Dealing with the Heat!

Know you and your children's limits. Florida heat is no average heat due to the humidity down here, as anybody can tell you. Breaks are essential, so if you or your kids are getting overheated, break. Set your pace accordingly, don't go so slow that you can't do anything, but don't go so fast that everybody gets tired before noon. I'd say use your first day to gauge your pace. A resort break in the middle of the day is also always possible, depending on your schedule.
Hydration of course is extremely important, so drink a lot of water (I would suggest drinking only water, at least during the day).
Air conditioning is pretty widespread in just about all the parks, be sure to take full advantage of those areas. Ride rides. Shop and stuff. You know the deal.

Other than that, definitely what EscalatorKid and Shanti said. Have fun in August!

Everyone has hit the major hints. It's going to be hot/humid and your going to sweat..it's all about making yourself as comfortable as you can while doing it. Moisture wicking fabric is lighter than normal clothes so on top of helping get rid of the sweat, it also doesn't hold in heat as much.

I started going bagless and it really helps not having to carry a backpack since it doesn't trap heat and allows air to flow around you, as well as not having the extra weight. If you take a break mid day, your only going for 4-5 hours at a time... easily do without a backpack. There's not really much you NEED to carry... Sunscreen up before you leave in morning, then again on break.. Grab free water, etc.

Keep drinking water all day (even when not in the sun).. soak up the A/C whenever you can. Cooling towels don't work too well in the humidity as the water doesn't evaporate to get the cooling effect... plus just another thing to carry. Same with misting fans, they don't do enough to justify carrying them around all day... just splash water in your face if needed.

My son was 7 on trip couple years ago.. he did just fine following the above stuff.

BodyGlide-Anti-Chafing-Balm-22g.jpg

Lifesaver for me...

Regarding water bottles -
First, can I assume it's OK to bring them in?
Second - how easy is it to find a place to refill them?

Shanti's suggestions are indeed excellent, but bottled water I'm sure is very expensive at the parks. We'll have eight people in our group (two small children). We won't bring a water bottle for each of us (assuming we can refill conveniently, we can share). And I can't see spending what I assume is about $3-$5 per bottle (maybe more??) for each of us every hour or so.
Yes you can take drinks into the park as long as it is not in a glass bottle. Or you can ask for free cups of ice water at the food stands that sell fountain drinks. Leave at noon go have lunch somewhere that is airconditioned. Then go to the pool. Return to the park at 4 p.m. when the heat of the day is over. We plan what park we want to visited based upon which one is open the latest. That way we can visit the park when the sun goes down and not have to deal with the blazing sun.

Agreeing with what everyone else said, but I'll add SHADE. Walk in the shade whenever possible. Stand in the shade whenever possible. Don't be ridiculous about it, of course, but if you have a choice between walking in the sun or moving to the other side of the sidewalk and walking in the shade, choose the shade.

Put sunscreen on the tip top of each ear - they can and will get sunburned. Also the part of your hair, back of your neck, and backs of your knees. If you're wearing sandals, sunscreen on the tops of your feet.

In the summer we use Camelbaks. Fill them and put them in the freezer the night before.

I carry a mini umbrella for shade. Makes a big difference.

Do you find it difficult to navigate through the crowds without hitting anyone? I'd be afraid I'd poke someone if I used an umbrella for shade. Just wondering about your experience, thanks!

Do you find it difficult to navigate through the crowds without hitting anyone? I'd be afraid I'd poke someone if I used an umbrella for shade. Just wondering about your experience, thanks!

Not really. The parks have been pretty slow this summer. I've never hit anyone.

I've had other guests tell me what a good idea!

Saw several people with umbrellas for shade (but wondered about those using black ones. Counter-productive).

Just back and the heat was less than expected. Rarely about 90. But the sun is much stronger of course than I'm used to in the Chicago area. Sunscreen - water - shade - A/C waiting areas. Like every other summer, I don't even remember being hot at all. Because - well, I was at WDW!

We each had a little 4 inch tall battery powered fan. It saved the day! And each of us had extra batteries. We also kept cooling towels, I kept medicated power to prevent chafing, brought cleaning wipes with a tiny travel deodorant...and wait for it.....fresh panties for a mid-day wipe down clean up fresh up! I come out of the restroom feeling like a new person!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter