DCL Muster Drill for Cancer Patient with Low Stamina

Sugarshock

Earning My Ears
Hey friends!
My mother in law will be joining me on a cruise this September. She was recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, and Im very concerned about the muster drill. Currently we don’t believe she’ll be permanently in a wheelchair at that time, but her stamina will be low, and I’m unsure if she’ll be able to stand for the whole drill. Has anyone else had this problem? What was the solution? Did you need to make special accommodations before getting on board?
Thank you!

Hey friends!
My mother in law will be joining me on a cruise this September. She was recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, and Im very concerned about the muster drill. Currently we don’t believe she’ll be permanently in a wheelchair at that time, but her stamina will be low, and I’m unsure if she’ll be able to stand for the whole drill. Has anyone else had this problem? What was the solution? Did you need to make special accommodations before getting on board?
Thank you!

Research your muster station some are in the theaters and bars and if you get there early you can sit rather than stand. I know that was a specific question we asked regarding our room on our next cruise and made sure our room was listed in the theatre mister station. If your room is on the deck call and see if you can change to another room with an inside muster.

Contact DCL and explain the issue with standing. They will accommodate her and assign her to a muster drill where she can sit.

I agree you want to contact DCL Special Services:
Phone: (407) 566-3602 or Email: SpecialServices@disneycruise.com

As PP mentioned, some muster stations are indoors. You can try calling to ask, but I also recommend checking the appropriate thread on the DCL Forum because sometimes the phone CMs aren't accurate.
Dream/Fantasy Muster Stations
Magic/Wonder Muster (Lifeboat) Stations

If your muster station is outside, I'd recommend bringing a wheelchair or rollator (walker with a seat). DCL may offer to provide one just for muster, but you may find she could use it throughout the cruise in which case you'll need to bring one with you. They can be rented for delivery to the ship if she doesn't already have one.

And prepare her for the noise! It is loud. I do recommend that you head to muster early so she isn't in the massive crowds (no elevator use during muster). The CM may dismiss her early.

Enjoy your vacation!

(moving to the main trip-planning forum)

Research your muster station some are in the theaters and bars and if you get there early you can sit rather than stand. I know that was a specific question we asked regarding our room on our next cruise and made sure our room was listed in the theatre mister station. If your room is on the deck call and see if you can change to another room with an inside muster.

How useless can a muster be if the muster isn't even about going to a lifeboat? Do they at least direct you to a lifeboat station so you know what to expect in case you need to use one? That would make me very nervous - having guests on board that have no clue how to evacuate!

How useless can a muster be if the muster isn't even about going to a lifeboat? Do they at least direct you to a lifeboat station so you know what to expect in case you need to use one? That would make me very nervous - having guests on board that have no clue how to evacuate!

The point it in an emergency we go to our muster which in some instances is inside. Not everyone fits on the deck. From the muster we will be taken up to the deck if evac was needed. It’s all the same information on deck as inside (I have done both and on deck there is nothing different except standing surrounded by lots of strangers) but for those with needs that make the deck difficult having the inside available is very helpful.

They cannot fit everyone on deck at the same time.

The ship itself is designed to be the "safest lifeboat" and evacuation off the ship by lifeboat would only be done as a last resort. ["Safe Return to Port" - see https://www.superyachtnews.com/business/red-ensign-group-produces-guidance-on-safe-return-to-port ]

If your muster station is indoors, you are told that if there were to be an abandon ship situation, you would be provided additional instructions at the muster station (theatre or wherever it is) and then when the time comes the evacuation teams would lead you from the indoor muster station to out on deck for evacuation. You are not told what your on deck station location would be -- plus, depending on the nature of the emergency that planned allocation could change anyway. During our last cruise we stayed on board in Nassau; during the day they had an extensive evacuation drill for the crew, which at one point included them stating that certain named muster stations were not available and them telling them to go to alternate locations. From what I could tell, they "took out" most of one side of the ship in terms of muster stations, including some indoor ones. It was fascinating to listen to [they used the shipwide PA system] and watch. Also, the other ships in dock that day were also doing a similar drill, so we got to watch and partially hear theirs as well.

IIRC, most muster stations are indoors.. ours was in one of the Dining rooms in fact. and at the conclusion, we exited the way we would have been herded directly to our lifeboat so we also got to see the physical location of where to go.

regardless, there is always a special needs station for people who cannot otherwise handle the drill standing. or just bring a wheelchair as that will come in very handy onboard and in port anyway.

She will be able to just stay in her wheelchair. No where does it say that everyone has to stand. In fact, our muster station has always been in one of the night clubs and they actually direct everyone to a seat. This will be a non issue. Enjoy your cruise.

My mother was in a wheelchair because she couldn't walk more than a few feet and they were very kind.

Muster was outside and we were off to the side. We were also dismissed before everyone else to allow us to get an elevator before the crowds poured in. They were great and made it painless for my mom.

I did a cruise last year with an ECV post knee injury. I agree with everyone else, it should be a non issue. The staff is very helpful, and dismiss ECVs and wheelchairs first so you don't get crushed in the crowd. The biggest thing is getting to your station before they call for the muster as there is no elevator use during the drill.

I would think the point of the Muster Drill is to
1) Have you practice what to do in the event of a real emergency
2) Prepare you for the fact that you need to do what they say, not kidding

So in a real emergency, you would put your mom in a wheelchair and wheel her to whereever you are supposed to be.

I would think the point of the Muster Drill is to
1) Have you practice what to do in the event of a real emergency
2) Prepare you for the fact that you need to do what they say, not kidding

So in a real emergency, you would put your mom in a wheelchair and wheel her to whereever you are supposed to be.
Depending on the nature of her disability, yes, that is exactly what you would do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!