deQuervain's tendonitis and scooters

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
Basically, deQuervain's tendonitis is tendonitis of the thumb. I'm on my third steroid injection and surgery is the next step. I'm having a 4 level cervical fusion in Feb. so don't want to have another surgery added to my list.

I am coming to Disney next week and just realized that I won't be able to use Walker this trip. Their "steering" relies on the use of your thumb. And of course the thumb out of commission is my right hand. I am right handed. I don't have any idea what the other companies offer.

I am looking for the following in a scooter:
1) does not rely on the use of your thumb. ( I thought I read somewhere that a company has ones that use your entire hand--not just your thumb). I think I could manage that. My hand is wrapped from thumb to a bit above the wrist.
2) will hold a "fluffy" 190 lb woman plus my "stuff".
3) will last at least 12 hours on a charge
4) adjustable seat (I'm under 5 feet tall)
5) can survive the rain

I have thought of using Walker and using my left hand. I may be "clumsy--think back to first time I had to use a scooter) but it could work I guess.

So help--any suggestions?

Thanks.

I would call the scooter places and let them know what you need they could tell you if any of there scooter meet your needs.

I would definitely tell you to avoid Walker (their service is so good, I can't believe I'm saying this). But they have that lever, and it made my thumb very sore. I tried switching hands and it just didn't work well. Buena Vista, at least the scooters I saw, have the type where you squeeze the handle with your hands. That's the main reason I'm trying Buena Vista when I go next month.

I would definitely tell you to avoid Walker (their service is so good, I can't believe I'm saying this). But they have that lever, and it made my thumb very sore. I tried switching hands and it just didn't work well. Buena Vista, at least the scooters I saw, have the type where you squeeze the handle with your hands. That's the main reason I'm trying Buena Vista when I go next month.
Like you I always recommend Walker. And like you, I would stay away from them.

In fact, when I purchased my scooter, I made sure that I didn't have the same kind of lever. It just killed my thumb.

Somewhere here, there were pictures of different levers and where you could get them. I just don't remember which thread it was.

I've been using Walker religiously since my car accident in 1999. I feel like I'm "cheating" on them with another company. I called Buena Vista and they said theirs require use of only your fingers. I guess I'm booking with them tomorrow.

I'm not a scooter user, but I am a former DeQuervain's sufferer. My doctor made me wait a full agonizing year before he would do the surgery. I did all the steroid injections and hand therapy and the splints and it never got better. I was to the point where I couldn't turn a door handle and my wrist ached like a toothache morning noon and night. I finally had the surgery and got immediate relief. If you get to the point where you need surgery, do it. It was relatively painless and I only needed ibuprofen and ice afterwards. I was so irritated that the surgeon made me wait all that time.

Make sure you have a good splint to wear for your trip. I bought a small, lightweight one that fit like a glove and held my thumb out in a good position and provided the compression I needed. I also made sure to ice my wrist/thumb whenever I had the opportunity.

Thank you smokeyblue. This is just a weird thing to have. Did you wear the compression gloves, I think they are white? My dr. gave me a splint that was what felt like a neophrome or almost rubber in quality. Unfortunately I lost it (in a bathroom) and am now using an over the counter one from CVS. Where did you purchase your glove? Thanks.

Sorry about your DeQuervains. I too have it. I have been doing physio since January and have had 1 injection. I truly understand. do you have a splint? Mine has been a life saver. My splint goes halfway up my arm. It has a metal piece that stabilizes the thumb and velcro straps around the thumb and 3 on the arm part. It has enabled me to even use a shovel in the garden. I got mine through the physio department but I am sure any good pharmacy might carry them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!