international traveler!)
  • So other than my experiences in Rome (& our times on the Magic), this would all be a new adventure for us!
Among the Med option we chose the 7 night RT to/from Barcelona. Why?
  • We knew we needed at least 7 nights (so the 6 night option was out).
  • We knew having the start/end at the same port should result in more cost effective airfare.
  • The longer options, while we’d love to travel/be on DCL more days, I hadn’t prepared for 2019 to be a “big trip” year!

Kara’s one additional note here: If Gayle didn’t have this belief that river cruises are for people much older than us, I would have tried to hold out for the river cruise. I’m stating publicly it’s still on my bucket list.

We also realized it will have been:
  • 10 years since we were in Europe together
  • Nearly 5 years since we did a 7 night cruise (How is that possible?!)
And… the last time we were on the Magic was the historic “Shipwrecked” adventure! So we are definitely preparing for another “adventure”!

Disclaimer: I (Gayle) am a travel agent with Authorized Disney Travel Planner agency.
Next up: Logistics!

Logistics
Cruise booking, insurance, & air - oh my!

On March 31, 2018 we were booked the the May 25 - June1, 2019 DCL Mediterranean (RT Barcelona) in a Cat 7A (Deluxe Oceanview with Navigator Verandah) with Second dinner seating.

By April 2, 2018 I’d upgraded us to a 6A stateroom (Deluxe Oceanview with Verandah), as it was “only” $126 more. After Kara experienced her first Navigator Verandah just a few months later, we wanted to switch back. However, by this point it was roughly $500 to DOWNGRADE the stateroom! Thus we kept what we now had.

Soon I also switched us to Main dinner seating. This would be a first for us, and a sacrifice Kara was involuntarily making for me. My stance was with so many early and intense port days, if I’m not interested in the evening entertainment, I need to be in bed! (FYI I’m NOT a morning person - but Kara is. I’m already sad about having to go to bed early for the Port Adventures….)

We also almost immediately added the trip insurance. This was to ensure we’d be covered for the pre-existing conditions - but not for us. Both my mother and Kara’s parents are elderly with medical issues, so this was a definite component.

This is Kara reading through this just a few days before we leave and happy to realize we do have trip insurance. You see, this is how much I leave the details to Gayle. (*Gayle shakes head* Especially since I just printed both of our trip insurance documents….)

The cost of the cruise wasn’t really different than the Caribbean. However, having co-led a study abroad just the summer prior, I knew it would be the airfare that killed us.

Sidenote: When Kara & I flew to Europe we committed to NOT being in Economy if we did it again! On the year’s prior study abroad I upgrades to business for the outbound as 1) remember I’m not a good international traveler, specifically long-haul eastbound flights and 2) I had re-injured by back to the point I had to pay a student to be my personal luggage porter!

Kara’s Sidenote: I travel a decent amount for work - averaging a couple of domestic flights a month. That said, I’m an anxious traveler up until the point I get on the airplane and then once again once I step off the airplane until I’m at my hotel. Plus with not wanting to fly economy I’m interested to see if this is even remotely worth the price.

So being the researcher, I spent Summer 2018 researching business outbound/economy return flight options. We both have most of our “Big 3” miles on United, and thought we could use them for upgrades. We soon learned that we didn’t know enough about using said miles and the United option was coming in nearly $1000 higher than another option. So not wanting to lose virtually the only option in my budget, on July 20, 2018 we booked the air - on American. (Keep in mind neither of us have any miles on American, so this was another sacrifice!)

This is Kara. Gayle did INTENSE research on these flights. She probably knows the serial number of the wings of the plane we’re actually going to be on. I was sitting on the pontoon boat my family rented for vacation in July 2018 while everyone was up at the vacation house when Gayle called to tell me we were buying air that night. Technically, I didn’t need to be involved because I know she’s made the best choice but she still shared the experience with me.

We knew we probably wanted to upgrade the return to American’s “Main Cabin Extra” (MCE) for more legroom. Yes, we’ve become a bit of flying snobs - mostly Kara who travels a lot for her work. I was finally ready to turn over even more $ for MCE by December 2018. When I looked on the app MCE was $98 for both legs of our return. Being a “Questioner”, I called American “just to inquire” what Premium Economy (PE) would be. $200 - and it came with additional benefits like only a 2 seat row and better meal. Who needs $ anyway, right? Plus PE only has 6 rows with the 2 seat configuration. (Did I mention I’m a strong Introvert and so is Kara - to a far lesser extent.) So another hit to the credit card & budget….

We were scheduled for an 11am flight out of IND (Indy) with a 6 hour layover in PHL (Philadelphia). Two things from this:
  1. Having flown business previously, I really wanted to take advantage of a great airport lounge. (The United Polaris lounges are pretty amazing.) For where we were going, American’s best option was the Flagship Lounge in Miami. However, that flight was even more expensive, so that was a sacrifice on my part.
  2. We’d begun planning how we’d spend those 6 hrs, but by Feb. 2019 American had changed our flight. We were now leaving IND at 3:30pm for only a 90 minute layover in PHL, with our same flight/arrival time into Barcelona (BCN)! Hooray!

Disclaimer: I (Gayle) am a travel agent with Authorized Disney Travel Planner agency.
Next up: Planning Port Adventures!

Planning Port Adventures & Onboard Activities
Taking advantage of that Platinum status!

FYI in addition to the DCL website, we found “Rick Steve Mediterranean Cruise Ports Guidebook” and the Disney Cruise Line Blog Podcast’s Review of the 2018 DCL Med Cruise (Part 1 & Part 2) to be highly valuable.
Having never taken a European Disney Cruise, I had no real concept of how many Platinum cruisers might be sailing and thus, how competitive it might be to book our preferred Port Adventures. So being the risk-averse person that I am, I made sure to log on at midnight (even though I had to be at work at 8am). This time, luckily, it was effortless!

Our plans for this trip were:
Barcelona Planning
Hotel

For our one night stay, we took advantage of Kara’s Marriott Free Night Certificate. (Without this, we would have been very tempted to stay at the W, Renaissance, or Eurostars Grand Marina.) There were plenty of options, just none really close to the port. Ultimately the AC Hotel by Marriott Diagonal L’Illa was primarily my choice based on reviews, a higher potential to have two separate beds, and nearby a central shopping area. The shopping area was a factor as one of my great frustrations of international travel is the potential time and challenge of finding acceptable dining options, especially when I struggle with the native language. And of course, #DisneyStore! Finally, as we know we will be jet-lagged and already prefer quiet, calmer environments, we were additionally happy to avoid the popular Las Ramblas area.

Kara: With all the planning Gayle has done for us, the tiniest thing I could do is use a free night certificate for this hotel. In total it is costing us 2.42 EUR!

Tour
We were slated to arrive at BCN at 9am. Thus, to work to adapt to the time change and presuming our hotel room wouldn’t be ready that early, we needed to decide how we’d spend our few hours in Barcelona. After considerable research, we determined we really weren’t interested in the normal tourist sites of the city (including La Sagrada Familia, blasphemy, I know)! Kara voicing no preferences, I pitched my now go-to in any new city - a food/chocolate tour! (On the last study abroad, I had a chocolate tour booked in Rome that ultimately didn’t come together. However, the one I did in London was phenomenal and can’t wait to do it again!)

Most options started at 10am, so all of those were out. Quite happily we booked the Old Town Chocolate Tour from Barcelona Chocolate Tours. We selected the noon departure for this light two-hour experience for 59 Euro pp; it is gratefully limited to a maximum of 13 people. (We’re only slightly worried about making the meeting time!) The tour was described as:

Visit the chocolate museum of Barcelona and learn about how chocolate is fabricated today, a long process where starts from a cocoa tree. Discover the chocolate tradition in Barcelona by visiting the old town and the three most famous shops boasting the best chocolate in Barcelona along with a glass of champagne, coffee or tea, according to the group’s request. Meeting point at the Museum of chocolate .

Kara: After reading Dan Brown’s “Origin”, I am intrigued by La Sagrada Familia and many other sites in Barcelona. That said, given we have only a few hours in the city and knowing we’ll be exhausted, I think the chocolate tour will be a much better use of our jet lagged time to both see a bit about the city and to enjoy some sweets.

Sunday, May 26, 2019 - Day at Sea
Tonight, since we will have time to get ready and it’s Formal Night, we are dining at our beloved Palo. We really appreciate having this as a Platinum benefit. While we tried the Brunch once, we are the dinner lovers, especially the pappardelle and Chocolate Souffle (for me). I have a saying, the best desserts are souffle, brulee, and flambe!
As for the Port Adventures, this cruise will be a genuine “adventure” for us. Typically we cruise as an unplugged, relaxing vacation from our jobs. Not this time! Nope! If we’re flying all the way to Europe, we’re going to make the most of our location. So here is a chronological order of our Port Adventures and a little reasoning for them. (I like to include Disney’s official description so I can compare it to my actual experience later in the blog and to serve as a resource to future DCL Med cruisers!)

FYI we are doing only DCL Port Adventures. Why? Because unlike every other area of our lives, Kara is more risk-averse… to missing the ship! Doing some research, she’s not wrong. The majority of what we are doing, how long it will take, and where we are going is nowhere close to the ports. Additionally, the last time I was in Rome, we experienced a public transit strike! Also, we’re not really interested in taking a train to the next port and sleeping in a train station!

Kara: And, YES! I have no desire to watch the cruise ship sail away without me on it in a country where I don’t speak the language at all.

Monday, May 27, 2019 - Naples
Amalfi by Boat & the Splendor of Sorrento (NP41) - Gayle only
For awhile I was booked on Kara’s (below). However, the more and more I read, I just knew I had no interest in spending 90 minutes of my trip at Pompeii. I tinkered with Capri for a bit, but it just didn’t seem interesting enough, especially since I had only minimal interest in the Blue Grotto. I had wanted to take a tour of the Amalfi Coast during the last study abroad, but it wasn’t offered on one of our free days. Now I’m hoping for relatively calm seas to not overrun my Bonine and because high seas mean most of this gets cancelled and replaced by a tour of Naples. Fingers crossed!
9.5 Hours to 10 Hours - $175 (age 10 and up)
The Amazing Amalfi
Drop anchor and have lunch in the seaside town of Sorrento—then take a guided tour through the cobblestoned streets.
On this adventure you will…
  • Take an approximately 75-minute drive to Sorrento.
  • Upon arrival at Sorrento, enjoy an optional guided walking tour of the historical center or have approximately 45 minutes of free time to explore the Corso Italia neighborhood, a flower-lined main thoroughfare. Or choose to visit the Correale Museum, where you can admire antique furniture, porcelain and Neapolitan paintings.
  • Savor an authentic Italian lunch included in this tour.“
  • Re-board your motorcoach for a 75-minute drive, passing Mt. Vesuvius to Salerno.
  • Board a private motor launch, and enjoy spectacular views during a 45-minute cruise along the stunning Amalfi Coast. Note: This ride can be bumpy. Guests who suffer from motion sickness are advised to take precautions.
  • Arrive in the town of Amalfi and embark on a guided walking tour of the historical sites of this charming "white village.”
  • Enjoy 1 hour of free time to sightsee independently or shop for souvenirs.
  • Reboard the motor launch for the cruise back to Salerno. There, board the motorcoach for the return drive to Naples.
  • Make a 30 minute stop at a local cameo factory during your transfer back to Naples and the pier.
Timeless Pompeii and the Flavor of Sorrento (NP06) - Kara only
(I’m writing this for Kara since we’re not currently in the same location.) This one is simple: CHEESE!

Kara: Here’s my additional commentary. First, I’m shocked Gayle and I decided to do separate things on one day of this trip - that’s very unnatural for us. As to why I chose this one, I am trying to fit a LOT into this trip so I can get an idea of what I love about Italy and what I might not be all that interested in spending more time with on a future trip. I’m not particularly excited about Pompeii, but I feel like it’s a must do in Italy. We won’t do Pisa or Venice on this trip so in the vein of fitting in as much as possible, Pompeii stayed in the list.

8.5 Hours to 9 Hours - $155 (age 10 and up)
Seaside Charms and Ancient Ruins
Sample Sorrento’s farm fresh fare and walk the ruins of the city buried in the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius.
  • Drive about 75 minutes, passing Mt. Vesuvius, to the seaside town of Sorrento.
  • Arrive at a local farmhouse and learn the process of producing mozzarella cheese and enjoy a sample of their products, such as fresh mozzarella and salami.
  • Return to Sorrento’s main center and take an optional guided walking tour of the historical center.
  • Enjoy 60 minutes of free time to explore Corso Italia, the flower-lined main thoroughfare of the town, and the Correale Museum, home to antique furniture, porcelains and Neapolitan paintings.
  • You’ll have 90 minutes for lunch (not included).
  • Drive about an hour to the famed ancient city of Pompeii, buried by volcanic ash from Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD. Upon arrival to Pompeii, walk to the entrance gate, approximately 15-minutes where your tour begins.
  • Embark on a 90-minute guided walking tour of the ruins of this buried city.
  • Make a 30 minute stop at a local cameo factory before the transfer back to Naples.
  • Drive 30 minutes back to Naples.
Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - Rome
Vatican Behind the Scenes and Panoramic Drive (CV105)
Having been to Rome twice (& kinda being over it at this point, except for the gelato), I told Kara to pick whatever she wanted. We soon figured out we’d have to choose a little of everything or a lot of one thing. So she decided to do a deep-dive at the Vatican, especially with some of the more behind the scenes & access features. (Plus, now it looks like we might be back here next year for another study abroad….)

Kara: I’ve ALWAYS wanted to visit Rome. I am so excited about visiting the Vatican. The papacy intrigues me and the art and history associated with this state is intense. I would love to see more of Rome, but with only one day I thought it would be best to use our dollars to get the absolute best possible tour of the Vatican we could.

10 Hours to 10.5 Hours - $259 (age 10 and up)
Experience Masterpieces That Inspire
Immerse yourself in the works of Michelangelo―from the Sistine Chapel to St. Peter’s Basilica.
  • Take a 90-minute drive from Civitavecchia to Rome, where you’ll join an exclusive walking tour inside Vatican City.
  • Discover the smallest state in the world with a 3-hour guided tour of the Vatican Gardens, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter Basilica.
  • Enjoy a unique walk behind the scenes of the Vatican. See the exterior of Pope Emerito House, the Vatican Radio Station, the Academy of Science, the Pope’s former Summer Residence, the Vatican government Palace, a piece of the original Berlin Wall and the Fontana dell’Aquilone, a lovely fountain with water games.
  • Look at St. Peter’s Basilica from behind and admire the Cupola from a very singular prospective. Take photos in the Vatican Gardens and discover one of the most prestigious museums in the world.
  • Visit the Gallery of Maps, the Gallery of Tapestries, Candelabras and the Chapel of Pio V before entering the Sistine Chapel to admire one of the greatest masterpieces in the world.
  • Experience Michelangelo’s frescos, magnificent works that changed the course of arts forever.
  • Be escorted through a special access to St. Peter’s Basilica, which will allow you to avoid long lines. Discover the largest church in the world and stroll through its aisles while admiring Michelangelo’s “Pieta” and the beautifully carved Bernini Pulpit.
  • Enjoy 90 minutes of free time at St. Peter’s Square to have lunch, explore on your own or shop for souvenirs.
  • Re-board the motorcoach and Take a panoramic drive past some of Rome’s highlights such as Circus Maximus, Palatine Hill and Colosseum.
Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - Florence
Cooking lesson at Castello del Trebbio (LV95)
THIS is the one we are most excited about! I’m eager to experience the Italian countryside, as I’m not really a city mouse. Also, after we did a glassblowing PA on the West Coast Repo, we know that hands-on “experiences” are more valuable and satisfying to us. Additionally, anything that involves food is right up our alley. Kara can really cook; I cannot. So this should be highly entertaining for all involved!

Kara: I get to cook fresh pasta in a castle!

7 Hours to 7.5 Hours - $315 (age 21 and up)
An Authentic Italian Experience
Take a cooking lesson at a wonderful medieval castle located in the Tuscan countryside.
  • Embark on a scenic 1-hour and 45-minute drive to Castello del Trebbio located in close proximity to Florence.
  • Arrive at a true Tuscan medieval castle with a fully equipped, modern kitchen perched atop a hill with a spectacular view of the surrounding countryside.
  • The castle was built by the Pazzi family, an old Florentine nobility that rivaled the prominent Medici clan. Today, Castello del Trebbio is an artisanal producer of olive oil and wine, as well as a destination for special events. It is owned and run by the Bai Mario family of winemakers.
  • Explore parts of this beautiful old castle and the cellars with your guide.
  • Learn how to prepare pasta dough and tomato sauce using fresh and local ingredients from the resident chef.
  • Enjoy hors d’oeuvre and the meal you helped to prepare accompanied by wine.
  • Return after lunch to the motorcoach for the drive back to your ship in Livorno.
Part of the Culinary Adventures series - Celebrate the stories, cultures and flavors of the places you’ll visit with cooking classes, wine and dessert programs, and epicurean adventures that include a dash of something extra.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 - Monte Carlo
Monaco, The Marina and The Little Train (V01)
We really struggled to choose a PA in this port. There were components of all of them we weren’t interested in. The main reasons we chose this one are 1) that’s it’s a half-day (vs our three previous full days) and 2) we enjoyed a similar “little train tour” on a PA in Key West. If the seas are such that we have to dock elsewhere, which I’ve read has happened previously, we won’t be sad to miss this. (Actually, I would only be sad to miss the Grand Prix circuit, only because of that epic scene in “Iron Man 2”. But I can’t talk about it, because I’m still traumatized by “Avengers: Endgame”….)
4.5 Hours to 5 Hours - $108 (age 10 and up)
Tour the Town
Afterward, enjoy some free time to explore Hercule Harbor on your own.
  • Take an approximately 45-minute drive along the scenic Corniche to Monaco.
  • Ride an escalator and elevator up the cliff and enjoy an approximately 45-minute guided walking tour that includes external visits of the Oceanographic Museum, the Prince’s Palace (which has been the home of the royal family since the 13th century), and an internal visit of the Monaco Cathedral. Note: This tour includes approximately one mile of walking at a leisurely pace, part of which will be on cobblestones and/or uphill. Wear comfortable shoes. Note: Guests—including children—wishing to enter the cathedral must ensure that shoulders and knees remain covered. You can wear shorts that reach below the knee and tank tops as long as you bring a sweater or scarf to wrap around your shoulders. An inside visit may not be possible due to official ceremonies, weddings or funerals.
  • Next, board a little open-air tourist “train” for a 30-minute tour through Monte Carlo, and ride along the harbor and Grand Casino as well as on part of the Formula 1 Grand Prix circuit.
  • Reboard your coach for a 15-minute drive to the harbor to enjoy a refreshing beverage and approximately one hour of free time to explore on your own.
  • Drive back to Villefranche along the Middle Corniche.
Next up: Departure! (Day -1)

Departure Day -Thursday, May 23, 2019

With my 16 year old cat, Kealy, having gotten sick many times throughout the day prior (even though she was already on antibiotics), I had another night of lacking sleep due to worry.

I went to sleep around 11:30pm, couldn’t get to sleep, took something at 12:30am, and set my alarm for 6am - in case I needed to see the vet at 7am. Of course I awoke on my own promptly at 5:30am. Miraculously all seemed fine with Kealy (after checking the recordings on my Blink camera from overnight). So I set a new alarm for 7:15am.

I was slow to get up & get in the shower since I didn’t need to leave until 10:30am. So I cleaned up the living room & kitchen, did the final prep & pack of the backpack.

ETPqAPb0MYGyMFu_lJUgitNYMkhHNHOk_RzVbuT9jPCUSpHKQQGpHlB7dwSVY3VkIX-t-0g2LuEtbFWxXsNtRbPTedZC3yHDVojU55o5yr9ja3d0hSKowamlSZO6EIXG3VuhnmGa

I also made a couple of last minute swaps due to the (sad) decline in forecasted temps.

tJzctjKLrmvEnrPBk-6SvIoUCTkvB6KnKl8eIauQcLioD6Hl_TnFSJwFoghA_r9NwucMiQ3BnAHKNrXujLmms7VnIC7YSK_6or2yv888JZzt-nNLB16Pevf90HgNj9jEywn3fT6Q

Grabbed some snuggles in my recliner with the kitty (watching the Rapunzel animated series to get in the mood), & pulled out by 10:35am. I stopped at a grocery near Kara’s to grab last minute gas, Wheat Thins, & caffeine pills in Indy.

Our themed-luggage tags. We tend to make these for “big” trips!

ix7XHKd-o9KsjcgB4Ejct7ZNUdVtFsTBnhIC-ukc4Gzjc1NTVrB1trvYopw6dGpvEWPuQQt4afeTpTpe76l0JpAAx0uDdTCmQRn-ikZigVBp7CT1LmGvJLO4jNY_XrEchPevZ7mo

This is Kara. I slept well, as I often do, and having finished nearly all packing the night before had a quiet, easy morning. I had even finished emptying my work inbox the night before so other than a few last small to do items, I got to just tidy up around the house, say goodbye to my plants and wait for Gayle.

We left by 12:05pm for lunch at Panera. Our flight was scheduled for 3:30pm.

5KGytiV3HWXzR4PsplV4Au_pKTcxrps65LM62mJYzDd__aK35dyTW3tBxMmszHecxDEfYlZU5P9fYuH-enBWG7sQ9ppzt7K5tTTnOLgeOV_ceFU7xyHBrl2ejEdKvGA_aUala0ed
gOOa1kHuACkQjUZR6lCyx9ikmf91FPYNn5cWtjXxhCYckS7G7IC_S5HfNfAc-9JICA0PDS5AF0rVSgApHRLcHglY7QEdL-0I-wBrM5r-uKBdIxv1qtfLcySKbRMYcvJkW6uSOXVo

First it was delayed about ten minutes. Then delayed more. Then the news came: Ground Stop. Due to East Coast storms impacting Philadelphia, everything was stopped from even heading in that direction.

IsHmbfpDSor-SxSqNfYPJl-ubNn8zA4JFzV3JqDMUTxvAMJGRC7WW_ZtZw8Ijd74ntfvTBq0CTvgRmWXpkAlvOtyb-4iQwJL4KrLvLq42oaAQQUJ90nwLjuqUQBeLpJ3uV9uazHl

We started talking about rebooking, as it seemed we’d miss our connection in PHL. However, the plane started boarding and figured we’d deal with it at PHL - at least we’d be closer to Barcelona and at an American Airlines hub.

b8TWAzZ0Y73mcZOSxiYw-pQtk8ukfQHEcH38f66f5Yh61Lz8dIECMGKazAjniniji3JuUx7aKT92j4G9jUI0o4ueczr55o58SlWINu0O_2Rvm8vQRbQukL0E-t2avBDGYxIhitT6

I ended up sobbing all the way to PHL.

Huge Sidenote: Most people, including myself, would read all this and figure, “What’s the big deal? So you take a different flight? Maybe your luggage is late?” For me, this was 14 months of planning falling apart and we hadn’t even left our home airport yet. It was hours of work and planning for this flight, to find an option that would allow me to sleep (as I’m a terrible international/eastbound flier) and in a budget I could afford.

That’s right folks, I mention that almighty dollar, as for some a trip like this can be a stretch. I have a great professional job, but I also chose a profession and position that can be lacking financial rewards. A “big trip” like this is something I need to plan years in advance, which I didn’t have this time, and wasn’t strong enough to tell Kara no. And putting it off just one year woudn’t work since I have to lead a study abroad next May. So this had been a YEAR of scrimping and saving, living somewhat like a “poor college student”, only to completely lose our business class seats. (Yes, I realize as I type this many are rolling their eyes, but in this moment my reality was crushed.)

We landed at PHL at 7:12pm; our connecting flight left at 7:10pm! We were sent to stand in line at a nearby customer service gate, while having learned from the past, I simultaneously called AA. I put in for a call-back as we waited in the line. The Customer Service desk tells us since we’re international, we have to “go over there” to get help - from C31 to A17!

During the trek I didn't hear or feel my phone go off - twice! - of AA calling me back. We initially couldn’t find the international help desk tucked in a set-back cove past A17, but finally got ourselves into that line. I finally noticed the 3rd call-back attempt and after many minutes was told there were ZERO options for anything arriving before… SUNDAY! (Our cruise was leaving Saturday!) Another meltdown, now from anger, had set-in. The phone agent told us to stay in the line we were standing in, that the in-person agent might have more options. What? How?

Finally at the front of the line at 8:30pm we were offered two Economy (not our booked business) seats leaving in 30 minutes to…Paris with a 5 hour layover to Barcelona (BCN). (Trying to rebook us was so challenging, this flight would be via Air France, which is the SkyTeam-Delta, not OneWorld-American network.) It’s a testament to how desperate we were that we jumped at that option, with virtually no questions asked.

When we arrived at the gate to get our seats, they were already boarding! To get any seats together, we were in the very last row- 35 G&H (which gave me deja vu for the very first time I went to Europe). I was able to shoot off a quick email to Barcelona Chocolate Tours, letting them know we couldn’t make our noon tour, as we wouldn’t be landing until nearly 6pm and respectfully requested a refund. We had a suitable Economy dinner and took ALL the drugs we packed to try to get even a little sleep. I think I maybe slept through 2.5-2.75 Harry Potter 1 movies.

yCRYn6_uvRfR5L7eJjjoSD5vMhvKjWcVb2DJSsxdtZ3_RBN_HYbHAC7HsVm_MoC841RG0bvOtwlDuvmLq13w4qLGSS08VVUhLjGBRv7IdDZfVLQ74Lqc4i00-SqgqS4YnY7DC_FT

This is Kara. Gayle did a good job recapping this crazy set of events. I’ll add in here that we posted a photo to Facebook to commemorate the crazy turn of events as a last notification to our friends and family of what our status was. This specific photo is very important later in the story.

Breakfast on the plane was yogurt & figs - gross. So I had my packed protein bar. Deplaning we certainly asked for help knowing where to go next. As we suspected, there was no luggage when we got to Paris (CDG). Went to Baggage Service and was told to wait until we got to BCN to put in a luggage inquiry. What?! This makes no sense, especially for how long all this might take. Kara called AA and was again told to wait until BCN.

The small bit of “raging idealist” in me thought our luggage should be waiting for us in BCN. That AA knew we were going to BCN via our original ticket and the Air France ticket showed the same. So throw them on whatever the next BCN flight is. Period.

After enduring the long layover at CDG (in a new beautiful Air France, but packed terminal), I put my headphones on to BCN because 1) Chatty Kathy was next to me, 2) Kara and I were 2 rows apart, 3) the aisle dude commandeered the armrest, and 4) Kara & I were both in middle seats.

Arrive at BCN - no luggage. We wait in line at the American luggage desk only to be told to go to the next bay to stand in line for Air France, as apparently it’s the final airlines responsibility to deal with the luggage. So yes, there I am again having a meltdown. Why? We’re told to put in an incident report, which requested our entire cruise port itinerary and that our bags haven’t left PHL! At this time I also got email offering us a chocolate tour for Sunday, but at this late time no refund would be given. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Meltdown Sidenote: Again, many might question the freak out. Here was a much bigger issue. They were now giving us indication they had no idea when or if we might get our bags and we were about to embark on a 7 night cruise with nothing but the literal clothes on our back and whatever snacks & tech we had in our small carry-ons! We knew our same PHL-BCN flight was leaving that night at 7:10pm with an arrival at 9am Saturday morning and basically begged to get our bags on that flight! As it was currently only about noon PHL time, we knew they had plenty of time, but all we were told was they would put in the inquiry (via tele-text?!) and PHL would have to act on it in time. If our bags didn’t arrive on that flight, we’d have only a couple of hours to try to go to unfamiliar stores and buy everything we’d need for PJs, toiletries, dinner clothes, port adventures clothes, and much more.

Before leaving BCN we somehow had the wherewithal to request the luggage be held at BCN if it arrived, as we didn’t trust and couldn’t take a risk of passing it or a delay in delivery to the hotel &/or ship. We’d determined no matter what we’d return to the airport seeking our luggage Saturday morning, as it was the only real strategy we could take control of.

We finally got to our hotel, AC Hotel Marriott Diagonal D’Illa, around 7:30-8pm and just like in all telling TV shows & films - yes, it was raining. It was fatefully connected to a mall. We ended up with basic chicken sandwiches (and by this I mean crustless white bread with shredded chicken) and water for dinner. I did pick up a piece of chocolate cake, more out of habit than want.

KE1DYPcQU1FgN4EcxRliLpUT_b8bt_Dk1UNeu2zwP0EUrXR-PeKE4ht1eiOZZiiT4fxtPtYe4COV0xcuxFw8XLEi6BPAG-4T3p3GKtQq2BsqQ4HAFlKRnQ030pT2ahJecl_Qv_M7

That I couldn’t even bring myself to visit the Disney Store tells you how despondent I was.

Our hotel room was like a “camp version” of a hotel room - just the bare basics. We showered (using every amenity kit we could from the hotel), put our same clothes back on, and borrowed electrical adapters to charge our phones.

By absolute fate we had initially posted a photo of ourselves with our boarding passes on Facebook. I thought I’d covered our confirmation number, but apparently not. Via the “Monroe Family Network” (Kara’s family), her Aunt Idris sent our confirmation number to a distant cousin who happens to work for… American Airlines Customer Service! Through Idris we were told Cousin Kimberley spoke with a supervisor at PHL who had located our bags and would “do their best” to put them on our requested evening flight to arrive at 9am Saturday morning. Another follow-up re-affirmed.

Friday night we also logged onto the Air France baggage site as instructed. The only thing it showed was “luggage found - awaiting confirmation”. At some point I decided trying to apply my social media knowledge (as I’m also a known blogger for a popular TV series). I sent the AA Twitter account a Direct Message with our confirmation number begging them to put our bags on the PHL-BCN 7:10pm-9am flight. Around 10:30pm we got a positive response that yes this would happen!

e1c9zd7CT8LwzS2mKvfolMImbu0NUbmKyM5SgZozDlJu4Gn5cU6wsEEp5XNaiQsGyJVSyubCGRNYJNQJWg2pcqMo8QtKTEWChkJvuomQnpOzfLEoiMoPgUE-qLJBoEh61aS4tc1G

Between this & Kara’s cousin’s messages, there were more hesitant and slight tears (of relief?), as we feared getting our hopes up.

Continuing to pile on, there was loud party music raging outside our room from somewhere we couldn’t see. So Kara looked for some brainless TV. With my experience in Europe I assured her if she looked long enough she’s probably find NCIS &/or Big Bang Theory. Sure enough Gibbs & the team gave us a slight calm in the midst of our storm. We tried to go to sleep by 11pm (which was only 5pm back home).

I woke up just past 2am. On the AA app it showed our confirmation number to check-in for our PHL-BCN flight - yay! But for a Saturday departure/Sunday arrival - NO! I figured this was our bags and was again defeated. I freaked-out internally while Kara slept. But the AA website showed our bags were loaded onto the requested flight at 3:20pm? Huh? So I took more drugs to get back to sleep.

This is Kara. There isn’t much I can add to this day other than a little more about my, as my niece Ashley said in a Facebook post commenting later on in the week, “creepy” family. Yes, sometimes we are remarkably creepy in how we keep up with each other. But, when push comes to shove, having a team of people in your immediate circle who are always in your corner is reassuring. I’d been checking in with them each time we got a network connection and giving them updates. I got to “meet” my cousin’s wife Kimberley for the first time through this situation and look forward to meeting her in person someday. The family was also watching my Google Location icon pop up all over the world all through the trip. It truly is a good thing to know you’ve got people and they’ve got you too.

Disclaimer: Gayle is a travel agent with Authorized Disney Travel Planner agency.

Next up: Embarkation Day! Would the luggage actually arrive?

Last edited:
Departure Day (& the nightmare flight) -Thursday, May 23, 2019

With my 16 year old cat, Kealy, having gotten sick many times throughout the day prior (even though she was already on antibiotics), I had another night of lacking sleep due to worry.

I went to sleep around 11:30pm, couldn’t get to sleep, took something at 12:30am, and set my alarm for 6am - in case I needed to see the vet at 7am. Of course I awoke on my own promptly at 5:30am. Miraculously all seemed fine with Kealy (after checking the recordings on my Blink camera from overnight). So I set a new alarm for 7:15am.

I was slow to get up & get in the shower since I didn’t need to leave until 10:30am. So I cleaned up the living room & kitchen, did the final prep & pack of the backpack.

I also made a couple of last minute swaps due to the (sad) decline in forecasted temps.

Grabbed some snuggles in my recliner with the kitty (watching the Rapunzel animated series to get in the mood), & pulled out by 10:35am. I stopped at a grocery near Kara’s to grab last minute gas, Wheat Thins, & caffeine pills in Indy.

Our themed-luggage tags. We tend to make these for “big” trips!

This is Kara. I slept well, as I often do, and having finished nearly all packing the night before had a quiet, easy morning. I had even finished emptying my work inbox the night before so other than a few last small to do items, I got to just tidy up around the house, say goodbye to my plants and wait for Gayle.

We left by 12:05pm for lunch at Panera. Our flight was scheduled for 3:30pm.

First it was delayed about ten minutes. Then delayed more. Then the news came: Ground Stop. Due to East Coast storms impacting Philadelphia, everything was stopped from even heading in that direction.

We started talking about rebooking, as it seemed we’d miss our connection in PHL. However, the plane started boarding and figured we’d deal with it at PHL - at least we’d be closer to Barcelona and at an American Airlines hub.

I ended up sobbing all the way to PHL.

Huge Sidenote: Most people, including myself, would read all this and figure, “What’s the big deal? So you take a different flight? Maybe your luggage is late?” For me, this was 14 months of planning falling apart and we hadn’t even left our home airport yet. It was hours of work and planning for this flight, to find an option that would allow me to sleep (as I’m a terrible international/eastbound flier) and in a budget I could afford.

That’s right folks, I mention that almighty dollar, as for some a trip like this can be a stretch. I have a great professional job, but I also chose a profession and position that can be lacking financial rewards. A “big trip” like this is something I need to plan years in advance, which I didn’t have this time, and wasn’t strong enough to tell Kara no. And putting it off just one year woudn’t work since I have to lead a study abroad next May. So this had been a YEAR of scrimping and saving, living somewhat like a “poor college student”, only to completely lose our business class seats. (Yes, I realize as I type this many are rolling their eyes, but in this moment my reality was crushed.)

We landed at PHL at 7:12pm; our connecting flight left at 7:10pm! We were sent to stand in line at a nearby customer service gate, while having learned from the past, I simultaneously called AA. I put in for a call-back as we waited in the line. The Customer Service desk tells us since we’re international, we have to “go over there” to get help - from C31 to A17!

During the trek I didn’t hear or feel my phone go off - twice! - of AA calling me back. We initially couldn’t find the international help desk tucked in a set-back cove past A17, but finally got ourselves into that line. I finally noticed the 3rd call-back attempt and after many minutes was told there were ZERO options for anything arriving before… SUNDAY! (Our cruise was leaving Saturday!) Another meltdown, now from anger, had set-in. The phone agent told us to stay in the line we were standing in, that the in-person agent might have more options. What? How?

Finally at the front of the line at 8:30pm we were offered two Economy (not our booked business) seats leaving in 30 minutes to…Paris with a 5 hour layover to Barcelona (BCN). (Trying to rebook us was so challenging, this flight would be via Air France, which is the SkyTeam-Delta, not OneWorld-American network.) It’s a testament to how desperate we were that we jumped at that option, with virtually no questions asked.

When we arrived at the gate to get our seats, they were already boarding! To get any seats together, we were in the very last row- 35 G&H (which gave me deja vu for the very first time I went to Europe). I was able to shoot off a quick email to Barcelona Chocolate Tours, letting them know we couldn’t make our noon tour, as we wouldn’t be landing until nearly 6pm and respectfully requested a refund. We had a suitable Economy dinner and took ALL the drugs we packed to try to get even a little sleep. I think I maybe slept through 2.5-2.75 Harry Potter 1 movies.

This is Kara. Gayle did a good job recapping this crazy set of events. I’ll add in here that we posted a photo to Facebook to commemorate the crazy turn of events as a last notification to our friends and family of what our status was. This specific photo is very important later in the story.

Breakfast on the plane was yogurt & figs - gross. So I had my packed protein bar. Deplaning we certainly asked for help knowing where to go next. As we suspected, there was no luggage when we got to Paris (CDG). Went to Baggage Service and was told to wait until we got to BCN to put in a luggage inquiry. What?! This makes no sense, especially for how long all this might take. Kara called AA and was again told to wait until BCN.

The small bit of “raging idealist” in me thought our luggage should be waiting for us in BCN. That AA knew we were going to BCN via our original ticket and the Air France ticket showed the same. So throw them on whatever the next BCN flight is. Period.

After enduring the long layover at CDG (in a new beautiful Air France, but packed terminal), I put my headphones on to BCN because 1) Chatty Kathy was next to me, 2) Kara and I were 2 rows apart, 3) the aisle dude commandeered the armrest, and 4) Kara & I were both in middle seats.

Arrive at BCN - no luggage. We wait in line at the American luggage desk only to be told to go to the next bay to stand in line for Air France, as apparently it’s the final airlines responsibility to deal with the luggage. So yes, there I am again having a meltdown. Why? We’re told to put in an incident report, which requested our entire cruise port itinerary and that our bags haven’t left PHL! At this time I also got email offering us a chocolate tour for Sunday, but at this late time no refund would be given. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Meltdown Sidenote: Again, many might question the freak out. Here was a much bigger issue. They were now giving us indication they had no idea when or if we might get our bags and we were about to embark on a 7 night cruise with nothing but the literal clothes on our back and whatever snacks & tech we had in our small carry-ons! We knew our same PHL-BCN flight was leaving that night at 7:10pm with an arrival at 9am Saturday morning and basically begged to get our bags on that flight! As it was currently only about noon PHL time, we knew they had plenty of time, but all we were told was they would put in the inquiry (via tele-text?!) and PHL would have to act on it in time. If our bags didn’t arrive on that flight, we’d have only a couple of hours to try to go to unfamiliar stores and buy everything we’d need for PJs, toiletries, dinner clothes, port adventures clothes, and much more.

From Kara - this is where that photo we posted on Facebook came into play. Some might call my family intense. Nearly all the time I call them loving and incredibly supportive. We use an app called GroupMe and we also use Google Location Services to keep track of one another. Gayle and I had difficulty getting on wi-fi at CDG so while my family knew we’d made it there okay because my phone had connected and updated my location, I didn’t really share an update. When we got to BCN and were dealing with the aforementioned request being sent by tele-text, I noticed in the GroupMe app that my aunt mentioned that she’d let a cousin in Phoenix who works for American Airlines know about our plight. My cousin found our record using the photo we’d posted with our boarding pass and, thankfully, our luggage was on the same record as we had actually booked this as one reservation which is not our norm.

Before leaving BCN we somehow had the wherewithal to request the luggage be held at BCN if it arrived, as we didn’t trust and couldn’t take a risk of passing it or a delay in delivery to the hotel &/or ship. We’d determined no matter what we’d return to the airport seeking our luggage Saturday morning, as it was the only real strategy we could take control of.

We finally got to our hotel, AC Hotel Marriott Diagonal D’Illa, around 7:30-8pm and just like in all telling TV shows & films - yes, it was raining. It was fatefully connected to a mall. We ended up with basic chicken sandwiches (and by this I mean crustless white bread with shredded chicken) and water for dinner. I did pick up a piece of chocolate cake, more out of habit than want.

That I couldn’t even bring myself to visit the Disney Store tells you how despondent I was.

Our hotel room was like a “camp version” of a hotel room - just the bare basics. We showered (using every amenity kit we could from the hotel), put our same clothes back on, and borrowed electrical adapters to charge our phones.

By absolute fate we had initially posted a photo of ourselves with our boarding passes on Facebook. I thought I’d covered our confirmation number, but apparently not. Via the “Monroe Family Network” (Kara’s family), her Aunt Idris sent our confirmation number to a distant cousin who happens to work for… American Airlines Customer Service! Through Idris we were told Cousin Kimberley spoke with a supervisor at PHL who had located our bags and would “do their best” to put them on our requested evening flight to arrive at 9am Saturday morning. Another follow-up re-affirmed.

Friday night we also logged onto the Air France baggage site as instructed. The only thing it showed was “luggage found - awaiting confirmation”. At some point I decided trying to apply my social media knowledge (as I’m also a known blogger for a popular TV series). I sent the AA Twitter account a Direct Message with our confirmation number begging them to put our bags on the PHL-BCN 7:10pm-9am flight. Around 10:30pm we got a positive response that yes this would happen!

Between this & Kara’s cousin’s messages, there were more hesitant and slight tears (of relief?), as we feared getting our hopes up.

Continuing to pile on, there was loud party music raging outside our room from somewhere we couldn’t see. So Kara looked for some brainless TV. With my experience in Europe I assured her if she looked long enough she’s probably find NCIS &/or Big Bang Theory. Sure enough Gibbs & the team gave us a slight calm in the midst of our storm. We tried to go to sleep by 11pm (which was only 5pm back home).

I woke up just past 2am. On the AA app it showed our confirmation number to check-in for our PHL-BCN flight - yay! But for a Saturday departure/Sunday arrival - NO! I figured this was our bags and was again defeated. I freaked-out internally while Kara slept. But the AA website showed our bags were loaded onto the requested flight at 3:20pm? Huh? So I took more drugs to get back to sleep.

This is Kara. There isn’t much I can add to this day other than a little more about my, as my niece Ashley said in a Facebook post commenting later on in the week, “creepy” family. Yes, sometimes we are remarkably creepy in how we keep up with each other. But, when push comes to shove, having a team of people in your immediate circle who are always in your corner is reassuring. I’d been checking in with them each time we got a network connection and giving them updates. I got to “meet” my cousin’s wife Kimberley for the first time through this situation and look forward to meeting her in person someday. The family was also watching my Google Location icon pop up all over the world all through the trip. It truly is a good thing to know you’ve got people and they’ve got you too.

Disclaimer: Gayle is a travel agent with Authorized Disney Travel Planner agency.

Next up: Embarkation Day! Would the luggage actually arrive?

Embarkation Day - Saturday, May 25, 2019

Hola Disney Magic!

The alarms went off promptly at 7:30am. It wasn’t great sleep, but we each felt a bit better. Since we were already dressed (in the only clothes we had), we returned the adapters and requested a taxi. There was some miscommunication with the taxi initially, but we arrived back at BCN right around 9am, when the make-or-break flight was to be landing.

Kara: A note here on Barcelona taxis. The drivers are all extremely pleasant and helpful. They load and unload bags without hesitation. I was really impressed with how convenient and comfortable I felt. Again, having not traveled much internationally, taxi drivers often create my first impression of any city I visit and Barcelona’s were a pleasure.

We went to the baggage carousel, as we didn’t know if they would arrive normally or be pulled for the office due to our inquiry (if they arrived at all). It felt like forever, as so many similar bags spilled out - none of them ours.

Then finally Kara thought she spotted mine. As she went to check, I spotted hers! Happy tears and relieved hugs for everyone!

Right in the middle of baggage claim we flung open our bags, found clothes for embarkation (as it had turned rainy, cool, & windy) and our toiletry bags. We changed in the nearby bathroom and did what we could with make-up on the awaiting benches. We stowed our dinner clothes in our carry-ons (as you often don’t get your checked bags delivered to your stateroom until very near or during Main Dining time). We left for the port by 10:45am and arrived at the port just past 11am! Plenty of people had already checked in and our small Platinum line went fairly quickly. (At this point, we didn’t care! We were there with all our things!)

Kara: This is my first time in the Platinum line on my own! YAY!!!!

We got our requested dining table for 2 and dining rotation, even though the request was added just 4 days ago. (We know we put this in during New Year’s, but I discovered by near accident the note had been deleted in the DCL system.) We also reviewed the Welcome Aboard paper Personal Navigator to learn they were not doing the “double evening show” schedule like last season and note the changes for us personally.

Kara: Gayle does a LOT of planning to figure out the ideal dining rotation, including Palo and then to put in those requests for a table on our own. While I know some people go onto cruises to meet other people, that’s not me. As Brene Brown says in her Netflix special, “I love humanity - I’m only so-so on people.” So, when Gayle says we got our requested dining rotation, I have to give her Kudos because LARLARL with Palo on the first day at Sea was absolutely perfect.

Boarding began 11:30/11:45am, which was a bit surprising since they were just coming off the Transatlantic sailing. We skipped the embarkation photo and were the first ones to arrive on the left side of Cabanas for lunch. AHHH!!! Finally, having good food and taking deep breaths, we let all the stress bleed-off.

I wrote most of this in Cove Cafe awaiting our room to be ready. It stayed chilly, cloudy, with spotted rain, so at this point we weren’t sure our shorts would ever see the light of day. (Note I packed 3 pair of shorts & only 2 pair of jeans….)

Kara: I tried to do a little writing in Cove Cafe but even with a Cafe Mocha in me, I dozed off. Pretty sure this was the first unflattering photo she took of me sleeping. What can I say, it’s what Monroe’s do when we sit down. We do something or we sleep.

At promptly 1:30pm we headed to our stateroom (#6644) on the Disney Magic.

We were greeted by our stateroom host and soon informed a brand new sofa bed with fold-down top-bunk had just been installed earlier that day. (Traditionally, the top bunks come down from the ceiling or fold down from the wall. This one was free-standing, mounted to the wall. It took up about another 8” of the room, but shows DCL is working to keep accommodating larger families. This room would usually max at 3 guests, but could now welcome 4.)

A fruit basket was already in the room. We didn’t know why and thought perhaps it was our Platinum Castaway Club loyalty gift, even though they usually give you a choice for that. (More on this mystery later.)

The 24 bottles of water (Evian!) Kara ordered were already unpackaged in the room as well. (We agreed with all our Port Adventures trying to keep our Contegos filled with the Deck 9 drink station wouldn’t suffice.)

The TV remote was dead, but was immediately replaced by our stateroom host, Suartana (Tana). We also took time to get more familiar with the DCL App that recently got a significant update, along with the new on-demand TV options. (FYI you could ask for paper Navigator’s at Guest Services, but it’s obvious they are all but dead in that format.) And FYI in case anyone needs a look at the current outlets at the desk:

They also now provide a heat pad to protect the desk from curling irons, flat irons, etc. Nice!

Soon Room Service called asking which option we wanted for the Platinum Castaway Club gift - cheese platter, fruit basket, or box of chocolate truffles. Of course I asked for the truffles, but not to deliver until final Day at Sea, (as we now consume them on the way home). Note I didn’t even pause to ask Kara’s opinion since this was her first Platinum cruise. Whoops. So then what is this fruit basket for? We still didn’t know. My only guess was a special request from a new work acquaintance?

We arrived to the Muster Drill early to ensure we got seats. So this gave us time to snap some pics of a few updated decor items outside Animator’s Palate.

Due to the weather and having listened to the new “Sail-A-Wave” boarding party, we skipped it. (It seems more family/kid focused and less adult than the previous iteration.)

Kara’s check bag arrived soon, so she unpacked, while I unpacked my carry-on as I awaited my checked bag. We changed clothes for dinner. My bag arrived just prior to dinner. For the first time ever we did Main (6pm on this sailing) Dining, due primarily to all the early call Port Adventures we’d have later in the week. Tonight we met our Head Server Munir, Server Anwil (India), & Assistant Server, Joe (Thailand).

Our rotation started in Lumiere’s, so I got my usual chilled appetizer of shrimp & lobster and an entree of salmon (instead of the lobster pasta). The salmon was meh. Kara got the Farmhouse Salad and steak. I kicked off the cruise with my customary two Grand Marnier Soufflés (with a bit of an upset tummy later) and Kara had the apple tartan.

Near the end of dinner Officer Zoe (England) stopped by to introduce herself and mentioned the card in our stateroom (that came with the fruit basket). When I asked her about it, she responded it is due to the fact we are on the VIP List for this cruise. EXCUSE ME, WHAT?! Zoe said she would be checking in with us each night and to just call her direct number if we needed anything. (Zoe is the assistant to the Hotel Diretor, Lisa, who oversees all of the stateroom and dining sections of the ship.)

The shops were packed and our initial perusal indicated nothing to be excited about. Sad. We also stopped by the piano bar, Keys, and were unimpressed with the lounge entertainment.

We decided to skip the 8:45pm “Welcome Aboard” stage show that we’d seen plenty of times and instead went back to the stateroom to unpack. At some point we also discovered part of our VIP status meant we also had slippers and the most amazing DCL robes in our stateroom! (FYI you can purchase these robes, but they are outrageously expensive. Sad.) By 9pm our eyelids were falling shut, which was understandable based on the prior two days!

Next up: Day at Sea

Day at Sea - Sunday, May 26, 2019

tumblr_inline_ptny37jBlr1qin9jn_540.jpg

Kara:. I’ll kick off the story today. I woke up and knew Gayle had at least been awake as the curtain between the two sides of the stateroom was a little open and I could see some natural light coming through from the verandah window. I moved a little so I could see through the curtain and waved my hand in G’s direction but didn’t get a response so I flopped back in bed and readjusted a bit to get comfortable - thinking I would read until she woke back up. I was thrilled to see it was after 9 and was hoping she was sleeping well. The sound of me moving around signaled to her I was awake and she came over and sat on the bed. We had both slept well. What a relief.

Gayle: For the record, we slept from 10:30pm to 8:40am (me)/9:30am (Kara). Not sure if it was from the Dramamine or exhaustion/stress of the 2 days prior. Frankly at this point we didn’t care.

Kara: We put on some clothes - essentially public facing pajamas - and headed up to Cabanas for the breakfast buffet. We’re neither one fans of the sit down restaurant breakfasts so it’s always a bonus when we get Cabanas. Mickey Waffles with strawberry sauce rounded out my breakfast selection. I don’t like waffles much at nearly any other time or place but these are so good.

Gayle: Yep it was great to see Cabana’s open until 11am, but we got there at 9:45am. Breakfast is my favorite meal, especially with a Disney buffet! So I piled up the most excellent (that we need to figure out how to replicate) Banana Bread French Toast, Mickey waffles, & Chocolate Cinnamon Brioche Bread. (And I pretty much work to make everything I can into a dessert!)

tumblr_inline_ptny8smU881qin9jn_540.jpg

As is appropriate on a Day at Sea we napped from 11:40am-1:40pm! The afternoon was spent simply chatting, reading, & lounging in our stateroom. (This is due to us being varied levels of introvert and the new release of Aladdin not being shown at any reasonable hour.)

Tonight was Formal Night, and for us Palo. (It’s also why I picked a rotation with Animator’s Palate tonight, so we could skip it, as it’s our least favorite menu.) Kara started getting ready at 3:30pm and me soon after at 4pm. We handled our “chores” at 5:30pm - getting extra seasick/Meclazine pills from Guest Service since we didn’t bring enough with us (on purpose knowing they have them complimentary on-board), applying our gift cards to the onboard accounts, and dropping off our two Placeholder re-booking forms. We stopped back by the room to drop things off and for me to grab an Excedrin Migraine, since I failed to take my normal caffeine in the morning.

With all this we chatted with Zoe in the lobby and were still at Palo before it opened/our 6pm reservation. Our Palo server was Alvin (Phillipines). He was funny (chipmunk!) and the whole environment of Palo felt more light-hearted than usual. Shockingly my chunk of lobster tail was slightly over-cooked, but all the rest was as incredible as usual. The pappardelle and chocolate souffles were as wonderful as ever!

tumblr_inline_ptnyau3uW91qin9jn_540.jpg

Kara: Gayle and I get the same meal in Palo - the gnocchi, pappardelle, and scallops. I ADORE the mushroom risotto but even if they bring you a half order it’s just too much food and I’d prefer to eat all the seafood. So I asked Alvin to bring me “just a bite” of risotto. He chuckled at me and walked away. True to Disney service, he did bring me a tiny ramekin with just a bite or two of risotto - exactly what I’d asked for. And, then, of course, came the full plate or Risotto along with the parmesan crisp! The chef would never allow just that bite to leave the kitchen (shhhh - don’t tell). I will add that we really got to know Alvin a bit more than any other Palo server. As an educator, his story of the role of education in his family was really meaningful to me.

Here’s the photo journey of our favorite meal!

tumblr_inline_ptnybl7v3H1qin9jn_540.jpg

Kara and her glass of Rosa Regale.

tumblr_inline_ptnyc8BNuu1qin9jn_540.jpg

The starters of bread and anti-pasta. (The full offerings of the anti-pasta are brought table-side via cart and the server makes a plate of your choice.)

tumblr_inline_ptnycrc65v1qin9jn_540.jpg

Potato gnocchi

tumblr_inline_ptnyd6LoAw1qin9jn_540.jpg

Kara’s “tiny ramekin” of mushroom risotto! LOL!

tumblr_inline_ptnygb96uz1qin9jn_540.jpg

The pappardelle with lobster. (Gayle says this is on-par with the chocolate souffle. That says it all!)

tumblr_inline_ptnyh20CxW1qin9jn_540.jpg

Our lemon palate-cleanser between courses.

tumblr_inline_ptnyhpRSrV1qin9jn_540.jpg

A close-up of one of the glorious scallops.

tumblr_inline_ptnyjejOEb1qin9jn_540.jpg

Gayle’s perfect chocolate souffles!

tumblr_inline_ptnyk2Etqe1qin9jn_540.jpg

Kara’s dish of delectable berries.

tumblr_inline_ptnykpg8ol1qin9jn_540.jpg

(The light in Palo is not great for photos!)

We finished just after 8pm and skipped the stage show, “Twice Charmed”, as neither of us care for it.

We popped up to the Deck 9 drink station for ice in the morning, laid out our clothes for the first of four Port Adventure days, filled-out the breakfast Room Service card, and set a too-early alarm for Naples day. In our room that night we returned to find 6 chocolate-covered strawberries, presumably from Zoe, but with no note.

tumblr_inline_ptnymcAp0W1qin9jn_540.jpg

Next up: Naples, Italy! Let the (port) adventures begin!

Loving your report. I cannot imagine the stress you were both under on your travel day. I would have been FREAKING out. Thank goodness you were able to make it on time and get your luggage before boarding. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip. :)

Working for an airline, the travel days are the some of the most interesting days for me to read :) I love to read the logistics, what people find important when travelling. And then you have those when things go wrong. And when things go wrong, they usually go WRONG! I think you did all you could in pre-planning and took the right decision taking the Air France flight in Economy, getting there on time for a cruise is more important than anything. And then your luggage goes missing! o_O I've been on the receiving end of customer service for a while and I felt your pain! Good thing you got it back just in time for your cruise :)

Keep on writing!

Loving your report. I cannot imagine the stress you were both under on your travel day. I would have been FREAKING out. Thank goodness you were able to make it on time and get your luggage before boarding. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip. :)
We absolutely DID freak out - luckily we traded off that "role"! I think I heard someone else on this sailing didn't get their luggage until the 2nd full day, when we first docked in Naples!

Working for an airline, the travel days are the some of the most interesting days for me to read :) I love to read the logistics, what people find important when travelling. And then you have those when things go wrong. And when things go wrong, they usually go WRONG! I think you did all you could in pre-planning and took the right decision taking the Air France flight in Economy, getting there on time for a cruise is more important than anything. And then your luggage goes missing! o_O I've been on the receiving end of customer service for a while and I felt your pain! Good thing you got it back just in time for your cruise :)

Keep on writing!
THANK you for affirming we made the right choice in getting to a hub! (Please let me know if there if anything we should have done differently/also for future use!) We'll tell you what the eventual outcome was with the airline in our final post. And on that note, the airline trauma continued on our return flight. Stay tuned!

Naples - Monday, May 27, 2019

My alarm went off at 6:15am (on a “vacation” day?!) I only slept 11pm-4am for no conceivable reason, and I felt bad about the alarm because Kara’s Port Adventure (PA) left an hour later than mine. The weather was again dark, cloudy, RAIN, and then the wind kicked up.

Ri961LIXnNNiV2PxQ-fGu5CqUKmFMSMeqOkuNfPKCY-dqmaPTmEqS1aI5JyfCYS1XdUeBpfl9yp35T1xOdoknAnVsdRmzLtOBtiZ22c4LddW-cHhEG08s5B49ZCEAed2I_tB9urk

As a reminder, here are the PAs we booked. Details on them can be found in THIS POST.

Amalfi by Boat & the Splendor of Sorrento (NP41) - Gayle only
9.5 Hours to 10 Hours

Timeless Pompeii and the Flavor of Sorrento (NP06) - Kara only
8.5 Hours to 9 Hours

I (Gayle) arrived at D Lounge at 7:30am. We loaded on a charter bus and set out for Sorrento. On the way we learned about the 3 tunnels carving a path down the coast literally through the mountains. For safety there is a camera at the start of each tunnel and if you surpass the speed limit and exit the tunnel too soon, the camera snaps a photo of your license plate and mails you the ticket! They also have escape doors in case something happens that requires the tunnel to be evacuated. Our tour guide was (say it with me Italian accent-style) Rosario.

AQLoTZg4mOLvGVeYl36MzXhIHjtr_hJf_3qe8QMW_h7Sx_EkXeHjBVk83GYAIUe5eZKcRNnlFSuOQ2nl7Vc3HhG8uDn6RtxNXxtpZkrOCsdiBHY7hdaTBXUNA2bWLRHUoevC4eF6

Our journey began by passing Mount Vesuvius.

Very soon we stopped at a cameo factory. (It was obvious we stopped here in an agreement tourists might buy things in trade for pre-emptive use of the incredibly clean bathroom facilities.) It was amazing how tiny and detailed everything was made by hand-carving.

As we traveled from Naples from Sorrento, we tried to appreciate the views. We could only imagine what it would look like on a beautiful, sunny day. :(

UKn-t16LEr_KaJ6vaDVzbMEVurbd2VbARVQ7K_VYJgGhO53FIkZT_fjrrfOaNwTfFPAxiO9uYsglXWFemQ15iwg0Hmwnc8vcRi2AI6ZGNrbyw5N4QNuwMSW5Q8L7Lhfj7LDOzUhN

Wondering why I snapped a photo of an industrial crane?

2-0Bkze8xXbQEXFG_fxDjg5W5_lWOoaMS6WC3KQox1sgevmupHSN9E6x9gB5LlnlZBQRETRDpemQbI9jBgG4SM_Dc4tb5S80rcEibravalp6kvuUYInBhVaQvIp5RPg7N9qWpQrk

It says “Fincantieri”. Why is that significant? Fincantieri is a large ship-builder. In fact, this group crafted both the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder! (The newer/bigger ships were made by a German firm.)

Arriving in Sorrento we were dropped off at Cuomo’s Lucky Store and provided a demonstration of how they hand-carve wood to craft tables, jewelry boxes, lazy Susan's, etc. with in-laid patterns. The multi-game tables were amazing! The special for the day was to consider price tags being in US dollars and large items included shipping anywhere in the world. Every pattern you see was carved and in-laid by hand! No lasers!

hIWXv7WpGpgK_AZ1r_nORiTUhyDfFLTCbgTIYtI26AOD8yAzu9bEwCfBv_8adfss0dPmF6fbtjC4SIZsNcYyb6_syTK6sBcX2eGwTogFW3Z191tkGFjxisVt_XCe0s5dM94HW8eU
ftQlIBEYq9lvjjNnZab8rv_-Gi8jTTQLNBtipnkXSvGzzZok54oBQpSYPBYa6F8RpN7WV3Q-gmyqyh1MV1JGclE1rq54Y18xn7YBS1f3_Qj7RnlqWygrs2CFZ96XK4RPQGUu7ZZC

V0dTA-Wd1jrhehDXk-JpA4W8JltMXR3cA6UWMBcvbPLA-XU7I6wakzkbN1KmNwgqxikEE76qidx1sm_Ghfwk0B8nGBk0f3ceo3HePrx18wlCaTzxBYTnU_IXpTw1KK5Prv5qinZS
fxCOe1H8YeTyGw5ExvGs78yJAkwyLxGA6LU53stPFqVFM-9vovGSD7NGwbYIBAlGYJgVc6SUckZ1lWZSHkZ3sOIRWsiK4tTWcqq9hciWPrxH4Q17IlnMt5ZOCN8DRmmisfliktq1

I then ventured to the main square of town and found the only other recommended store. It was basically a larger version of the first with lace & jewelry. I wandered down a couple of small alleys with tiny street shops. The larger better know shops weren’t yet open. It was already raining, so I put my rain jacket on over the backpack, which provided additional security from potential pickpockets as a barrier to the latches & zippers - not that I needed it as I have a Travelon backpack (& PacSafe purse at home).

The rain started getting heavier, so I went back to the first store, which was also our meeting point. I was back so early I spent 30 minutes just standing in the storefront window with protection from the rain. This definitely wasn’t how I envisioned my visit to Naples/Sorrento.

Rain video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuiaa422u3cmymt/Sorrento rain.MOV?dl=0

Kara’s group showed up just as we were departing for lunch.

OngkSrphJOmUOGs0mf0TqW8CBimJTK2jmXCSSSRleBTteb3UHdQ2oBee9Szeg8sVq4taHjNSgAvEpBpIYmrQ8ijk-qAYpyEFHulH3y00yOEyqZur50yvGb0l2Nlu-tzRGXlogOP4

Gayle’s group went to a nearby place that looked like Disney Cruise Line’s Enchanted Garden - a glasshouse Eden in the middle of an old, crumbling city.

q7nR-wyXN_YPQPczpTn8JVOh-3qv1Jb29oeHicAwYWrdbzdGAmjy7nR8RmRUaRMZE8HRZEI-uYEiXnNifJHzBPuTyw4Ds5tPR41xLunFsu2D7oc9FsQWB5OQAQgiX97C09n_8eFL

Our appetizers were an unknown meat, salad, puffs of ???, “ham & cheese” fried dough with pizza sauce, &... Fries - all served family-style.

We were each then given entrees of penne pasta & a veggie lasagna wrap. Dessert was lemon cake. I ended up sitting with the “Gold Mickey” couple and a young couple from Guatemala, who are both doctors taking residency in Alabama soon.

Just as lunch ended we were told the boat tour of the Amalfi Coast - THE reason I booked this PA - was cancelled! As expected, the poor weather made the seas too rough. We were told we’ve receive some unknown amount of refund. (I doubted this as Disney Cruise Line listed the Naples city tour as a sub if the boat tour got cancelled.)

At 1pm we headed back for a substitute city tour of Naples at 2pm. I did learn Rome is the largest city with about 5M, Milan with about 2M, and Naples at 1M. (Other documents during our cruise gave very different figures….) It was an epically boring drive around Naples with two cold & windy stops by 3:30pm. Additionally, it was tough to get around the downtown/Oceanside section due to them installing a subway system; traffic and construction were everywhere. They made another stop where 3 of us decided to stay on the bus.

Kqk_0vxlxrZOBETATGPYJU0mtvpft5-nR5EL9LvPZDs0CmcN0-0SXAviUh81_RaF9Xo4NCJCUmGLExrobi_WtqQm6-68u4hZpzdsYSydclheVaFyYdg8Tot6RdBIys5qchjfLFPm
12CMHCuGnNo55QfaeyBg9oCli4SK9FYvnaeJYVXe-Gn1wusf8LoYqhNzo0eReUzlMY67pqk6xSrXCrG_LsxSyVpWrmQnFEs-bqYDa3lTlrH39QFD7sXH-_utTURRXvsRU0fcIN1P

DEOWF1Yt63Cj9Oq6NAwXviugQyUhelfJhbOAs3Lo6EA03nnLyAGuJRZfdaOUf0RD18ZvfTeUGUyKXeOEg5qCZQVFkOt26-dp_i011D7sLcY4xGwjGYEc2sBFXQFUhQYNl_tByEC1
tu0Q2USY3VMYqHqCHBHjiNWzv53YnEFYUOEG6mA3O1bsygoxg2y_7n5xvFudjO12y6Vmd1lbN7nHOL1M7X2bLLSrX10DghDdAA5j3oghPT9y6G5zt5RrKaIozqXjAvNgOwVlid0U

I was getting really frustrated, as this wasn’t how I wanted to spend my day. Had I been able to see it, I would have just walked back to the ship. We finally got back to the ship at 4pm (luckily not the originally scheduled 5:45pm!) The last straw was standing on the gangway in cold, blowing wind as an elderly couple couldn’t seem to clear the security scanner.

b8mrilr4e4QyVTaYpKQy5E7Voo2a1-EMjjfRMzzhK5am-MhsYo_qkkwh0gN7iTlXAkvC0jcyh69rDW-OS0r7xFBp-lkYcx2qsijeZ9jprScjJsI-ZJobus4o9eqHjh2HYApU7z1M

I zipped up to our stateroom, as I’d gotten “chilled to the bone” (even with a sweater, jeans, & sneakers)! I cranked up the heat and got in bed. If I wasn’t already dressed for dinner (minus shoe change), I would have gotten in the shower to get warm! The next day was already a concern with a similar forecast and the issue I was slated to wear a light dress.

Oh, we also has this as our VIP snack for the day. Even with the cover the bleu cheese was sticking-up the room, so I had it summarily returned (when Room Service brought more cookies!)

aRDC9PLeuxvnW1UwuOc8JgWGFQmlRT4vIMC9BEbzjs1PHbg0kXXqNoFb7XokS6Z4wKXvyINvcHBxqaZRoQhmqL4-oU4cn4xIX2e5pUgDkFCZF_R-d9UBlL360UTXSJqJ335itBUb

Kara: Before we tell you about dinner, I’ll recap my tour/day. After G left to meet her group, I got ready and then headed to Fathoms to wait for my departure at 8:30 a.m. It was clear from the get go that this was NOT an adults only departure.

We met our guide, Pierlugi (Luigi for short), as we boarded the bus. It was raining lightly as we left the port. We took the highway from Naples to Sorrento. As we left the port, Luigi informed us the Port is the second largest in Italy. This area is also one of the most densely populated in all of Europe - Luigi used the word overpopulated a couple of times. As we drove, I was struck by the number of greenhouses and the amount of land in this clearly urban/suburban area that was used for agriculture.

As we drove, we passed through three long tunnels - the last of which was 5 km long. We also passed by a 900 year old castle with a stunning view that is used today for events like weddings.

Our bus arrived at the farm - Colline de Sorrento - where I snapped a selfie and then got under shelter before the sky completely opened up.

h8Y6l2nIOLkCTHPY15tC3huWD7kYERYVT294rNzQDa0J1SSpPQD5D6oB2RJTr0hZOTGpD2i692yfO7hJwsX70iWPegBWbcEIYqKdrDDQi0k7NCca6X8nRRnoS2jFN_2bN4Hocpky

The proprietor of the farm and one of the other staff VERY QUICKLY sort of demonstrated how three different kinds of cheese were made - mozzarella and ricotta and one type I didn’t understand but that tasted good.

I sat down for the tasting at a table with a couple about my age. They were Katelyn and Bill. Katelyn and I both availed ourselves of the facilities on two separate trips. Bill and I chatted while Katelyn was gone. Then when I returned to the table, Katelyn says, “Are you Gayle’s friend?” She and G had “met” via the Facebook group for our cruise and G had mentioned I was on this tour. We all work in higher ed so my guess is it stuck.

We shopped in the little farm store. I grabbed some limoncello and orange marmalade. This shopping trip I enjoyed as this is my kind of shopping. We loaded back onto the bus in the pouring rain.

From the farm, we rode into Sorrento. You already know we also arrived at Cuomo’s Lucky store where I ran into Gayle.

I walked through Cuomos and then headed into Sorrento to stroll the cobblestone street. The rain was just intermittent, so it wasn’t terrible. I ran into a group from my tour that was walking through town with Luigi so I followed them for a bit. Luigi pointed us towards a great view of the Bay of Sorrento.

EvZWtjmsyG5aVU3FtO-5UJeG10H4eEQB7KAQfj8qtgYHTNHzW7VuN7RNfyVPTTyZhR7PYD8e0h5fs1AYupgvhpVynfLNFYKqELsEqlguBmb1w1EYShhpBwrP5s15zXkXa2DWNumO

I had lunch at a little street cafe called Ristorante Sorrenti. I just ordered quickly with the Margherita pizza which I regret because I wish I’d had the carbonara or caccio a pepe while we were in Italy - neither of which I was smart enough to think through. The pizza was tasty.

9umWwD5KyfO_OXWj9XWPOSgwxNXuSe1TNgg-YKhg4K5sJuhVDh8seTbF2eFAdBM_VeBTEtNBCVOq8fDNqqeonbwqTwq7Vf3Tti1J2Oy0QvkzMYsza4w8dhxKDTKmckLu_pq6EU-j

I did a little shopping and browsing. This part of Sorrento was fun to just walk around in, although other than tourist shops there wasn’t much culturally significant.

From Sorrento our group headed less than 10 km down the road to a parking lot at what turned out to be a limoncello factory with a store and cafe attached. There was a patio where you could look across the road and see another view of the Bay. It was so unimpressive in my mind, I took no pictures.

We loaded back up after our third stop, shop, move on stop and I was a bit over it. When we arrived in Pompei and our first stop was this Cameo factory (which had been on the tour description so I knew it was coming), I was pretty done. And yet, we still had Pompei to go which I hadn’t been looking that forward to. While I’m interested in history, this for some reason has never been a part of history that interested me. Looking back a few weeks later now, I actually am really glad I had the opportunity to see Pompei.

I’ll get to a brief description of my highlights of the town. But for any of you who have been there - can anyone explain to me how the chariots drove through the streets with these three big pillars sticking up out of the middle of the street? I get the pillars allowed you to cross flooded streets - but I still don’t have a visualization of chariots that works in those streets.

mFYe6ACmZrVLOFKyHA-c7IGi1pjDYOpWJjunLa081_RqJ1Zu-nmJ0JlnFKcvoaGZuFYHXDLM1XItDHyh52loYoQIO44xNWeBfTWs-iXkRoElONoTu9IzOCuk3NSlPZVnN9Edgoq_

Okay - as for my highlights of Pompei - which I have to admit was much better now because the sun was out and it was nice and warm. I really enjoyed the Bath House as well as the main square. To think that the marble stage of the theatre is still intact is absolutely incredible to me.

ZORNlgqzWcf7xvB0UuFgLS478xCY4kHs1RuCaBFOH_s6WC6R6A9Fbp8wixOTKmvRYyH53AghVuO92I_Re31matF_zH4N8-IjfH_Pft6R3mWqH6V-w57Lsrx5E7ZKxAdzQiCj1caC
pLdvTiX3TCvxcc7PKiw4jawkmWCd5Md5FPe74pU4JdEkL5TWnA-hbGPN7M07RQzE2AI_xQjTkIexaOmoY3NNQ1v-0PR65U-KZBQNuXAgctzBeG-BEyB8GFsTYbcpl3J70rTnt2v4
_o5DPTaRi7oeKieYtq_MQylo_3KtTzc96qiFbJBqZr8_X1L9jpnidyQxWMcLvgFd7XiY8qyCyx6WTgbpAuUqGSsVHyEv8_Oji9iwCJLo3x-NL_2DuuSJ2dKtjRbXKATBUpSN7jmr
zTWYZRDzNLKtEt3e9RTCjmCrkFewrEK1-H7MuskaXbv2UTbUiCzjLPyGHQiQHNemBLoeY79eMJpUhXrcXsOI004XfaoASNEjTBGaPQn5XUXroPdyjbKFFilPoHLnSO_vVjPKvqqd
r8LABnYBvZcFOdlc-ava-DIy05vKJrkmksfQIV_TnPWGsvQoRlsDA4dmM_yoQ9hDDIVpU-lXpyLrX_QjTrGltc-OspJuYK-qmOIOTmnNF0p38Rb51EAJ7GvLYfY9eldza9spFOfo
CxhMpTjvcAc7rHfHQ06V7e8WoBVo2jr7sy5-dqKfFgceR0w9VyemroNgnwYS3F6fnzQfkoPBuNBhVxvQWphmAzYdYkh_jdItFb5xrB7s2CDJZFN6QdJ7lgZp_iMbNaHLSec2voIo

As we left Pompei we had about 15 minutes to browse the vendor stands or, do what I did, and grab a gelato. Definitely the best way to use that time. We turned to the port and, now, back to the rest of the story.

Gayle: Tonight was our first night in Rapunzel’s (for the Thug show). I couldn't wait to dine in Rapunzel’s even though the menu was questionable. Similar to the West Coast Repo cruise on the Disney Wonder, we were very near the stage (like at Tiana’s). Our head server even noted we could move the next time to the exact table we’d had in Tiana’s - on the main aisle with direct view of the stage!

iqXJlVs-i1lWBoR4jWpcM0iBemUQhDEGSZXLwdiCvwfkUKl4QlsufIUpkIkowyPRoAhC9KhDA2kSm4iJfF2nQjyXVWc0aVbp-uVJDO-EZMctpXtyNVDteMQMuxM7xnxVF5Ordre_
x8jiQjb3tntgJW-LhLZCeAfbXjhvkqHkCDf8Mf8Dl7oRebhji08w94_1jvsm7WElK6r7aPZKPvKJCNZImf2vW3ovHfLdnN8ElBQYmM2XXV5lH2GJ9pd_hqTQZlyXodcEgCuzZCqP
YzTTJPvOqmdhiu8n6RF4P7XERH-UIxpA1mJnBAQhxdtgd04JUo9nwVTbNVpAv4xxXyE-oUPRUPsb8Brmu1lmvAk4NdZLjp6asoqd9JYjJ-G-M15Mo0fohTSDVam6aJzrZ3dAXxXf

The menu.

BQAqIqRy5N3Ls81bsN8xvPZbtVG3rCT-jK6wCVJ0W-GxwhBn2MlFI3teMd2onueB_UQI_z0M3GYpKmgcw6Qzpa-awEhCnEz7_4HxqvcGXbuv0mlxWZDXhfdHIw80YashZ_jCQ6G4

Video of Rapunzel: https://www.dropbox.com/s/spfwzrif6np6m16/Raps.MOV?dl=0

Kara: Because we were so close to the stage, we had a rather long visit with the thug Vlad.

S3iK8h6AlpTu_pm2K0eiZlyf5TMeIB25SgwCRhmfsK2A5ItE-q43bFczqmIWB3S0kHlvVIFLRbB-AP9LNWt9ewikoaZfazJbZ1jeZ6J9sIGbtxDxESjm4dLB57d8xnBhsRyHSRiF

Kara: I’d also add here that this menu was not exciting. If it weren’t for the stage show we wouldn’t have been thrilled with tonight. I think next time I’m getting a kid’s chicken tenders and fries.

kRRmQ5XOvPgDDns8jf5yGfaPs9bShfdMy7Mt__d21Afkz9buiAadHLU9wQY3xjJDGeX11wSJPwHY3n3omibE0APqXzSimcyFaFW3Ht8AYVABNsbl8IQCvsoeOvV5WWgJWSEzdt2p
U4UYxi2xgnwf0eW-eHDWTr-bk0Fr3PlMuO64L1s7PgyfrYgwAVIU6peZARMIbjZI9WZIfiSW_x-LS7Cv5pFA-sk9m9Abgb5W5kX4md2M37ybtC9WfKxvhfzg0RS6LF8kXnDz3dab
x3dnXjd-XP9oN-cwBJLNN-RSRN12ADhIehGQrZ_CKmOEdqHEXl70t8rQi7MZThfNp77E_qA1tyDaWr6Nfd2Bn2eYd88bOiunnUFib1pylfs6hnbOtCNo5AO8NI5QUoqOj-s5xWJQ

Having reviewed the menu, we noted nothing on the dessert menu of interest! So before dinner we’d pre-ordered Room Service for the White/Dark Chocolate cake and cookies for dessert. FYI Disney, when you say “cake”, Kara in particular has a vision for what that will be. THIS

GnuofgTtbu38Npl012ackPbQ7DOYsTrEsLZmwXB8-Ja6RItZuW3Uu1rwBij1VjrrGP0qEnDpFS6II4_OsW2WlTbOMKctDFAkGn9C5WwyTAvZ53o-GtgDAiQgOGPfLzbBF0JG39_l

Is NOT cake. THIS is mousse - which Kara doesn’t eat. (I had one disappointed BFF this evening!)

The new live-action Disney’s Aladdin film was being shown in the stage theatre tonight, but with the start time of 8:45pm and another early PA port time in the morning, we had to skip it.

Disclaimer: I (Gayle) am a travel agent with Authorized Disney Travel Planner agency

THANK you for affirming we made the right choice in getting to a hub! (Please let me know if there if anything we should have done differently/also for future use!) We'll tell you what the eventual outcome was with the airline in our final post. And on that note, the airline trauma continued on our return flight. Stay tuned!
If I got you in front of my desk in a situation like this, and you would tell me you had to get to a cruise, I would definitely focus on getting you there asap. And indeed preferably via a large airport, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Rome, Madrid etc. where I know there are several flights a day to get you to Barcelona (just in case, cause you just never know). If you had time, and it didn't really matter when you arrived, I would focus on sticking to the cabin you had booked and decent transfer times.

The agreement major airlines have is on the day of departure when things go wrong, we are allowed to just book on other airlines, regardless if it's a partner of the airline alliance or not. I was based in Amsterdam for KLM and if our flights to Munich got cancelled, but Lufthansa (our biggest competitor) was flying, I could rebook to them without any problem. You can't do it in advance, then you have to stick to the partners, but if it's on the day of departure at the airport, our priority is to get you to your destination as soon as possible.

The problem then starts (besides possible luggage problems) afterwards getting your money back for the downgrade, your frequent flyer points etc. but that's for when you are home and hopefully enjoyed your trip :) that's not something the staff at the airport are really thinking about.

I'm so happy you received your luggage and made it to the cruise! Hopefully sunnier skies are ahead in your trip :)

ps I just returned from my third river cruise with ABD...they are wonderful AND full of young/young at heart people! Kara, you should definitely try one!

Rome - Tuesday, May 28, 2019

It was another early morning with a 5:47am alarm for our 7:15am PA call time. By now we had a routine of getting ready, eating our room service, taking seasick pills, and packing our backpacks. The forecast was only 64, but no rain. I donned a plaid dress & navy sweater, but stashed my Lauren hoodie & footies (for the bus) in my bag! Luckily, neither were used.

Cvie8gi00xDI4Ws1IJ23-csm_pNnZhuMp8cSq76q3ZlkBdqQ3btRtXDEgMej1mUif_1-y3ORscD2HZv_V9a-ORuVXHc6MymxanckWKaIazfKqbrnu2HZ6s5FQfLocHP-6DkEm-yh

As a reminder of our chosen Port Adventure:

Vatican Behind the Scenes and Panoramic Drive (CV105)
10 Hours to 10.5 Hours

It was about an hour drive into the city and we were dropped off just outside the Vatican City wall. We were led down a Groups path (FastPass), went through security scanners, and then awaited our tickets. (The regular line wrapped all the way down one of the walls and around the corner. Again, unless you arrive prior to opening or have a tour like ours booked, the wait to just get in would be excessive!)

DyZX6syEZ6Trrdk4ksgeEdNcSF7mSOJYSJ1cxFo6XIwcr8BfjZRhUFM8dzQU7rblCuilfL56YnyAb5ZvD0_1HhUu843kYGO5KRd0VtQLE5WkdZYigbQ-Hu3ZnoLMzqZOGywJ1YzA
6plPpI5A7GsxCp81yZlr-FRZAdYpcDu_TpT_QxgWhCW0F6-JeocuuK-ko4X4vrToZcIbIcxNhVV3Kt1f5I8-3XXdZpeMyQ2R8hjs8LyioirhRgAnZjOE_6ojTRQBN9GoAOANIy3B

Then it was upstairs for our radio guides, but it was to hear our personal guide, not the Vatican Museums audio guide. Our group was led out to the Gardens, a blissful escape from the crowds. (As uttered on the Disney Cruise Line Blog Podcast, when at the Vatican be prepared to “pack your patience and give up your personal space!”)

The Gardens (requiring a special ticket or with a tour) are quite hilly with all sorts of cement, cobblestone, and rock pathways. (I was happy my new Chacos conquered it all!) One in our group had mobility issues and opted out of a significant portion of the tour. We were told about the history and meaning behind many of these sites, refurbishment of a considerable monument, and the building to which retired Pope Benedict has retired. This area also provided beautiful natural, quiet, and unobtrusive views of the back of both the St. Peter's Basilica Dome and Sistine Chapel. The numerous gardeners were out and about to the point it felt a bit Disney-esque. We regularly got out of the way of the golf carts and 4-wheelers (that I wanted to commandeer)!

vaj1PSkZXYRkjZq1qGWIu3j5lY-8CRjLzuVT9CIKWeYBCcSv2c6fIbb8qfujGmX6flrlGvsNIvLnnauuxdC0I20QPxofiCJDEsYRcWqhGTQoy_yBx5REXdNferF-IkNQW0OQpTQY
nmSTKluUqslIjPpVQprLJAWeF6hd2q0bG5Cqig8L_p2JpRdvejjpBo7NytWGrIqkWLQvHyKc3UARX8oBUBJtMykNcq_FHRmTbEPj2ZthJvA6-rnLv_mHcmnk-DMRl1EMS25WQJxk
AuqoctL1fcVoOuEsaoI5Kb2dqJM0rrsl0q8NliFbT62nQS6Q4WPvrsIAQczpKM6H6e9ej4i5Ctnwqxt8xECgK0AxzF1n690icTJ5JQRRAIjiIU85BCBHsoDfFu3NO17SojPNiNqs
PBh4NpYgsunIck5eB5DSY3hvURnLBRtA2-xIDweiHbxpJiEyRTRbyZWFvIZs-_1VxDUFKmE4VqGoKN7lLi4PLf2eGNyS_RO5whypEgQcLl9WRJJ3Us7N0VIbjHkjTmDS3A0okgws
8jt87tPC5kyZhMGt9x_GwYI3nQaI5Uz9hgqaD_Ry6b-Wwv_-VuGKqHU_d8DVyH9sgT83bSZSmhw9YdlAY8jaSO_GhfqFdOP-wDt3Npc3zuxRpyUN1ApeJ-ex803AlgZWaQNeTtmJ
r_nvERQaiUMBrr26yUm4nrsoVc5ZZmcDBM4QDbACUsoj3sUfBE3scLlHNcV03NABEEY8oHpd1TdboJiGFWWqhizf4q7BUv1Cp2PFyeSkbrsULN0xcmlsPqVhjrgt6uvwW5wV9Fg5

This is Kara - I’ll just add that the Gardens were very pretty - made even more enjoyable by the fact the weather was absolutely perfect. I especially enjoyed Pope Pius IV’s building from 1550 and its sunbathing turtles.

njopDM--3c-HaIetD1IAxmT_utH-yWaNYGKPEWzkK-7nP8PdoKQO3XVZASWFZfr9Hk27HCkr-0U5w7U8pSUce8kAsQIl2gE4H-prPyCkSe-j26UsMMJPU6aVRvq0K0UcFBrOxC0Q
02tGDTgJjVJHh8-iwGoBDCpJp6jhzxKx03qykBKJ35UxF3shQSQ1sK4yzgn8qYey2khuuomb8LF2nvOgBz3Acbnueo0APWk9NfdosQPQwV9Ku6SKqLFqWbLS2hX2POc5Kcbv0W5B
IfixxFAmCGIc0fG5WCUw7aO7xpsFibR8la4IvNdDrZel7EqmSiZbeIBYNhhHbvimmem5qQwd1nzbNFkAiFmdmJH3TNtrITUkM1T4LgfNIC-SQ4ix06-qhM-CafbYLyU7CUMC_1Bb
1UmCYeLH6OnPmR3MzMIRqDUGy3osO0oTFTdfUO65EpeLkTvHepY5HjVlm80YaoUhZQA7zih8n9WgxlcFPLCOdk2XYCJEot5RtaNIhO2wOegrZVVqF5brZAb8X2IS2nK25e3EsLOd

Too soon we returned to the outside public area of Vatican City. We stopped in front of a set of six signs, each explaining different part of the Sistine Chapel. I had not seen this on my previous visit. It gave much needed context to the famous painting we were about to view, so this is highly recommended.

31MNQI25_ZpIYL7dImSxTkZQhAINbarVYfkqA5TR4CKbjRlboIXyEfZ6OLb9d1m32cJ64fVrVM5qs1Z8Vz6IBmgo9zAD8amvGDpTk7GUGcSGblNNlOxMJZkicvqv8L8CIYYaS9h0
1bRWRDMoH2pKitGc972SuMPblw03j3TD7JckAAT-JwiAR5zMmYtwaeUzCJRM0aq-PoEuEQvzNJmN2OCdTahNR77uH-8-GMiTSz-GijV6W5pbohlX34Ps9BftkpFeN1qJ2VIq0D2z
H-86rWS7iEPr3i5Sxl3xNmKt6vbE2Ke2W4H-L27hiOGnlPjjLHXtRrdK-FaJfSqlvu5pUGZxg0zTk3CUojCZOSRbgf66NVKP3RurviR8u7wYcXby6b89lDe0VfxaL2IBiNqsNTCr

Kara here: I agree completely that without the explanations of these signs or some real preparation for the Sistine Chapel, you’re not going to really get all that much from the experience.

FpWX_GDhmKl-EpJaQMv29qCJY8ndgZpefWbRufaSCIGz906myEJd3dxB6INgOuHwgCCYtd-YlQV-c11BmQMzstoGwm_nYmlGwaoGAZkC4Tu21dexwFszizs65ene3X6NUAd7plTQ

Next we were back inside to another “skip the line” point, but still had to traverse through the expansive galleries. (One in our party lost contact with one or two of their four girls, which caused a delay. FYI - tour guides are not your babysitters!)

MurObZXSh8W8pZ2xInrrUlhzcOURx_d3HIfMyM2oOVtVX35ycBHBkUNiz9SYXTXAs2mBQh1HNViEu8HI7l4xp11QxytWxpNVdKxRKtzCJbNzd4KnKEJty0CmySpOXLd4O0vnQiWW
dp6v5vC0W0MSaIpcTplktg_rt1kHnb6D2bq9lr8hR1-cGZquR5oSMxb3NKUFvCHD4hWju1SRxrSDPUS0WhP6sYBi4sYf9CySzxR0nnG_RL_Ikij4WUL3QkMgzHe0SawuJ9nOyh5H
iqqH4KLfTDqTvlnAPT7iruAR_CzmMGuBbKExmXkmG5y56qFkR-pMh5wFNGpbjp1bkKUaM4w_wYfOpFc38cl1sZdu_yX6smC6x3E5DNvB7N3HmWHh6g5MmwaqK-amUVXsirD4land

We were informed the ceiling art is simply lat painting, but they appear 3D! Talk about masterful historic art techniques! Note what looks like “tape” across the giant crack!

This brought us to yet another “skip the line” into the Sistine Chapel. We were there for only about 10 minutes and it was lighter in there than I recalled.

Kara: The three galleries we passed through were candelabra, maps, and tapestry. The tapestry where Jesus’s eyes follow you - FREAKY! While I tend to enjoy museums like this a little more than Gayle, the Disney Cruise Line Blog should go one step further and say that if you’re an introvert or you actually expect to be able to look at something and enjoy doing so while in the Vatican, you’ve come with the wrong expectations. The next picture truly captures why while I’m glad to have visited the Vatican, unless I’m enjoying a private audience with the Pope, I have no need to return.

Ho3FLH8gfaZzbwfSvM1GU1zSYFjzVdp-RvzwokcRPVpk7PiSC6_s3DQBNUvxkvPeX2AnuW9No9xOCzdwy2os1Kan65UDzPRAMN3lviNgViNw3l_JqQGZ6C_cHwkbDKYZXyWLUef7
5qICgwx4tOVyGRcWE5YwxN-YjVLMGKCEiGiA7DVoEgDQXl1gpFArojzX1E_GdaSB6whvEDs8ZCcBaBkEIeiHMYZIE0KKGh9RdonRXXEZin7KD9tvEqHh_PthmNsIjntVj6SWGgYg

From the Sistine Chapel we exited almost directly into St. Peter’s Basilica, where our guide pointed out the key highlights. (I was personally relieved at this. Last time I did the audio guide, and like Westminster, tried to do the whole thing. Yet, the monuments here are great in number and I easily lost track if I was looking at the right thing!) We finished around 1pm and were directed to meet back in front of St. Peter’s by 2:45pm.

Kara: I tend to love visiting churches. I’d go back in a heartbeat to nearly every other church I’ve ever visited. There was absolutely nothing reverent or inspiring for me about the shear audacity and grandiosity of St. Peters.

BXEuSo8WvzeJDUEoWdQHZqP5bevIpnQvv58VKBdejMu7Z4FmjHdDbeJBDbUHomv0KeSG6rANNKhqy0JOIRTQEEMke7mJhcNBm2E4SAm2I8FO752QcHNmk5SoC-1yieeKH_oh90Dk
KcAPafC-pr-toUeMyHrbnBxCDw2Pi5NtomRQOlbBJCHL9kVveqgDCoDRafMm8dyH3gHlpWCI7rc9sTXrm8u3gtLNC34lHcr70PtMWps7Y60yU-NQQ35NNOLDyPbuekICzjhCzSMJ
WePXhlL92oDm1_XCMsGMj599_GjFhNzLuqsmjOLs0QxRU2LHCK_C_qmNi9AiEZbrCuzBYeVzeCIDbdXikejXUq6c7zLgXYn6BHy2kV2JaBw7_X7orKqiLiCvGIGzUNrqLNrRn58p
Wx7Va04eH8l95-7vAaw_n1ryER2560MBs1ZLjz8Jb7AaqC925KlN4Dvy_DlUdxi4-dNlpqzgRidUkiCS1fPk05u8ReRP_ySWFwHqIUjNvZTC9_c1SMe8AYvzvJY5cbsdBIIUdVzo
WGROr3QQxJ_xqLnFwVisz6V56b6fU6XYxKAx5r0UhmoYcuQcWDeeH5FqdI38EiDin66XeIyE8V8HonPdt5WTF9AVuYdhHVeOp_vGJ2RzUMZuWygZfb7cv_SV-qOsAE_Mld62Pdna

Kbxcf1zhTC8udCjG-woBIXAAuaGbtT8KT0WqI8vCOxnmQjoIPaKEla6ktLmhHLVmG_6FBmvFaQii-lCjqnfeGk0atv_32CCpfu0zJk-drmEzzX7K-B7Ksfc06Sl7-xSZyeKMdb9N

Zavb6uAhC2enyaVh4A_IZ3F2RkjH-ehrSfhkl5u4QvZaMmjnwFQ2U0rJTVjWN-Hs6JRLvpEn8josM7zSnIWBBvKM83m7KVeQDdLPOoy9-gBqm784__g6QGJrFzEyrS89XQrWiFlo

End Rome Part 1 - Continued in Rome Part 2

Rome - Part 2!

Knowing of this free time, I’d prepared for us to grab a bite to eat. Employing my offline map we sought out the nearby “Alice” for pizza. I’d searched for “good pizza near the Vatican” since we didn’t have a ton of time and thought Kara needed to experience “street food”. While waiting for Kara to get the pizza from this walk-up restaurant, a pigeon “poo-ed” on my backpack! Luckily I had supplies to clean it, but these birds were really aggressive in trying to snatch our food. On top of this the pizza was bad. Really bad. (I have no idea how this “restaurant” was highly rated.) So I felt guilt for leading us here.

Kara: The staff was also not pleasant at all. I didn’t think the pizza was really bad, but it definitely was just food - nothing special.

Next we ventured a few more blocks to Old Bridge Gelateria for yes - gelato! (After our Alice experience, I was scared!) It was another traditional walk-up establishment directly across from a Vatican wall. Kara ordered mixed berry, strawberry, & lemon; I ordered dark chocolate and strawberry. When I tossed a tip in their jar, the guys Dabbed! LOL! This gelato was YUMMY (if slightly overpriced - but location, you know) & more than made up for the terrible pizza!

Kara: Back when we decided to do this trip, I tried valiantly for about six months to pick up enough Italian to at least understand the basics. I wasn’t confident but I was really pleased at how kind everyone was as I tried out the language and how gentle they were in corrections of pronunciations. Both Luigi the day before and the guys at the gelato place were really nice to patiently let me try Italian. Nothing like my experience in Paris a few years back. Also, a note for a future trip should one ever occur to Rome - there is currently a great little sandwich and pasta shop right next to the this gelato place.

ki5VJ7y9p0Jdu4RZ-_kM3TcRgTGX7wiKVhVPbwPQN-GfaTFzORYvZ2_m41C-4Q8cjbR7HlCQ3CjnzYfsMnsEjqg5FsD5LynbEbpuJ3tje9Hj3a-FwMatpTd5AdbXoMZwyCKp-1FJ
2ZXHCb7c_O7fnJUJCJfOO1g7CB_YE5A99H80qk7dHrKtm8RIZ6IEqcz0rsicOrDVtd-ngjvSi5G2zUk6PVEt3mLZtPLNgQ_-FZNW6EsoVFTos7iRxhAXe9hhpbotZ93m59c7R5_m

R_3kFtYnZsUV-Rfa8REinmQPzGYK6mBXdpsF3ueuafdbYyfmiYNRoG4EcJy61YmDt83gRe471BBPFDSzAbAizwxjtEa0TeY5dDeopuvGRAxYtnSErbrM4HQ9zEdhwb7IZb95X93l

We returned to our meeting point (one of the official gift shops) where Kara picked up a number of items and I purchased needed postcards.

X1f4Bx1wNDtrKwXNArY3NKng7w4w4C2grWxIYHrcwI-qRdBAybBq-Yo5JiTDUtY7zHJNFxJCTQH6CP1Xr0_3omaMaCCg89PSd87lSgrgQvmOFm53L-P9-iTpKbhh3I3P3z2IMxez

(A bracelet Kara bought me - to match my nails, of course!)

Due to the high tourist area, the streets surrounding the Vatican were full of pickpockets and street vendors pushing everything everywhere. We felt like a full picnic basket (especially with my checkered dress print) sitting on top of an anthill! Our guide finally led us to the Vatican’s “bus parking garage” and even here we endured musicians asking for money.

Sidenote: We invested in our first pairs of Chacos for this trip - wanting a sandal that would support a lot of walking. Since I customized mine in all silver metallic, and “when in Rome”, I took to calling mine...

GAe1cSZKxfZdC5AS1Vwuu3wAOL1HR-f-RwN76yaGEumDF8BAu2XfJq6CIFiENlNgFYySkLS7--pdC7nqcUw0JiThvqC97jtBceYQb7N7TnOMxVCIibvCMYrZyp7n6QSkIbjXJ8YA

At 3pm we began our panoramic drive through Rome, some sites I had seen, but not others. We were back on the ship by 5pm. (This port is HUGE and crazy! It must have taken us nearly 10 minutes to get to the ship after entering the port!)

BltSKGeA58kaHE5chSGwjVNmsQb1_DSBEFSGqxVrRH1XW1_UifM015nkcv1eeNUZStrA5HJq3yGWsN6-f1kGpSjeKkmHlRxh-RuFjMs_OsamRhgyA2i9cR9H6WG968dN6WGyMPO-
fkzi8wyaULcj1pQkRU1gUc0Y7YLz9fNLtS-libZ7Zuf54d2FhfXlec6eDQcGD2n7bFPHBOrawrs3sSbPLekobOZEazOgWLWuXdt6lyeJE-6YAF7owYfmEjm1tGMRuj733It92W0w
JPoZpfYrBQxd0kU_cT1gRTj2sX-VSaB7CBY3AXvkIK4i5-YLXmDVtOMFT2bqnXwLPlz2GI3WTXbK93GVw_Aa8O96YgAbXoU9FptBoiVNK2bKDgmlVurgWHfM1l7rTooWpwQ0t1hG
LHNxfjLfVE6XwLux4nRxaHCVXdMoqZ47jJfUhZJN5vbgzLawta7adohL_AX9dbxDgENzexNnvO8E-Jk6Pj8HJg2l_Joze2rnYds8URv_ztML8NWHcz2-1f-jE7fY4mul21_gJMi5
PmRPTTjNMeT5sBdhNYy0FTPmAqbYGBIGZXqfUYibdLMbF0hb7tC7pTib_gkYWb-pOgNd1foqxbgF6v0ZMlCP69wiTcLqM0x_KCo4ECp3pEMU42dxJUyZ_lRO4Biss6b_fzz7yofb
7KRNkz0EhJ0R-BJCdCYv9E4JN3rFLabanZUEu2MYhaqLEdq2nSCTq1WkAkQBycljBrizE3NcSK2yvzQWsidM9psHZG4eSCnJS2dFeIjCg0hLMwzN_643X81yNqbKhH1rxLgbRyT9

FTxHY71cNgS8OrY96AZLiQvhFRQdzM1jqdhj_8WLutYXDtQo2eopdaisBWUxBr0iMO7AfqXYTBZonWO_OaSnMhjP8ZOrXEz5EUZM4INIBofNAGHEH5mndZjCwlAfEYCe2sMmP45j
4Ewy6zCdrn9Fkkpd0kZm2D28PKhmGvKsbaNsDPwDbWXmpOrJndnh8qOulWYT-1VtwLt7gTHfrT-mJAtY5uDqT-tspv_T7LxtaEnqVBoFSfsVhguiapp5FeDtNYo7ovJsatvUbVJd

Kara: As this was my first visit to Rome, I was looking forward to the tour part - even though it was just a bus tour. G and I are both watching the CBS show “Blood and Treasure” this summer and the pyramid was featured in it. Gayle is right about how enormous the port was - the last two photos are ones I grabbed as we were driving back into the port.

GS3zjUuKs8NwRsSh7QpCEoMYCvBbNcsnUO4JgjIKPWNddMj9M8SmcytI50VX1WIqCFMu161fowGgSQXHK4pntiykZZx1eQktJvUwi5N68o-3LQYCZMxPNzbENOQXMt8wIB_0W9n8
740YD3wt_kJiMVEHtl1JzMqTu6mghEHGdgnzLz0f7WVwtboh6x8aHPHZIo7erV1eqCceZAgjPSJwKakvr9TAVV33H1qxiEIiZ-1g3tBwSaRH1MbZaBljuTNPZtvYRFO6HP9WpiqD

Back in our stateroom we found some delectable “VIP” cupcakes from our new bestie Zoe.

2qKhDiOaUrV88Bi_JcevQZaU_6zyBjJZzjTLBmSOiwM0ADJt_TzkxjiMjccF4r7li46bH8xqbdG3c95L80UuJVeskbCg8QW2yLh_JgfxJhoBx9-X6WWq3zE4IyzTcJrX6bbQU8d8

Tonight’s dinner was back in Lumiere’s with a new international menu (World of Flavor) we’d never experienced. I made no notes about this and only remember not being impressed. I believe my main course was disappointing salmon; the buffet salmon from embarkation day was better.

tbHGSODMp4buuDIXrgzaOmdFVuRBqJthV0W8zOchaI36liWfkPQ2ZqMfWNaZhq9ieD_XVS17pROsj__Bwx5bmhzcB7sUvNvvFNTXPIkEosSnJuIh4iq4hzEpUcHVSU6MkkeCU5q9

Tonight Kara ordered some hard cider, which they brought in a bottle. Not a beer bottle, but rather more of a full wine-size bottle. Okkkkk. The process worked the same that they would re-cork it and bring it back for the next night’s dinner.

1ESk5jEGCe_NHBF4tghzs4voqduxVYGreQMekmE0-wiVRCI_4s2DTiHhe0ryLs06VpOvSgnmT4fNN-Suf3fl7cIIOtDHecWh2E5XMworwk3cMc0e-qLrtHaQVbUW9TmQjCNIk4Kq

The Beef Empanada was actually quite tasty!

op77ywl4ljmcL2fmhJis1cp11E9zXRbaoO4Y3a7CHSP_Oepl3Tyq_KaPtokWUxPxi6zCcmMcQQYumJ3HIQhPfDHnZZZDr1Q5kEq0ABwcGsPhF0qxRRxckLs5N57EucJAGLovDXJR

The ship’s Cheddar Cheese Soup will never compare to Le Cellier’s, but pretzel bread is always appreciated!

lcxaH1Uv43QpZvBdvFZaoBElSepuPExAO2XGM958_NLVHgRCa_5MKua__LIaJ88qSfTA86uyGNOMpsyOGtXMgpBpkpviqHSEgFmvgu74xPw94PEv-OfQtMv8TUH4sCFSU10z5MEA
pYYN-Pa0gLck-KeTLw-HR1jySi3P5D2-GK3mr146V2dTUZC8tRNVvGBek4r3EVPqufO7YCgat8YZMNvgB0zkgl93nSQ-I7KjBBkBq1Pp3EhT6IUw3yZJCTN6XgH-N-4RHfmagelF
NjcOckEqQzzE519selrHnlEMBZkPAZpTWbN-z9fPDXNwSodP7ILVFh_yn2Jcj8RfkWFwVS47D5jcMBfHLa4NFG3rb-eRlFyAqfPfSLs-QDCcJ6tu7sJRej7I7oAWnIh23oifTEJ2
3SDKWX0PKS0pqzuDNf_-5OjZ7lEdTCZ1FUU2PtKm4hc-bNsdyGaLausjfp-zCIRVtGH3GtEsr-TuwFw5C6-UY4OIGPh6hfY3R9yYBs_PI0JPZAPbMPGf3IdavAIICVp3tUif4EJQ

F2wsNLntpTi8cmoz672vs2_HB0I8ktHQmXx9viBdutrOqtdShKTrM2x4Wub026okZ57UgHQkJc_VIZYsTuaB0M-fuA3OjvWv3EGuTJIHG0m_s30WFx1qFmhuU6n7grJPxOxe8t4Y

The Sundae was also quite good. (I would have gotten the Sacre Torte, but don’t care for apricot.)

E8iSgSEGkRUwZRRmIYvIZAwsyGxQY_puNUKvflPa5Vah48GhYyzSNW4Eqqq0Gaq2nrD0CKYrU60PIav0EwA5MKDZopqgp071aS29mYufjPlgUcpZYswDhHOTUbcIhyCL7Mdr_QpX

Kara’s normal dessert selection.

We completed our post-dinner tendency of getting ice, shower/hair, and ordering Room Service for cookies (& tonight “chocolate cake”, which was actually mousse, so Kara was NOT happy. Are we confusing this with a previous night???) For some reason the ship left 45 minutes late.

The evening show was “Junnk” (similar to “Stomp”). We’d seen it before and due to our busy schedule decided to watch it on the stateroom TV since they show the nighttime stage shows on the in-room TVs. Lesson learned: They apparently only show the Disney original stage shows (pre-taped) on the TVs, so no show for us!

Tonight was Pirate Night. As much as we wanted to embrace this cruise-specific offering and as the only cruise line having fireworks at sea, Pirate Night is a BIG DEAL! Yet with dropping temps, a wet/rainy environment, and notable winds, Mother Nature was prompting us to stay inside. When we saw the party didn’t start until 10:30pm (& knowing the fireworks wouldn’t go off until almost 11pm), we didn’t even try to pretend we were going. Instead we were barely able to stay awake for the fireworks, which we watched from our balcony (something Disney Cruise Line tells you NOT to do for safety). Yes, I broke a Disney rule. EEK! It’s the only one I break (& do so consistently. SHHHH!!!) We also know which side of the ship to reserve our stateroom just for this reason!

Next up: Florence, Italy!

Florence - Wednesday, May 29, 2019

While our PA call time was “only” 9am, we’d stayed up late for the fireworks and still had a 7:30am alarm. Sigh.

QGX6QjQ0xqbWSQDiovZVm6wzI2_WfK3-cL797AQN_wgCOhu_wcdYsZYO14eaPdq1nsBGtkB8Vtzna--XSbWKke_QvZcuOt0c4fIyt4auHiDIUKJ0R3qU0skqLxXaNrdTWaF8D39X

Speaking of, our PA was:

Cooking lesson at Castello del Trebbio (LV95)
This is the PA we were both most looking forward to!

Today we were in a smaller “charter bus/van”, as there were probably only about 12 people on our PA, including one Cast Member (Bella from Mexico). It started sunny with a forecast of a high of 68F & partly cloudy; thus, I was in my planned short black & white polka dot dress. It rained on the way to our location, making it a solid 2 hour drive.

We were definitely in a hilly/rural area of NE Florence - pretty much what I had envisioned (minus the rain, of course). We passed many paper towel and paper product manufacturing plants, as the area is known for this along with various plants, nurseries, and landscaping businesses. Our guide educated us on this being an area of Puccini’s birthplace, where Michaelangelo died, and near both Ferrari and Fiat. We were told of the joke Fiat stands for “Fix it again, Tony!” (I’m sure my dad would have gotten a kick out of this, as he worked his entire life at Chrysler, which is now owned by Fiat.)

P9BoMtE3NLm_29nCyZrSUrBLoNr4HTB74V1TcwgndbeWm1PcTTHVUxgAFrommxMz0qZBELUlbGrCVNbOjgCTVYXSLS6qU0K_ss02nhcUutYygvdIUf-GN5dDkJqtANHENGJz4QXZ

Upon arrival at Castello del Trebbio we toured the underground wine cellars of the castle; it reminded me of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” attraction!

0CCdcvQ1drq8FS8lzIw_7uzWR88kdmXPKF4S3zhfSef2APlfz56BmIbLuYH9U2ru7ef5CvYd8k1nJLyAvNyMoxAOMFk2y7TupMwFmUNBzMLNhyjSWU4p6yPettIG9LRoQU1rbOWo
VRj5uyoremUnb_jsbVg-sNT5GN7OnUTP1szV2sSSbQZNviDWVJPWqgBEYb9QCL1ng5yKts8Ik8YMCzA24oaxtVc3fpd1LgmexAimocxar9EDaRtEhN3VH9eFFhbVSM2DZ7KU7v21
43Yd4FN363mEUniiivxtuQv0Qc6XrQrNSlwEMiGLXEdfqBCUpzFgizT8aUcCsSbTA21UucVSebe7cfA02rSUae2Pq_0IL9hYOcUT8M_QKsNYOgPEudOLf9tFkXN5jSVsqxmePZab

Then we entered the outer courtyard before going into the family residence (where photos were not permitted).

gDGtmtT8H85uwkP3xeNp5WPZM5vtxBdrf6tOsPtfoV3DY0Tur09HpGhRIrDIR5rV-zpKB8QZFGMfVzES_kiK_Uj1QDnTBCxdYbbhkEy6A90n-G7iZoN6IzS8DKjmK0Z2wEc2sAlR

Inside, more than one of us remarked we were expecting “Beast” to appear at any moment, given the age and decor of the castle.

vppjCIy9oPMDPLegpSjP6nqSzTW-Hj90pPQxdAXGyL9Vljbi4Xdp-pPvsjusEnO_pofHwiThBlpNJX5dY-QNw6CxFVElzY--zIKoLlZVaCHNptyWU-iD3ojJYhF-OVkIlk9b3Ztp

In the kitchen proper we were offered aprons and we eventually determined each of us would take a turn at preparing part of the meal. Kara eagerly jumped at the chance for the first volunteer opportunity in making the pasta dough.

Kara: Let me just cut in right here. I was SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED for this PA. The first line from my journal, which I wrote on the bus on the way there was, “We’re going to go cook in a castle!” So, naturally, I must expound a bit here.

First, I’ll add a little more about the Castle. It began in 1150 as a fort. One of the cellars we toured was the original dungeon complete with hooks in the ceiling. In addition to learning about wine we also learned a bit about olive oil - I wish I’d taken better notes!

CdNGtRmOHWe7MWb9odm9-VmVjZxTu-YhPd609vXOihKwirZgq3aCkL6-phrlLxtzHVXabblWqjsf40A6B3dXCnH0TXAea4eiwMcN-uwlwiYfDlu8kV7GqlWaJ7PtiZ0aPgAxfMkF
WuHuvOudKqTCa2lvBY-5_Gwd889TMBFQrAToWfxdmY6U17-zXihTvfEASJNgK0hambUEHnsG5JREUyf_Us8-iSM8vqpnsYKldjTTWbiISiNo65PW8KzwbYadq49nKab7Su0AMBlE

The lady of the castle, Ana, inherited the castle from her parents. She and her family live in and run the businesses associated with the castle.

Now, let’s talk about the cooking. We all donned aprons. I made sure we were closest to the chef. When the chef asked for a volunteer, I practically leapt from my spot! I got to make a ball of pasta dough using the ratio of ½ c flower to 1 egg plus a bit of EVOO and salt. I uncharacteristically got an egg shell in things but luckily the chef grabbed it back out.

CaTxgtzq2i5kMsN1fRjUGTVRIhVmB7_lZ1PHEPKjOb2kLn31PXttwoiAVqM1ZfNglVzuX__mUhoU0gdfbhbVIMfi37E9uINSIbBbGeQtAkfusjPLsn3kZpPkOAYLd5b4PmgqJaoV
s9okkPvMhxzdeMuqRgj25R1G0vfIPJW25XYQKfBLExUBvRN_M5XEpUAmQLpWv0YMKw3hULDdviGRxYfbGddGrnLT3mNnnusgJJIGiJSvypfPZ-n9gehGqcnUonOf8ARacu9CEM4F
_NymGJ72BQMfp__Y7ymxesBhqt2OhdzXaWiFklGqByl9jX1yGniDBA2b2ZTflLsviRU7-6WqZZnzEdAl8R9kSMqD9cfpNZgMskAJsBI7KJI_7Gb7xb5p-rue_HmcOcnBxhWsMLL0
dBorS22T8yJsrnkP2GR3T2wImZdDc0nTXUCqrKjFp4SsU_Ir7QuMEei83Ayw8xeFbmuGekkOk_L3gPpllQdcXZF_jIb3ES2hBeVNlKgksuUCofBT8houeObF_cFDKK9Saoula0-y

Most people took turns rolling, stretching, and then cutting a ball of dough that the chef had made before we arrived as it needs to sit for about 20 minutes before you do all of that. No wrinkles, no holes, all one thickness with nothing more than a large rolling pin.

Then it was time for the sauce!

QvjaiF9WVZV6rrHQHo6HJexXAA0u6wagnzGjSTWy1CS16q5eSBTXqBAdeMPILbSmDPvntLem2zme1RqI0zOYhJ5TkHldfCx3s6Uf2TAdJHmx8XGhQj8d2rcVrRihocpRoKp8dcxw

Gayle: I eventually got drafted (after slinking back in line) to saute (just stir!) the veggies for the vegetarian sauce. Kara volunteered again to try cutting the noodles.

7zXtXoCRXu_X0FVWe3OPFkf-3fUBmArwkqPEmNlMXsyigGFZxqoEoMDbKJO8J2KzBkw4adUaUI4rtDsnW7cHVmr-QNVkSZKMzPdWHlkn4jmwMsoGBKhy5d8JVFocU6Sw_txDiwii

Noodle Cutting Video

We then sat down for a wine tasting; appetizers of salami, cheese, bread with extra virgin olive oil, & olive crostini), both pastas (veggie & meat sauce), and a dessert wine. The food was good, but given my artificially-accustomed American palette, firmly believe the food in Palo was far better.

NUoWJfJOna9vGHV16WuVc-jI8-iTqyuTCrFFw1UvokVnuRD4D9CT9j-G_VwTAjKKgOoHsvVj2J-0IpFPknMx-MXs0ITTnr_CBMcZNvpmLsh1dxjtLaBD9nfwVzZR1HEgbKyUIY3Y
UWbVqdxQ_44U3sKzfwcbzzbhsY19trEa39wfhAlPZ8hsNCeEwjzYYGVNhPxTX21fblo2tQY2Y0gmhHwXF8v5bvq7carlUUqEBTH7paI96CmNTEyOc9XgfDCfiyln1w_tqtfvw_3h

Kara here. Don’t get me wrong - I ADORE Palo but this was, without a doubt, the freshest pasta I’ve ever had in my life. I don’t even want to think about eating box pasta ever again.

yhxan20vWMpWFyONRoHZg3FcIsaKe4cZDen6v6XSnovTDh37Bfl0Ae0ZeqDSfPx4c48OiADMCNIdekBFWhJlmFNTJZNFgzRk1QsGzREMmUg-VNzXZSvp6cHBhJi40R2_oQYEbSH8
RAymWggI93HQmuoK7Ss4VtlM1NowwxIjFjS0Aa6zL1wb6i2gHwNsyRt78hnb9T_9J8FJXVYrh2OzcAWcJqJ8i1NrYjQEVE8nPSFiInxQHKfJZB3if_K4UF6MeFgpnKSBUf8dvFX8
g5nGTPeAViaNlfvvfLSKIUgDIYeAPHfl2BAQ79teHAdaK8_9DdHtr1Ghrzls1ebY7_Pa1Xn1uTZtGMeA7XwzU2bhtJVqRxTP1yyaKVV51NICowhkju2JX_zEBPXHcR3MKIA0b77b

Luckily it was now sunny, but windy. I was able to get a couple of good hillside pictures.

CT0IbV7Lmh7MSWcwnpU9wZzq0Ij31BTUAwgTyaDHWDUdF3jZ4TtmcqsOJkoiqNtybTzadd2dWksfJDvIW95YGsIJg26Hn9WqPK92dyTDuFsFOO2aHqQQe_vBd6V1G2eoQllHDNOR
PQzJ4SZTtJB2hBy8W7E28DaYIpASIKA7EUDNBKogsAxOtThyGhGFQDM1k4IlysDPzn0Dx5s-JiiQ_1NJwyw3dsFlQkLaD6o8bZGM3WbpalLlILpyKcCFyBEUTV7ZwQO-iRflouk3

xaaHJUREzeObqySfj7r7hJw3_l3b4IjV-J4oVg9jN3aVKW28QJmP4gNjZhsr8UE0n1bPVmZt97xyqiTdg924ntxFhtk7CK0q8RhQwQOi4AQbC8R4gtaIySNgs3K_Thce30kBUmwX

(This photo really reminds me of “Disney-Pixar's Cars 2”....)

Then it was back on the bus for the long trip back.

3v7WVGa6D3CrH4Czzu_jxnuBGOtWMR7GseFXKNkhLOqFV4ziAnqFuGluZjY_N8ujaMUjGB_gssIURTc_Q056a297G8KTkf50dEliBXUyvvDszz5K33Q6xTXiKbAyi5EVeZPgXowq

The closer we got to the ship the harder it rained - an honest to goodness downpour. Luckily I had my rain jacket with me and bolted back onto the ship by 4:30pm.

Kara: I checked in at home by GroupMe, caught up on journaling, and napped on the way back to the port. We also had a member of the Creative Services team on our PA, in addition to Bella. I never did manage to get his name but he had some cool stories about working for Disney I enjoyed listening to as I journaled and watched the Italian countryside pass us by.

(I believe the Creative Services team was onboard rehearsing and talking about possible new stage shoes for the ships.) Our VIP snack from Zoe was nuts & olives. (Not sure either of us consumed any of it. Ick.)

jGrZ5uIxuN2libm_KhqS03E6eL5lbqHhl4XpwrZzJg5BBF-Hr1pu6nrNGPzIiXG_E0hr5G8MFQ1tgYLlTR8wclJVmDn6WO54ln0Wj2xUBPjeXNNMtltbKz0viaQBElfiKylATjTO

Kara: Pretty sure I ate all of it :-) Once the rain stopped we did get a few nice photos!

ACiZ-COltz4vmjv6Sg-pyaqzRx40-QeHMoHsUzLW3jtN77Ie3cG--RIhOoGhTr_Vqt_eplxui3qw82wq2kCWe-yZm9EvQSn2rKWX4MGdPQ2S8gIvbH98_LKaogVJbWsPX-jte1Fw
RJd90ht5qvi8_4ONixFO9aSegAEvEb66GNITrfmHspXfXqOnvCMcPDPpTPv-PcvWRYFdsxQAyqbdLEBPrDNv6eeFmWeQdJRGhRlsFxoi7ki5Yzm6-VHh1gEiHFeRrSkwOs0Cbe6N

mB4HxYeDEQJd6q4LsBrOtJL8YOFZqw9jzVKEa1_1PZmX6R8zVeEY6vy2l65quHG8g6IB2r4rhYFF6t-NrxaqUsiGXCzdxczasSYPI0D-3oKtFp7CiWj80KNMEREVrF2Id_fA7d01

YPgBZRCqKb_M4a8Ao9glAvxb3gyVT39BfohMYCu7MoAY1psC_aaR1OmKqRZZ3FzT247cuPSLbSvoV3zN_rrjB6a15-9VTppwxCRuY34iQ68fnvJtKwkLp12YbsegUbBtyNH67rix

At 5pm we decided to skip our MDR in Animator’s Palate, as it’s our least favorite menus. Instead we finally got to the theatre for the first time on this cruise for the 6:30pm “Once Upon a Song”, a stage show I didn’t think I’d previously experienced.

ruOHgSkuBumOaLTqU_QbfMEH14homxQOmvDA64MhEnOlcAgRihetj9sY7Iux_chADRh2QriLaThTM5cZvPxTnZs5MQPGvCpArkDiFLz78HRMqwxXK5RZHLs0KRkDlAcVVF3Z8XDY

It was good, probably the most “adult” offering of a Disney stage show. It was mostly a serious musical tribute to some of the best, perhaps less-familiar Disney tunes. At the end I wondered how some of the little kids sat through it.

Kara: I truly enjoyed this show - it was extremely well done.

This allowed us to have dinner around 7:30pm in Cabanas. (I think it was closing at 8 or 8:30pm?) This is the first time I’ve had dinner in Cabanas in a good long while. I recalled previously is was a scaled down version of the MDR with table service, like a good training ground for new servers. This is not the case now, as it’s full-buffet on one side of Cabanas. I actually appreciate this so I can choose exactly what I want and how much.

Since we had another crazy early call time tomorrow morning, it was off to a relatively early sleep. I was SO glad this was the last night I had to “be good” and go to bed at a decent time, an “early bird” I will never be!

Next up: Monaco/Monte Carlo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter