Diehard Disney Fans willing to give Universal a shot

PlutoTheDog89

DIS Veteran
I've been dying to do Halloween Horror Nights. Strangers Things being added kind of swayed me.

I'm trying to understand the tickets and what the best bet is, though.

Does Universal close early for Halloween Horror Nights? Would I have to buy a park tickets for the daytime, then a separate ticket for Halloween Horror Nights? Would it be better to just purchase tickets with a Max Pass for Halloween Horror Nights?

Sorry, trying to understand this. We're going to Disney for Christmas, so we're trying to save some cash and make a quick weekend trip. Maybe it'd be better to just go a few days early for Christmas and venture over there? Decisions, decisions...

I've been dying to do Halloween Horror Nights. Strangers Things being added kind of swayed me.

I'm trying to understand the tickets and what the best bet is, though.

Does Universal close early for Halloween Horror Nights? Would I have to buy a park tickets for the daytime, then a separate ticket for Halloween Horror Nights? Would it be better to just purchase tickets with a Max Pass for Halloween Horror Nights?

Sorry, trying to understand this. We're going to Disney for Christmas, so we're trying to save some cash and make a quick weekend trip. Maybe it'd be better to just go a few days early for Christmas and venture over there? Decisions, decisions...
I have not been to HHN, but like you may go for Stranger Things. You will find a lot of information on the HHN sticky thread at the top of this forum.

Universal Studios closes early on HHN nights (around 5 PM).
Halloween Horror Nights requires a separate ticket than the regular park ticket.
You can purchase a Day/Night combo ticket where you can enter earlier (2 PM) than the event.
Some Universal Studios rides close during HHN hours.

Islands of Adventure stays open later on HHN nights (usually 9 PM).
So if you have Park-to-Park tickets (without HHN), you may want to visit Universal Studios in the morning and then switch to Islands of Adventure late in the afternoon.

Last edited:

Yes, you will have to buy separate tickets to the park during the day and HHN for the evening. And yes, the park will normally close a bit early for HHN to start. Also note that EPs are separate for HHN than for the park during the day. And that means if staying onsite at RPR, HRH or PBR won't get you EPs for HHN. Those will have to purchased (if you want them) separately.

If you are considering doing just the one day including HHN that night, I'd encourage you to do just do HHN this time then get a full day in during your Christmas trip to really explore the park(s). You don't save enough doing both at once to make up for being exhausted by the time HHN is kicking into gear, or taking time out for a good break during the day to be able to make it through the whole HHN night. You can still hit a few rides during HHN and it'll be overall so much less frenetic than 9am-2am... Better to have a whole day to really enjoy later.

HHN is amazing and I can't wait for the Stranger Things House!!

Check out the HHN sticky, there is such great info. We like to stay on site, at HRH. It's so close and easy to walk to and from. We hit the park at opening, take a break and then do a RIP public tour for our 1st night. The tour gives you front of the line access to all the houses, scare zones and the lanyard is an express pass for the rest of the night for the rides.

The next day; we get up early for the parks, take a mid-day break and get into the park before it closes at 5PM for Stay-N-Scream. We like to hang out in the Springfield area at Moe's to have a drink or two while waiting. We will hit the houses that are Stay-N-Scream and on to our next favorite house. We always get an Express Pass for Horror Nights, as we do not like lines. Even with the Express Pass you can have a wait, but it's so much better than the regular line. We love to people watch, enjoy the scare zones and really take in the atmosphere on our 2nd night.

There's a great deal going on now to June 6 for HHN tickets. For about $78, you can get any two nights between Sunday to Friday. You don't need to pick the two nights you want to go ahead of time. I think two nights is good for HHN if you are not using Express. You can do half the houses one night and half the other.

Just to be clear, you don't have to get a daytime park ticket to go to the nighttime HHN event. If you want to just go to HHN, you can buy a ticket for that. Highly recommend HHN express pass (or RIP tour if budget allows) to be sure to see everything that night.

Just to be clear, you don't have to get a daytime park ticket to go to the nighttime HHN event. If you want to just go to HHN, you can buy a ticket for that. Highly recommend HHN express pass (or RIP tour if budget allows) to be sure to see everything that night.

You do need a daytime ticket if you want to stay in Universal when the park closes to non HHN ticket holders. You can go to the stay and scream areas if you are in the park already. You just need to show your HHN ticket. This gives you a jump on the houses.

The “The Stay and Scream “ areas are popular with folks who do not have EP. People are released from these areas to get to the haunted houses near their chosen Stay and Scream area while people who where not in Universal when the park closed are waiting in line to get in.

You do need a daytime ticket if you want to stay in Universal when the park closes to non HHN ticket holders. You can go to the stay and scream areas if you are in the park already. You just need to show your HHN ticket. This gives you a jump on the houses.

The “The Stay and Scream “ areas are popular with folks who do not have EP. People are released from these areas to get to the haunted houses near their chosen Stay and Scream area while people who where not in Universal when the park closed are waiting in line to get in.

Indeed Robo56 is correct, and my clarification needed a clarification. Thanks Robo!

We were able to make it through two houses before the crowds descended with stay and scream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!