DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Wow, that's awesome! If she can graduate without debt, she'll be in such great shape. That's my dream for my daughter but it's going to be a struggle.
though it 'only' paid for my summer housing and a small stipend between jr and sr year.. no tuition)
For clarity, I should probably put in context that Canadian university tuition is much less than in the US. Her part time job scooping ice cream for two summers paid for this year’s tuition, and she wasn’t making a six figure salary.
I have heard about the tuition fees in the US and it seems virtually impossible to come out of it without debt.
Living at home and just having to worry about tuition, she should be able to at least get her undergraduate degree with no debt.

Awesome, what the project?
So she’s doing behavioural neuroscience for her bachelors degree. I am still not sure what that is but apparently it’s a real thing because she has a jacket now with class of 2022 written on the sleeve.
Anyway she’s been working part time with a professor this year during school and the summer job is an extension of that. It’s psychology research and I can’t explain it much more than that. I’ve asked but I don’t really understand it. I do know they sometimes do work with rats in a maze, so apparently that’s still a thing too.

That is fantastic news! What year is she? Is she interested in going on to grad school?
Yes she’s talking about going to med school for psychology. Not sure if that will happen but we’ll see. At least she has goals.

Nice. Those RESPs are such a great thing to have.
They are. It’s something I’ve done for both girls for a while.
Something I never had when I was in university.
It was only last year I learned that if they don’t use all the money in the RESP it can be rolled back into my RRSP (except government takes their grant money back of course). There’s really no way to lose with them.

So she’s doing behavioural neuroscience for her bachelors degree. I am still not sure what that is but apparently it’s a real thing because she has a jacket now with class of 2022 written on the sleeve.
Anyway she’s been working part time with a professor this year during school and the summer job is an extension of that. It’s psychology research and I can’t explain it much more than that. I’ve asked but I don’t really understand it. I do know they sometimes do work with rats in a maze, so apparently that’s still a thing too.

So something like this

Happy Saturday. Watched Chelsea beat Dan's Spurs this AM and Leiceister City vs Man City later this day. An enjoyable sports day.

We don't have any style up here. I thought you were rocking the hat.

Morning, Gents!

Well, everything went well. Dropped the Mrs. off at 6:30 am at the hospital and waited with her until they took her in to surgery. I then, on her urging, I went to work, something I would have done anyways. There's no reason for me to sit around the hospital for hours getting nervous, so I kept myself busy. I did, however, leave at noon and went straight there to check up on her. By that point she was in recovery, still out of it, but she was doing well. Went home for a couple of hours and then went back to check in on her after she got moved into a room. She was still fairly groggy for most of the day, but I was able to carry on a conversation for a while. Unfortunately I got sick Wednesday night, so I called in sick the half-day I was going to do at work, and slept all day. I did manage to call my wife a few times and talked to her, but there was no reason for me to show up to the hospital sick and get everyone else infected...I felt horrible, but what was I to do. My mother-in-law and daughter went to visit Thursday afternoon, so that helped to cheer her up. Felt great Friday morning, so I got up and headed over to the hospital to find out they were going to release my wife that morning.

My DW's procedure was considered outpatient procedure. Surprised she stayed that long. Glad she is home and doing well.

For clarity, I should probably put in context that Canadian university tuition is much less than in the US. Her part time job scooping ice cream for two summers paid for this year’s tuition, and she wasn’t making a six figure salary.
I have heard about the tuition fees in the US and it seems virtually impossible to come out of it without debt.
Living at home and just having to worry about tuition, she should be able to at least get her undergraduate degree with no debt.

Yes she’s talking about going to med school for psychology. Not sure if that will happen but we’ll see. At least she has goals.

They are. It’s something I’ve done for both girls for a while.
It was only last year I learned that if they don’t use all the money in the RESP it can be rolled back into my RRSP (except government takes their grant money back of course). There’s really no way to lose with them.

I graduated without debt, and am encouraging my children to do the same. I think it's more difficult now, but still possible.

Morning, Gents!

Well, everything went well. Dropped the Mrs. off at 6:30 am at the hospital and waited with her until they took her in to surgery. I then, on her urging, I went to work, something I would have done anyways. There's no reason for me to sit around the hospital for hours getting nervous, so I kept myself busy. I did, however, leave at noon and went straight there to check up on her. By that point she was in recovery, still out of it, but she was doing well. Went home for a couple of hours and then went back to check in on her after she got moved into a room. She was still fairly groggy for most of the day, but I was able to carry on a conversation for a while. Unfortunately I got sick Wednesday night, so I called in sick the half-day I was going to do at work, and slept all day. I did manage to call my wife a few times and talked to her, but there was no reason for me to show up to the hospital sick and get everyone else infected...I felt horrible, but what was I to do. My mother-in-law and daughter went to visit Thursday afternoon, so that helped to cheer her up. Felt great Friday morning, so I got up and headed over to the hospital to find out they were going to release my wife that morning. Good thing I showed up. By noon we were home and she was in bed resting. Now for the long road to recovery. Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts, everyone.

I'd complain over this...especially if you have video proving the foul. It won't change the outcome of the game, but it'll show the refs are biased and maybe get some changes started.
Glad your better half is on the road to recovery. Just keep spoiling her.

We have the whole game recorded but there is no point in complaining. Appalachian culture is different in many ways. We aren't "Deliverance" level but it is different.

My DW's procedure was considered outpatient procedure. Surprised she stayed that long. Glad she is home and doing well.

OUTPATIENT PROCEDURE?! That's crazy! They took my wife in on Wednesday and didn't release her until Friday. Part of the deal to release her is she be able to take care of herself. In other words, can she get up and go to the bathroom, take her meds and what not. My wife was not ready to head home the day is happened.

Thanks, and yes, totally spoiling her. She's sleeping all day and I'm taking care of my little munchkin and cleaning. Oh, and if the Mrs. wants something, I get it.

We have the whole game recorded but there is no point in complaining. Appalachian culture is different in many ways. We aren't "Deliverance" level but it is different.

Still, that's wrong. Surely there's a governing organization that you could inform. If not, hit t hem hard the next time.

Morning, Gents! Another beautiful morning here on Cape Cod. The wife is doing great! Still a long ways to go, but she's making gains a little at a time. One thing I didn't mention on Friday is that I had a talk with my boss about my job. While next Friday, Feb. 28th is my last day, they are going to keep me by moving from inventory to purchasing. Now, this position isn't one that will go permanent, but it does keep me employed another month, maybe two. The one down side to this is I'll be moving desks to an area where people will be able to see me get online, so I'll probably have to stop getting online during the day, even during breaks, at least initially until I see how things go. So no Dis'ing for me once I switch positions. Either way, knowing that I'll have a job for another month or two gives me more time to really concentrate on my medical terminology course and get it done. Once I can get that done possibilities will open up for me in the medical field. Sure, it might still be difficult to get my foot in the door, but I'll have another skill set. Well, gotta run. I'm subbing for my wife today at one of her churches, so off to sing. Have a good day, everyone

Morning, Gents! Another beautiful morning here on Cape Cod. The wife is doing great! Still a long ways to go, but she's making gains a little at a time. One thing I didn't mention on Friday is that I had a talk with my boss about my job. While next Friday, Feb. 28th is my last day, they are going to keep me by moving from inventory to purchasing. Now, this position isn't one that will go permanent, but it does keep me employed another month, maybe two. The one down side to this is I'll be moving desks to an area where people will be able to see me get online, so I'll probably have to stop getting online during the day, even during breaks, at least initially until I see how things go. So no Dis'ing for me once I switch positions. Either way, knowing that I'll have a job for another month or two gives me more time to really concentrate on my medical terminology course and get it done. Once I can get that done possibilities will open up for me in the medical field. Sure, it might still be difficult to get my foot in the door, but I'll have another skill set. Well, gotta run. I'm subbing for my wife today at one of her churches, so off to sing. Have a good day, everyone

Good news for both you and your wife.

Great news on your wife, and on the work prospects. We just went through 2 years of my wife looking for a job, and were fully reliant on my income (which was not quite enough to stay in the black, unfortunately), so I know all too well how the prospect of being paid for another couple months can take some of the stress off. Best of luck on that medical terminology course. Some extra skills/certs/etc in your back pocket are always a good thing to have!

In other news, it is nearly 7pm on a Sunday night, and I FINALLY squashed the bug in my code that has been dogging me for the last 2 (3?) weeks. Client is relieved.. I am glad to be done with this particular issue, and now on to more feature implementation.

Morning, Gents! Well, it is officially Monday and that means the start of a new week. For me, that means I now play mom and dad while getting my daughter ready for school. Last night my wife texted me the instructions on what goes into my daughter's lunch. Let's just say this kid's going in loaded. When I was in school, I got a sandwich, a drink and some chips...that's it. This kid? She's going to school loaded! hahahha Well, have a good day everyone, and we'll chat with ya throughout the day.

Great news on your wife, and on the work prospects. We just went through 2 years of my wife looking for a job, and were fully reliant on my income (which was not quite enough to stay in the black, unfortunately), so I know all too well how the prospect of being paid for another couple months can take some of the stress off. Best of luck on that medical terminology course. Some extra skills/certs/etc in your back pocket are always a good thing to have!

Yes it is, and it was quite the surprise. I guess I've impressed them since I've been on board. For them to do this, and essentially create a position that's not there, is awesome! And as I said, it gives me more time to finish my studies without having to rush.

Morning Gents!

3 day work week and then vacation for me!!!

Hope you all have a good Monday as far as Monday's go.

Morning, Gents! Well, it is officially Monday and that means the start of a new week. For me, that means I now play mom and dad while getting my daughter ready for school. Last night my wife texted me the instructions on what goes into my daughter's lunch. Let's just say this kid's going in loaded. When I was in school, I got a sandwich, a drink and some chips...that's it. This kid? She's going to school loaded! hahahha Well, have a good day everyone, and we'll chat with ya throughout the day.

So sardines, pickled eggs, cottage cheese and a juice box??

Appalachian culture is different in many ways. We aren't "Deliverance" level but it is different.

That's all well and good, but if you hear banjos, start running.

Morning, Gents! Another beautiful morning here on Cape Cod. The wife is doing great! Still a long ways to go, but she's making gains a little at a time. One thing I didn't mention on Friday is that I had a talk with my boss about my job. While next Friday, Feb. 28th is my last day, they are going to keep me by moving from inventory to purchasing. Now, this position isn't one that will go permanent, but it does keep me employed another month, maybe two.

Glad your wife is recovering, and creating a position for you is a good sign!

There aren't too many better feelings in the world than that. Hope the time goes by quickly!

Top O the Mornin Dads! Pretty laid back weekend other than that nothing else of significance so enjoy your Monday.
Morning Gents!

Hope you all have a good Monday as far as Monday's go.
Enjoy the short work week and make sure Brian knows that he has to plug electronic devices in on the ship or they won't work.

So sardines, pickled eggs, cottage cheese and a juice box??

:rotfl2: That's exactly what she got for lunch. :rotfl2:

I wound up giving her a peanut butter fluff sandwich, some cantaloupe, mini bagel with cream cheese, fruit stick/peel and graham crackers.

:rotfl2:

Glad your wife is recovering, and creating a position for you is a good sign!

Thanks. Every day is a new adventure in pain and endurance. And even though the position isn't permanent, I'll take it.

Happy Monday. Made it into the office for a few hours and trying to keep dry with another rainy day. Pickleball the next two days and tennis Wednesday. Hopefully, I'll be able to walk Thursday.

::yes::

OUTPATIENT PROCEDURE?! That's crazy! They took my wife in on Wednesday and didn't release her until Friday. Part of the deal to release her is she be able to take care of herself. In other words, can she get up and go to the bathroom, take her meds and what not. My wife was not ready to head home the day is happened.

Mine had a partial, maybe that's why. Glad to hear your wife is doing well.

Another month of employment is a good thing.

I like the banjo, just not the Deliverance banjo. We have the International Bluegrass Music Museum here, for the 10 fans in the world that like Bluegrass music. I like a few songs, but can mostly do without it.

I wound up giving her a peanut butter fluff sandwich, some cantaloupe, mini bagel with cream cheese, fruit stick/peel and graham crackers.

I just put $ in my children's accounts at school. They just threw away anything healthy away that I packed. :sad2:

Well, everything went well. Dropped the Mrs. off at 6:30 am at the hospital and waited with her until they took her in to surgery. I then, on her urging, I went to work, something I would have done anyways. There's no reason for me to sit around the hospital for hours getting nervous, so I kept myself busy. I did, however, leave at noon and went straight there to check up on her. By that point she was in recovery, still out of it, but she was doing well. Went home for a couple of hours and then went back to check in on her after she got moved into a room. She was still fairly groggy for most of the day, but I was able to carry on a conversation for a while. Unfortunately I got sick Wednesday night, so I called in sick the half-day I was going to do at work, and slept all day. I did manage to call my wife a few times and talked to her, but there was no reason for me to show up to the hospital sick and get everyone else infected...I felt horrible, but what was I to do. My mother-in-law and daughter went to visit Thursday afternoon, so that helped to cheer her up. Felt great Friday morning, so I got up and headed over to the hospital to find out they were going to release my wife that morning. Good thing I showed up. By noon we were home and she was in bed resting. Now for the long road to recovery. Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts, everyone.
Glad to hear everyone (including you) is doing better and the procedure went smoothly. :)
You know... I couldn't find a good comparison. I easily found a Canadian average... but all the US ones include room & board.
It’s something I’ve done for both girls for a while.
I can say that, word for word.
Um... you know you can withdraw more than just the tuition, right? I don't know how much you put in, but if you withdraw, say $5K/year until it's empty, you can hang on to that 20%. Throw it in a TFSA, or go ahead and dump it in an RRSP if you wish.
So something like this

:laughing:
The wife is doing great! Still a long ways to go, but she's making gains a little at a time.
Good to hear!
While next Friday, Feb. 28th is my last day, they are going to keep me by moving from inventory to purchasing. Now, this position isn't one that will go permanent, but it does keep me employed another month, maybe two.
Good news all over.
In other news, it is nearly 7pm on a Sunday night, and I FINALLY squashed the bug in my code that has been dogging me for the last 2 (3?) weeks.
Finally! Took a while. I bet you're glad it's gone!
Morning, Gents! Well, it is officially Monday and that means the start of a new week.
As a shift worker, I really have no feelings one way or another towards Monday... or Friday.
2 to go now. Soon!
I wound up giving her a peanut butter fluff sandwich
What is that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter