Dining plan and picky "adult" eater

Amanda Hendricks

Earning My Ears
We will be traveling next year with our 10 year old daughter who is a picky eater. Would it make sense to just get the quick service plan for her and pay OOP for any "real" meals? Anything issues with that that I may not be thinking of? (Character meals would be one I guess but I doubt we'd do more than 1 or 2) She's going to be much more interested in getting snacks throughout the day in the parks and won't eat much at a restaurant.

I assume everyone in your party doesn't have to get the same plan?

You've assumed wrong. Everyone on the reservation must have the same plan. The QS plan is generally the least cost-effective. You'd likely be better off with no dining plan unless you have additional kids in your room.

Last edited:

All buffets are going to charge her adult price to enter, whether you are on the dining plan or paying out of pocket. Many other table service restaurants will allow her to order (and charge her for) a kids meal if you are paying out of pocket. If you are on the dining plan, she will require an adult meal credit, but they will often modify kids meals to adult portions or simplify meals to suit her preferences.

Fwiw- Everyone in the room has to be on the same dining plan (none, QS, DDP or DxDP). Most people find that the dining plans don't actually save any money. There are a few exceptions, but it doesn't sound like your family would fall into one of those. You can still eat all the places you want whether or not you are on the meal plan, but going without the dining plan offers more flexibility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!