• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining reviews - Day 3 - Backlot Express and Jiko

vasoccermom

Mouseketeer
Backlot Express (lunch) - watched the 11:15 Indiana Stunt show which let out right next to the Backlot express so I thought I'd check it out for lunch. Was pleased with the selection so we ate here. DH & I got the grilled turkey and cheese (swiss) sandwich with arugula and red pepper on a really hearty wheat bread. Great sandwich. DS got tasty chicken tenders (not the kids meal) and DD got cold grilled chicken strips w/celery & carrots w/ranch dip and applesauce. A really good, healthy option.
This was a very pleasant suprirse!
Rating: B+

Jiko (dinner) - let me start by saying the chef at Boma had recommended that when we make our PS for Jiko that we ask to sit at the cooking bar so we could watch them make their flatbreads, etc and because he said the interaction with these chefs was great. The hostess was able to accomodate our request and seated us at the Jiko (which literally translates to "the cooking place"). The chefs chatted with us the whole evening and really made the meal fun. Our waitress, Shellie was not only a lot of fun but a great sommelier (although she's reluctant to label herelf as such). Once again the head chef came out to meet DD and talk to us about options for her. We let DD slide a little since I had heard the macaroni and cheese was to die for (apparently the whole staff begs for leftovers at the end of the evening) and indeed it was incredible with a white cheddar cheese sauce. DS ordered the kids filet (medium rare) and it was one of the best steaks he said he had ever had (and it disappeared in about 10 minutes). DH and I shared the ahi tuna appetizer which was served piled high with heirloom beans around the base and with dollops of a yogurt/cilantro/chili dipping sauce. Oh my god...(need to wipe the drool of my keyboard).
DH ordered the monkfish and it was like butter. Wonderful taste and texture. I opted for 2 appetizers; the cinnamon beef rolls w/banana salsa and the kenyan coffee chicken flatbread. Both were incredible. The beef rolls were like a cross between a spring roll and flauta filled with this scrumptious meat and the accompanying salsa was unique and tasty. The flatbread was wonderful as well but hard as we tried, we couldn't finish it. The flatbread was first topped w/grilled onions, then the chicken and thinly julienned apple slices with a bbq type sauce on type. Very interesting mix of bright flavors. We had an amazing bottle of African Pinotage to drink. The jiko chef then gave us a sample of the marinated tomato, cucumber, onion salad which is one of their big sellers. Very yummy too!
This meal was definitely the highlight of our trip. Although at first I was worried it would be too fancy for the kids, the staff treated them with respect, made them feel important and comfortable and made it a memorable meal for all of us.
Atmosphere, food and service deserve an A+.
Don't miss this place!

Next: Day 4 - Food and Wine and Garden Grill

Jiko is wonderful and I had both the cinnamon beef rolls and the coffe barbeque chicken flatbread (more like a pizza) and she is right on the money! WONDERFUL! The Kalmata Olive and Goat Cheese flatbread is terrific too. The Duck and Pork firecracker are nothing to write home about. This place is TERRIC all around though!:teeth:

Thanks for the review of Jiko. We consider Jiko to be one of our favorites, if not our most favorite, at Disney. I'm glad that you enjoyed yourselves. :)

All these great Jiko reviews are killing me. :teeth: As hard as I've tried, I can't seem to fit it into our upcoming trip. I already warned DH that we had to go back soon, because I have 3 meals that I can't fit in. If everyone doesn't quit giving us these great reviews, we may just have to eat 2 dinners one night. :tongue: Seriously, thanks for the reviews, they were great. :wave2:

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

We have been to AKL 3 times in the last 3 years (always around Christmas) and always end up at Boma,,, I love the BBQ salmon, along with some chicken, and Earl Gray tea Hot,, seems a perfect break from turkey and ham.

But the reviews of Jiko are so good, I'll have to get there.

Great review. Haven't had that flatbread at Jiko but it sounds very tasty.

Thanks for the great reviews. I am so glad you loved Jiko as much as we do. It is one of our favorite places to dine at WDW. The Animal Kingdom Lodge is so beautiful. I know what your saying about the flatbread, it is so good...........

Originally posted by Lewski709
The Kalmata Olive and Goat Cheese flatbread is terrific too.
This is one of our favorites, too!

vasoccermom - Great review! DH and I were just reading the review of Backlot Express and thought it looked interesting for a counter service meal. Now with your review, we'll definitely make it a stop at MGM!

Jiko is one of our favorites but I never heard of requesting the seats you got. We'll have to try that next time! We were lucky enough to be seated at the window near the streamt that has the hidden mickey in the rock. That was a fun surprise! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter