DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Hope ya'll had a good weekend. This is an abridged week for me. Trying to get a bunch of stuff done early in the week. We're leaving for Florida Weds afternoon. Right now we think we should be done with stuff for my Grandpa by about 3 or 4 and then we'll do the drive from Vero to Disney. Booking last minute there wasn't much available so we are spending a night at Fort Wilderness and the Switching to WL. Because this was an unexpected trip our goals are to, really explore FW. DW's favorite restaurant "Uncle Julio's Rio Grande Cafe" just opened a location off I-drive so we will probably visit that. If Disney will upgrade our AP's to platinum plus for free (there is a DVC special on that now) we may try and hit Typhoon lagoon. Otherwise it should be a very relaxed trip, we don't even have any ADRs booked.

Hope ya'll had a good weekend. This is an abridged week for me. Trying to get a bunch of stuff done early in the week. We're leaving for Florida Weds afternoon. Right now we think we should be done with stuff for my Grandpa by about 3 or 4 and then we'll do the drive from Vero to Disney. Booking last minute there wasn't much available so we are spending a night at Fort Wilderness and the Switching to WL. Because this was an unexpected trip our goals are to, really explore FW. DW's favorite restaurant "Uncle Julio's Rio Grande Cafe" just opened a location off I-drive so we will probably visit that. If Disney will upgrade our AP's to platinum plus for free (there is a DVC special on that now) we may try and hit Typhoon lagoon. Otherwise it should be a very relaxed trip, we don't even have any ADRs booked.

Enjoy the trip!

Top O the Mornin Dads! Quiet weekend for us just dealing with the heat and the very long and loud t-storms last night. Not sure I have ever heard constant thunder for 3-4 hours straight like last night. Looks like those at DaWorld are having / have had a great time - go figure. Let the week begin and may it be a good one.
Morning Guys, welcome to Monday!

Short office week this week; 3 days to clean up stuff and then off to Canada Games in the lovely city of Winnipeg. Close to three weeks of being in gyms, at ball fields and other venues...it's a tough gig but someone has to do it.

Hope everyone has a great day.

TMI!!!
:rotfl2: And safe travels to Winnipeg.
Sometimes those relaxed "wing it" a bit trips are the best. Again sorry about your Grandpa.

Sometimes those relaxed "wing it" a bit trips are the best. Again sorry about your Grandpa.

Thank's. I'm not really sure what to say. he was in his 90's and my parents and my aunt were dividing time taking care of him at the end. I know it was really stressful for my parents at the end as they were having to provide a level of care that they felt inadequate to provide. It will be a good trip to celebrate and remember him.

‘Morning all…
On paper, this should be a calm uneventful week.
I’m always wary of weeks like that.

Great line. How'd you like the movie?
I really enjoyed that movie. Much more than I expected. I thought the first one was good, but nothing that special. I think the second was even better.
We enjoyed it. The Missus, who is most certainly not a big action film aficionado, really likes these characters and story lines. She also agrees with the assessment that this one was better than the first. I thought it was a good plot as well. Maybe a smidgen slow in a couple spots but there was a lot of back story that needed to be set up so that’s understandable. Then again, any slow spots were overcompensated for by making the action sequences so over the top that you could easily miss things. Basically it was just a lot of fun, and fun is what I most enjoy from any movie.

I imagine there is enough blame and hard feelings to go around.
That’s easily the truest assessment of just about any dispute.

Next June, we will fly to WDW for a week at the Boardwalk. I love it when a plan comes together.
And a mighty fine plan it is.

image-22-jpg.255356
Proud dad moment par excellence

Yeah I think it's much more the perception of money.
And given that it’s driven by emotion, perception is a far more influential force then a truth.

Rob isn't the logo that you designed the one on Aaron's shirt?
Most likely. There were a couple designs adopted way back when.
Scott devised one based on Mickey’s shorts and mine was the one with the Dad, young’en and a balloon.

Photobucket forced me to finally drop that off my sig here, but I ought to find a way of putting it back.

Sigh, It kind of irks me that people fighting over the Disdad brand. Makes me want to go back to the days of Stopher's long posts about being a Disneyland CM.
Enjoyed reading stuff like that.
This is still a viable forum for such things.
Feel free to start a trend.

Quiet weekend for us just dealing with the heat and the very long and loud t-storms last night. Not sure I have ever heard constant thunder for 3-4 hours straight like last night.
We got pounded by some of that nonsense last night as well.
It broke what had been better than a week of very oppressive heat, but when you build up that much stored energy, the release tends to be a mite ferocious.

Sometimes those relaxed "wing it" a bit trips are the best.
Yes they can be.

Thank's. I'm not really sure what to say. he was in his 90's and my parents and my aunt were dividing time taking care of him at the end. I know it was really stressful for my parents at the end as they were having to provide a level of care that they felt inadequate to provide. It will be a good trip to celebrate and remember him.
Sorry for the losses and may all remembrances be joyful.

We're leaving for Florida Weds afternoon. Right now we think we should be done with stuff for my Grandpa by about 3 or 4 and then we'll do the drive from Vero to Disney. Booking last minute there wasn't much available so we are spending a night at Fort Wilderness and the Switching to WL. Because this was an unexpected trip our goals are to, really explore FW.
I hope you enjoy the trip. I've always wondered how different a last minute trip would be.

Woke up at 3am with this overwhelming need to puke. Didn't but I am walking wounded today. Think it is a stomach bug.

Happy Sunday. Made it home around 2:00 last night. We left around 2:30 PM, and only hit a spot of construction lane traffic before Atlanta

Glad you made it safely back home, sorry you are still not there.

First, a couple pictures from our walkabout in Middle Cove yesterday, like I said, hoped to see the capelin roll but they weren't in yesterday.

Beautiful views. But is where is the snow?

To start off today, I was driver for Cinderella. Wasn't a golden pumpkin coach unfortunately, just a used Civic.

Great pics. You have two beautiful young ladies there. Must take after their mother. (Sorry couldn't resist)

I'm running Dopey this year. It's DW and I's 20th anniversary on that Tuesday so we are going to try and do a Nicer dinner on Tuesday night and I think we may go to Discover Cove after the 5k. We're at contemporary this year.

The Dis Dad Eating Cheetah did the inaugural. Getting up at stupid o'clock four days in a row took a toll on me. Good luck and enjoy the anniversary. Maybe we can get together during the weekend.

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Right idea to use the trip to celebrate and remember him. There are still favorite places that were special to me to loved ones that are no longer here. I have many of them at WDW.

‘Morning all…
On paper, this should be a calm uneventful week.
I’m always wary of weeks like that.

Why do I hear scary music in the background?

Same here. I miss the old free for all days here but still my Disney fix of choice.

‘Morning all…

Most likely. There were a couple designs adopted way back when.
Scott devised one based on Mickey’s shorts and mine was the one with the Dad, young’en and a balloon.

Photobucket forced me to finally drop that off my sig here, but I ought to find a way of putting it back.

I remember your balloon logo and think I have one or two shirts with that on it.. Back before that we had the shirts we had to make ourselves at Vistaprint, which we aren't supposed to wear anymore.

Good times.

I hope you enjoy the trip. I've always wondered how different a last minute trip would be.
I think our family is kind of backwards. While this is last minute it's actually pretty close in length to most of our trips. Short of our first big family trip, most of our trips are 4 days or less. So while this trip isn't scheduled I don't really know how different it will feel. The only major difference will be the time spent exploring fort wilderness as typically our disney time is either in a park or at Disney Springs. I would really like to do a longer trip where it was easier to do a resort day or two. I feel like there is so much at the resorts that we miss because we don't have enough time to slow down.

Well FP+ done. Not sure I can say we got everything we wanted, but then again, it's limited to 3 things and you can't have any overlap, so kinda hard. Oh well, at least we got the most important ones (even if not ideal times) and then maybe we can add more after.

Woke up at 3am with this overwhelming need to puke. Didn't but I am walking wounded today. Think it is a stomach bug.

The Dis Dad Eating Cheetah did the inaugural. Getting up at stupid o'clock four days in a row took a toll on me. Good luck and enjoy the anniversary. Maybe we can get together during the weekend.

Same here. I miss the old free for all days here but still my Disney fix of choice.
Hope you feel better CJ.

I did the inaugural too. With this being the 5th Dopey it seemed like the right time to do it again. Totally agree on the suckiness of 4 early wakeup calls. This will be my 7th year in a row.

DW wants to do something else for our anniversary so I think it may be my last Marathon weekend for a while. It would be great to catch up during the weekend.

Well FP+ done. Not sure I can say we got everything we wanted, but then again, it's limited to 3 things and you can't have any overlap, so kinda hard. Oh well, at least we got the most important ones (even if not ideal times) and then maybe we can add more after.

Did you get flights? What did you pick at epcot?

Sorry to hear that CJ. Hope it's only a 24 hr bug and you feel better soon (well, really hoping it's less than 24 hr, but I'm not sure if there is such a thing).

Great pics. You have two beautiful young ladies there. Must take after their mother. (Sorry couldn't resist)
I was thinking the exact same thing, but I didn't know him well enough to go there. Piling on the bandwagon now, though. :lmao:

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Right idea to use the trip to celebrate and remember him. There are still favorite places that were special to me to loved ones that are no longer here. I have many of them at WDW.
Like that dad blamed smoke at Illuminations that affected not only you but others of us around the country?

Why do I hear scary music in the background?
Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Did you get flights? What did you pick at epcot?
Not planning a day at AK, so no.
MK for day one = BTMRR, SDMT and SM(space). Wanted SM(splash), but wasn't available. Everything else we can standby for. Can't remember correct abbreviations for those, so specified in parens.

EPCOT for day two = TT, SE and JIIWF (Wanted soarin' also, but I don't think it will allow two "Premium" rides)

We may or may not do EPCOT because we may be going to water park the 2nd day, but made the reservations in case.

Not planning a day at AK, so no.
MK for day one = BTMRR, SDMT and SM(space). Wanted SM(splash), but wasn't available. Everything else we can standby for. Can't remember correct abbreviations for those, so specified in parens.

EPCOT for day two = TT, SE and JIIWF (Wanted soarin' also, but I don't think it will allow two "Premium" rides)

We may or may not do EPCOT because we may be going to water park the 2nd day, but made the reservations in case.

Epcot only allows one top tier ride. TT is a good choice as Soarin's line seems to move better with the third theater. On the last couple trips we've been able to do Soarin standby and make it to Norway to ride Frozen before the long is rediculous.

For what its worth we've had bad luck with the Splash standby line on the past couple of trips. For some reason I think the fastpass queue combined with that rides periodic issues makes it a ride whose wait times balloon very fast. For example DS a couple months ago DS and I got into it's the standby line when it was showing 40 minutes. 40 minutes later we weren't even close to going up the stairs to start the portion of the queue that's inside. That's a long winded way of sayin "If you want to do Splash standby earlier (first hour after park opening )is much much better".

Which WaterPark are you looking at? i'm curious to try Miss-adventure falls.

Epcot only allows one top tier ride. TT is a good choice as Soarin's line seems to move better with the third theater. On the last couple trips we've been able to do Soarin standby and make it to Norway to ride Frozen before the long is rediculous.

For what its worth we've had bad luck with the Splash standby line on the past couple of trips. For some reason I think the fastpass queue combined with that rides periodic issues makes it a ride whose wait times balloon very fast. For example DS a couple months ago DS and I got into it's the standby line when it was showing 40 minutes. 40 minutes later we weren't even close to going up the stairs to start the portion of the queue that's inside. That's a long winded way of sayin "If you want to do Splash standby earlier (first hour after park opening )is much much better".

Which WaterPark are you looking at? i'm curious to try Miss-adventure falls.

Well, we've been to TL before, so leaning towards BB. I bought 10 day non-expiring (before they did away with them) with the water park and more, so we still have quite a few water park and more options left on those. I used several of mine with DQ, but DW doesn't care at all for video games, so she's got a few more than I do.

Hey guys. Just waved Norm off from the great ceremonial house with a little bit of sadness. Really nice to meet up with one of guys from here. It's great to meet the guys off the other place, but I talk to you lot more than I talk to my mum most weeks. Safe travels mate, and we should all shoot for a year where we do a "mothership meet up". Might go and check out celebration later.
Poly out.

Glad you guys could meet up! Hope you're having a great time.

I know there is some money in it. And, it's a good side hustle or even full time gig if you're willing to put all the time into it. Websites, podcasts, merchandise, calling airlines, vacation spots, rental cars - sounds exhausting to me.

Are we talking Millions$? 100K? Or is it an average pay job that involves all that extra phone time?

Or is the perception? Control? Is it really over the idea of a name? There has to be more, or i don't get it.

All of the above Norm. Mostly around the use of the name on merchandise and who is making money off of it. In other words, same old crap. At least they did stay away from the travel agent debate this time.

Sigh, It kind of irks me that people fighting over the Disdad brand. Makes me want to go back to the days of Stopher's long posts about being a Disneyland CM.

I miss the old days a good bit, too. For a long time, this group astonished me as being the best I'd ever seen at being able to hold a conversation on any subject, no matter how controversial, and conduct it in a civil manner with no judgment, no fights, and lots of humor. Seems like we've lost that ability.

To me, part of the question is whether "Disdad" even should be a brand. For a long time, it was just a place to hang out. I think it still is that here, which is why I post here more often. It's easier to get to know people over time in this format, whereas there are scores of people on FB who I've never heard of and have no idea who they are. That makes me less apt to jump in, let alone worry about podcasts, conventions, promoting this and that. I can see why some are annoyed over those things but I also don't think any of those things were started with less-than-noble intentions. I have other thoughts on the debate but am purposely keeping them to myself because I like everyone involved. It just bugs me that such a great, cohesive, unified group is fracturing.

Turned out to be a good Idea and all I have to say for our choice is...

I'm Mary Poppins, Y'all.

Good call! And a great moment in the movie.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope your "winging it" trip is fun. Have fun storming the castle! Or the water park.

Basically it was just a lot of fun, and fun is what I most enjoy from any movie.

In that case, you'd probably enjoy Spider-man: Homecoming as well.

If only I was a former CM!

Beautiful views. But is where is the snow?
Finally went away last week :P
It will be back soon enough....

Must take after their mother. (Sorry couldn't resist)
I was thinking the exact same thing, but I didn't know him well enough to go there. Piling on the bandwagon now, though. :lmao:
:rotfl2: Nicely done gents. Just remember...karma...:)

I would really like to do a longer trip where it was easier to do a resort day or two. I feel like there is so much at the resorts that we miss because we don't have enough time to slow down.
My last couple trips we've really tried to slow down. Didn't do a full resort day, but a couple half days.

For a long time, it was just a place to hang out. I think it still is that here, which is why I post here more often. It's easier to get to know people over time in this format, whereas there are scores of people on FB who I've never heard of and have no idea who they are.
Well said. To me this is just a fun group of guys to hang out with and spend a few minutes of my coffee break or at the end of the day with you (yes, I have taken you guys to bed a few times!)
FB can be fun at times, but it's not quite as personal as here.

Well, we've been to TL before, so leaning towards BB. I bought 10 day non-expiring (before they did away with them) with the water park and more, so we still have quite a few water park and more options left on those. I used several of mine with DQ, but DW doesn't care at all for video games, so she's got a few more than I do.
BB is a lot of fun. I really liked Teamboat springs and summit plummet is incredible. It's fun to look out and realize you're about eye level with the top of Tower of terror and you are going to "fall" from that height.

I miss the old days a good bit, too. For a long time, this group astonished me as being the best I'd ever seen at being able to hold a conversation on any subject, no matter how controversial, and conduct it in a civil manner with no judgment, no fights, and lots of humor. Seems like we've lost that ability.

To me, part of the question is whether "Disdad" even should be a brand. For a long time, it was just a place to hang out. I think it still is that here, which is why I post here more often. It's easier to get to know people over time in this format, whereas there are scores of people on FB who I've never heard of and have no idea who they are. That makes me less apt to jump in, let alone worry about podcasts, conventions, promoting this and that. I can see why some are annoyed over those things but I also don't think any of those things were started with less-than-noble intentions. I have other thoughts on the debate but am purposely keeping them to myself because I like everyone involved. It just bugs me that such a great, cohesive, unified group is fracturing.
Yeah but I guess maybe that's inevitable as any group grows. For what it's worth I think it's funny that the Disney Fanatic hasn't been involved in all this branding stuff. I think Facebook as a medium seems to lend itself to less friendly discourse. I am not sure why,but as a channel it just tends to push people to being less considerate.

I do however enjoy watching your vacation posts on facebook. DW and I have lived vicariously through your vacations on several times. There are a lot of portions of some of your recent trips that we'd really like to do.

Well said. To me this is just a fun group of guys to hang out with and spend a few minutes of my coffee break or at the end of the day with you (yes, I have taken you guys to bed a few times!)
FB can be fun at times, but it's not quite as personal as here.

Oh my! well then where is that sultry eyed smiley face.

First, a couple pictures from our walkabout in Middle Cove yesterday, like I said, hoped to see the capelin roll but they weren't in yesterday.

To start off today, I was driver for Cinderella. Wasn't a golden pumpkin coach unfortunately, just a used Civic.

One of the more painful parts of the vacation.

Beautiful girls. Keep the shotgun ready :scared1:

?

Glad you had a safe trip home. Just out of curiosity when you are tallying receipts is there anything in particular you are looking for? Are you using it to make decisions about things to purchase next trip like the dining plan or is it strictly to just keep track of costs?

Always double check to make sure our room charges are ours and not some error. And, trying to see if we stayed on budget. We didn't. It was close though.

Remember how Jimmy Buffett sang that "I blew out my flip flop"? I didn't know what that meant until this vacation. For me, it was a croc shoe, but I blew it out and somehow rubbed a hole in my toe. I limped thru vacation and drank a lot of beer to make it through. Yesterday, it was red, swollen, and really hurt. I went to dr this AM, and both he and the nurse flinched when they first saw it. I'll post a picture of you want, but I doubt you want to see that. I now have an antibiotic for my toe. Another first at Disney for me. :lmao:

Not sure I ever said it, but prayers for your grandpa and your family. Even though it was a gradual process, it can be a challenging time for families.

Get well soon. Thanks for the shark wrangling post on FB. A proud dad watching his daughter do what she wants to do towards her career.

The strategy I've used with FP+ is to get them all early (or do a rope drop ride stand by), and as soon as I finish the third FP+, get on phone app and book the next. As soon as you touch your wristbands to the Mickey, you can book the next FP+. It means more time on your phone, but less time in lines. You do more park walking, and it works best in MK with so many attractions.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Why? He's not in Kentucky. :lmao:

!

Well said.

(yes, I have taken you guys to bed a few times!)

I must have had a whole lot to drink because I don't remember that. Were budgie smugglers involved? :lmao: :scared1: :sad2:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!