Deciding on the right number of points

Staren

Mouseketeer
I'm in the process of figuring out the right number of points for my first DVC contract, and I'd love some extra opinions. I think eventually I would like to have enough DVC points to be able to do two weeks in studios or a week plus or minus in 1 bedrooms. That's a little too expensive right now though, so I'm trying to figure out a starting purchase.

I'm thinking of starting with a contract of around 150 points or a bit more. Right now I like taking trips in the off seasons, middle of January or early December. So depending on where I buy I would need 110 to 125 points for a one week trip. If I go for 150, that gets me a one week trip or lake view at VGF if I can snag it at 7 months. (A trip I really want to do relatively soon). However, if I go up a little higher to around 170 it would allow me to do one week long trip at my home resort and a slightly shorter trip at one of the cheaper resorts per year, or do a 1 bedroom at one of the cheaper resorts.

I don't want to go over about 170 points for another reason. The up front cost I can handle, but where I am at right now, I want to limit my dues cost to about $100 per month or $1,200 per year.

I'm also looking at the best UY for me. I think I have it figured out, but again I'd like to run it by some people who know this stuff. I'm thinking the later in the year the better. If I have my points come up in December and my regular trips are December or January, that gives me the most time to use the points if my plans change for the year. Am I thinking about this right?

Finally, I'm debating my home resort. I've narrowed it down to VGF or CCV. Either VGF resale or CCV direct. I think I would be happy with either as my home resort. That's something I think I just need to keep doing research on.

Your needs will change with time. If you end up loving WDW, you may end up buying more than one resort. Don't forget that you can bank and borrow to increase your available points for a vacation. Owning DVC can save you money on the same room if booked through Disney, renting a reservation from an existing owner can also save you money.

Select the best UY for your vacation patterns, the 8 months that you would vacation most often.
Buy where you love to stay.
Book at 11 months.
Buy resale if you can.
If you buy additional contracts, keep the same UY and names on deeds.
If you intend to buy a small direct contract for the perks, buy now before the minimum increases.
DVD/DVC marketing can change the perks at any time.
Perks and policies tend to change when management changes and management just changed.
Expect to spend more on Disney vacations after you buy DVC.

:earsboy: Bill

Early December and early January are high DVC demand times because the points requirements are low. Mid-December through New Years is high demand because of the season, and high points requirements as well. Throw in the marathon in January, and you are sure to be frustrated trying to book at 7 months in December or early January. If you're set on either VGF or CCV, and want to stay there during those times, you'll need to buy at one of those resorts.

If you're travelling December through February, you should be looking for a December use year.

You should check the points charts to see how many points are required. Consider that you may not be able to a standard view studio even at 11 months, as they are always in high demand. You may have to move up a category some years.

My wife and I initially purchased 160 points at BLT resale. That got us, IIFC, about 8 nights in a lake view studio at BLT. We later did a small direct add-on (because resale add ons just weren't available at the size we wanted) to bring us up to 2 weeks in a lake view studio at BLT during our favored early February vacation time.

We only vacation at WDW during the cooler months, October through May so we have an October UY. We have stayed during Food and Wine, Thanksgiving, every year early December, New Years, and during Flower and Garden in May. That covers all of the dates that we enjoy.

:earsboy: Bill

The big issue with VGF and early December is that the request for studios during the first two weeks is so high that it's difficult to book them even with the home resort advantage, booking at 11 months right the moment reservations open. It's easier in the last two weeks of January, marathon week end in particular is one of the most difficult bookings to score.

CCV is not sold out yet, so it's speculation at this point, but everything points to an even more difficult situation than VGF. The ratio of studios/total points at the resort is even worst than VGF.

figuring out the right number of points for my first DVC contract
The necessary number of points does vary, but should start with what you can afford to purchase right now (preferably without financing). So if you have a set amount to spend - where could you get the most bang for your buck but still be at a resort that you like. VGF is very points expensive for the same room type elsewhere. Check out this site and plug in what dates you might be looking at and comparing at a glance what each resort and room type costs. https://www.dvcrequest.com/cost-calculator.asp

Your needs will change as your life changes (I don't think you gave any insight as to a family or not). This is where people might start small but will add on to accommodate larger rooms or just add on to have another resort to go to.

I want to limit my dues cost to about $100 per month or $1,200 per year.
So this will change every year -- if you are set with only being able to afford $100 per month then this might be the area that prices you out of owning. There is some historical data on MF increased(which you can google), likely a safe estimate would be a 3% increase each year, but it could go as high as 15%. So you need a cushion as to what you can reasonably afford. Here is a link to the 2017 to 2018 changes in MF. https://*******.com/dvc-information/financial/dvc-annual-dues/

Maybe you start by buying in with a smaller VGF contract which can afford you to go every other year then as you get used to the system or can try out other resorts then either addon at VGF or looking into buying a smaller contract elsewhere.

VGF early December studios (and even 1BRs) are pretty rough, but getting the fixed week there is going to require finding someone selling it. Because studios can be so hard to get, you do see the 1BRs filling before 7 months as well, and even filling right around 11 months.

Because of the CCV studio vs. total points issue, I see the same thing as likely there - 1BRs will also fill up before 10 months. They may be somewhat easier at 11 months. But not at 10.5 months.

I'm in the process of figuring out the right number of points for my first DVC contract, and I'd love some extra opinions. I think eventually I would like to have enough DVC points to be able to do two weeks in studios or a week plus or minus in 1 bedrooms. That's a little too expensive right now though, so I'm trying to figure out a starting purchase.

I'm thinking of starting with a contract of around 150 points or a bit more. Right now I like taking trips in the off seasons, middle of January or early December. So depending on where I buy I would need 110 to 125 points for a one week trip. If I go for 150, that gets me a one week trip or lake view at VGF if I can snag it at 7 months. (A trip I really want to do relatively soon). However, if I go up a little higher to around 170 it would allow me to do one week long trip at my home resort and a slightly shorter trip at one of the cheaper resorts per year, or do a 1 bedroom at one of the cheaper resorts.

I don't want to go over about 170 points for another reason. The up front cost I can handle, but where I am at right now, I want to limit my dues cost to about $100 per month or $1,200 per year.

I'm also looking at the best UY for me. I think I have it figured out, but again I'd like to run it by some people who know this stuff. I'm thinking the later in the year the better. If I have my points come up in December and my regular trips are December or January, that gives me the most time to use the points if my plans change for the year. Am I thinking about this right?

Finally, I'm debating my home resort. I've narrowed it down to VGF or CCV. Either VGF resale or CCV direct. I think I would be happy with either as my home resort. That's something I think I just need to keep doing research on.
As noted, those are not off season for DVC. Obviously preference come to play but as a rule, you need a cushion of extra points, likely 10% in this case. I'd caution against buying some now and more later but at least with 150 pts you'll have options. Given your financial constrictions, you may want to wait if you think you'll need more points in the next couple of years or you may want to reconsider a home resort that has lower dues (SSR/BLT). As you've set it up, you are compromising in one way or another between number of points or home resort, I'd compromise home resort between the 2 or I'd wait until I didn't have to compromise that much.

Definitely look into the fixed week option if you are anticipating early December studio travel. It's much more flexible than most people think. When we purchased, we had to specifically ask for/about it... the guide did not bring it up on his own. The only negative is that guaranteed weeks are not included for incentives, but depending on the week you buy, the point total is lower than the incentive threshold.

I would keep doing your research for now.
As far as how many points - you may start in a studio, but as a larger group starts traveling, many of us moved up to a 1 BR. More points. Trying to book at 7 months for December is very difficult. January may be easier.
As others have said, buy where you want to stay, then you can book at 11 months. Depending on the time of year, booking at 7 months can be challenging.

Not addressing what others already have pointed out, instead I want to point out if you buy a loaded 150/160 points contract meaning you get 2017/2018/2019 points or since we so late in the year dec booking 2018 is out of the question (unless Disney’s helps you with a one time exception) you can go by with 2018/2019 points.

With a loaded contract you can actually bank and borrow for the next 3-4 years and get a week in a 1Br (vgf only 6 days). Maybe within those years you figure out if you want more points and if so where to buy them.

You will always get a loaded contract(current UY + years to come) from Disney but not if you buy resale.

this part is where I'm a little confused.

I'm not sure what you mean by cheap resort. I'm assuming you mean at a resort that has a lower point total per night? If so -- keep in mind that many of the rooms that are lower point totals per night are the very first ones to book -- so they will unlikely be available at 7 months. For example, if you think you're getting standard BWV or value AKV at 7 months -- forget about it.

Also -- you're not likely going to want to buy VGF points resale and then use them at another resort. You're paying a premium to buy VGF points -- if you're constantly going to be switching at 7 months, you might as well buy SSR and save yourself money on MFs and upfront costs.

... You're paying a premium to buy VGF points -- if you're constantly going to be switching at 7 months, you might as well buy SSR and save yourself money on MFs and upfront costs.
And plan on not getting a different resort studio for early Dec or early January with the SSR points. You won't get AKV Value villas at seven months out. You likely won't get BWV standard at seven months out. You should be able to get OKW at seven months out, but don't use those expensive GFV points for that reservation.

We pretty much use our VGF points for staying exclusively at The Grand. We love it there and are spoiled from many stays since we bought in 2014.

We bought our points direct then and didn’t know what use year meant, so we ended up with a June use year; if I could change it, I’d make it October because that fits our travel patterns better, but oh well..

You’re on the right track with your research, but I have to echo those here that say buy where you love to stay: I’ve been lucky to snag a studio at VGF in December, but only just....that place fills up fast during low point requirement times and holiday times!

Good luck with your search...

I also have points at VGF and I get the biggest smile on my face every time we arrive there!
I know you are trying to stay within a budget for you MF, but my recommendation would be to figure out the number of points you need for your “best case” scenario, and buy 10 to 20% more. At VGF, this means if you want a standard studio and they are all booked up you can reserve a Lake View and still go at your preferred time. Or if the standard view works out, you can bank the points and consider a larger unit the next year.

We started with 250 points at VGF, thinking we could stay a week in a 1BR or 10 days in a studio. As my adult kids have had kids, we have added on another 168 points so we could stay in 2BRs.

The Grand may not be the most practical place if you are on a tight budget, but it is an amazing resort. My kids would be happy just doing resort days and skipping the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter