Delta policy on Emotional Support and Service Dogs

Glad to see that Delta is taking these steps to protect their passengers from those who may seek to abuse the system. I wish WDW would do the same to require some sort of documentation before allowing dogs into the theme parks. With no filters, it has become a free-for-all where pets can be passed off as service or emotional support dogs and no one asks any questions.

Glad to see that Delta is taking these steps to protect their passengers from those who may seek to abuse the system. I wish WDW would do the same to require some sort of documentation before allowing dogs into the theme parks. With no filters, it has become a free-for-all where pets can be passed off as service or emotional support dogs and no one asks any questions.

I don't think requiring verification/documentation (Dr. Note, license, etc) is allowed by the ADA. Rules may be different for air travel due to safety restrictions.

DOT rules under the ACA are written slightly differently and allow a broader scope of what the airline can and can't do regarding emotional support animals.

I don't think requiring verification/documentation (Dr. Note, license, etc) is allowed by the ADA. Rules may be different for air travel due to safety restrictions.
That's correct for service animals, which are mostly dogs but also could include a miniature pony. No other animal, other than dogs or ponies, is a service animal.

It is illegal under ADA to ask for any kind of proof of a service animal's status. There is no such proof, although you will see animals with vests, IDs, and all sorts of other stuff saying they are service animals. That stuff is sold online, and anybody can purchase it.

If there is a question on access, the company or person involved may ask two questions:
  1. Is this animal a service animal which is required because of a disability? (It is illegal to ask what disability.)
  2. What service(s) is the animal trained to perform?
"Emotional support animals" (which is what Delta is addressing) are NOT covered under ADA, but I believe there are regulations allowing them access in various forms of public transportation, and some states, cities, counties, etc. may provide some access for them within their jurisdiction.

I have only seen a few dogs at WDW theme parks. Last year, I saw 3 together at Epcot and they were all very clearly legitimate service animals.

Prior to last year, I hadn't seen any real dogs in the theme parks. But on my trip last November, I saw several dogs in each theme park, on multiple days. Some of them may have been legitimate service dogs, but I doubt that all of them were. Many were small breeds (poodles, chihuahuas, etc.) Could they all have been service poodles -- maybe, I don't know.

There has been a drastic increase in the amount of dogs in the theme parks, from the zero I'd observed on all my previous trips, to seeing multiple dogs daily on the most recent trip. If this many people really need a service dog, it is puzzling why the need suddenly began last year.

While I haven't seen a Disney policy specifically stating that emotional support dogs are allowed in the theme parks, I also haven't observed any efforts to screen out non-service dogs from entering the parks.

Prior to last year, I hadn't seen any real dogs in the theme parks. But on my trip last November, I saw several dogs in each theme park, on multiple days. Some of them may have been legitimate service dogs, but I doubt that all of them were. Many were small breeds (poodles, chihuahuas, etc.) Could they all have been service poodles -- maybe, I don't know.

There has been a drastic increase in the amount of dogs in the theme parks, from the zero I'd observed on all my previous trips, to seeing multiple dogs daily on the most recent trip. If this many people really need a service dog, it is puzzling why the need suddenly began last year.

While I haven't seen a Disney policy specifically stating that emotional support dogs are allowed in the theme parks, I also haven't observed any efforts to screen out non-service dogs from entering the parks.
smaller breeds are alert dogs for med conditions. a friend has a sheltie alert dog

I know many people have questioned her dog because it is too small
Yeah, actually I don't question every dog because it may be small, in fact in the post where I first mentioned small dogs, I also said maybe they really all were service dogs.

But I do find it odd that after years and years of WDW trips and not seeing even one real dog in the theme parks, that on the trip last November I saw multiple dogs of all sizes in each theme park. If this many people needed service dogs or emotional support dogs or medical dogs, it is strange that all these needs began last year.

But I do find it odd that after years and years of WDW trips and not seeing even one real dog in the theme parks, that on the trip last November I saw multiple dogs of all sizes in each theme park. If this many people needed service dogs or emotional support dogs or medical dogs, it is strange that all these needs began last year.

Could still be a coincidence. There are any time, maybe 60,000+ guests at Disney World, if even 1/4 of 1% needed assistance dogs that is 150 dogs on a given day. I'm thinking it is surprising we haven't seen more over the years.

Could still be a coincidence. There are any time, maybe 60,000+ guests at Disney World, if even 1/4 of 1% needed assistance dogs that is 150 dogs on a given day. I'm thinking it is surprising we haven't seen more over the years.
Maybe, but I've read other threads where various people mentioned a significant increase in the number of dogs in the theme parks recently, compared with before last year. Anything is possible, but the change I've observed is major enough that I don't perceive it as mere coincidence; there actually seem to be more dogs in the parks than before.

Yeah, actually I don't question every dog because it may be small, in fact in the post where I first mentioned small dogs, I also said maybe they really all were service dogs.

from my own hometown I am seeing more and more service dogs and of the ones I have seen are true service dogs. plus there are more different types of service dogs not just what I grew up thinking of

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter