December 2018 Check-in Thread

Villas at the Grand Californian from 12/28/18 to 1/1/19. Might shorten that one night if we decide to spend NYE elsewhere, not sure yet. We will be waiting to book a Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour on the 29th for a 40th birthday celebration!

Welcome to the new posters! I have added all of you to the list.

December 6th - 12th Desert Inn

We haven't been in the parks around Christmastime since 2007 so I am excited (though nervous about crowds!)

I am no expert on the holiday crowds for this time of year, but my gut tells me you should be fine for the week days since your stay is in the early part of December. The weekends are usually significantly busier. I heard Maxpass may be a good option, but I know very little of how it works. I am sure there is a thread here all about how Maxpass works and how to use it.

Villas at the Grand Californian from 12/28/18 to 1/1/19. Might shorten that one night if we decide to spend NYE elsewhere, not sure yet. We will be waiting to book a Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour on the 29th for a 40th birthday celebration!

Howdy neighbor! I think taking a Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour is a great way to celebrate a milestone birthday! And during the Holidays, too. Hmm.. I think it would make a great Christmas present, too. Now how to drop a that hint to my DH.

Villas at Grand Californian Dec. 25-31. Our first ever trip to Disneyland and cannot wait!!

Another neighbor! You will love DLR during this time of the year. But come prepared. Gets lots of info from the threads here. I am sure there is a 2017 Holiday Thread to give you a heads up.

Yeah...we plan to get 5-day hoppers. We'll go to the park Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. We'll do other things on the weekend.
My son has autism so we may get the DAS pass if the lines are too much for him.

Yeah...we plan to get 5-day hoppers. We'll go to the park Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. We'll do other things on the weekend.
My son has autism so we may get the DAS pass if the lines are too much for him.
I’d got the pass the first day. The overload builds up as the trip goes on. Our 5th day was a total waste this year because they were so overloaded despite the DAS the whole time. And we spent very little time in the parks. Around 3 hours at a time. No more than 2 x per day.

I’d got the pass the first day. The overload builds up as the trip goes on. Our 5th day was a total waste this year because they were so overloaded despite the DAS the whole time. And we spent very little time in the parks. Around 3 hours at a time. No more than 2 x per day.

We didn't get it at all during our last trip. But he's behaviors and tolerance for certain things have definitely changed since last summer. I worry about what things will be like in December. I get super stressed when I think about it. During the last trip, we didn't wait in any lines more than 15 minutes or so. And he seemed content to just look around and play with the ropes/chains dividing the line. But lines will probably be a lot longer in December. Especially for the Christmas overlays of rides.

My husband is having a school conference at the convention area. I will be going with him and a friend so my friend and I can visit the parks and hubby can join us later at the end of his conference days. Staying at Howard Johnson Dec 01-05 . Can't wait to try out the new GotG Ride and get some Carthay Circle Lounge beverages!

December 2-10 at the Fairfield Inn!

DH will finish his participation in a lengthy clinical trial for Mantle Cell Lymphoma in August, and we're hopeful he'll have enough of his energy back to really enjoy the parks this Christmas season. We are both so thankful that MaxPass will help cut back on running back and forth! This summer he'll work on his stamina by walking the trails in the national park (I need to, as well) so he'll be ready for the daily miles at Disneyland.

December 5-9. But just an FYi for all those going the first week of December- it is a very busy week. I know a lot of people book the first week thinking it is not too bad- it used to be fairly quiet- but the last few years has been very busy. Only week I can go- so I still go- and will still have a great time- but have learned to expect crowds and plan accordingly. Part of the reason so busy that week is it is the last full week (not including the weekend) that the South Cal AP is valid.
As long as you go with the right mindset, you will still have a great time. But the last week of November tends to be much less busy. If I could go that week, I would.

December 5-9. But just an FYi for all those going the first week of December- it is a very busy week. I know a lot of people book the first week thinking it is not too bad- it used to be fairly quiet- but the last few years has been very busy. Only week I can go- so I still go- and will still have a great time- but have learned to expect crowds and plan accordingly. Part of the reason so busy that week is it is the last full week (not including the weekend) that the South Cal AP is valid.
As long as you go with the right mindset, you will still have a great time. But the last week of November tends to be much less busy. If I could go that week, I would.

Our park days are likely going to be...
Thursday 6th
Friday 7th
Monday 10th
Tuesday 11th
Wednesday 12th

(Or maybe we'd go on Saturday and not Monday??)

What do you think of those days? We will get Maxpass and likely DAS for our son so I'm not super concerned with wait times really. I'm more worried about the congested walkways since our son has autism, is a runner, and also doesn't do well with tight crowds.

I thought this week would be better than the last week of November since it rolls into the first week of December and the candlelight thing would be going on.

Last edited:
Our park days are likely going to be...
Thursday 6th
Friday 7th
Monday 10th
Tuesday 11th
Wednesday 12th

(Or maybe we'd go on Saturday and not Monday??)

What do you think of those days? We will get Maxpass and likely DAS for our son so I'm not super concerned with wait times really. I'm more worried about the congested walkways since our son has autism, is a runner, and also doesn't do well with tight crowds.

I thought this week would be better than the last week of November since it rolls into the first week of December and the candlelight thing would be going on.

It doesn't seem to be so bad around Candlelight with the exception of the actual weekend. The days before are normally some of the lighter of the Christmas season. I think Friday the 7th will be very busy, but hopefully the other days you should be able to navigate okay. If you are doing both parks, perhaps do California Adventure on Friday when it is busier at Disneyland- this is what we normally do.

My apologies for not updating the list as I should. I got a new job recently. With training and adjusting to a new schedule, I just haven't had the time to keep this up. Things have settled down and gotten back to a routine, although a new one at that.

Onto the list!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter