Desserts "to go"???

laceemouse

laceemouse
Okay, so I am trying to talk dh into going with the DP for our upcoming trip late November. The free dining time just won't work for us this year :sad2: . Anyway, he says it is too much food and the kids would throw away more than they eat. When we eat out, we occassionally get ONE appetizer for the six of us to share, and ONE dessert for all of us the share, and we STILL take food home. Are there any desserts at the TS and CS restaurants that we could take with us, like cookies or something, so we could eat them for a midnight snack, breakfast the next am, ect??? We will probably not have a fridge. I don't have any desire to carry around anything too big/messy either. Just wondering???

We took all the desserts "to go" from CS. We also ended up giving things away to families with lots of kids. DDP was a LOT of food for DH and I....but I still think it's worth the cost (although in fairness...this is coming from someone who has gotten it free twice!)

At many CS restaurants, desserts are already packaged in individual serving containers, making it very easy to get them "to go." At the resorts there were various cakes, brownies, cookies, pastries, etc.

At TS, we frequently asked for our dessert to be boxed to go rather than served at the table. It worked fine with cakes, etc.

ITA the the PP. We got brownies, cookies, cheesecakes, etc. and just took them back to the room. Made for great late night snacking or breakfast!

Great! Thanks for the replies!! I am still trying to convince dh ;) . It would be so much easier if we could get free dining. Maybe next time.

just be careful that you don't get something to go that needs refrigeration, I would hate for you to get food poisoning while on vacation and the outer temps are pretty high here year round.

maybe a diferent perspective....not thinking look at all this food you CAN get and how can I MAX out the plan but instead simply how much does it cost verses how much will I spend if I dont get it (factor in any hassle of the plan verses convenience/variety). We would have driven ourselves crazy trying to stay cheap but we still would have done a couple of character meals and we were definitely not going to do cold sandwhiches in the room from a cooler. And I would have spent 500-600 dollars on food for just meals then there are snacks that we wouldnt have bought in the park but the kids would have fussed for constantly and we would have always been saying no to but heres a nice cracker from home. we didnt throw away much except when we didnt like the restaurant. we ate several buffetts so you just got what you wanted anyway. But there were a couple of times we didnt order all we could since we knew no way we would eat it but I do admit we share meals (1 adult 1 kid meal for the 4 of us sometimes) so to feed us all it took all there was. So yes the dining plan cost me more but added a great convenience. I had very ver little OOP. My kids are pretty good about sharing food as that is just how we have always done it. So we really didnt care that we left with 2 cs credits on the card or about the things we could have ordered - we felt 700 was a decent amount and it did feed the family for the week entire trip.

beth_cam said:
maybe a diferent perspective....not thinking look at all this food you CAN get and how can I MAX out the plan but instead simply how much does it cost verses how much will I spend if I dont get it (factor in any hassle of the plan verses convenience/variety). We would have driven ourselves crazy trying to stay cheap but we still would have done a couple of character meals and we were definitely not going to do cold sandwhiches in the room from a cooler. And I would have spent 500-600 dollars on food for just meals then there are snacks that we wouldnt have bought in the park but the kids would have fussed for constantly and we would have always been saying no to but heres a nice cracker from home. we didnt throw away much except when we didnt like the restaurant. we ate several buffetts so you just got what you wanted anyway. But there were a couple of times we didnt order all we could since we knew no way we would eat it but I do admit we share meals (1 adult 1 kid meal for the 4 of us sometimes) so to feed us all it took all there was. So yes the dining plan cost me more but added a great convenience. I had very ver little OOP. My kids are pretty good about sharing food as that is just how we have always done it. So we really didnt care that we left with 2 cs credits on the card or about the things we could have ordered - we felt 700 was a decent amount and it did feed the family for the week entire trip.

I totally agree. I have to believe that these guests who are putting so much emphasis on beating Disney either by misusing entitlements or simply trying to make sure they eat only the most expensive meals or not going to have an enjoyable vacation when it's all over. They are going to spend a large amount of time eating all these meals, and with all this rich food and rides and heat a very good chance of a fair amount of indigestion. ;)

Sammie said:
I totally agree. I have to believe that these guests who are putting so much emphasis on beating Disney either by misusing entitlements or simply trying to make sure they eat only the most expensive meals or not going to have an enjoyable vacation when it's all over. They are going to spend a large amount of time eating all these meals, and with all this rich food and rides and heat a very good chance of a fair amount of indigestion. ;)

Well that could be true, but that post and the one above it really have nothing to do with the OP's question. She is not asking about beating Disney, maxing out the plan, misusing entitlements, eating only the most expensive meal or putting emphasis on those - she is asking about portable desserts.

We get the dining plan, order what we want (yes, usually one of the most expensive - but why not?), go on all the rides, endure the heat and never have indigestion. And none of us are overweight either, LOL.

The prepackaged desserts - especially the cookies and brownies - are great for snacks later, totally portable, included with your meal - why not get it if you're going to eat it?

If your kids have tiny appetites and you usually don't eat much either, then the plan may not be in your best interest, but the OP only asked a simple question about portable desserts.

You're right about CS meals but many (most?) of the TS desserts won't do well in the heat. Not a problem if you're going directly back to your room. Not even a problem if you want to eat your cake while you wait in line for an attraction. I guess it wouldn't be a problem if you brough a small (6 pack sized) cooler with you.

The water parks give a token that you use to go back later to get your ice cream dessert. Otherwise guests would have to eat their dessert before their lunch.

edited I just re-read the OP
I think most restaurants will at least have cookies for kids dessert. CHECK THE NUMBERS if 6 of you are going to be sharing one appetizer and one dessert the plan might not make sense, particularly if you can get better room and ticket discounts.

rumrunnergirl said:
Well that could be true, but that post and the one above it really have nothing to do with the OP's question. She is not asking about beating Disney, maxing out the plan, misusing entitlements, eating only the most expensive meal or putting emphasis on those - she is asking about portable desserts.

We get the dining plan, order what we want (yes, usually one of the most expensive - but why not?), go on all the rides, endure the heat and never have indigestion. And none of us are overweight either, LOL.

The prepackaged desserts - especially the cookies and brownies - are great for snacks later, totally portable, included with your meal - why not get it if you're going to eat it?

If your kids have tiny appetites and you usually don't eat much either, then the plan may not be in your best interest, but the OP only asked a simple question about portable desserts.

We got almost all of our TS desserts to go last year. We ate them for breakfast the next morning. It is actually one of the children's favorite memories as the only place they can have cake for breakfast is at Disney.

rumrunnergirl said:

Yes I agree, and I gave the OP some advise about getting desserts to go, my repsonse was to Beth Cam's comment, :confused3

If it seemed it was a response to the OP's question, then my apologies to the OP, as it is obvious she was only asking about carry out desserts.

Word of caution from one who knows: Trying to hold 2 styrafoam containers (1 with stickey toffee pudding and one with chocolate cake) while riding test track is a HAZARD. The desserts don't look so pretty after a couple of thrill rides. It is a tad more difficult taking your desserts to go if you still want to experience the attractions. However, we found that the CMs would try to talk you into ordering dessert anyway. Cookies would definately travel better!

Cookie Princess said:
Word of caution from one who knows: Trying to hold 2 styrafoam containers (1 with stickey toffee pudding and one with chocolate cake) while riding test track is a HAZARD. The desserts don't look so pretty after a couple of thrill rides.
I'll bet your ride photo was interesting. ;)

Cookie Princess said:
Word of caution from one who knows: Trying to hold 2 styrafoam containers (1 with stickey toffee pudding and one with chocolate cake) while riding test track is a HAZARD. The desserts don't look so pretty after a couple of thrill rides. It is a tad more difficult taking your desserts to go if you still want to experience the attractions. However, we found that the CMs would try to talk you into ordering dessert anyway. Cookies would definately travel better!
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: ! I LOVE it!!!
Yeah, I get it, mushy, messy stuff, and stuff they has to be refrigerated would not work out to save! Maybe Disney should add more cookie-type desserts that are easy to carry out, then they might sell more thus upping the ticket. Still unsure if it is right for us, paying for the DP that is. It would be 201$ a day for us....YIKES!

laceemouse,
My family sounds a bit like yours -- we're used to sharing meals and don't usually order appetizers + entrees + dessert + drinks at every meal. If we had to pay for DDP, we probably would not use the plan. In fact, we would not even be staying on property if it weren't for free DDP. I'm afraid we're going to have a lot of wasted food too and we don't like to waste food. We'll have to see how things go as this will be our first trip with DDP. We're also hoping for some very "portable" desserts to take "to go".

laceemouse said:
Okay, so I am trying to talk dh into going with the DP for our upcoming trip late November. The free dining time just won't work for us this year :sad2: . Anyway, he says it is too much food and the kids would throw away more than they eat. When we eat out, we occassionally get ONE appetizer for the six of us to share, and ONE dessert for all of us the share, and we STILL take food home. Are there any desserts at the TS and CS restaurants that we could take with us, like cookies or something, so we could eat them for a midnight snack, breakfast the next am, ect??? We will probably not have a fridge. I don't have any desire to carry around anything too big/messy either. Just wondering???

The brownies from Cosmic Ray's at MK were yummy and pre-packaged so very easy to take with you. All 4 of us got one and took it with us for later.

rumrunnergirl said:

I realize that specifically she was asking about the deserts but I was responding to the OP saying "talk dh into going with the DP" and "too much food" and "throw away more than they would eat" so my response was directed to those things. A different perspective for talking hubbie into it and how with the way we looked at it we addressed the problems stated. I'm sorry if it seemed so off track as to offend other readers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter