DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Tree’s up. Only problem with pre-lit trees... replacing bulbs. I replaced a couple hundred when I took it down, probably have around 500 to go. (10’ tree)

I hate putting up our tree.

We have an artificial tree. I leave it put together all year round and store it in the basement with the lights on it--we just put sheets over it to protect from dust. So when I have to put it up again I just carry it up the stairs and then re-arrange the lights that fell off.

One of these days, I'm going to build a hydraulic lift with a remote control so I can just raise/lower it into place each Christmas season.

But in these Covid Times we are having a Safegivings, so it’s just Jodi and I...

I'm wondering if Christmas will be that way too. Troubling times.

We haven't quite decided how to handle it yet. It's just going to be my family and my parents, so that's 8 of us. We aren't sure if we're going to make it a "drive-by" Thanksgiving where we just exchange food dishes and wish each other well, or make everyone wear masks indoors. I had been hoping for an outdoor meal but it's supposed to rain all morning here.

A random pic for today: 1932 Ford Deluxe Roadster

Isn't that Randall's car?

Happy Tuesday. Or, in the world of the retired, just another vacation day.

I actually watched the Eagles game yesterday (well, up to the 3rd quarter).
I'm still a bit new to this football thing, but is there some new strategy going on that involves the quarterback holding on to the ball too long and not handing off or throwing to any one else? If so, the Eagles seem to have mastered it. :rolleyes1

::yes:: :lmao:

Top O the Mornin Dads! Looking forward to the short work week plus I took next Monday off so back-to-back short weeks. Started the outdoor decorations a bit this weekend and put up the final, #4, main family tree including lights so a bit ahead of Thanksgiving weekend norms (no not that Norm). Looks like weather is gonna present challenges to completing the outdoor decor this weekend but hopefully we can pull it off. Did not miss the Bears not playing playing this weekend but did miss ND not playing. Mark as referenced on the other place Happy Birthday, glad ou enjoyed the day other than the Eagles :stir: Stay safe everyone!

It's never this Norm, which is probably a good thing. No outdoor decor for me this year, unless DW insists. I think we are down to one strand of working outdoor lights, which will get me a 1/3 of the front of the house in whichever direction.

Was that person, by chance from the retirement board?

I thought they looked familiar. :lmao:

I'm feeling complete ambivalence. I have income and health insurance, so a job is for indoor tennis, DW to buy stuff, and to go on vacation from sitting in my house. I want to get away from social work, but I want to get out of the house from lockdown.

I think that was the closest any of the NFC East teams have come to resembling real football so far this year.

It's most likely anyone's division. And, the right team could get hot and win a game in the playoffs. I don't see any team from the NFC least going further than that.

I'm wondering if Christmas will be that way too. Troubling times.

I'm guessing it will continue to March, since they measure these things in years. The numbers compare to the H3N2 "Hong Kong" flu from September 1968-1969, when you adjust for population.

We have an artificial tree. I leave it put together all year round and store it in the basement with the lights on it--we just put sheets over it to protect from dust. So when I have to put it up again I just carry it up the stairs and then re-arrange the lights that fell off.

One of these days, I'm going to build a hydraulic lift with a remote control so I can just raise/lower it into place each Christmas season.

That will be another small project. You could get it done over this holiday weekend.

Happy Tuesday. Or, in the world of the retired, just another vacation day.

I'm feeling complete ambivalence. I have income and health insurance, so a job is for indoor tennis, DW to buy stuff, and to go on vacation from sitting in my house. I want to get away from social work, but I want to get out of the house from the lockdowns.

And just like that, I'm out of retirement. Back to work at UPS on Friday.

Morning, gents.
Not much to report this morning except I actually got a decent amount of sleep. First time that's happened in months.

had a storm blow through yesterday that produced a tornado warming for the area around lunchtime...so that was exciting.
:scared:
Any damage from the winds?
A random pic for today: 1932 Ford Deluxe Roadster
Buy it?
:lmao:
We have an artificial tree. I leave it put together all year round and store it in the basement with the lights on it--we just put sheets over it to protect from dust.
I don't have that option. It's too big. It comes apart (7 parts, plus stand and cord) and is stored in three huge duffel bags. Moving one of those bags is a fairly big job (as in I don't think either of my adult girls could carry one upstairs.)
Now we're talking!
I need a commercial lift, though. hmmm...
We haven't quite decided how to handle it yet. It's just going to be my family and my parents, so that's 8 of us. We aren't sure if we're going to make it a "drive-by" Thanksgiving where we just exchange food dishes and wish each other well, or make everyone wear masks indoors. I had been hoping for an outdoor meal but it's supposed to rain all morning here.
Right now we're restricted in that you can't even have one guest over unless you "live on your own". I presume so they can assist you.
The numbers compare to the H3N2 "Hong Kong" flu from September 1968-1969, when you adjust for population.
Interesting. I hadn't heard that. Gonna Google the lifespan (deathspan?) of that one.
Good luck?

Afternoon, Gents! Well, things just got interesting at work. My boss went off and got very vocal at a meeting that happens in the production area, and then walked out and quit. Don't know what exactly happened, but I do know that he's a nice guy that will let things build up. Once things build up to a certain point...BOOM! Out it comes. He quit once before but was convinced to stay because it was right before inventory, and he's in charge of that, since it does fall under his department. This time? Don't think he'll come back. If he does come back it'll be miracle. We'll see what happens.

Ours is artificial, with lights already attached, but I hate putting it together. Trying to get the base and the bottom of the tree attached is a pain in the butt.

Isn't that Randall's car?

Randall? Is this your car? I know I'd like to own it.

Congratulations!

Morning, gents.
Not much to report this morning except I actually got a decent amount of sleep. First time that's happened in months.

Feels good, doesn't it?

:scared:
Any damage from the winds?

Thankfully, no. Tons of rain, though, but no damage.

I wish. I'd love to own a car like that.

Some of you wouldn't see this post from the book of faces so to honour Dan I will post it here.

Afternoon, Gents! Well, things just got interesting at work. My boss went off and got very vocal at a meeting that happens in the production area, and then walked out and quit. Don't know what exactly happened, but I do know that he's a nice guy that will let things build up. Once things build up to a certain point...BOOM! Out it comes. He quit once before but was convinced to stay because it was right before inventory, and he's in charge of that, since it does fall under his department. This time? Don't think he'll come back. If he does come back it'll be miracle. We'll see what happens.

Wow!

I was told once if an employee threatens to quit, let them go. Now that he's done it twice, not sure if I would be bringing him back.

Hey guys, it's Friday!!
Well, last day of work this cycle for me.
Now for putting up outdoor Christmas lights, putting up the tree, tying up the outdoor bushes for winter, and anything else that gets added to my list.
With that much on the to do list, I may be happy to get back to work next week.....

Tree’s up. Only problem with pre-lit trees... replacing bulbs. I replaced a couple hundred when I took it down, probably have around 500 to go. (10’ tree)
Or just stick an ornament on top of the burnt out bulb. I've become pretty good at that.
Mine is only 7' so there's not as much to fiddle with. #TWSS

had a storm blow through yesterday that produced a tornado warming for the area around lunchtime...so that was exciting.
I actually knew that. I was flipping channels yesterday, came across the CBS Boston channel and saw the tornado warning. Good to hear you made out OK.
I think that system has made its way northeast to me this morning, very windy and heavy rain.

Ours is artificial, with lights already attached, but I hate putting it together. Trying to get the base and the bottom of the tree attached is a pain in the butt.
Ditto
I generally just get the tree up and then take a back seat to the ornamenting.

My boss went off and got very vocal at a meeting that happens in the production area, and then walked out and quit.
Whoa! He musta been really ticked off!
Feels good, doesn't it?
::yes::
:laughing:
I was told once if an employee threatens to quit, let them go. Now that he's done it twice, not sure if I would be bringing him back.
Yeah, I had the same thought.
"Okay, I've changed my mind. I'll come back to work."
"Actually, no you won't."
With that much on the to do list, I may be happy to get back to work next week.....
Good luck!
Or just stick an ornament on top of the burnt out bulb. I've become pretty good at that.
I don't own that many ornaments.
:laughing:

Congrats - keep the Holiday economy going
I put it in the stand and put on the lights, after that I have a beer and stand back.
#TWSS
It's too big. It comes apart (7 parts, plus stand and cord) and is stored in three huge duffel bags.
#TWSS
I need a commercial lift, though. hmmm...
#TWSS
Ditto #TWSS

Morning, Gents! Well, as I mentioned yesterday afternoon, it was certainly an interesting day. My boss kind of lost it in a meeting and started speaking loudly, almost dropping the F-bomb, but held back, and then stormed out. It was later confirmed that he went off because, as is usual for that place, everything that needs shipping comes down at the last minute causing the shipping department to work weekends. Well, what made him really go off this time was that the shipping guys were going to have to come in on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving because the rest of the place can't get the stuff done during the month. The reason the production people can't get stuff done during the month is that there's piss poor planning in how things are planned, schedule wise, ordering of inventory on a timely basis...you get the picture. Well, he lost it this time around in a very public way, so he won't be back. HR sent out the email saying that he no longer works there and to not let him in if he were to come back. So it's official. Sad to see him go because he was good to work for and with, he could be annoying at times, but he was good to work with, and for.

Some of you wouldn't see this post from the book of faces so to honour Dan I will post it here.

View attachment 540130

:thumbsup2:rotfl2:

Wow!

Yeah he won't be back this time. The official email from HR went out saying that he no longer worked there and to not let him in if he comes by....so yeah, he won't be back.

Hey guys, it's Friday!!
Well, last day of work this cycle for me.
Now for putting up outdoor Christmas lights, putting up the tree, tying up the outdoor bushes for winter, and anything else that gets added to my list.

Happy Friday to ya...or by now: Saturday, well, yours anyways
I'd like to put up lights outside this year, but we'll see. Actually, I'd love to do what we did in southwest and put up Luminarias, but every year I forget to get the necessary supplies, namely the luminaria candles. Here's what it looks like:

That works, too. We have a whole string out on our tree, our tree comes with the lights already on it, so we just string more lights around it.

I actually knew that. I was flipping channels yesterday, came across the CBS Boston channel and saw the tornado warning. Good to hear you made out OK.
I think that system has made its way northeast to me this morning, very windy and heavy rain.

Yeah, it was nasty. I looked out the windows at work and noticed how dark it had gotten. Man that was nasty. Any wind damage in your area?

Ditto
I generally just get the tree up and then take a back seat to the ornamenting.

:thumbsup2 I do help with the ornaments, but usually let my DW and DD do most of it. Although, there are a few ornaments that are mine that I like to put up every year, so they DW and DD leave those for me.

Whoa! He musta been really ticked off!

:thumbsup2

Yeah, I had the same thought.
"Okay, I've changed my mind. I'll come back to work."
"Actually, no you won't."

:rotfl2: See above for the story on the first time he tried to leave

I don't own that many ornaments.

Lucky. My DW owns what seems like a million of them....and she wants them all on the tree.

It's most likely anyone's division. And, the right team could get hot and win a game in the playoffs. I don't see any team from the NFC least going further than that.

Honestly, I'd rather lose out and get a high draft pick than make the playoffs at this point. It's obvious all of these teams are terrible.

Well, congratulations!

I don't have that option. It's too big. It comes apart (7 parts, plus stand and cord) and is stored in three huge duffel bags. Moving one of those bags is a fairly big job (as in I don't think either of my adult girls could carry one upstairs.)

That sounds like it would remove every single bit of merriment from the holidays.

HR sent out the email saying that he no longer works there and to not let him in if he were to come back. So it's official. Sad to see him go because he was good to work for and with, he could be annoying at times, but he was good to work with, and for.

Wow. I guess he finally reached his limit. Hope this works out ok for you.

That looks really cool!

Morning all. We got the bad weather and tornados today. I've got to make the bacon wrapped green beans, sweet potato casserole, and bake bread today. DW made several casseroles yesterday and plans to make pies today. I guess we are planning to feed the entire battalion of the National Guard Unit if they are deployed to stop holiday festivities tomorrow. :rolleyes1

Congrats. Stay on keto and the additional exercise will help.

It's been a rough week. I'll kick it back into gear on Friday and enjoy 6 weeks if exercise.

Morning, gents.
Not much to report this morning except I actually got a decent amount of sleep. First time that's happened in months

Interesting. I hadn't heard that. Gonna Google the lifespan (deathspan?) of that one.

Enjoy the sleep and get back to work. :sad2: :lmao:

It was an interesting read about H3N2. The first case happened in July 1968, but they started tracking in August or September. They used a conversion rate for the population and the elderly were at the highest risk. That virus still exists today, but there is a vaccine. Historically, Woodstock occurred then, which was before my time. I'll see if I can find the link. I've had way too much downtime.

Wow, and right before Thanksgiving. It seems like he was ready to leave though before this happened. If it wasn't for my retirement income, I wouldn't have left the sauce factory, but I would have been searching. It sounded like he was there. Sometimes, there's only so much you can take.

View attachment 540130

:lmao::rotfl::lmao:

Congrats - keep the Holiday economy going

Yeah, it all depends on me. I hope it will be a fun 6 weeks or so.

Congratulations!

Thanks.

Congrats!

Thanks.

Honestly, I'd rather lose out and get a high draft pick than make the playoffs at this point. It's obvious all of these teams are terrible.

Well, congratulations!

Thanks. I don't think I've made it thru 1/2 of any of the games in that division this year. It's been bad.

Morning boys.
Think I'll go for a short-ish run this morning and then see how the rest of the day goes before heading off to work.

Well, as I mentioned yesterday afternoon, it was certainly an interesting day.
Sure sounds like they're done with him. Hope he doesn't come back, hat in hand, looking to be re-hired.
Happy Wednesday All!
Nope. Later this afternoon is my Monday morning.

Follow the bouncing ball...
That sounds like it would remove every single bit of merriment from the holidays.
It looks pretty nice once it's up. My brain blocks out the trauma of the installation process.

And believe me... it's a process.
I guess we are planning to feed the entire battalion of the National Guard Unit if they are deployed to stop holiday festivities tomorrow. :rolleyes1
At least with the National Guard there, you'll feel safe.
Enjoy the sleep and get back to work. :sad2: :lmao:
:sad2:
Yup.
It was an interesting read about H3N2. The first case happened in July 1968, but they started tracking in August or September. They used a conversion rate for the population and the elderly were at the highest risk. That virus still exists today, but there is a vaccine.
What really surprised me was that they had a vaccine in four months!!

First job of my “Saturday” morning off done, Christmas tree is up. Ladies can decorate at their leisure.
Then two loads of laundry washed and folded.
Now off to bring youngest DD to a hair appointment.
I love days off.
Bah humbug.

Actually, I'd love to do what we did in southwest and put up Luminarias,
That looks really nice. With the wind and snow we get up here, something like that would last about a day.
I’ve never been to the southwest but I would like to go one day, I like the architecture.

Any wind damage in your area?
Not that I know of. A short localized power outage overnight but not sure if that was relat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts