December 2017 Car Rental Watch

We use Alamo, with the Costco code, and a coupon (AD2365FDN). Dec 9-24, would like a minivan, but booked a mid and std SUV. Std is over $700 for 16 days ($44 per day). Mid-SUV is $625. Very high, but wanted to get "something" and will rebook as prices come down (hopefully).

We use Alamo, with the Costco code, and a coupon (AD2365FDN). Dec 9-24, would like a minivan, but booked a mid and std SUV. Std is over $700 for 16 days ($44 per day). Mid-SUV is $625. Very high, but wanted to get "something" and will rebook as prices come down (hopefully).

Alamo rates have been dropping. Today has been the lowest we've seen so far. We now have std-SUV (Dec 9-24) for $534.69 & mid-SUV for $470.75.

Booked a while back- holiday time - Pick up at MCO (12-27), return to Tampa because we are spending the last part of our trip in Clearwater. Prices were crazy high (427 for mid size SUV for five days) but they are even higher now. Now it looks like we may end up flying both ways out of MCO and prices have jumped. Hoping Alamo will take pity and let me keep my rate if I change drop off to MCO - waiting until we make final decision on flights home before I ask the question. Maybe a miracle will happen and prices will drop a bit. Have never paid this much at this time of the year before- is usually half this price.

Booked a while back- holiday time - Pick up at MCO (12-27), return to Tampa because we are spending the last part of our trip in Clearwater. Prices were crazy high (427 for mid size SUV for five days) but they are even higher now. Now it looks like we may end up flying both ways out of MCO and prices have jumped. Hoping Alamo will take pity and let me keep my rate if I change drop off to MCO - waiting until we make final decision on flights home before I ask the question. Maybe a miracle will happen and prices will drop a bit. Have never paid this much at this time of the year before- is usually half this price.
I don't think Alamo will not take pity on you. Sorry!

ETA: Do you NEED an SUV? Also, when do you arrive? One Christmas trick is to take a cab to a nearby local car rental location and then return to MCO. For instance, Enterprise has a full sized car available at 4988 S Orange Ave, Orlando, FL 32806 for $258 all-in with a return to MCO.

Last edited:

I just booked a full size from Advantage for $303 for Dec 30th-Jan 5th. Used code SMBNS11512. Hoping to see prices drop but thrilled to lock in at $300 had seen prices double that.

I just booked a full size from Advantage for $303 for Dec 30th-Jan 5th. Used code SMBNS11512. Hoping to see prices drop but thrilled to lock in at $300 had seen prices double that.

The code didn't work for my January dates :( I did manage to get a 10 day economy through Alamo for $200 (everywhere else including Alamo without these codes was $400-$500 :scared1:) using product code AS1 and contract ID 7015309. Hope it helps some of you get it down.

I must have missed the day that rates were down, or I didn't start looking early enough:( I have not been able to find anything reasonable and haven't booked for December 2-9. I'm used to paying about or less than $150 for our annual trip, and I haven't found anything less than $220 or so (now it's more like $250). Any ideas? I usually book Dollar and go with whatever is cheapest since it's only two of us.

I must have missed the day that rates were down, or I didn't start looking early enough:( I have not been able to find anything reasonable and haven't booked for December 2-9. I'm used to paying about or less than $150 for our annual trip, and I haven't found anything less than $220 or so (now it's more like $250). Any ideas? I usually book Dollar and go with whatever is cheapest since it's only two of us.
Prices are extraordinarily high this year. For the most part, you have not missed anything yet.
I believe the different companies should start some aggressive pricing soon in an effort to grab the business away from each other.

Last edited:

Check daily is really the only option. I have a mini van from 12/7 to 12/14. My price is like $225. I booked that in April. Thought it would go down but hasn't went below $350 yet. I also try bidding on Priceline also.

If you have Costco use the Costco Travel website. Sometimes they have good deals. Thats were I booked originally.
I've checked Costco since I hear great things (even though I'm not a member). They're still crazy high! I'll keep checking. I've considered joining anyway, so if they have a good price, I'd join!

Subscribing.... I also have not found anything wonderful. 12/15-12/19 $145 for a compact through Thrifty. Hoping it will drop soon.

We are going 12/24 to 1/5 I was flying into Orlando and out of Tampa, on Southwest. We are staying in St. Petes beach our second week, Once I had flights I was happy with I went to look at car rentals, and saw $700 plus, was like screw this we will drive from Ontario, but forgot I had booked a car months ago picking up in Orlando and dropping off in Orlando. Found the reservation in my emails and was like I am flying in and out of MCO Budget full size I have booked was $313 for the whole time.

I keep plugging in the coupon above, and 15000 (AP holder) contract ID - have a mid-sized SUV with Alamo - Dec 15-24 - for $295 all-in (including pre-paid fuel).

My rate went down about $15. I am still with thrifty, $130 for 12/15-12/19. I did click on city specials and I also clicked pay later.

I'm with Alamo in December. Renting a minivan for 5 days for $238, which I guess is okay.

I think that's really good. Granted our trips are usually 7 days but I can never find a minivan for less than $400-500. Since we don't "need" the minivan, (we just like it because we have one at home) we usually take a full size car for 1/2 the price. A couple of times we've gotten lucky including one 10 day trip with a 3hr drive in the middle when we got a Town & Country with DVD player!! It was amazing.

I think that's really good. Granted our trips are usually 7 days but I can never find a minivan for less than $400-500. Since we don't "need" the minivan, (we just like it because we have one at home) we usually take a full size car for 1/2 the price. A couple of times we've gotten lucky including one 10 day trip with a 3hr drive in the middle when we got a Town & Country with DVD player!! It was amazing.

Yes we usually take the smallest car we can comfortably fit all 5 of us in for our trips, because we just like the added convenience of driving to/from the parks. However this time my FIL has decided to join us last minute, so we really do NEED to hold 6 people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter