Destash 2020 Time to Putter with Clutter

My husband, who never likes to get rid of anything, went through his closet and gave me 4 pair of dress pants to get rid of - we've been married 12 years and 3 of the 4 pair I'd never seen him wear. He has a ton of shirts he needs to get rid of too, but I figured I better not push the subject :-)

OK, this is TOTALLY off topic :offtopic: but the title of this thread has me chuckling. There is another DISer whose user name is Clutter. She is here in Maine for the summer so tomorrow she and I are going out to Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park for the day. We don't have any real plans, we are just going to bum around and see the park, do some things... so tomorrow, I really AM going to "Putter with Clutter!":rotfl2:

Hi everyone. I think I was participating in this thread earlier this year. I was doing great and then life happened. And then Covid happened and I got busy with other projects. I painted my kid's bedrooms and two bathrooms so that did include a bit of decluttering.

Now I'm ready to get back to decluttering. Today is our annual "big trash pick up" day. I think we got rid of about 10 things including a toilet, a couch I've been trying to get rid of for years, a rug and an old fire pit. I feel like I'm off to a good start!

I went through my closet awhile back and sorted out the clothes that I don't fit into any longer 😢 and had them piled on my closet floor until we could make a trip to my storage unit. (Being in an apartment sucks.) My boyfriend took them over there the other day and underneath was a plastic bag full of clothes to donate. Now that I can walk into my closet again I will be finishing organizing and hopefully filling the bag with further pieces to donate. Then I'll come back here with a count.

Saturday I went through what was left of the homeschool I had and got and recycled a large box of papers and put the books we had left in the donation box. I went through kitchen cabinets, bathroom, my summer clothes, and a storage closet and threw out or donated 79 items. I was walking around my house thinking I could find something to make it 80 but couldn’t without addressing other areas (ran out of time). After I do my first round I am going to go back through the house, I found myself not wanting to get rid of somethings I had but never used. So this brings my total to 200/300!

August was a pretty good month for selling/donating/sorting/ etc..

2 plastic CD cases - recycled
1 bag of paperwork - shredded and recycled
1 rechargeable battery for weed trimmer - recycled
3 appliance boxes - recycled
2 random sheets of plastic - recycled
13 books - donated
18 books - donated
24 books - donated
6 books - donated
1 multimeter - donated
1 box of plastic blocks - donated
3 large bags of misc craft supplies - donated
2 laptop bags - donated
2 corded mouse - donated
2 vacuum cleaner bags (no longer own the vacuum) - donated
1 box of 80 yellow plastic blocks - donated
2 rolls of raffle tickets - donated
1 box of 36 foam blocks - sold facebook
1 box of 60 wiffle balls - sold facebook
5 plastic stacking bins w/covers - gave to DS
12 broken robot pieces - trashed
1 broken hanger - trashed
2 T-Shirt - trashed
1 ripped work shirt - trashed
1 bottle of dried up wood glue (another one!) - trashed
1 partial roll of painters tape - used up
3 disposable paint roller - used up
2 disposable paint brush - used up
3 disposable paint rollers (the last of the large batch that I had) - gave to DS for his project
1 small tip foam paint brush - used up
1 partial gallon of primer - used up
2 partial notepad - used up
3 text books - sold ebay
23 Novels - sold ebay
4 novels - sold ebay
6 books - sold facebook
6 assorted robotics pieces - sold ebay
6 more assorted robotics parts - sold ebay
1 robotics module - sold ebay
1 set of collectible pins - sold ebay
17 comics - sold ebay
4 comics - sold ebay
5 comics - sold ebay
1 comic - sold ebay
5 comics - sold ebay
3 comics - sold ebay
23 comics - sold ebay
2 comics - sold ebay
1 comic -sold ebay
11 comics -sold ebay
1 comic - sold ebay
1 poster - sold ebay
5 cardboard boxes - used up to ship robotics parts
3 cardboard boxes - used up to ship textbooks
3 cardboard boxes - used up to ship novels
1 cardboard box - used up to ship poster
5 Manilla Envelopes - used up to ship comics
1 Padded Envelope - used up to ship comics
1 roll of packing tape - used up for shipping items
1 box of used “air pillows” - used up for shipping out packages
3 bottle of hazardous chemicals - properly disposed of
1 triple light switch plate - gave to DS for his workshop
6 scrap pieces of wood - given away
1 computer charger - recycled
August total 268 items!

760 items of 500 decluttered or 152% of goal

I'm late to the party but I'm in with the things I've already donated. Goal 250!

32 pairs of shoes donated to a little girl down the street doing a fund raiser
33 DH t-shirts donated. We have a pact now that we can't purchase any t-shirts on vacation.
13 bathroom items donated to my sister - soaps, shampoos, conditioners, etc
1 toothbrush holder donated
12 curtain panels -donated to my lil bro and his wife
91 Total
91/250

Next up...KITCHEN! I have so many gadgets and 10 of the same kitchen utensil and all of them are old and fallen apart. SMH!

This week's count is 35 including some kids clothes and shoes, books, a drawer full of old papers and some stuff I tried to sell on FB that no one wanted.

That puts me at 265. I'm not a very good tracker so I feel like I'm at 10,000 by now. 🤣. I've trashed, recycled and given away so much stuff already this year but I rarely think to track it. I feel like my husband is counteracting my efforts though!

I went through my closet awhile back and sorted out the clothes that I don't fit into any longer 😢 and had them piled on my closet floor until we could make a trip to my storage unit. (Being in an apartment sucks.) My boyfriend took them over there the other day and underneath was a plastic bag full of clothes to donate. Now that I can walk into my closet again I will be finishing organizing and hopefully filling the bag with further pieces to donate. Then I'll come back here with a count.

I turned all of our hangers backwards back in January so I could see what were not wearing after each season but with Covid we're not going anywhere and pretty much wearing the same 10 things so that project is kind of on hold for me. I guess I could get rid of everything we haven't worn anywayd and then go out and by all clothes when we need them.

I've had a declutter year on steroids. I've lost a lot of weight and am still losing so a lot of my clothes have gotten too big. DH has also lost some. This led to a lot of clothing going to Goodwill before the pandemic hit. About 4 months ago, DH and I started helping a relative clean out years of hoarding. So far we've donated about 100 bags and trashed/recycled another 100. The donate pile was a challenge to get rid of because so much was closed for the pandemic and by the time we started this work our Goodwill was being inundated with donations. Several times we tried and were told they couldn't take anything at the time. After a few tries, we were able to give them about 20 bags but the rest was not happening. Thankfully I found a charity that does pickups and we were able to arrange two pickups and donate the rest through them. We still have more work to do with this situation and so those numbers will go up. It's amazing how much remains after purging so much but we're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. More importantly, we *think* this relative has finally changed how they were thinking about stuff and we are hopeful this situation will not return. Makes me want to get rid of more stuff at home but that will have to wait. There's only so much purging you can do at one time!

I'm adding another 15 this week for a total of 280. This week includes ties, hats, a clock and more paper.

Does anyone else keeps kids school papers? I do; I don't know why. But this week I shrunk it by 6 boxes

Scratch that! I just added another 45 of stamping supplies, greeting cards, stationary etc. Now I'm at 325. 🙂

Last edited:
We had a wall crack & leak in our partially finished basement early this summer. That meant we had to pull up old carpeting & take off paneling. We also had to trash some bookcases that got ruined. The repairs affected my pantry area too. So 4 old metal shelving units got trashed. We did need to replace the shelves & bookcases, so not a complete destash. We threw out 2 old recliners but will be getting only 1 new one.

But so far in the process, my DH has donated a few books. I weeded out a lot of stuff & reorganized the new pantry shelves. I threw out a couple of bottles of expired dietary supplements & allergy pills (expired 2010!); toiletries like 2 bottles of conditioner that were at least 7 years old; blades for a razor I don’t even remember having; 2 unopened mascaras I wanted to try several years ago; samples of body wash, shampoos & conditioners; plus novelty soap dispensers & wall flower scent plug ins I got as gifts over the years. When I emptied the old shelves, I also had several cans of expired soups, frostings & boxes of cake mix that got trashed.

I cleaned out 3 kitchen cupboards yesterday. I threw out 2 opened bags of months old nuts; an unopened jar of expired honey; a partial bottle of balsamic vinegar that smelled fermented; stale cookies; a partial bag of hardened confectioners sugar; old chocolate ice cream sprinkles & all the grungy shelf liners.

We purchased a small chest freezer to stock up so I won’t have to shop as often over the winter. When that got delivered, I went thru my kitchen freezer. Trashed several foil packages of meats, burgers & hot dogs that were freezer burned. For my birthday, I got a food saver to shrink wrap meats before freezing. My DH is retiring in a few months & I don’t want to be wasting money throwing out food.

The rest of the house hasn’t gotten as much done lately. But I did trash a couple of old towels, grungy t shirts my DH used for yard work & several pairs of my old flip flops.

I don’t count the items I get rid of, so no total to share. And I guess the last few months have been as much a reorganizing as a destash. But it does feel good to see things improving, a little at a time.

I finally was able to schedule a donation. So tomorrow goodbye to
the 4 piece canister set
planter
lighthouse statue
New twin xl mattress pad
New star wars sleeping bag/costume
3 of ds pants
3 pair of shoes
5 books and 2 videos

I began the decluttering of my bedroom. We've added two chests of drawers to help me organize all of my crap that's been sitting out since we moved into the apartment. Most of it was trashed. (Old boxes and items I'd meant to throw away previously.) 10/100

7 comics - sold ebay
2 comics - sold ebay
1 comic - sold ebay
2 comics - sold ebay
2 comics - sold ebay
1 comic - sold ebay
1 comic - sold ebay
1 comic - sold ebay
1 comic - sold ebay
2 comics - sold ebay
1 comic - sold ebay
11 novels - sold ebay
3 mini lego motors - sold ebay
2 Toy Instruction booklets and Toy stickers - sold ebay
1 1980’s robot kit - sold ebay
12 manilla envelope - used to mail ebay items
3 cardboard boxes - used up to ship ebay items
1 20 amp circuit breaker - replaced with one on hand
1 light switch - replaced with one on hand
1 bag of assorted paperwork - shredded and recycled
4 broken plastic robot pieces - trashed
6 broken plastic motors - trashed
1 pair of socks - trashed
1 expired gift card - recycled

October Total 69 items
Slower month than August but still lots of little things gone!

829 items of 500 decluttered or 165.8% of goal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter