Did I make the right resort decision??

disneychic

DIS Veteran
OK - so, we have a big family reunion trip booked for the week before Thanksgiving (6 villas total of varying size - studios, 1 bedrooms, etc.) I booked 3 under my membership and my mom booked the other 3 using her membership 6 nights for each reservation, and are giving the room portion of the trip to our family members so that they can go and only have to put out money for park tickets, food etc. pixiedust:

We booked AKV Jambo House (which I love, as it is one of my home resorts & one of my moms as well). After I get everything all booked and a few months pass my Mom tells me the Boardwalk may be better :scared: I should also explain that of course my family and my mom/step dad have been to WDW many, many times --But the majority of the others joining with us have never been to WDW at all, and each family has kids (ages range 3-7). In many ways I do agree with my mom as the Boardwalk is also a home resort for me (and the resort that we joined DVC with back in 2000) and the location is superb. However, there is quite a hefty jump in points needed to stay there because when I booked AKV I used the 11 month window and was able to secure some value rooms which really helped save some points.

I would literally be breaking the points-bank if I switched to Boardwalk for this trip, and it would be nice to have some points left. Does anyone think I should just splurge like my mom and DH want to do because this is a once in a lifetime trip for all of us to be together, or do you think that it won't matter which resort we stay in because we are going to be enjoying the company of our family members whom we don't always get to see? -- and running around the parks and not going to be in the rooms all that much anyway? :scratchin

I think it is very generous of you. I do not think you should break the point bank and change it. Your family will have a great time at AkV and you deserve to keep some points for yourselves. We are taking friends with us in November but we just changed our one bedroom reservation to a two bedroom. They are thrilled and don't care which resort we stay in. So exciting to be able to share the magic!

^Agree with the above. (Thanks disfanforlife for answering first say so that I did not say what I would have told mom.)

But the majority of the others joining with us have never been to WDW at all, and each family has kids (ages range 3-7).
I think the kids would enjoy the animals at AKV. Every time we stay there, we always hear kids out on the balcony so excited to see whatever animals are within view.

DH and I stayed at AKL on our first trip to WDW. We both were amazed from the moment we walked through the front doors. When I think about what I most remember from our first trip to WDW, I remember a few things about our time in the parks but I remember everything about AKL!

Thanks for the replies. Our family members are all easy going and say they are just thrilled to go at all & it doesn't matter where we are staying. So there's no push from them -- or really from my mom/stepdad and my husband either. I told them I would look into it....which I did and I can't see putting out MORE points for something that is perfectly fine the way it is, I guess I needed to hear it from someone other than myself, LOL

I know my mom wants to make this a really special, once in a lifetime thing since it is very rare that we all get to see each other - much less spend 7 days together at WDW! I see the benefits of each resort, but I'm going keep what we already have ....besides, I do NOT want to call MS and switch 6 rooms around :scared1:

:) I agree BW is a good location...but AKV transports you to another continent. I think ultimately the BW although beautiful in its own right (except for clown) is just another beautiful hotel. AKV is exotic, invokes a feeling of vacation because it is unlike any other hotel I have visited. From the grasses as you drive up, to the noises you hear on the savanna in the dark...it will be the hotel you would really remember. The pools are great too and will not leave one with a feeling of clowns under the bed as they sleep...:upsidedow

I think the kids will love VAKL, and I think that the distance from the parks may be something some of your party is actually grateful for. Everything will be a bus - there won't be the complicated "if you want to go here, you have to go here" that you get at the BWV (not that that is that hard, but my brother in law did get really frustrated trying to get back to BWV from Epcot - he walked to the front expecting a bus.)

Even though that week is a bit of a lull, it might be too late to get 6 villas at BWV at this point, especially since you are booking using two memberships. The 7 month window is already open or about to be for that week.

Would your Mom be OK with some family members at BWV and the rest at AKV? I don't think I'd want to risk it!

FWIW, I love BWV and almost always stay there. That said, I think a large family group with children would have a wonderful; time at AKV and I plan to stay there when I can talk my sister into joining us for a stay.

Everything will be a bus - there won't be the complicated "if you want to go here, you have to go here" that you get at the BWV (not that that is that hard, but my brother in law did get really frustrated trying to get back to BWV from Epcot - he walked to the front expecting a bus.)
Good point. On more than one occasion I've met people at the BW bus stop who mentioned how annoyed they were at how long they had been waiting for the bus to Epcot.

OK - so, we have a big family reunion trip booked for the week before Thanksgiving (6 villas total of varying size - studios, 1 bedrooms, etc.) I booked 3 under my membership and my mom booked the other 3 using her membership 6 nights for each reservation, and are giving the room portion of the trip to our family members so that they can go and only have to put out money for park tickets, food etc. pixiedust:

We booked AKV Jambo House (which I love, as it is one of my home resorts & one of my moms as well). After I get everything all booked and a few months pass my Mom tells me the Boardwalk may be better :scared: I should also explain that of course my family and my mom/step dad have been to WDW many, many times --But the majority of the others joining with us have never been to WDW at all, and each family has kids (ages range 3-7). In many ways I do agree with my mom as the Boardwalk is also a home resort for me (and the resort that we joined DVC with back in 2000) and the location is superb. However, there is quite a hefty jump in points needed to stay there because when I booked AKV I used the 11 month window and was able to secure some value rooms which really helped save some points.

I would literally be breaking the points-bank if I switched to Boardwalk for this trip, and it would be nice to have some points left. Does anyone think I should just splurge like my mom and DH want to do because this is a once in a lifetime trip for all of us to be together, or do you think that it won't matter which resort we stay in because we are going to be enjoying the company of our family members whom we don't always get to see? -- and running around the parks and not going to be in the rooms all that much anyway? :scratchin

This is so very generous of you and your mom.

Since your mom is a DVC member also and knows how the points charts are I'm a bit surprised she wants to do this. Hopefully you will be able to keep things the way they are and you can conserve your points. AKV has real WOW factor, especially for people who have never been there. Great pools and better food options. They will all have a fantastic time!

Have fun on your trip!

I wouldn't make the change in this situation. Using up all your extra points and getting all the units reserved is likely to be a nightmare. You'd likely get part of the units then not be able to get the rest.

I agree with all the recommendations to keep things as they are. You're lucky to have obtained some value rooms, and it would be silly to give them up at this point. Everyone will have a wonderful vacation regardless of the resort.

Have you asked MS to mark your and your mother's reservations as "travelling with" one another? That's a way for the room assigner to see that the rooms should be close to one another if possible.

If I was being treated to a vacation in Disney, I could care less which resort you picked! I think you are being very generous and there's nothing wrong with not wanting to use up more pts. and like you said call MS to move around a bunch of rooms.

Hoep you all enjoy your vacation!!! pixiedust:

I'd stick with AKV and we actually are doing just that. We are doing a big family trip at Christmas (already high point cost) and I booked my family in a 2BR and SIL2's family in a studio...both with my AKV points and both standard view at Kidani-AKV. SIL1 booked her family (with her points) a 2BR also at Kidani. I booked MIL and FIL in a 1BR at OKW with my OKW points and will try to switch them over to AKV at 7 months out (though they will be happy to stay at OKW if they need to...both are similar in point cost). We used into 2014 points for this. SIL2 is paying us a little (renting for cheap) to use our points this time (in 2011 we gifted her the points). MIL and FIL kind of bought 1/2 of our OKW contract and get 100/200 points per year (they are using a bit more than their 100). I am looking forward to AKV as we have not stayed there yet and I think it will look lovely with all the Xmas decorations. While staying at BWV would be nice in terms of walking to/from Epcot and HS...we just can't afford the point costs when we are booking for 3 families and at such an expensive time of year (point wise). SIL2 told us that she didn't care where we booked and was just appreciative that we could help them by booking a room for pretty cheap (they'd pay an arm and a leg to book a regular resort room for that time...like POR would be $1423).

So, I say save your points. You may need another trip after the big family trip (LOL...I know we will).

Totally AKL!!! My 1 & 3 yr old LOVED the resort and activities...and the transportation is so easy. Don't change! I personally would be a little worried in the BW area with my kids that age since they are too young to really go off by themselves in that large of an area. Whereas they can be in the pool area/Mara/Game room, etc. without much concern. I think AKL is just better all around at those ages. And just wait until they hear about the night vision goggles! They'll go nuts!

Stick with what you guys originally thought and it will be an amazing trip for less points. And you are a FABULOUS sister - I want in the family!

Have a great trip!

So, I say save your points. You may need another trip after the big family trip (LOL...I know we will).

My thoughts exactly! My husband already said "do we have something booked yet for February?"

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Totally AKL!!! My 1 & 3 yr old LOVED the resort and activities...and the transportation is so easy. Don't change! I personally would be a little worried in the BW area with my kids that age since they are too young to really go off by themselves in that large of an area. Whereas they can be in the pool area/Mara/Game room, etc. without much concern. I think AKL is just better all around at those ages. And just wait until they hear about the night vision goggles! They'll go nuts!

Stick with what you guys originally thought and it will be an amazing trip for less points. And you are a FABULOUS sister - I want in the family!

Have a great trip!

Thanks! My original thought for AKV - besides the obvious (less points used there for value) was that all of these young kids will be in awe of the animals on the savanna. And I do want to try the night vision goggles - always wanted to, never had a chance.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter