Dining Reviews - Day 4 - EPCOT F&W & Garden Grill

vasoccermom

Mouseketeer
Food & Wine - We spent the early afternoon eating our way around the world while DD worked on her mask at the various pavilions. Started in Greece w/Gyros. Yum. Then DD got cheddar soup at Canada. Wow - it was great. Stopped in Marocco for real lunch for kids. DH got beef shwarma sandwich; very good, DS got pizza and DD got chicken strips (not great). I got hummus and pita which was nothing out of the ordinary. Had a tokyo roll and sake near Japan while DH had a Kirin. Stopped in front of U.S. for cinnamon glazed pecans and almonds and took them into the Sam Adams tasting with me. A CM saw us in line and I thought he was going to tell us we couldn't attend because we had kids with us. On the contrary; he seated us first towards the side and had seats set aside just off to the side of the tent where the kids could sit. While we had our 20 minute seminar and tasting of 4 types of Sam Adams, another CM chatted with the kids and kept them entertained the whole time! The beer was great too. The chocolate bock was very different.
Got kids chocolate gelato at Italy and then tried to hold off buying any more food because we had a 6:10 PS set up at Garden Grill.
This Food and Wine thing was great fun. If we didn't have the kids, we'd have attended many more of the cooking and wine seminars. They seemed fascinating (but not for kids!).

Garden Grill (dinner) - we had never done a character meal with the kids and since they're now 8 & 10, I thought we'd need to do one before they got too old and jaded! So I told them we had a PS at the Garden Grill but didn't let on that it was a character meal. They were thrilled when Dale showed up with wads of paper towel in his pocket that he kept throwing at the waitress as she walked by. Before I mention the food, let me just say the character interaction was great. Each character (Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale) each made 2 visits and stayed as long as we interacted with them. Dale was hysterically mischevious and kept the kids in stitches. Once again the chef came out to meet DD (diabetic) and was able to make her up some plain steak instead of the mac n' cheese and chicken tenders. We asked for our steak to be medium rare and they accomodated us with a skillet full of steak which was a good thing because DS decided he liked our meal better than his and ended up eating a ton of steak! The catfish was tasty but pretty heavily fried and the pork loin was nice and tender with a pineapple salsa on top. The veggies had a nice seasoning to them too. The waitress brought more drinks before our first glasses were half empty. Oh forgot to mention they start you off with salad w/ranch dressing and bread w/whipped butter. Very good. Dessert was dirt pudding for DS, sugar free ice cream for DD and a wonderful apple crisp topped w/vanilla ice cream for DH and myself. The food was pretty good, the characters were great, service gracious and the kids enjoyed the rotating restaurant and seeing different scenes from the land as they ate. A really enjoyable meal!
Rating: B+

Last up: Day 5 - Mara and Earl of Sandwich

Do you count carbs for your DD? How did you figure out how to handle the chocolate gelato and cheddar ceese soup? Our DS2 is type I juvenile onset and I can count basic things with the help of a handy book but things like that....we just end up skipping usually. What was your secret?

Enjoying your reviews.

For the cheddar cheese soup, I asked the CM the ingredients (cheese, a little onion, a tiny bit of flour) so I thought we were safe there since it was a tiny cup. I probably goofed with the gelato because her number was quite high at dinner but I simply adjusted her insulin.
At the nicer restaurants, I always spoke with the chefs for suggestions and at the counter service places i just tried to replace the fries with healthier options. It didn't always work but my DD bounces around with her numbers a lot anyway. She never stays high for too long since she's so active!

karen

Unfortunately I know all about the bouncing around glucose levels!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :rolleyes:

Great reviews!

Were the cinnamon glazed pecans as yummy as they sound?

Karen

Hi Miffy2003!
You know, that's a good question. As far as the taste, they were certainly yummy, but I"m a texture person and I would have liked them crispier...they didn't crunch they way I would have liked. Didn't stop me from racing through the bagful in record time! Then again, I was pairing them with the Sam Adams beers so how could that be bad?

Karen

A bit of a silly question....at the Garden Grill did the salad come already dressed and if so, do you think it would be a big deal to have it on the side??

Thanks.

Princess Dana,

Not a silly question at all.
The salad did come fully dressed but it was right on top so I'm sure it got put on last. I have absolutely no doubt you would not have a problem asking for it on the side (all the restaurants were completely accomodating).

Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter