DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

While I won't be disagreeing with you...
it's little like me complaining about the heat and humidity in the high summer.

If this was the middle of the winter I would agree with you but we haven't finished fall yet. These temps are about 20 degrees below normal.

A lie I can live with.
We did live trees for a long while and especially when the boy was small.
way too much fuss and bother these days.

Much easier up here, just grow it in the backyard. ;)

Much easier up here, just grow it in the backyard. ;)
So long as you leave them in the back yard.

Actually, they grow them all around where I live. there's probably about ten different tree farms in my corner of the county. Gong out on a cool day, picking just the right one, cutting it down and transporting it back home was always a grand adventure when our young'en was of the age where his parents could do no wrong and he wanted to spend time around us. Those days are long gone so all that remains of it now is work (and then the mess, increased fire hazard and post holiday clean-up required). Fake ones work better now-a-days.

Sad but true.

Really?
Wow...

All new is something that probably wouldn't happen in our house.
The tree is somewhat of a story book where the vast majority of the ornaments have significance and backstories.
We purposely want folks to ask us things like: "why the heck do you have that one up there"
The reminiscing is part of the attraction so replacing all of them on mass is not a likely scenario.

Correct.

All I am gonna say.

Morning all. Just curious - decorating the Christmas tree, is that something everyone does together a s a family? I'm asking because we're really struggling this year finding a time when all 4 of us are in the house and have the time to do it. I put the tree up Saturday but it's been sitting bare ever since. Oldest DD had university exams up to yesterday and was full on studying the last 2 weeks. Youngest DD has dance class every evening and Sunday afternoons. I'm working all week. And to further complicate things this year, DW picked up that part time job at the Hallmark store, so she's working at least a few hours every day and/or evening. I guess most busy families struggle with time management a lot, but we're finding it harder than usual this year. We've penciled in tonight to decorate, providing we just get a take out pizza and don't bother cooking/cleaning up from supper. Otherwise we won't be able to do it until Sunday night.

We get invaded by the kids and grandkids the weekend after Thanksgiving. Tree gets put up, tubs get hauled in and emptied. We watch old Christmas videos I recorded 30- 40 years ago. Good times.

A consideration to your live tree debate. What if someone is allergic? DW is. And, we realized that it carried over to Wilderness Lodge. Glad we didn't buy DVC there. :scared1:

You got it! Cheque's in the mail!

Sorry, USA needs checks instead. Go ahead and post your credit card information and I'll take care of it from there.

Morning all. Just curious - decorating the Christmas tree, is that something everyone does together a s a family? I'm asking because we're really struggling this year finding a time when all 4 of us are in the house and have the time to do it. I put the tree up Saturday but it's been sitting bare ever since. Oldest DD had university exams up to yesterday and was full on studying the last 2 weeks. Youngest DD has dance class every evening and Sunday afternoons. I'm working all week. And to further complicate things this year, DW picked up that part time job at the Hallmark store, so she's working at least a few hours every day and/or evening. I guess most busy families struggle with time management a lot, but we're finding it harder than usual this year. We've penciled in tonight to decorate, providing we just get a take out pizza and don't bother cooking/cleaning up from supper. Otherwise we won't be able to do it until Sunday night.

Tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving, which is a holiday for us and everyone participates. I usually haul all the boxes out from storage and get the tree up. DW and girls put ornaments on the tree. DW usually decorates other rooms inside the house. Girls and I do lights outside. With oldest working, she managed some of the activities but then had to leave for work.

Dude. I've been married for almost 30 years. The chances of me getting lucky... well... I'm guessing in 6 months...

!

Wow! 6 months!!! So soon!!! :lmao::rotfl::lmao:

Nice work! I am all about low-maintenance decorations. We have an artifical tree and I just leave the lights on it and store it fully constructed in the basement. If I could rig an automatic lift that raised and lowered it through a trap door at the touch of a button every year, I'd be all over that.

The amount of decorations has dwindled over the years. However, DW has collection of nutcrackers. So, I get to set up an army of nutcrackers every year. Yeah, insert all the jokes here. Laugh it up fuzzball.

I don't have a basement, otherwise that year round tree decorated storage sounds great. Was it the Simpsons who left the house decorated all year with Christmas lights with only 3 working? I'm always looking for future role models.

What if someone is allergic? DW is. And, we realized that it carried over to Wilderness Lodge. Glad we didn't buy DVC there. :scared1:

Whoa! Talk about dodging a bullet!

Sorry, USA needs checks instead. Go ahead and post your credit card information and I'll take care of it from there.

I'll wait until you check for the cheque and send it back to my Czech banker.

That's when the magic happens, baby!

What if someone is allergic? DW is. And, we realized that it carried over to Wilderness Lodge. Glad we didn't buy DVC there. :scared1:

Whoa! Talk about dodging a bullet!

I'll wait until you check for the cheque and send it back to my Czech banker.

Actually, they grow them all around where I live. there's probably about ten different tree farms in my corner of the county. Gong out on a cool day, picking just the right one, cutting it down and transporting it back home was always a grand adventure when our young'en was of the age where his parents could do no wrong and he wanted to spend time around us. Those days are long gone so all that remains of it now is work (and then the mess, increased fire hazard and post holiday clean-up required). Fake ones work better now-a-days.
When I was very young (a toddler) my parents had an artificial tree but it was horrible mid-70s plastic junk that looked terrible. Once they realized how bad it was, they went back to real trees. That lasted a few years until mom got fed up with the dry needles on the floor and by then artificial trees had improved. When I first moved into my own place, I got nostalgic and tried a real tree for a couple years. But it was honestly just a pain in the rear. I've had artificial ever since. Having two girls who are not woodsy, they had no interest in hiking around the forest to find a tree anyway.

Tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving, which is a holiday for us and everyone participates.
Thats a convenient holiday for you gents in the south, and a nice tradition.
We had always been able to find a weekend early in December, but DW working and oldest DD having university exams for the first time threw a wrench into it this year.

If anyone is wondering, we did find some time last night to partially decorate the tree. The four of us put up all the personal ornaments, the ones that have meaning or stories behind them (which at this point nearly fills the tree and I think is enough, but let's not start that debate). We left all the generic coloured balls and so on for another time, DW will probably just slowly add to it when she has time.

Morning gents.
Last overtime shift of the year for me.

Of course I have two scheduled for the first week in January. But that's next year, so I don't have to worry about it.

Gong out on a cool day, picking just the right one, cutting it down and transporting it back home was always a grand adventure when our young'en was of the age where his parents could do no wrong and he wanted to spend time around us. Those days are long gone so all that remains of it now is work (and then the mess, increased fire hazard and post holiday clean-up required). Fake ones work better now-a-days.

When I first moved into my own place, I got nostalgic and tried a real tree for a couple years. But it was honestly just a pain in the rear. I've had artificial ever since.

We were similar. When I was growing up, we had a live tree in the house. But the family tradition was always to wait and put it up on Christmas Eve. I never quite understood that, because I loved having it in the house and it didn't seem to make sense to put it up that late and then take it down maybe a week or two later. So when I got my own place, I tried live trees for a couple years. Twice we had them fall down in the house, even though I had put up wires to support them. So cleaning up that mess twice was enough to make me go the artificial route.

All new is something that probably wouldn't happen in our house.
The tree is somewhat of a story book where the vast majority of the ornaments have significance and backstories.
We purposely want folks to ask us things like: "why the heck do you have that one up there"
The reminiscing is part of the attraction so replacing all of them on mass is not a likely scenario.

We do that, too. Lots of history in the ornaments. We've picked up a lot on our travels.

Correct.

All I am gonna say.

Oh my...

I'd be considerable out of sorts as well.

Ouch. Me too. That's just brutal.

However, DW has collection of nutcrackers.

An ominous statement.

I don't have a basement, otherwise that year round tree decorated storage sounds great. Was it the Simpsons who left the house decorated all year with Christmas lights with only 3 working?

At some point, it transitions from being up too late to being up early for the next one.

:laughing:

We get invaded by the kids and grandkids the weekend after Thanksgiving. Tree gets put up, tubs get hauled in and emptied. We watch old Christmas videos I recorded 30- 40 years ago. Good times.

I thought this was you.

tumblr_m8o6dlyyBk1qmyzc7.jpg

Baby? There are ways of avoiding that.

:lmao::rotfl::lmao:

Joke (words edited for here):
Man #1 "I gave my wife 9 inches of loving"
Man #2: "How can you do it 3 times in one night".

If anyone is wondering, we did find some time last night to partially decorate the tree. The four of us put up all the personal ornaments, the ones that have meaning or stories behind them (which at this point nearly fills the tree and I think is enough, but let's not start that debate). We left all the generic coloured balls and so on for another time, DW will probably just slowly add to it when she has time.

DW has a Disney ornament from every year we have visit WDW, which is all of them since 2005. I ask her since we get a new ornament, then we can discard another ornament. Yeah, that's not even a possibility.

That's just brutal.

An ominous statement.

I counted 15 nutcrackers. Not sure how that # settled there. Anyway, I have nothing to fear since mine were taken away on our wedding day. :lmao::scared1::sad2:

:lmao::rotfl::lmao:

Joke (words edited for here):
Man #1 "I gave my wife 9 inches of loving"
Man #2: "How can you do it 3 times in one night".

I couldn't do it 3 times in one night, let alone 9.

I counted 15 nutcrackers. Not sure how that # settled there. Anyway, I have nothing to fear since mine were taken away on our wedding day. :lmao::scared1::sad2:

:lmao:

My ex-wife hated - I mean hated live trees. Of course for the many, many years since I only get live trees. She also loved Tinker Bell. Remarried with six wonderful kids who, for some unknown reason, seriously dislike Tinker Bell. :)

Tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving, which is a holiday for us and everyone participates.

Same here except for Saturday after Thanksgiving (pick of the bunch as Iron Bowl has everything deserted). We buy them as we have for a long time from a local scout troop. Think Christmas with the Kranks.

Happy Friday eve guys.

Randall ... Happy retirement day #whatever. I'm thinking days of the week will have way less significance for you now.

Pkondz...your schedule is so....well you never know what day it is, so happy whatever number day in your schedule.

So, everyone else, happy Friday eve! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter