DECEMBER 2017 DISCOUNTS AND CODE WATCH

After trying about ten times to change my existing AKL reservation, I ended up booking a new one and then canceling the first one. I could not get the room only deal to show up when I tried to just change, as others have said. I saved $2000 on a club level savanna view room for 12/10 to 12/21 so I am happy.

I just tried putting in for an 8 night stay at my resort and there was a standard room available for $440 per night. I put in for my regular 6 night stay (same dates minus 2 days beforehand) and its coming up that they don't have that room available but a $1200 one. So that room would've been able to fit me as long as I spend an extra 2 days in it? I don't get their train of thought. Many people will stay at a resort for only two nights before changing resorts or heading to US. Makes me wonder if online has some glitches so now I am on the phone with a 60 minute wait and trying again for a deal. I might just call everyday in hopes that people cancel or they add more rooms to the deal which they sometimes do. I can't see that people aren't cancelling their rack rate rooms now that they couldn't find a deal and will go another month like a pp said she was doing. I would if I didn't already book my flight and MVMCP. Silly me. I always wait but had such confidence in a RO for AKL that I pulled the trigger early this time.

Now we wait for the AP discount! Again, probably will be pretty slim, but maybe some more options from open DVC rooms.

I just tried putting in for an 8 night stay at my resort and there was a standard room available for $440 per night. I put in for my regular 6 night stay (same dates minus 2 days beforehand) and its coming up that they don't have that room available but a $1200 one. So that room would've been able to fit me as long as I spend an extra 2 days in it? I don't get their train of thought. Many people will stay at a resort for only two nights before changing resorts or heading to US. Makes me wonder if online has some glitches so now I am on the phone with a 60 minute wait and trying again for a deal. I might just call everyday in hopes that people cancel or they add more rooms to the deal which they sometimes do. I can't see that people aren't cancelling their rack rate rooms now that they couldn't find a deal and will go another month like a pp said she was doing. I would if I didn't already book my flight and MVMCP. Silly me. I always wait but had such confidence in a RO for AKL that I pulled the trigger early this time.

Hmm... you may be on to something! I started playing around too, and I am noticing that if I add a couple more days, the discount shows up! So I wonder if we could book a package with the extra days and the discount, but then call and take those days off and still keep the discount? Hmmmmm....

More stuff showed up this morning. I was able to switch my standard at ASMo to the discount rate. Yesterday only preferred rooms were showing. Saved $13, lol!

It's weird, many rooms are more expensive with the discount applied. Was looking at it last night. I really think they raised prices for the discount then applied it. So be aware-check both ways!

ETA:
Screenshot_2017-07-18-09-25-23-1.png Screenshot_2017-07-18-09-34-05-1.png
Thse were both done using the same date range in December.

Last edited:
What a weird system. If I extend my 8 night reservation to 10, a YC club level room pops up. Otherwise, I don't see it with my current dates. Makes no sense!

Hmm... you may be on to something! I started playing around too, and I am noticing that if I add a couple more days, the discount shows up! So I wonder if we could book a package with the extra days and the discount, but then call and take those days off and still keep the discount? Hmmmmm....
That's what my husband was thinking.

It's weird, many rooms are more expensive with the discount applied. Was looking at it last night. I really think they raised prices for the discount then applied it. So be aware-check both ways!

ETA:
View attachment 253913 View attachment 253914
Thse were both done using the same date range in December.
That's what happened to me. Akl standard room package with 20% for us went down to $4500 yet that's how much I paid without a 20% discount. So they actually upped the price and brought it back down with a discount to make people think they get a few. Ridiculous

Now we wait for the AP discount! Again, probably will be pretty slim, but maybe some more options from open DVC rooms.
Can you apply an AP discount with a 20% general public discount or you will need to cancel the general public RO when the AP one comes out?

Can you apply an AP discount with a 20% general public discount or you will need to cancel the general public RO when the AP one comes out?
You don't get both - it's one or the other. Usually, AP discount is about 5% more than GP offer BUT much less availability. AKL does always seem available. But, it seems they will make you re-book v apply to current reservation

Has anyone had any luck this a.m. having cm apply discount to current reservation?

I was able to book a new reservation at the same resort and same room this morning, for $97/night cheaper. I wasn't able to apply the discount to my existing reservation, so I just cancelled that once the new one was booked.

You don't get both - it's one or the other. Usually, AP discount is about 5% more than GP offer BUT much less availability. AKL does always seem available. But, it seems they will make you re-book v apply to current reservation
So if AP': come out maybe I'll have a chance to snatch a general RO if someone switches.

Has anyone had any luck this a.m. having cm apply discount to current reservation?
I called and my wait was even longer. In phone for 1h 35 minutes and tried to apply to my current res and also tried to make a new res

I called and my wait was even longer. In phone for 1h 35 minutes and tried to apply to my current res and also tried to make a new res
Honestly, I AM really surprised they are not letting people apply to existing reservations. Clearly, we want to come and discount is minor. WDW still making tons of $$$ on rooms. Instead, making consumers frustrated and angry.

Been playing on site any number of ways this a.m. and still nothing. Even trying to find someplace with a lower rack rate. Nothing. Maybe everyone booked ahead of time hoping for a discount they could apply and no one wants to cancel yet. I imagine at some point there will be lots of cancellations since WDW has us trained to expect resort discounts in some form.

So if AP': come out maybe I'll have a chance to snatch a general RO if someone switches.
Yes. very likely especially if people start canceling AND wdw let's the discount apply to the canceled room inventory. That's why I haven't canceled my existing and just hope I could catch it however many minutes later. There is no way I am going to pay rack rate for a 9 night stay deluxe. Not happening. Never done it and never will. I've always had a bounce back, AP rate, or UOC or even the GP offer a few times. It is just a matter of when do I cancel since room only. I imagine I will wait until the absolute last minute once airfare are too high.

Our May 2016 trip I wanted to add nights and there was NEVER any availability. The week before a ton opened up. Just a matter of it all aligning - airfare, resort, and I guess dining and FPs too.

Last edited:
Yes. very likely especially if people start canceling AND wdw let's the discount apply to the canceled room inventory. That's why I haven't canceled my existing and just hope I could catch it however many minutes later. There is no way I am going to pay rack rate for a 9 night stay deluxe. Not happening. Never done it and never will. I've always had a bounce back, AP rate, or UOC or even the GP offer a few times. It is just a matter of when do I cancel since room only. I imagine I will wait until the absolute last minute once airfare are too high.

Our May 2016 trip I wanted to add nights and there was NEVER any availability. The week before a ton opened up. Just a matter of it all aligning - airfare, resort, and I guess dining and FPs too.
Ugh! Me either. Never went to Disney without a discount and told myself I never would. Now Since I've booked it my hopes are up and I just can't cancel now! My poor 9 year old has been in and out of the hospital these past 9 months and we are surprising her. I can't just cancel. Come on Disney! Do your magic lol

Honestly, I AM really surprised they are not letting people apply to existing reservations. Clearly, we want to come and discount is minor. WDW still making tons of $$$ on rooms. Instead, making consumers frustrated and angry.

Been playing on site any number of ways this a.m. and still nothing. Even trying to find someplace with a lower rack rate. Nothing. Maybe everyone booked ahead of time hoping for a discount they could apply and no one wants to cancel yet. I imagine at some point there will be lots of cancellations since WDW has us trained to expect resort discounts in some form.
Yes. There will be cancellations. It's just a matter if they will apply the discount to others or just void it out. I got a little inside info I will share with you all even though most of you already know... I spoke to a nice CM today and she said people have 3 days to reserve a resort without putting a down payment. A lot of times wth a promotion people end up booking spontaneously and don't end up paying and the room is back open to the public. She said to try again on Thursday or Friday. Let's hope she's right. I purposely booked animal kingdom because they are such a large resort and always have availability and are always part of the promotions.

Yes. There will be cancellations. It's just a matter if they will apply the discount to others or just void it out. I got a little inside info I will share with you all even though most of you already know... I spoke to a nice CM today and she said people have 3 days to reserve a resort without putting a down payment. A lot of times wth a promotion people end up booking spontaneously and don't end up paying and the room is back open to the public. She said to try again on Thursday or Friday. Let's hope she's right. I purposely booked animal kingdom because they are such a large resort and always have availability and are always part of the promotions.

Really? I've never heard of that. Packages are a $200 deposit and room-only is the first night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter