Debt Dumpers - 2018

Hey has anyone seen Jen and Ashwin on here lately? I’m hoping she’s just busy and nothing is wrong. Won’t let me tag her name for some reason, but my iPad has been slow all night so maybe my connection is wonky.

I was wondering also - checked and it looks like she's been really busy with work and her most recent post was on the I love cc's thread a few weeks ago.

@Jen and Ashwin posted a couple weeks ago on the CC thread that she had been extremely busy (maybe work-related?) and was going to try to post an update soon. I'd been starting to wonder where she was too. Hopefully she can check back in soon.

Hubby's cell phone decided to completely die today while at work, so I guess we get to go cell phone shopping when he gets home. :worried::worried: We have been putting off upgrading for awhile, just because we finished paying off the stupid installments on these phones and I liked the lower bill. While technically I could just upgrade his and not mine, we'll probably do both just so we're on the same upgrade timeline.

So its been awhile since I checked into this thread. My father passed away in April so needless to say, it has not been a great few months. My parents live about 15 hours away so between traveling to be there for his final few weeks, traveling to his services, etc, I racked up a little bit of debt. However, that is money that absolutely needed to be spend and I don't regret a penny of it.

After he passed, my mom told me that he left explicit instructions for her to pay off all of their debts, including my brother and I's student loans. This came as a big shock. That saves me a few hundred dollars every month. While I am beyond grateful for that gift, I would obviously trade it in a second to have my dad back. But knowing him, it made him so happy to be able to do that for our family. And I intend to put those savings to good use.

So with those savings, my DH and I decided to finally book the Disney cruise we've been dreaming of-7 Nt. British Isles in 2019. I really wrestled with this. We've been talking about this cruise for quite awhile and never could pull the trigger. But if I got anything from my father, it is a crazy love of traveling (he was a retired airline pilot). And he always always always said that life is short...if you want to do something, you absolutely need to do it. So we did it. And I think he'd be beyond excited for us. Heck, I'm sure he'd book it with us in a second!

Long story short: Yes, it's important to pay off your debts, but don't forget to live and enjoy your life too! :goodvibes

@Jen and Ashwin posted a couple weeks ago on the CC thread that she had been extremely busy (maybe work-related?) and was going to try to post an update soon. I'd been starting to wonder where she was too. Hopefully she can check back in soon.

Hey guys! Sorry for making you all worried, but everything is alright over here. I have just been really busy with work and life. I had gotten a bit behind with reading the forums and it just felt a bit overwhelming to catch up, so I guess I haven't been on in a few weeks.

So I guess I will give a bit up an update.

We are doing well with finances in general. Our basement finish project is starting to pick up steam. We had an attic ladder installed so that we could make more room in the basement. And I ordered the insulation paneling to the tune of $3k. Have plumbers coming to give quotes this week and once the plumbing is trenched to the right spot for the bathroom and wet bar, we can start working on installing the insulation. We haven't had to tap the HELOC for the project yet. Lots of items have gone on 2 credit cards with 0% interest for 12 months. These cards also have the nice added bonus of getting us 5x points by purchasing Home Depot and Lowes gift cards at Office Max. Hoping to delay tapping into the HELOC for as long as possible so we pay as little interest as possible in the long run.

We have been pretty good with staying within our budget for our normal spending categories. We did make one big purchase early this month. We got a fancy bike trailer so that we could do family bike rides with DD. We chose the bike trailer because it will collapse so we can pack it into the car easily. We could have opted for a cheaper version, but DH really wanted top of the line and I liked the added safety and comfort features. My friend said he sold his trailer for 60% of what he originally paid for it a few years later, so that helped the decision. DD is now 9 months and big enough to sit upright while wearing a helmet. The trailer plus necessary accessories was about $800. I sold several items on Facebook Marketplace, which covered about 1/3 the cost. We took the remaining money from our DVC fund, so that is now $450 in the hole, but in the long run it isn't a huge deal. The DVC fund is now at $8100 and I am hoping to add a bit from extra per diem, since I have several work trips coming up. Once we hit $10k, I will start shopping for a new contract in earnest. Getting so close!

And since we have this new bike trailer, we decided to book a short getaway over Labor Day to a place in northern Michigan with a great bike trail. Just 4 hours driving distance. Booked a room with a cash and points deal, so 3 nights hotel will cost just $120. Hotel includes breakfast and we plan to pack a bit of food for the trip as well. Overall, it shouldn't be too expensive and DH is really excited for it.

Probably more to say, but I have to run to an appointment in a few minutes.

So its been awhile since I checked into this thread. My father passed away in April so needless to say, it has not been a great few months. My parents live about 15 hours away so between traveling to be there for his final few weeks, traveling to his services, etc, I racked up a little bit of debt. However, that is money that absolutely needed to be spend and I don't regret a penny of it.

After he passed, my mom told me that he left explicit instructions for her to pay off all of their debts, including my brother and I's student loans. This came as a big shock. That saves me a few hundred dollars every month. While I am beyond grateful for that gift, I would obviously trade it in a second to have my dad back. But knowing him, it made him so happy to be able to do that for our family. And I intend to put those savings to good use.

So with those savings, my DH and I decided to finally book the Disney cruise we've been dreaming of-7 Nt. British Isles in 2019. I really wrestled with this. We've been talking about this cruise for quite awhile and never could pull the trigger. But if I got anything from my father, it is a crazy love of traveling (he was a retired airline pilot). And he always always always said that life is short...if you want to do something, you absolutely need to do it. So we did it. And I think he'd be beyond excited for us. Heck, I'm sure he'd book it with us in a second!

Long story short: Yes, it's important to pay off your debts, but don't forget to live and enjoy your life too! :goodvibes

So sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you're able to get your student loans paid off, and I'm sure your father would be thrilled that you're able to take this vacation and enjoy yourself after the stress of dealing with his passing.

Feeling epicly broke this month even though I know I'm really not lol. I'm just paying off my credit cards from last month where I paid for my 6 months of car insurance and put $1000 towards my student loan, so my bank account looks low even though I know my net worth is actually increasing. My travel reimbursement for my conference in August comes in today though. This will be nice to have since I had to pay $350 to reserve a hotel room back in May out of my own pocket. August is also a 3 paycheck for me and DH so I'm looking forward to my bank account getting back to the arbitrarily decided number I like to see it at :rolleyes:

I've got everything budgeted and ready to go for our DL trip in 19 days! Can't wait to get there and really get a proper vacation!

Hey guys! Sorry for making you all worried, but everything is alright over here. I have just been really busy with work and life. I had gotten a bit behind with reading the forums and it just felt a bit overwhelming to catch up, so I guess I haven't been on in a few weeks.

So I guess I will give a bit up an update.

We are doing well with finances in general. Our basement finish project is starting to pick up steam. We had an attic ladder installed so that we could make more room in the basement. And I ordered the insulation paneling to the tune of $3k. Have plumbers coming to give quotes this week and once the plumbing is trenched to the right spot for the bathroom and wet bar, we can start working on installing the insulation. We haven't had to tap the HELOC for the project yet. Lots of items have gone on 2 credit cards with 0% interest for 12 months. These cards also have the nice added bonus of getting us 5x points by purchasing Home Depot and Lowes gift cards at Office Max. Hoping to delay tapping into the HELOC for as long as possible so we pay as little interest as possible in the long run.

We have been pretty good with staying within our budget for our normal spending categories. We did make one big purchase early this month. We got a fancy bike trailer so that we could do family bike rides with DD. We chose the bike trailer because it will collapse so we can pack it into the car easily. We could have opted for a cheaper version, but DH really wanted top of the line and I liked the added safety and comfort features. My friend said he sold his trailer for 60% of what he originally paid for it a few years later, so that helped the decision. DD is now 9 months and big enough to sit upright while wearing a helmet. The trailer plus necessary accessories was about $800. I sold several items on Facebook Marketplace, which covered about 1/3 the cost. We took the remaining money from our DVC fund, so that is now $450 in the hole, but in the long run it isn't a huge deal. The DVC fund is now at $8100 and I am hoping to add a bit from extra per diem, since I have several work trips coming up. Once we hit $10k, I will start shopping for a new contract in earnest. Getting so close!

And since we have this new bike trailer, we decided to book a short getaway over Labor Day to a place in northern Michigan with a great bike trail. Just 4 hours driving distance. Booked a room with a cash and points deal, so 3 nights hotel will cost just $120. Hotel includes breakfast and we plan to pack a bit of food for the trip as well. Overall, it shouldn't be too expensive and DH is really excited for it.

Probably more to say, but I have to run to an appointment in a few minutes.
Glad to hear from you, Jen. Seems like everything is going great with your little family. So happy that things are chugging along.

Feeling epicly broke this month even though I know I'm really not lol. I'm just paying off my credit cards from last month where I paid for my 6 months of car insurance and put $1000 towards my student loan, so my bank account looks low even though I know my net worth is actually increasing. My travel reimbursement for my conference in August comes in today though. This will be nice to have since I had to pay $350 to reserve a hotel room back in May out of my own pocket. August is also a 3 paycheck for me and DH so I'm looking forward to my bank account getting back to the arbitrarily decided number I like to see it at :rolleyes:

I've got everything budgeted and ready to go for our DL trip in 19 days! Can't wait to get there and really get a proper vacation!
Omg.. 19 days will be here in a blink of an eye! So exciting!! While not as exciting as your trip to DL, we’ll be in your neck of the woods in DC.

Looking forward to checking out your DL trip report..

Last edited:
I've been on the hunt for a cheaper used double jogging stroller for a few months now. Everything on marketplace was almost $100 and in awful condition. I was about to give up when the stars aligned and someone posted a brand new, still in box, double jogger for $60!!! They're $180+ new and the lady said she ended up with 2 as gifts from Christmas and she just uncovered it in the garage last week, so she wanted to bless another family with it. I figured with all the overtime I was working, the bills all paid, and our freezer full, I could splurge on myself for once.

In other good news, I got the yearly renewal for our car insurance that starts next month and insurance went down $100 a month!

We have done okay, maybe, probably really not. :) Our daughter getting married is turning into a larger expense than we had originally thought, however; she is our only child and the total will still only be about $4,000 which I'm not thinking is that bad (or maybe I'm just justifying the expense). She lives in a different state so we met last weekend half way to do dress and suit shopping. Got those out of the way so all we have left is the cake (I used to decorate cakes and am being horribly picky about it) and then small stuff; My husband and I have come up with a plan to pay what we put on the credit card off by the end of September hopefully so fingers crossed we can make it happen.

In the hey why not spend more money theme, I bought a cricut maker today. I am super excited to get it and use it!

We got rid of Verizon wireless and switched to Ting almost 2 years ago. Our cell bill for 2 phones used to be over $100 month. Now it has been $40 or under every month. The average is $ 37.40. That’s total for two phones. Coverage is the same as VW, great! I’m never switching back!

I am very lucky to be able to work from home full time.

However, my power went out yesterday and it's been out for 26 hours now. They say it'll be on between 8am and 4pm today.

Basically, I had to go to a cafe yesterday and today to work which means I'm spending way more money than usual on food and coffee (I can't sit here for 8 hours and not but stuff!!!). Plus I have to replace fridge items. Boo. I probably just won't contribute to savings on one of my paychecks to account for it.
Will your homeowners insurance cover the loss of cold items?

We got rid of Verizon wireless and switched to Ting almost 2 years ago. Our cell bill for 2 phones used to be over $100 month. Now it has been $40 or under every month. The average is $ 37.40. That’s total for two phones. Coverage is the same as VW, great! I’m never switching back!

I have Ting as well, although my bill for one phone has been averaging about $40/month. Trying to cut that down since you basically pay for what you use, although I don't like how some prices double if you go five minutes or five texts, etc into the next category.

Timing. My mom told me earlier that my grandma isn't doing well. She had a fall a few months ago and had a concussion. Recently, she fell again, and this time had a fairly bad stroke. My mom and her siblings have decided she isn't in the mental or physical health to live alone anymore and are having her moved to a nursing home.
I'm going to start picking up crazy hours and saving every penny the next several weeks. I'm hoping and praying that she can hold on a few more months so I can build up enough sick time and money to spend a week up there (I get 3 days paid for it, but it's in PA and I'm in OK and that's a long drive). So, for now, I'm trying to price out a hotel, the dog kennel, food, and gas for a trip I hopefully won't need to make for a few months.

I need wine.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug:
What a sweet person your father was to wish to pay off your student loans. Bittersweet but it sounds like he would be so happy for you to now be able to take a trip of a lifetime. His advice is spot on.

My grandmother lived until I was close to 50 yrs old; she was 99. She would always tell us to do trips and things like that when we can, and don't delay, because my grandfather put off a lot of things he had always wanted to do, planning to do them in retirement. When he died very suddenly he was only 66 and she was 62. He had just retired but she was still working and they never got to do all the things they dreamed of doing. :sad1:

Between her advice and me working in a hospital for 28 yrs, I'm a firm believer to not delay special trips. Even if one can more easily afford bigger trips later in life, our bodies/health may not cooperate. I trekked my parents all over Italy with walkers on our Med cruise because they both have heart and/or lung problems and while I was so happy to finally get my dad to see Italy (I had been pleading for him to go since 1990) he wished he had gone when he was younger and was able to walk long distances.
Hindsight is always 20/20. Enjoy planning this special trip! We are booked on the Magic the week before your sailing for the Northern Europe cruise but I'm having guilt pangs that we should save more for retirement.

I FINALLY put together a spreadsheet for my savings. I was dumping everything into one account and then trying to figure out what money went to what savings goal after the fact. No more!

Here is where I would usually recommend Capital One 360, a wonderful online bank with checking & savings (and investment stuff) but they allow up to something like 30 savings accounts, all under one log in, and you can give each one nicknames such as Vacation, Car Insurance, Escrow, Christmas, New Car, just some of the ones I have.
It has been a lifesaver for keeping me organized. Their interest rate was something like 1% which is still like 50x what my local bank offers for savings accounts.

Then someone on the bank account bonus website recommended Ally.com which I opened a checking account with around a year ago but just couldn't warm up to the feel of their website. I was used to Cap One and it's so simple but visually makes it easy to see what is where and transfer as needed.
Well recently I saw that Ally's interest rate was 1.60 so I made the switch. Ally also lets me set up all the savings accounts with nicknames and just recently the interest rate jumped again to 1.75%. That is almost double the Cap One rate. :thumbsup2 I know I could do a lot better with CDs or a Vanguard mutual fund as far as earning potential but these savings accounts are short term, 6-8 months, just a safe place to park some money that is set aside for future expenses.

I have Ting as well, although my bill for one phone has been averaging about $40/month. Trying to cut that down since you basically pay for what you use, although I don't like how some prices double if you go five minutes or five texts, etc into the next category.
Yes I agree, sometimes it’s unavoidable to go into the next tier in one of the catagories.
I use FB messenger with my Mom & husband, saves a lot of text charges. I FaceTime on WiFi with my grandkids & that saved on the charges as well.
You must use your phone a lot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter