Dining Reviews From a First Timer

Great reviews! Thank you!
We are from CA too but live in MI now and go to WDW most years. Grew up going to Disneyland. We are going to Disneyland this August after not having been in 12 years! Do you have a favorite food place at DL or CA?

Great reviews! Thank you!
We are from CA too but live in MI now and go to WDW most years. Grew up going to Disneyland. We are going to Disneyland this August after not having been in 12 years! Do you have a favorite food place at DL or CA?

DH & I are making a quick weekend trip to Disneyland in August as well. I've got to see the MSEP before it goes away!

My favorite QS locations at DL are Rancho del Zocalo, Jolly Holiday and Plaza Inn and at CA are the Boardwalk Bakery, Smokejumpers Grill and the Boudin Bakery. It all depends on what we're in the mood to eat. Rancho is decent Mexican food and we can share a plate and have plenty. Jolly Holiday has a good turkey sandwich or tomato soup & grilled cheese. Plaza Inn has the best fried chicken! It's WAY better than Homecomin'. :duck: Boardwalk Bakery has the best sun-dried tomato chicken pasta. Smokejumpers has pretty good burgers and a topping bar. I like the salads at Boudin Bakery and they're served in a bread bowl.

As far as TS, we don't eat at the restaurants very often, but do enjoy Blue Bayou at DL. Love their gumbo! I don't think we've actually eaten at any of the TS restaurants at CA.

Thank you! These are awesome recommendations! We were planning on QS except for lunch at CA since it is part of the colors of light package my BIL booked for all of us.

Sci-Fi Dine-In

We had a late lunch scheduled for Sci-Fi since we had the Star Wars dessert party this evening. Since there is pretty much no lighting in here, the pictures that I tried to take didn't come out, so I'll be using more Google images on this meal. :rolleyes:

I had the Drive-In BBQ Burger - Our signature blend of beef, BBQ spice, brioche bun, house-made BBQ sauce, bacon and cheddar served with crispy-fried jalapeno and onion straws.

upload_2017-7-19_7-59-14.png

This was a decent burger, but if you're going to specifically advertise "crispy fried jalapeno and onion straws" make them crispy! :sad2: The breading was soft and kinda soggy, so the texture would've been much better had they actually been crispy. I ended up picking most of them off. I still enjoyed the BBQ and bacon part of it. :teeth: The fries were good too. I like that they were thicker cut steak fries.

For dessert, I had the Out of This World Turtle Cheesecake - with Heath bar, pecans, chocolate chips, caramel sauce, and topped with whipped cream.

upload_2017-7-19_8-8-17.png

This was heaven on a plate! So, so, so good! I love cheesecake in just about any variation, until you put fruit on it, and this didn't disappoint at all. I had to be rolled out of the restaurant because I finished every last bite of this. :yay:

DH had the Flame-broiled New York Strip Steak - with red wine demi glace, creamy four-cheese macaroni and cheese with bacon-panko crust and seasonal vegetables topped with onion straws. I can't seem to find any pictures of this since the menu changed and I didn't actually take one of his meal because he was sitting behind DS & I. You'll just have to take my word for it that it was good and he finished it. :rolleyes1

For dessert, DH ordered the house-made sci-fi candy bar - white and dark chocolate mousse layered with crispy pearls sandwiched between sponge cake and dipped in chocolate ganache.

upload_2017-7-19_9-56-7.png

He enjoyed this dessert! I had a taste and it was too rich and chocolatey for me, but he loved it.

DS ordered a kids cheeseburger and ate it without complaint. He was too full to enjoy his ice cream sundae, so most of that ended up going to waste, unfortunately.

This was more of an experience restaurant than a food based one, but we were pleasantly surprised that we enjoyed it as much as we did. I think next time we'll try 50's Prime Time, but I wouldn't be sad to come back to Sci-Fi either. From the stories I'd read about the food at HS in general, this was more than ok. :D

Star Wars Dessert Party

This will be yet another review with no pictures. o_O

We arrived at Launch Bay after they'd let people in, so we ended up grabbing a table up the stairs, near where the jawas meet and trade. It wasn't too bad since we were pretty close to the freeze dried Nutella station. :love:

I know we tried a little bit of everything, including a couple of the drinks. The standouts that I ended up getting more of was the hummus and Darth Vader chocolate peanut butter cupcake. I don't always love chocolate and peanut butter together, especially when it's something that's baked since the texture is usually off, but those were delicious! We also really enjoyed the Galactic Punch or whatever that drink was called. I think DH and I had a couple of those during the party. I tried the margarita too, but it wasn't as good as the punch.

I'm not sure that we would do the dessert party again, but it was definitely fun for our first experience at HS. I think next time I'll try to catch Fantasmic, although the Star Wars fireworks were amazing!

Reactions: DLo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter