Destash 2020 Time to Putter with Clutter

I have filled 4 big totes with stuff and 2 shopping bags with clothes. My cousin and I decided that since we both have cleaned out so much stuff during lock down that when the world reopens, we are going to have a yard sale to try and make a few bucks off the stuff.

Not much getting done around here. Today I did clean out one little cabinet above the microwave. I had a lot of old RX Medicine and bottles. How do I dispose RX medicine? I found old over the counter medicine, old vitamins.

Tonight or tomorrow I hope to go through a section of my craft room or shred some more old bills that I found

Sometime this week I hope to
-clean out two of My bathroom drawers.
-bedroom closet cabinet anyone know how long bath and body works hand sanitizer last.ihave some from 4 years ago. Keep or toss?

Not much getting done around here. Today I did clean out one little cabinet above the microwave. I had a lot of old RX Medicine and bottles. How do I dispose RX medicine? I found old over the counter medicine, old vitamins.

Tonight or tomorrow I hope to go through a section of my craft room or shred some more old bills that I found

Sometime this week I hope to
-clean out two of My bathroom drawers.
-bedroom closet cabinet anyone know how long bath and body works hand sanitizer last.ihave some from 4 years ago. Keep or toss?

Some Walgreens have a safe disposal drop box inside. https://www.walgreens.com/topic/pharmacy/safe-medication-disposal.jsp You can find the locations at that link.

I have been busy outside because the weeds never stopped growing this winter :headache: so not cleaning or purging much.

However, I finally bought myself some new black socks and threw away the no-longer-possible-to-be-bleached-white old ones that were stretched out. I'm sad to throw them out, though, because they were so comfy! :rotfl2:

I also had a few things for the local thrift store from going through my craft area.

As far as old meds, our courthouse has a dropbox. Perhaps yours does also.

Not too much last week

1 book - donated
1 pair of sneakers - trashed
1 pair of pants - trashed
1 pair of socks - trashed
1 notepad - used up

193 items of 500 decluttered or 38.6% of goal

sooooooooooo much stuff has left (or at least is bagged up to leave once donation centers open back up..should be this week)

DH had Covid, so we were all confined to the house for 2.5 weeks - I have a pile of bags approximately 8ft by 8ft by 4 feet tall to be donated. Mostly kids clothes but also some household stuff. Cleaned out 4 closets and started going through our laundry pile of a bedroom. I also went through books and have 1 storage tub to definitely go and one to scan with the Amazon app before they go (I have a feeling most will end up in the go pile). We have a ton of books between the four of us. When we moved into our house, the previous owner left several built in bookcases full as well, so about double what we already had. We had 4 large bookcases in one room and it was just too crowded in there so I sold 2 of them. My goal is to get rid of enough to make up for the loss of that space and maybe clear out the 3 shelf built in in the guest bedroom. That one is mostly teenage girl fiction so shouldn't be too hard.

I also pulled out 15 raised garden beds. The wood they were made of was so rotten they weren't usable. I'm going to get someone to plow up the entire area for me so we can have a regular garden. Hauled all that plus some stuff from a storage shed to the curb. Now I can mow - which is good, I saw multiple snakes while doing so (little garden snakes, nothing exciting). Keeping the grass short usually keeps them out of the parts of the yard that we use.

Then I cleaned out the carport. Our septic overflowed into it so almost everything there was a loss. I still need to pressure wash it but it looks so much better now.

Everytime I think I have gone through every nook and cranny in our house, I find somewhere else I haven't cleaned out yet. Today I sorted through about 25 reusable shopping bags that had gotten stuffed in the guest room closet. I would never in my life need that many shopping bags at once, so I threw out the raggedy ones, only kept my very favorites and the rest went into the yard sale pile.

I discovered that my weirdly shaped kitchen cabinet in the corner is where old skillets go to die. I'm really hard on skillets and buy a new one every couple years - apparently I don't throw away the old ones, just stuff them to the back of the cabinet. That situation is remedied now.

I've managed to go through another tub of clothes - so 7 items are donated. I can't bring myself to donate any Disney T-shirts that no longer fit. I may make them into a quilt. I'm not sure yet.
Made 6 zipper pouches so that is 2 pieces of fabric used up (the pouches are gifts so they won't even be staying in our house).
Donated 2 books and sold another item on ebay.

So that brings my totals to: 167/500
I used my Disney shirts into a quilt. I got 3 yards of material, from Hobby Lobby and it is the red Minnie Mouse pattern. My dog actually loves it. I put it over the back of the couch and he jumps up there and sleeps. I found 7 more Disney shirts, I have no idea how I accumulate them.

For the month of May I was able to get rid/use up the following:

1 sliding door unit - sold
1 door mat - trashed
6 cardboard boxes - recycled
1 plastic hanger - recycled
3 Gift Card - used up and recycled
2 Internet cables - recycled
1 grocery bag of misc paperwork - recycled
1 partial notepad - used up
2 books - returned to school
3 books - donated
1 set of old cellar stairs - cut up and trashed
10 pieces of scrap wood from new cellar stairs - given away
1 broken measuring cup - trashed
2 partial tube of dried up caulking - trashed
1 partial container of dried up wood glue - trashed
1 broken light fixture - trashed
3 partial left over rolls of PEX tubing - sold
2 network cables - given away
3 computer keyboards - sold
3 computer mouse - sold
3 computer power cable -sold
3 printer cables - sold
3 network cables - sold
4 sheets of OSB - used up for project
6 partial sheets of OSB used up for project
8 1x2x8 lumber - used up for project
15 scraps of OSB - given away
2 pair of socks - trashed
1 partial gallon of primer - used up
3 paint roller - used up
6 paint brush - used up and trashed
2 partial roll of painters tape - used up
3 tubes of caulking - used up

302 items of 500 decluttered or 60.4% of goal

June was not a overly productive month but at least got rid of a minimum of one item per day on average!

1 pair of dead headphones - recycled
1 non-working surge protector - recycled
1 gift card - used up and recycled
2 expired insurance cards - cut up and trashed
2 boxes of misc electronic supplies - gave to a friend
1 router - gave to DS
1 router table - gave to DS
5 router accessories - gave to DS
2 broken metal straps - trashed
2 pair of socks - trashed
2 partial notepads - used up
2 books - donated
1 vacuum - sold
1 box of vacuum acc’s - sold
1 large office style printer - gave away
2 DVD sets - given to my DS
4 scrap pieces of sheetrock - cut up and disposed of
2 scrap pieces of insulation board - cut up and disposed of
5 charging cords - recycled
2 cell phones - recycled
1 tube of Driveway Crack Sealant - used up

342 items of 500 decluttered or 68.4% of goal

Oldest ds came to visit and he took a pair of sleep pants and 2 books with him.
Finally the donation places here are asking for donations/pickups so I am scheduling for middle July.

Hello, thread that I never knew I needed! I've known my whole life that I like to accumulate things and now having merged items with my boyfriend's into one household, space has gotten tight. I think it's a great idea to keep count of all the things you manage to let go of after setting an item goal. So, I'm in for 100 items by the end of 2020. 🥳

The month of July was good for decluttering and ebay has been my friend (made over 700 dollars after ebay fees, paypal fees, and shipping!)

1 plastic tote lid that does not match any of our totes - recycled
1 Gift Card - used up and recycled
2 books - donated
1 Multi CD holder - donated
1 mini photo album - donated
6 DVD sets - donated
15 Comic TPB’s - sold ebay
10 Comic TPB’s - sold ebay
4 Comic TPB’s - sold ebay
11 Comic TPB’s - sold ebay
51 Comic TPB’s - sold ebay
18 Comic TPB’s - sold Facebook
4 mason canning jars - returned to owner
1 random torn garment bag - trashed
2 T-Shirts - trashed
8 cardboard boxes - recycled for shipping
1 pile of comics that belonged to relative - sold them for the relative via Facebook
1 partial notepad - used up
1 piece of scrap wood - used up for a project
2 angle brackets - used up for a project
9 books - given to niece

492 items of 500 decluttered or 98.4% of goal

I finally got the 2 laptops and a desktop (from DH fixing computers) out of my office and to the recycling center! It just stinks because I forgot to bring the broken dehumidifier during that trip, so I'll have to make another. I have another box started for goodwill.

Over the past few months I've gotten rid of so much I didn't keep track - sold about 8 more things on ebay. Sales have been slow there.
My son finally graduated from college and he took the upstairs couch and chair for his apartment so that is 2 more things gone. And he took the old desktop computer to take it apart. He plans on reusing the outer casing to build himself another computer for sure he said.
I've made I don't know how many masks - maybe 50? - for various family members so I'll estimate that as 4 yards of fabric gone.
I cleaned out a few dresser drawers and have 20 shirts to donate.

So that brings my new total to 224/500. That's probably low since I know I've just thrown out things as well but that's what I'm going with for now.

I'm currently folding and organizing all of my fabric and I've found some I no longer want and will be donating. I'll be piling all of that up to donate at one time. Hopefully by the end of next week!

I am a little late getting going on the challenge! Yesterday I went through a bunch on stuff in my sewing/office room and got rid of a large bag of fabric and sewing notions and a bunch of office drawer "stuff" and about 10 books. So that brings my total to 79/300! I have this feeling I am going to meet and exceed my goal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!