December 2019 Disney DIY Exercise Challenge

Twilight Sparkle

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the December 2019 Exercise Challenge! From cooking to crafting, this month's theme will focus on Disney DIY projects. Even though I'm not crafty myself, I was inspired by a couple of posts from last month's challenge to dig deeper into the world of Disney DIY. I'll highlight a different project each day and you'll post your active minutes for the month.

Monday and Wednesday will feature Disney recipes.
Tuesday and Thursday will feature crafty creations.
Favorite Friday is your chance to share a favorite Disney DIY - can be anything you feel like posting - something you've made, a recipe you've personally used, or something you hope to make in the future.
Saturday and Sunday are wild card days.

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! If you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal, and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. (You can post daily or just catch up when you can.) You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day. Since December has 31 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 465
20 minutes/day = 620
30 minutes/day = 930
45 minutes/day = 1395
1 hour/day = 1860

One of the special motivations of our Disney exercise challenge is color changing! This post will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress. I feel like Mary Poppins was a DIY advocate (for life skills, anyway), so I've taken this month's color names from Mary Poppins:

10% - Bert Blue
25% - George Orange
50% - Winifred Purple
75% - Jane Pink
90% - Michael Red
100% - Mary Green

We’re officially starting this challenge on December 1st, but if you don’t find this thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join!! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Have a great month, everyone!!

Team Members:
Twilight Sparkle 2090/1860
Sophy1996 970/1200
PollyannaMom 475/500
Elizabeth Smith 750/750
BonnieF 90/750
Piglet1979 697/930

ljcrochet 640/400
-------------------------
Total - 5712/6390 89%

Last edited:

I'm starting the month off with a 30 minute walk so far. 30/1860

And, because this is the DIY I most wish I could successfully do, let's learn to make Minnie Ears (no sew version, of course!):

If anyone here has made ears or makes ears after seeing this video, please share pics with us! : )

I'm going with 400 minutes this month.
I have 7 minutes so far from my crazy adventure home. We had a 5:25 flight home. Flight got pushed back a few times to 8ish. We headed to the airport around 5:30, as soon as pulled away from my brother in law house we got a text flight is now 10. By the time we got to the airport another text that flight is 10:30. Flight kept on getting pushed back and back. We didn't start boarding till after 1. We landed at 4:30 am instead of the 7:30 it was supposed to be. DH had an 8:30 flight for work this morning and since airport is 40 minutes from our house, we stayed at an airport hotel for a few hours of sleep. The girls and I took a lyft home when DH went to catch his flight. After his meeting today he is going shopping to old navy or target.

I can't wait to see the different disney crafts.

I'm going with 400 minutes this month.
I have 7 minutes so far from my crazy adventure home. We had a 5:25 flight home. Flight got pushed back a few times to 8ish. We headed to the airport around 5:30, as soon as pulled away from my brother in law house we got a text flight is now 10. By the time we got to the airport another text that flight is 10:30. Flight kept on getting pushed back and back. We didn't start boarding till after 1. We landed at 4:30 am instead of the 7:30 it was supposed to be. DH had an 8:30 flight for work this morning and since airport is 40 minutes from our house, we stayed at an airport hotel for a few hours of sleep. The girls and I took a lyft home when DH went to catch his flight. After his meeting today he is going shopping to old navy or target.

I can't wait to see the different disney crafts.

Having recently dealt with air travel difficulties myself, I feel for you. You guys must be exhausted. I hope your DH has no trouble on his flight home.

We have some numbers on the board, so we're off to a good start.

For our first Disney recipe, I'm sharing a recipe for one of my family's favorite Epcot treats - school bread from Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe. DD and I make this treat at least a couple of times a year, one of those times will usually be around Christmas. They make a fun Christmas morning pastry.

Here's the recipe we use, but we replace the vanilla pudding with Julia Child's Creme Patissiere recipe from Mastering the Art of French Cooking:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/norwegian-school-bread-skolebrod-2952857
I also found another copycat recipe that already contains a homemade custard recipe though it varies a bit from the one we use:

https://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/527138387/school-bread-from-kringla-bakeri-og-kafe-epcot/
I'll try to remember to take pics when we make these this season so I can share them with you all. Too bad I can't share the actual buns!

Have you made these at home? If so, what recipe do you prefer? Feel free to share with our group. Have you tried the Epcot school bread? What did you think?

Since I didn't do any exercise yesterday, I pushed myself a little extra today. Adding 90 minutes.

90/750

I have made ears before myself. I used a sewing machine for the first pair and hand sewed the others. I definitely found hand sewing to have a better result, even though the sewing machine was muuucccchhh faster.
Animal Kingdom Entrance by Elizabeth Smith, on Flickr
Big Top Mickey Rice Crispy by Elizabeth Smith, on Flickr

For the school bread, I have tasted it before at Epcot. It's not my favorite treat, but I still like it. It is not at the top of my make at home list.
I have made a few other Disney World recipes at home myself. I have made the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake from Liberty Tree Tavern which was just okay, honestly. I tried to make the bread pudding with banana foster sauce from Ohana too. It was wayyyy too sweet when we made it. The two most successful recipes we have made at home are the Cheeseburger Egg rolls and dole whip. The Dole Whip is super easy and really nice. It's better at WDW, though. But! Our Cheeseburger Egg Rolls are actually better than at WDW! I don't really have recipes for those 2. For the Cheeseburger Egg roll, I just kind of wing it whenever I make it and it always turns out nicely. The Dole Whip recipe is just frozen pineapple, coconut milk, a pinch of salt, and a squeeze of lime juice, blended until a smooth, soft-serve-like texture.

We have our first color changes on the board! Congrats to Twilight Sparkle (me) and Elizabeth Smith for reaching Bert Blue!

Bath bombs make a great stocking stuffer or luxurious gift (packaging idea: include in a basket with a nice candle and plush towel set). I have for you today two Disney inspired bath bomb recipes:

https://family.disney.com/craft/mickey-bath-bombs/
and for the princess loving recipient:

https://sugarspiceandglitter.com/diy-belles-bath-bombs/
I found various colored flowers available from Wilton, too, so you could also take this same idea for Belle and customize it to work for different Disney princesses.

DD and I might have to give the bath bombs a try over the holidays. Even if they turn out looking like Pinterest fails, they can still be used in the bath and no one else ever has to know how disastrous they look! : ) (I'm not feeling very optimistic about my skills)

Since I didn't do any exercise yesterday, I pushed myself a little extra today. Adding 90 minutes.

90/750

I have made ears before myself. I used a sewing machine for the first pair and hand sewed the others. I definitely found hand sewing to have a better result, even though the sewing machine was muuucccchhh faster.
Animal Kingdom Entrance by Elizabeth Smith, on Flickr
Big Top Mickey Rice Crispy by Elizabeth Smith, on Flickr

For the school bread, I have tasted it before at Epcot. It's not my favorite treat, but I still like it. It is not at the top of my make at home list.
I have made a few other Disney World recipes at home myself. I have made the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake from Liberty Tree Tavern which was just okay, honestly. I tried to make the bread pudding with banana foster sauce from Ohana too. It was wayyyy too sweet when we made it. The two most successful recipes we have made at home are the Cheeseburger Egg rolls and dole whip. The Dole Whip is super easy and really nice. It's better at WDW, though. But! Our Cheeseburger Egg Rolls are actually better than at WDW! I don't really have recipes for those 2. For the Cheeseburger Egg roll, I just kind of wing it whenever I make it and it always turns out nicely. The Dole Whip recipe is just frozen pineapple, coconut milk, a pinch of salt, and a squeeze of lime juice, blended until a smooth, soft-serve-like texture.

Wow! Those look great!!!! You did a wonderful job on the ears. It doesn't surprise me, though. After seeing that one piece you created (tiki room inspired wasn't it?), I know you're quite talented! Great pics, too, by the way. Thank you for sharing!

We've made Dole Whips at home, too, but I have never heard about adding lime juice. I'll try that next time! I love making them in the summer. Such a yummy treat.

I'm going to have to look for an Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake recipe now. Hopefully I can find a good one. It's so rich, though, it would take the three of us forever to eat a batch.

Congrats on your success with the Cheeseburger Egg Rolls. DH would probably love them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!