Decorate a stranger's stroller?

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought the Family thread would be best.

Would it be totally crazy to decorate a stranger's stroller, just for fun?

I've heard of people getting "pixie dust" and having CMs decorate their strollers. This never happened to us when we had small children but we would have LOVED it. My thought was that my kids, DH and I could buy some Disney stuff--balloon, small stuffed animal, ears, whatever--and watch for a family to leave their stroller to go to an attraction (this way we would know they weren't coming back soon enough to discover us). Then we could decorate the stroller. I'm talking very superficially--we wouldn't go pawing through its contents or anything--we could probably do the whole thing without actually physically touching the stroller. Then we could sit far back and watch the family discover this "non-pixie dust" in secret.

Is this crazy? Could we get in trouble for this? Would you freak out if you came back to your stroller and found a stranger tying a balloon to the handle?

honestly if someone put stuff in my stroller I would not be happy. Its one thing if a cm sees you looking confused and says I hope its ok I gave you a mickey or whatever, but if I had no idea who did it, I would be on edge the rest of the day wondering who is watching us and probably not want to leave my stroller alone after that.

and we are staying at AKL next trip and balloons are not permitted so a balloon would cause drama for me and my kids as I had to dispose of it and they would want to keep it.

That's just creepy. Not knowing who did something to my personal belongings? The bells would be going off to check the stroller for everything and anything.

You could think it magical, however, you could totally ruin someone's day and/or vacation... not on purpose but by trying to be nice. Just leave people's belongings alone. I'm sure there are plenty of things you could do at Guest Relations to make a day for someone.

Also, I have family members that are allergic to the material that balloons are made of. You want to talk about a potentially deadly situation?

Again, just leave people's stuff alone. Go to the front desk at your resort or guest relations in the park if you want to "donate" a magical experience.

I clearly didn't think this through very well.

I would never want to upset or worry anybody; that is completely the opposite of what I was hoping to do. I guess I thought people would think it had been Disney CMs and be excited, not concerned.

I will certainly not do this. My apologies.

I think you are an amazing individual for wanting to do this! However, I would also be on edge wondering if someone thought my stroller was theirs and feel guilty I was taking another child's belongings.

When we want to spread some Pixie Dust, I will bring a bunch of light up glow sticks, bracelets, wands, etc and give them to kiddos waiting for (used to be parades) Fireworks at night. It's so cheap at the Dollar Store and it makes their day. I think you're very sweet for wanting to give some joy :)

So many things I hadn't even thought of, haha! Balloon allergies, misidentified strollers...I guess it's good this board is here to bounce our crazy ideas around so we can see just how crazy they are! :)

I think you're very thoughtful but I agree with the others that it might not go over the way you meant it.

Don't give up on trying to spread the magic, though!

I would probably think someone mistook our stroller for theirs and left their items on it. I'd wait around for a while hoping they'd come back. I don't think I'd assume we'd been pixie dusted unless there was some kind of note.

We live fairly close to Disney so we go pretty often, and my kids just don't need any more souvenirs. They just DON'T. But they love to look at all the cute merchandise in the shops (as do I :p) so I thought they might enjoy picking out some things for other children.

But maybe they could do this and we could just leave the stuff at Guest Services and tell them to give it to a random child/ren, and they would think it came from Disney? But then again, Guest Services probably wouldn't want to do this, since theoretically I guess I could have tampered with the stuff or something. I mean, it's not like it would be home-baked treats or anything, but I guess there could be nefarious things done to a stuffed Mickey.

Well, I like the idea of glow sticks! Thanks for that, DisneyWorldbuff!

I'm sorry but isn't just being at WDW special enough? I don't understand the need to do things like this? People at WDW are not hurting for specialness. You could donate to Give the Kids the World if you want to do something special for people who need all of the pixie dust they can get.

I clearly didn't think this through very well.

I would never want to upset or worry anybody; that is completely the opposite of what I was hoping to do. I guess I thought people would think it had been Disney CMs and be excited, not concerned.

I will certainly not do this. My apologies.

YOu are so sweet to want to make someones day even more special. Its a lovely thought in theory, but in practice I agree that the kind gesture may be misinterpreted. It was a good idea you checked first.

We live fairly close to Disney so we go pretty often, and my kids just don't need any more souvenirs. They just DON'T. But they love to look at all the cute merchandise in the shops (as do I :p) so I thought they might enjoy picking out some things for other children.

I love that you want to have your kids pick out things and spread the joy to other kids! You might consider letting them pick out things and then bring it to a local children's hospital if you have one nearby. With prior permission, we have been able to bring stuffed animals and such to one in our area that gave them to kids that had to stay there for a while. Maybe they would even let you & your children personally deliver the items. Then you could spread some Disney magic to kids that might not be able to go :)

It is a kind sentiment that falls apart on application. I will spend an hour trying to find my rental stroller and then call the company to report it stolen because someone meant well and decorated my stroller and I could not tell it was mine.

If you want to gift a strange family, pay for a meal or dessert anonymously. It makes the server the intermediary and keeps it from getting creepy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter