Debt Dumpers - 2018

Helpful (hopefully!) hint: Unsubscribe from store emails. I realize I get sooooo many emails from various stores that are constantly advertising sales. I’ve gotten Bath & Body Works, Michaels, and Big Lots, among various others, just this morning. I don’t NEED anything, but of course, I looked through every sale. I’m not saying delete all your emails, but if there are some you don’t need, get rid of temptation!

Also, stay away from Amazon lightning deals. They’re my weakness! :faint:

Thanks for this!
I just unsubscribed from Macys and Staples. :thumbsup2 They hammer me with emails and I usually just delete them anyway.

It stinks that it was unexpected but to look on the bright side, at least brakes are more like general maintenance, not really that a part is broken. Kind of like needining tires, things wear down.

I'm probably due for brakes in 6-12 mos or so but we'll most likely be trading it in by summer.
I'd love to give it to ds17 but it's a minivan that seats 7 and I'm afraid he would fill it with friends, which is against our new drivers rules (can only have 1 other person besides a parent). He is one to skip rules that he doesn't agree with
partly why he doesn't have a dl. Not to mention it would be on the expensive side for him to fill his tank compared to a small car. Still, it was well cared for, garage kept, only 55,000 miles at 12 yrs old and I'm the only owner. Oh well.

Very true! I am fortunate (knock on wood) that both of our cars have stayed in good shape. Both have 95k miles on them and I'm hoping they continue to run this well. Mine is up next month for oil change, inspection, and probably an alignment.

In the meantime, I feel like I'm just twiddling my thumbs on debt... paying the minimums but waiting for my W2 and a couple 1099s before we can file taxes and use DH's refund to pay some things off. DH received his W2 and so far it looks like he's getting a healthy refund, but it'll get knocked down some once those 1099s roll in since they're in his name. Wish I could just pull the trigger and pay a couple things, but I don't want to pull it out of my savings yet!

Ugh, this month has not been kind. Christmas went through on budget but we stayed extra long with the ILS as lots of friends were back in town and over spent a bit. Combined with coming home to entry pantry and fridge with the added bonus of this coming fortnight being the only one all year DH doesn't get paid. Have been dealing with it effectively by just not looking at the budget... only really spending on essentials but incoming does not equal outgoing this month :(
I think a lot of us are having a hard time getting back on track after the holidays. We had car repairs, plumbing repairs and have our homeowners association dues coming up. Plus we had a long holiday weekend last week and all four of us went to two movies together and lunch out one of those times. BUT, I will say it's worth it because my kids are at the ages where they are fun to be with and we enjoy their company...and sooner than later they'll be at college and then I'll be sad (kind of, lol). I hope February is kinder to your family :).

Haha- I started to post last night and kept getting interrupted (because life with five kids :grouphug:) After adding to it periodically, it turned into quite the novella. Oops! :laughing:

I just need to whine a minute, so feel free to skip my first world drama. Lol.

Why are weddings to blasted expensive? I'm trying to be smart with my taxes and pay off as much as I can, but at the same time, try and pay for our wedding. I'd love to be able to do a cheap wedding, but I know I won't be happy with that. I'm only doing this once and since I can't have it at Disney, I want the wedding I've been dreaming of here... Which is looking like $12000. So now, do I pay off a lot of debt? Do I put my full return towards the wedding and just keep trudging? Do 1/2 and 1/2? Why isn't there an easy answer to this? I need to go make a few million spreadsheets with all the scenarios.

I just read your update- life changing events cost SO. Much. Money :faint: Keep debt pay off as a line in your budget and add small unexpected extra income to reduce debt. If you can make a little progess, that’s great. Keep the focus on not adding to your debt. I think <$10k is incredibly reasonable for a wedding. Sounds like you have a great plan :goodvibes

This is the first job I've had that gives annual cost of living raises - and we get a Christmas bonus to boot so I feel spoiled now, lol. Though we could get paid more given the cost of living here. :rolleyes1

I am honestly not holding my breath for this year! Our hospital is a DSH (Disproportionate Share Hospital). Evidently, in 2016 and 2017 we did not receive hefty reimbursements we were expecting. They eliminated their Nurse’s Week celebrations which typically included a SMALL bonus and gift. They also skipped the $15 (yes $15 :sad2:) gift card for a local supermarket they used to give out at Christmas. If they aren’t going to give us a one time gift of $15, I highly doubt we’ll see a raise this year. They claim they have no plans to change that, but we’ll see :rolleyes:

I'm anxiously awaiting my W2. I like to get taxes over with ASAP, though each year I seem to have more things that take longer to come... Last time I had tried to calculate an approximate tax bill I was getting that we'd owe $2k, but DH got his W2 on Monday and the amount of tax paid was higher than I estimated, so maybe we will be in our normal, under $1k refund. I think I'm most anxious about my W2 though - our second to last paystub of 2017 was wrong, so I'm worried that will delay mine OR they'll give incorrect ones and send corrected ones later. What happened was, our paychecks were correct but the year to date columns did not have anything added to them from that pay period :confused3 Our last paychecks and stubs were correct as in it added the last check data, but it's still missing the previous one. Apparently this only happened at our location so our payroll person had to open a case with the corporate people, and they just keep extending their deadline on it a week :sad2:

I'm also waiting to see how they rule in my case for our first paycheck of the year. We had Dec 25th and 26th as holidays, but came in a 3am on the 27th. Our days run 7am-7am, so the 3am-7am on the 27th is still the 26th for our purposes, and we get doubletime for holiday pay. But they system processed mine incorrectly and paid me doubletime for all 12 hours I worked that day, instead of just the 4 hours. So I might lose a little in my next check, which isn't the end of the world as I wasn't expecting it anyway (obviously :)) but payroll says often they say it's processed correctly and leave it. Also another :confused3 moment because we all know it's wrong, but we're not going to fight them over it.

We've got one more Disney trip planned before our APs expire, and we leave next Friday. @Jen and kAshwin maybe we'll run into you and your friend :) We had extra credit card points to cover flights and hotel, and I've earned enough Disney GCs to pay for food/souvenirs. We also got $100 in Disney GCs for Christmas... people must think we like Disney or something ;) Actual OOP costs should be around $200.

Our PTO accrual rates increased this year for the new-ish employees, so I will now earn 2 more days over the year. With all of this new found time off :rotfl2: I decided to take off next Friday, otherwise I would have been stuck working 3am-3pm that day :crazy2: I've done that the majority of the days this year, and I'm over it already. But I don't see that ending until at least March because we need to get a new person in to train.

In more related to this thread news, we reworked our budget categories but haven't allocated savings goals/extra payments yet. Haven't set official goals for the year yet either. We are slacking. But we did spend the whole weekend cleaning and organizing and finding things to get rid of, which was good. We also got a good inventory going of what items we have (like kitchenware) for when we move out.

@Tygerlilly I'll just echo other posters and say spend on what's important. Don't be afraid to skip something completely if it doesn't matter to you - if you don't care why even do something cheap for it? I planned a 160+ person $25k+ wedding, slashed it for a 160+ person $15k budget completely DIY wedding, and ended up spending just under $14k on a 20 person destination wedding. I'm here if you want to pick my brain on anything :) I'm definitely glad we went with the 20 person wedding.

@Dentam if I remember right your COL is about the same as mine, and definitely not keeping up with our location!

I too am just hoping we don’t owe! Last year was a wash (federal return, but owed state), so I’m thinking this year may be the same. I did have three months of unpaid maternity leave, so there’s a chance we’ll get something back, but I’m not counting on it.

Eek! 3a-3p is rough! I complain about my 5a-3:30p shift because it feels too early :) What line of work are you in? I hope they get a new employee trained and ready quickly. Any extra PTO is great!! Enjoy your day off :cool1:

We have unions at my job so when they get a raise, management does too. They are currently in contract negotiations so who knows? Even if no raises, I am blessed in that DH got a raise last July, we don't pay ANYTHING for our health insurance through DH's job and our shelter costs (mortgage, taxes, utilities) is 20% of our monthly income, so that helps a lot.
:surfweb:

I am so jealous of the free health care! Either option we choose from my DH’s company is expensive. Eventually I hope to keep our shelter costs down to 20%. Right now we hover around 30%- slightly above or slightly below depending on utilities. Right now I only work one or two shifts a week. Once my youngest is in Kindergarten, I’ll work at least three/week and that will help significantly. She’s only 10 months, but you know- long term goals :rotfl:

As for our January budget-
We still need to kickstart our spreadsheet AND keep to our budget so we can maintain our goals which we are working on adjusting and clarifying.

1. Our first and foremost goal is still to pay off CC debt. We can do this painlessly by paying $200/DH’s paychecks towards debt. However, it would take us the whole year to pay them off. I’d rather pay them off much sooner (so we can get to goal #6) so I plan to pick up shifts at work and funnel that money towards it too. We have a nurse going on maternity leave in March, so I can pick up three more shifts/week from March to June. I won’t pick up that many as it throws off things at home, but it’s nice to have that option. We are going to start with the $200/paycheck in February and re-evaluate what additional lump sums to put towards CC debt at the end of each month. We made one additional $200 payment this month, but that’s about it. It’s a start at least!

2. We have a rental house that needs a new furnace. It’s still chugging along with no issues (PLEASE Murphy stay away!!), but it has to be on it’s last leg as it’s original to the house (so 29 years old :eek:). My DH gets an annual bonus in March that is roughly $4-5k. All of this will go into buying a new furnace for the rental. Not fun, but necessary. We have a HVAC guy we always use and said he can do both units for $4k (which is a GREAT deal!!) so the bonus *should* fully cover the cost.

3. IF we get a tax return, we’ll put that into savings, which we want to get to a minimum of $3,000 (it’s just under $1k now which is not so great, obviously). Any tax return money could also potentially go towards goals 4&5.

4. We have two weddings to attend this year- one June 30, the other July 7 :lovestruc One is in town for my SIL. My DH and I plus three of our kids are in the weddding party. IF I also attend the bachelorette party in Las Vegas (which I am leaning against) I am estimating our all in costs for the trip, wedding attire, etc to be about $1,500. The other wedding is out of town and the area is rather pricey. We are going to split an Airbnb with family, but our cost is still $200/night x3 nights. With food and gas, I’m budgeting $1,200 for this wedding.

5. We also take an annual trip to Maine. My uncle has a lake house there and it’s just beautiful. As it is the same side of the family that will be attending the July wedding, we may not be doing a reunion week in Maine this year. But, I am planning as if we are going, so another $1,000 for this week. We split food costs/adult and children so it’s an incredibly affordable and wonderful vacation. Hopefully it’s a go this year :angel:

6. Now for my personal goal- I REALLY want to make it to WDW this year. I miss it so much! I’d like to go the week after Thanksgiving. Since we have a big family, we need to save a MINIMUM of $5,000 for a fairly basic off-site stay. My DH feels strongly (which I begrudgingly agree) that we have to meet all other goals before starting to save for this one. So, CC debt paid off, money in savings, and wedding costs covered BEFORE we start our WDW fund. I say bring on the overtime for DH (which he has been able to get 10-15 hours/paycheck) and the extra shifts for me. :flower1:

Today I am taking my kids for a mini WDW fix- a weekend trip to see Disney on Ice :smickey: We’re staying with my sister, have a membership to the museum we’ll be going to tomorrow, and tickets were a Christmas present. So, $300 should cover the costs for this one. Hopefully less so we can get one baby step closer to starting our WDW fund :rainbow:

Now for my personal goal- I REALLY want to make it to WDW this year. I miss it so much! I’d like to go the week after Thanksgiving. Since we have a big family, we need to save a MINIMUM of $5,000 for a fairly basic off-site stay. My DH feels strongly (which I begrudgingly agree) that we have to meet all other goals before starting to save for this one. So, CC debt paid off, money in savings, and wedding costs covered BEFORE we start our WDW fund. I say bring on the overtime for DH (which he has been able to get 10-15 hours/paycheck) and the extra shifts for me. :flower1:

I really want to make it to WDW also! Maybe even saving on a small scale if possible or save some Disney giftcards would be great! I'm still trying to save to pay off our summer vacation and have $3000 to go, not Disney, but... The airfare is a killer being in the Midwest, spent $1500 on that. I need a SW air card or Capital Venture. I may apply soon.

I really want to make it to WDW also! Maybe even saving on a small scale if possible or save some Disney giftcards would be great! I'm still trying to save to pay off our summer vacation and have $3000 to go, not Disney, but... The airfare is a killer being in the Midwest, spent $1500 on that. I need a SW air card or Capital Venture. I may apply soon.
I hear you on airfare. We are west coast based. Have you checked out the Alaska Airlines offer right now? Spend $1000 in the first month and get 30k points AND a free companion pass.

We are in the Midwest too! We have always been a driving family, so that helps save some cost. Although we’d eventually like to make it out to the PNW to visit good friends out there.
I would for sure have to look into allll the airline point tricks for that trip! We’ll see if I can convince my DH to put aside just a little bit for WDW each month. He tends to fall in-line more with Dave Ramsey and likes to keep the focus on one goal at a time. We’ll see how the year shakes out! :goodvibes

Budget got a little tighter as I was able to book one night at Zion Lodge inside Zion National Park. Total was $200.00 for the 4 of us and includes breakfast for me and DH (we'll pay for the kids). The original plan was to stay at the Holiday Inn in Springdale right outside the park, but from what I hear, it's always better to stay INSIDE a National Park. They have special ranger-led activities for lodge guests and you have easier access to the trails. I swear I am not booking another thing for our Vegas trip. I'm done. I ended up adding a night to our trip a few weeks ago by changing our flights but booked the hotel (Venetian/Palazzo) on points so not much out of pocket. Luckily, my Wells Fargo checking account bonus just came in so the extra $200.00 is covered.

Haha- I started to post last night and kept getting interrupted (because life with five kids :grouphug:) After adding to it periodically, it turned into quite the novella. Oops! :laughing:

I just read your update- life changing events cost SO. Much. Money :faint: Keep debt pay off as a line in your budget and add small unexpected extra income to reduce debt. If you can make a little progess, that’s great. Keep the focus on not adding to your debt. I think <$10k is incredibly reasonable for a wedding. Sounds like you have a great plan :goodvibes

I am honestly not holding my breath for this year! Our hospital is a DSH (Disproportionate Share Hospital). Evidently, in 2016 and 2017 we did not receive hefty reimbursements we were expecting. They eliminated their Nurse’s Week celebrations which typically included a SMALL bonus and gift. They also skipped the $15 (yes $15 :sad2:) gift card for a local supermarket they used to give out at Christmas. If they aren’t going to give us a one time gift of $15, I highly doubt we’ll see a raise this year. They claim they have no plans to change that, but we’ll see :rolleyes:

I too am just hoping we don’t owe! Last year was a wash (federal return, but owed state), so I’m thinking this year may be the same. I did have three months of unpaid maternity leave, so there’s a chance we’ll get something back, but I’m not counting on it.

Eek! 3a-3p is rough! I complain about my 5a-3:30p shift because it feels too early :) What line of work are you in? I hope they get a new employee trained and ready quickly. Any extra PTO is great!! Enjoy your day off :cool1:

:surfweb:

I am so jealous of the free health care! Either option we choose from my DH’s company is expensive. Eventually I hope to keep our shelter costs down to 20%. Right now we hover around 30%- slightly above or slightly below depending on utilities. Right now I only work one or two shifts a week. Once my youngest is in Kindergarten, I’ll work at least three/week and that will help significantly. She’s only 10 months, but you know- long term goals :rotfl:

As for our January budget-
We still need to kickstart our spreadsheet AND keep to our budget so we can maintain our goals which we are working on adjusting and clarifying.

1. Our first and foremost goal is still to pay off CC debt. We can do this painlessly by paying $200/DH’s paychecks towards debt. However, it would take us the whole year to pay them off. I’d rather pay them off much sooner (so we can get to goal #6) so I plan to pick up shifts at work and funnel that money towards it too. We have a nurse going on maternity leave in March, so I can pick up three more shifts/week from March to June. I won’t pick up that many as it throws off things at home, but it’s nice to have that option. We are going to start with the $200/paycheck in February and re-evaluate what additional lump sums to put towards CC debt at the end of each month. We made one additional $200 payment this month, but that’s about it. It’s a start at least!

2. We have a rental house that needs a new furnace. It’s still chugging along with no issues (PLEASE Murphy stay away!!), but it has to be on it’s last leg as it’s original to the house (so 29 years old :eek:). My DH gets an annual bonus in March that is roughly $4-5k. All of this will go into buying a new furnace for the rental. Not fun, but necessary. We have a HVAC guy we always use and said he can do both units for $4k (which is a GREAT deal!!) so the bonus *should* fully cover the cost.

3. IF we get a tax return, we’ll put that into savings, which we want to get to a minimum of $3,000 (it’s just under $1k now which is not so great, obviously). Any tax return money could also potentially go towards goals 4&5.

4. We have two weddings to attend this year- one June 30, the other July 7 :lovestruc One is in town for my SIL. My DH and I plus three of our kids are in the weddding party. IF I also attend the bachelorette party in Las Vegas (which I am leaning against) I am estimating our all in costs for the trip, wedding attire, etc to be about $1,500. The other wedding is out of town and the area is rather pricey. We are going to split an Airbnb with family, but our cost is still $200/night x3 nights. With food and gas, I’m budgeting $1,200 for this wedding.

5. We also take an annual trip to Maine. My uncle has a lake house there and it’s just beautiful. As it is the same side of the family that will be attending the July wedding, we may not be doing a reunion week in Maine this year. But, I am planning as if we are going, so another $1,000 for this week. We split food costs/adult and children so it’s an incredibly affordable and wonderful vacation. Hopefully it’s a go this year :angel:

6. Now for my personal goal- I REALLY want to make it to WDW this year. I miss it so much! I’d like to go the week after Thanksgiving. Since we have a big family, we need to save a MINIMUM of $5,000 for a fairly basic off-site stay. My DH feels strongly (which I begrudgingly agree) that we have to meet all other goals before starting to save for this one. So, CC debt paid off, money in savings, and wedding costs covered BEFORE we start our WDW fund. I say bring on the overtime for DH (which he has been able to get 10-15 hours/paycheck) and the extra shifts for me. :flower1:

Today I am taking my kids for a mini WDW fix- a weekend trip to see Disney on Ice :smickey: We’re staying with my sister, have a membership to the museum we’ll be going to tomorrow, and tickets were a Christmas present. So, $300 should cover the costs for this one. Hopefully less so we can get one baby step closer to starting our WDW fund :rainbow:
Although we don't pay for healthcare, DH worked for PEANUTS for at least 5 years with no raise or increase in benefits. He finally got a raise this past July. Your plan sounds doable. Enjoy Disney on Ice!

We are in the Midwest too! We have always been a driving family, so that helps save some cost. Although we’d eventually like to make it out to the PNW to visit good friends out there.
I would for sure have to look into allll the airline point tricks for that trip! We’ll see if I can convince my DH to put aside just a little bit for WDW each month. He tends to fall in-line more with Dave Ramsey and likes to keep the focus on one goal at a time. We’ll see how the year shakes out! :goodvibes

I agree, driving can save a ton! A friend of mine lives in GA and they drive to most of their vacation places since it's usually on the East Coast, such as the beaches, Disney, Discovery Cove and most recently they're driving to Port Canaveral in a few weeks for a cruise. Unfortunately in the Midwest our choices are a little more limited. Eight hours gets me too, oh hmm south Oklahoma maybe!

I hear you on airfare. We are west coast based. Have you checked out the Alaska Airlines offer right now? Spend $1000 in the first month and get 30k points AND a free companion pass.

I saw! I am contemplating that one. I feel like trying a travel card out for the sign up bonus points.

@Ngwira I've never stayed at a National Park, sounds beautiful. I'd like to take the kids to Yellowstone one day or Grand Canyon.

Woo-hoo my credit score has gone up 66 points in the last 3 months!!

Plugging away at my CC balance, saved $$ for our two trips and made payment on WDW balance.

Biggest news though.... found our new home in MA. Everything we need and in the area I dreamed of. Agent will be getting paperwork to me tomorrow. Can’t believe we are one step close to our move in June and that I’m doing this 3,000 miles away! Agent did check everything out on his visit. It’s a new build and will be done in May. Get to pick out everything. Bonus community takes care of yard work and snow removal in the low HOA fees.

DD got deferred at her last college choice, 2 acceptance, 2 deferred. Will find out by 4/1 if she gets into either of them. Hopefully sooner though. Waiting is hard. Choice will be hard too.

Happy weekend!!

Don't have too much debt thankfully. But I do have some saving goals and hopefully posting here will help me pay off things and save up:
-Pay off credit card by March (paycheck is delayed so this took a beating with Christmas)
-Start helping pay student loans
-Pay off Disney trip
-Buy a new laptop

Personal Goal:
-Get a new job

Worked some overtime and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to pay off my credit card YESTERDAY! Now on to the student loans and Disney trip!

Woo-hoo my credit score has gone up 66 points in the last 3 months!!

Plugging away at my CC balance, saved $$ for our two trips and made payment on WDW balance.

Biggest news though.... found our new home in MA.

wow that's fast in three months! Great news to find a new house!

Worked some overtime and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to pay off my credit card YESTERDAY! Now on to the student loans and Disney trip!

That is a great feeling!

On my debt update for the first month of January, I feel like my progress is stagnant. My main bills that cause stress are the ones that are not part of this household budget, I'm helping my DD out who is a single mother and the father of the baby isn't in the picture, but I've been paying school tuition and all the slack like difference in her rent and her car payment she couldn't cover. But, I've had the discussion over and over that come May I can no longer do it. She will be done with school. Her own dad (my ex) hasn't helped with a dime and won't he's pretty much useless, but I can't keep covering the extra expenses outside our household budget.

It's one reason budgeting doesn't work well for us. I have everything down, have a plan, and then suddenly, she has a car breakdown as her car is an old junker, or this month a rental issue because the lease expired on her current place, and needs to move anyway into a place that is much less rent since the last year rental payments were a struggle. So, now she has a new place she found with $200 a month less in rent, the current place the lease expired, but she doesn't have enough to cover a new downpayment. She's on WIC and is temporarily allowed some rental assistance in her state, but it doesn't cover everything and there are always gaps. She needs to be done with school and start working for one, and that will be in May. I wrestle with this because she's a single mother with no help and lives by herself away from relatives, but at the same time I can't keep up paying for things outside our main household as I still have young kids at home.

I work in the quality lab in a manufacturing plant. We run three shifts and I'm on first. Usually when someone is off the others split the shift and work 12s. It's not so bad if its just while someone is on vacation, but our third shift person quit in December so it's been almost 2 months :crazy2: Some OT is nice, but we always seem to run at very little or way too much. We also work weekends. This year they have made the rule that we can only work every other, but last year we often worked two weekends on and one off... and we also lost our second shift person last summer (though our new one is so much better!). So out of all of my biweekly paychecks last year, only two of them were around my base 80 hours. Every other one had at least 20 hours of OT for the period...

Got asked at work to take over recording the minutes for 2 different monthly board meetings. One downside is I get out of work at 4:30, will have to drive home 25 minutes then come back at 7PM. I'm hoping to find a yoga class or something to do with that downtime! Second is I only get paid twice a year. But the upsides are it's extra money and I get paid whether or not there are meetings that month.

In the end, I'm grateful for the opportunity and look forward to putting those checks towards my student loans! :goodvibes

I don’t remember if I gave you an EZpass update. I’ve only used it twice since the new year. Dh said this week that he has stopped using it. (We use it to get to/from work bc most days it cuts a lot of time). On my latest statement, it told us that due to a change in our usage on our 60-day review, our replenish amount has gone down by $105. It has been rebilling monthly but now with us not using it nearly as much, it should be a longer interval, which would be great. We’ve been spending over $500/month on it. If we can cut it even just in half I’d be happy.

wow that's fast in three months! Great news to find a new house!

That is a great feeling!

On my debt update for the first month of January, I feel like my progress is stagnant. My main bills that cause stress are the ones that are not part of this household budget, I'm helping my DD out who is a single mother and the father of the baby isn't in the picture, but I've been paying school tuition and all the slack like difference in her rent and her car payment she couldn't cover. But, I've had the discussion over and over that come May I can no longer do it. She will be done with school. Her own dad (my ex) hasn't helped with a dime and won't he's pretty much useless, but I can't keep covering the extra expenses outside our household budget.

It's one reason budgeting doesn't work well for us. I have everything down, have a plan, and then suddenly, she has a car breakdown as her car is an old junker, or this month a rental issue because the lease expired on her current place, and needs to move anyway into a place that is much less rent since the last year rental payments were a struggle. So, now she has a new place she found with $200 a month less in rent, the current place the lease expired, but she doesn't have enough to cover a new downpayment. She's on WIC and is temporarily allowed some rental assistance in her state, but it doesn't cover everything and there are always gaps. She needs to be done with school and start working for one, and that will be in May. I wrestle with this because she's a single mother with no help and lives by herself away from relatives, but at the same time I can't keep up paying for things outside our main household as I still have young kids at home.

I am kind of in the same boat and can understand the stress of helping an adult child out. Single parent here.
My situation is I do not want to move (I am going to pay off my Mortgage this March)--my home has everything I need and have worked for but it is just too small for myself and two adult sons. The two sons get along well enough but sharing a bedroom would be pushing it.
So I had given up my livingroom and dinning room area to my oldest son. He was laid off work and moved back home,,he also has child support payments which I am happy to say he always makes.
I have a separate dining room and today I decided to move everything out of the dining room and move him into there,
we are using bamboo room dividers right now to see how it goes.My living room is quite large and can accomodate me making it into a combination Living room/dining room,,I will have to get a smaller dining room table $$. If it works out I may hire a contractor to put up a wall/door and closet,new light fixture and maybe another outlet $ $$$ ..... I honestly thought that my kids would be gone at least 10 years ago.
To be fair the rental costs where I live are way out touch with what young people can afford.
I don't have any young kids at home like you but I am going to be leaving full time employment for part time employment in a month which is causing a fair amount of stress..I can't imagine the stress you are experiencing having both adult kid and young kid responsibilities and my heart goes out to you.
Hang in there Hon
Hugs Mel

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter