describe your Palate

I am not super adventurous. I will try foods I like prepared in a different manner or with different spices, but something totally new will need to be vetted by someone I trust, who knows my tastes, before I taste it. No organs, no seafood, no wine (I can always taste wine if it’s used as an ingredient and I hate it), no bugs (not even chocolate covered), no exotic meats like gator or rattlesnake. Beef, pork and poultry please!

I'll try anything once & have raised my DS to be the same. We often choose restaurants based on the menu offering something we've never tried. My DH isn't quite as adventurous. We pick on him & accuse him of having a toddler palate, but he's a good sport. We can usually talk him into trying at least one bite of anything.

Why won't you try durian? You've made me want to seek it out to give it a try. :laughing:

The smell is just horrendous. Supposedly overripe durian is supposed to attract flies because it smells like rotting meat. Depending on the varietal and the ripeness, it can smell like anything from farts to vomit. I've accidentally eaten stuff that was flavored with natural durian, and I had to spit it out.

I have to agree that my tastes really haven't changed that much since I was 11. I started doing a lot of the cooking for my family around that age because my mom worked in the afternoon, but my mother obviously did the meal planning and shopping still. My family probably ate healthier than the average family in the 70's. While we had casseroles on occasion, we also regularly had vegetarian meals, always baked instead of fried, ate a lot of stir fry dishes made with a smidge of olive oil and fresh veggies, ate a lot of soups, salads, beans, seafood, whole grains, etc. My dad had a salsa garden as a hobby. We made a point of trying food from different ethnic groups.

What I consider my favorites hasn't really changed. I still like what I consider "normal" stuff, pretty much based on what I grew up on, and it can take a while for me to really embrace new cuisines. I'll try pretty much anything, but it can take a while for me to appreciate it and for it to become "normal" to me. (I'm still having trouble appreciating some of the alternate grains used in gluten free baking for example.)

Last edited:
I am not super adventurous. I will try foods I like prepared in a different manner or with different spices, but something totally new will need to be vetted by someone I trust, who knows my tastes, before I taste it. No organs, no seafood, no wine (I can always taste wine if it’s used as an ingredient and I hate it), no bugs (not even chocolate covered), no exotic meats like gator or rattlesnake. Beef, pork and poultry please!

Have you tried gator tail? As a Floridian, you probably have, but I thought I'd ask. If not, the saying that it tastes like chicken isn't accurate. IMO, it's better than chicken, if it's prepared well. We used to order it a lot in Tampa. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it in South Florida.

The smell is just horrendous. Supposedly overripe durian is supposed to attract flies because it smells like rotting meat. Depending on the varietal and the ripeness, it can smell like anything from farts to vomit. I've accidentally eaten stuff that was flavored with natural durian, and I had to spit it out.
Because my palate already knows it's lousy.

Have you tried pinching your nose & eating it? I'm wondering how it tastes, if you don't smell it first. I'm still intrigued & want to try it.

Have you tried gator tail?

I know you're asking someone else, but I've had gator at a county fair. Reminded me of fish - maybe more like catfish. BTW - it's going to be illegal in California in a few years. Something about not being able to tell the difference between products of any crocodilian species where someone could claim that an endangered species is just American alligator parts.

Have you tried pinching your nose & eating it? I'm wondering how it tastes, if you don't smell it first. I'm still intrigued & want to try it.

I know people from Asia who claims it's the greatest fruit in the world. But the smell seems to vary. On top of what I've said earlier, I've heard of claims that the smell is reminiscent of gasoline or turpentine. Maybe onions or a sewer.

I'm told the texture is superb. Don't know if I'd hold my nose. Anything I accidentally put in my mouth was stuff where I wouldn't get any durian texture because it was already ground up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!