Debt Dumpers - 2018

Thanks! Very helpful. We are super high risk tolerant, to be honest. Income (current and future) is all but guaranteed so this is just extra money that we are okay with losing some of short term. Actually, I kind of feel like we should sit on it for awhile and wait for the markets to fall some more, and then buy in low.
Yes, I wish I did that but I watched for 2 months and was itching to get it out of savings and see it earn big $. It did for a while til around mid March.

Our June trip has a separate set of 2 day base tickets attached which was paid for via UR points. Based on our travel plans for 2018 and 2019, it would be best to upgrade to the AP in August and not June, so we could also fit in our annual August trip for next year using one AP. Now I am stalking flights for November so we can do MVMCP. We have tickets already for MNSSHP (August).
I had no idea you could get Disney tickets on UR, am I reading that right? I've never dug that deep in Chase UR to notice.

I had no idea you could get Disney tickets on UR, am I reading that right? I've never dug that deep in Chase UR to notice.
Yes you can.. and if you have the CSR, you can redeem them for 50 percent more value. Our $900 tickets cost around 58,000 UR..

Finally got around to looking into mine and my fiance's work benefits. We each get company match on 401K up to 6%. Apparently, I never set mine up to begin with and his was set at 2%. I started mine out at 2% and bumped his up to 3% for now and will hopefully get us both up to 6% by the end of the year.

It also looks like I might be able to pay off one of our loans this week! I'm not 100% sure yet, but based on our paystubs, I think I can swing it without making us too tight for the next two weeks. Otherwise, it will be paid off on the 3rd. I can't wait to get his paid off and then roll his payments into mine and knock mine out in 3 months instead of 6. Then I can snowball the extra $200/month towards getting his truck paid off before November!

This saving/extra payments is becoming an addicting thing!

Awesome! Another reason to love Chase UR points!! :lovestruc:love::cloud9:

What are Chase UR points?

With my new place I'm moving to, I can pay my rent online and use a cc if I want. I was thinking it would be a great opportunity to use a good rewards cc and pay it off immediately from my checking account each month. I have a Citi Preferred cc that I can redeem points for gift cards, so I was thinking I could use those for Target gift cards to put a dent in my grocery bill each month. Any other recommendations?

I've been following along but haven't had much to report!

We're currently hunting for a new apartment. Looking for a two bedroom. The problem is, everywhere nearby our place is turning into "Luxury" apartments. They all include tons of things we don't really need, like in unit washers and dryers (we have our own) and luxury fitness centers (we own a treadmill). Obviously, because of these extras, rent is hiked up.

Trying to find just a normal, middle range apartment complex is next to impossible now. If we do find one, it's generally a sump/ in an area where I wouldn't feel safe. So it looks like we're going to be forced into a luxury complex. It's affordable for us, but I hate throwing away money on more than we need that could go elsewhere.

We've looked into renting a house, but there aren't many available. I'd forgotten how much I hated this part of the moving process.

In other news, I'll be able to get a part time job again once we know where we will be living. I'm looking really forward to that and to having a paycheck.

We filed for DS's passport yesterday using some money he got for Easter/ Christmas. I'm glad that's done and we can focus on our cruise now! I have the money to pay it off and add trip insurance so I'll probably pay that off in a few weeks. I'm really looking forward to that trip- by the time we go it'll be about 1.5 years since we took a trip (and that trip was only a weekend at Hilton Head). We've also got a trip to Orlando (no Disney Parks though) planned for December. We'll probably still do a few Disney resort restaurants and Disney Springs and the Character Warehouse, though. We're staying at my mom's timeshare so most of our expenses are covered.

That's all I've got for now, happy debt dumping everyone!

What are Chase UR points?

With my new place I'm moving to, I can pay my rent online and use a cc if I want. I was thinking it would be a great opportunity to use a good rewards cc and pay it off immediately from my checking account each month. I have a Citi Preferred cc that I can redeem points for gift cards, so I was thinking I could use those for Target gift cards to put a dent in my grocery bill each month. Any other recommendations?
Start reading the "I love credit cards" thread. Chase UR points are transferable bank points or currency that you get and can redeem by obtaining and using certain Chase bank credit cards. The Chase Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve and Ink (business cards) cards all earn UR. Since you can pay rent with a credit card, you are in an ideal position to start earning large sign up bonuses which can allow you to travel for nearly free. There are tons of nuances and rules to this "game" which is also known as "churning" or "travel hacking". Good luck and ask any questions in the other thread.

Last edited:
Start reading the "I love credit cards" thread. Chase UR points are transferable bank points or currency that you get and can redeem by obtaining and using certain Chase bank credit cards. The Chase Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve and Ink (business cards) cards all earn UR. Since you can pay rent with a credit card, you are in an ideal position to start earning large sign up bonuses which can allow you to travel for nearly free. There are tons of nuances and rules to this "game" which is also known as "churning" or "travel hacking". Good luck and ask any questions in the other thread.

I've skimmed through that thread before but it's been a bit over my head. lol I need a beginner's guide. I do have the Chase Freedom card and will look into this. Thanks!

Just when I'm going to look at this new job/pay cut... other things happen. :( DH's parents' car is on it's last leg, and we had this loose idea that when the end came, maybe they would buy DH's car and he would get something else... like a truck he's been wanting for a long time. Well, the end has come about 6 months earlier than we were expecting. In 6 months we would have easily had my car paid off, but now we'd be dipping into that money for a down payment. I'm still going to find out more about this other job, but now it makes me anxious to continue two car payments as we figure out if we're moving, renting, or buying, and to take a pay cut...

@amalone1013 - A new job sounds great! I would never be able to handle the hours you work. 3am! :faint:
I'm just tired of feeling like I'm always working, and scheduling is always in crisis... like this weekend, they told us we were down, now they want to work... people made plans, we've had theatre tickets for months so I don't want to work OT, someone is out of town, and then I need to take a day off by Sunday or I'll break the rules, because I came in last Sunday. But if I don't take a weekend day off, I have to use PTO :mad:

Sometimes your sanity is worth more than the extra money but only you know if it’s worth it. It certainly can’t hurt to look at a new offer.
I feel like that's the point I'm at now. And we have decisions to make on moving vs rent/buy in our current area, but I feel like I never have time to sit with DH and figure it out.

I spoke to my Travel agent tonight and her agency has a deal for POR for the week of Nov 6-12 for $180 a night. I plan to book tonight and will secure flights when I see a good deal. Now to decide whether to buy our MVMCP tickets now or wait until August to secure our annual passes so we can buy them using the AP discount. We're doing the Friday, November 9th party.

I've been following along but haven't had much to report!

We're currently hunting for a new apartment. Looking for a two bedroom. The problem is, everywhere nearby our place is turning into "Luxury" apartments. They all include tons of things we don't really need, like in unit washers and dryers (we have our own) and luxury fitness centers (we own a treadmill). Obviously, because of these extras, rent is hiked up.

Trying to find just a normal, middle range apartment complex is next to impossible now. If we do find one, it's generally a sump/ in an area where I wouldn't feel safe. So it looks like we're going to be forced into a luxury complex. It's affordable for us, but I hate throwing away money on more than we need that could go elsewhere.

We've looked into renting a house, but there aren't many available. I'd forgotten how much I hated this part of the moving process.

In other news, I'll be able to get a part time job again once we know where we will be living. I'm looking really forward to that and to having a paycheck.

We filed for DS's passport yesterday using some money he got for Easter/ Christmas. I'm glad that's done and we can focus on our cruise now! I have the money to pay it off and add trip insurance so I'll probably pay that off in a few weeks. I'm really looking forward to that trip- by the time we go it'll be about 1.5 years since we took a trip (and that trip was only a weekend at Hilton Head). We've also got a trip to Orlando (no Disney Parks though) planned for December. We'll probably still do a few Disney resort restaurants and Disney Springs and the Character Warehouse, though. We're staying at my mom's timeshare so most of our expenses are covered.

That's all I've got for now, happy debt dumping everyone!

You can easily sell your washer/dryer and treadmill. We had to do that when we moved and I had several people lined up wanting to buy them. Got $600 for the W/D set and $250 for the treamill. So, worst case scenario...

I feel like that's the point I'm at now. And we have decisions to make on moving vs rent/buy in our current area, but I feel like I never have time to sit with DH and figure it out.

I'm so sorry. When I was working shiftwork, DH and I used to joke that we were ships passing in the night. I'd get off at 6 a.m., we'd see each other to 30 minutes, then he'd leave and I'd get the kids to school. I'd be up to get them off of the bus and make dinner. We kissed as he came home and I left for work. It's rough. We got to emailing each other to make decisions. We still do a lot of back and forth on texts. Granted, it's not face to face, but it helps make the time you have together more about you being together.

Almost had a massive budget "oops" this week. DH "forgot" to tell me he'd scheduled the state taxes to be taken out. Hurray for the baby cash bumper I'd built!

I've skimmed through that thread before but it's been a bit over my head. lol I need a beginner's guide. I do have the Chase Freedom card and will look into this. Thanks!
Also feel free to ask any questions on that thread, even as a beginner! People are very knowledgeable and helpful there :)

If your rent payment doesn't have a fee to use a credit card, you might as well use your card and earn the points, since you have the cash to make the payment anyways. If it does have a fee, it's still a good way to earn free travel (or cashback, etc) with sign up bonuses as @Ngwira said. For example, if you got a card with a signup bonus of 50k points for spending $3000, you're earning about 16 points per dollar, and that would most likely outweigh a 2%-3% fee on something you're spending and have the cash for anyways. The other thread can point you in the right direction, whether you decide to just do one card or would like to get a few :thumbsup2

I spoke to my Travel agent tonight and her agency has a deal for POR for the week of Nov 6-12 for $180 a night. I plan to book tonight and will secure flights when I see a good deal. Now to decide whether to buy our MVMCP tickets now or wait until August to secure our annual passes so we can buy them using the AP discount. We're doing the Friday, November 9th party.
AP discount is only $5 less so no point in waiting, right? I'm making fastpasses for our June trip at 7am tomorrow morning!

I'm so sorry. When I was working shiftwork, DH and I used to joke that we were ships passing in the night. I'd get off at 6 a.m., we'd see each other to 30 minutes, then he'd leave and I'd get the kids to school. I'd be up to get them off of the bus and make dinner. We kissed as he came home and I left for work. It's rough. We got to emailing each other to make decisions. We still do a lot of back and forth on texts. Granted, it's not face to face, but it helps make the time you have together more about you being together.

Almost had a massive budget "oops" this week. DH "forgot" to tell me he'd scheduled the state taxes to be taken out. Hurray for the baby cash bumper I'd built!
Hooray for cash bumpers! Isn't it nice to not have to worry when that stuff happens? :)

I was lucky enough to end up on day shift, but it feels like every time I turn around someone is off or sick and then we work 12 hours. And then we work the weekend. And then someone quits with no notice and we work 12 hours until someone is trained enough to go on shift by themselves. And after 12 hours I get home and want to do nothing but eat and go to bed. We use google hangouts throughout the day, and it's great for things like groceries and meal planning and sharing random Disney news :) But DH is very visual and not good at talking about money or deals that may come up that way.

We’ll be going to MVMCP the 8th! Buying tickets in a couple weeks once I (hopefully) have my new CIP.

We’ll be going to MVMCP the 8th! Buying tickets in a couple weeks once I (hopefully) have my new CIP.
Awesome! I thought about doing the 8th but not sure if the first party night will be super busy! Then again the 9th is a Friday so tons of locals may crowd the place. We are doing the Halloween party on a Friday night, though. Decisions, decisions.

Awesome! I thought about doing the 8th but not sure if the first party night will be super busy! Then again the 9th is a Friday so tons of locals may crowd the place. We are doing the Halloween party on a Friday night, though. Decisions, decisions.

I’m sure it’s going to be swamped the 8th but it’s our only available night since we’re going to HS the next day and plan on staying there all day and then likely moving to a Universal hotel that night. We’ll be arriving at Disney around noon on the 8th so it’ll be perfect timing for us to get there, check in and eat lunch, and then head to MK at 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter