Direct tour guide made commentary on resale

Having just bought a direct contract with Aulani at the end of August, it's not sold out. They were running some atypical discounts for Disney direct that ended in August. Probably what they meant.

I was offered a lot of Aulani resort credit, on top of the direct purchase incentives at the time (April 2018). They really were desperate to sell.

It was obvious the guides had gone through focus group training to sell DVC as a membership and a lifestyle vs prepaid accommodation. The guide reiterated: [Disney is in the business of entertainment, not hotel lodging] continuously through the presentation.

Has anyone had the pleasure of going to the DVC tour as of late? A friend of mine went last week and told me that the DVC guide told her that buying resale had less perks (obviously) and the if she purchased resale she would less use years than buying direct. Also, he said that there is talk of restricting resale buyers to their home resort??.
Never heard that one before. Part of me wants to ask my own DVC guide about it.

Might be the same guide who's been saying this but it's been reported periodically for years. Nothing new and nothing to call your own guide about other than if you want to know if they'll try that spiel too or not. And it's just not possible unless they completely remove a resort and then no one who owned there could trade.

Less years is 100% dependent on the resort. If CCV is bought resale it's the exact same as they are selling direct for the end date. And technically one could end up with more points than direct if someone found a resale contract with banked, current and all points going forwards.

More importantly, Disney made its name by being different than other timeshares. And they made a real mark. The points system wasn’t invented by DVC but they made it the industry standard.

Not being nickeled and dimed to death is a real perk, for both direct and resale.

DVC, when it was implemented, was a leader in how to do timeshares right.

Now? “All the other timeshares do it, too.”

It’s unnecessary.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, DVC ignores more foot traffic than most timeshares ever see. There were lots of options available to them besides “let’s dis resale”.

Unlike other timeshares where buying retail is the only revenue engine in play, resale DVC owners are committing to spending tens of thousands of dollars, over decades, with Disney. That shouldn’t be penalized.

I think it’s wrong, from a business standpoint, to treat your customers that way. And, if DVC could look over the top of their silo, resale buyers are still some of DISNEY’s most committted customers.

Exactly. The DVC profits, which I'm sure are huge, are small compared to the halo effect in revenue they generate. Year after year, they basically ensure their fans come to their property and spend a small fortune on tickets, food, and merchandise. No other Timeshare comes close to the kind of halo effect Disney gets. Someone buying resale is still telling Disney I plan on going to your parks for years to come on a regular basis and I'm going to consistently blow a lot of money doing it.

I was offered a lot of Aulani resort credit, on top of the direct purchase incentives at the time (April 2018). They really were desperate to sell.

It was obvious the guides had gone through focus group training to sell DVC as a membership and a lifestyle vs prepaid accommodation. The guide reiterated: [Disney is in the business of entertainment, not hotel lodging] continuously through the presentation.

Yeah, my DVC guide, whom I really liked and wasn't high pressure at all, let his poker face slip when I agreed to buy in at Aulani. He seemed kind of surprised and excited, but I don't think he gets a lot of people being based in Florida (and I bought on a cruise in Europe), specifically wanting to buy at Aulani.

"Might be the same guide who's been saying this but it's been reported periodically for years."

Not sure why my quote feature wasn't working. Anyway, based on the number of reports we have heard of this rumor, I think its lots of guides saying it. Probably a sales technique discussed in a break lounge, with wording on how to imply how the restrictions could be implemented without being legally liable for saying they would be.

"Might be the same guide who's been saying this but it's been reported periodically for years."

Not sure why my quote feature wasn't working. Anyway, based on the number of reports we have heard of this rumor, I think its lots of guides saying it. Probably a sales technique discussed in a break lounge, with wording on how to imply how the restrictions could be implemented without being legally liable for saying they would be.

I don't see it really reported that often. When someone does it usually tenders a lengthy discussion about it but it's far from a daily occurrence. Literally it could be 1 guide although yes, it's probably more than one. I don't think it's the norm - most guides likely don't even mention resale unless it's brought up.

I don't see it really reported that often. When someone does it usually tenders a lengthy discussion about it but it's far from a daily occurrence. Literally it could be 1 guide although yes, it's probably more than one. I don't think it's the norm - most guides likely don't even mention resale unless it's brought up.

The one I heard it from was Eric L, but he's a younger guy, so I doubt he's been saying it for years and years. This is why I assume he heard it from another and it has passed along the chain as a last ditch sales attempt.

Yeah, my DVC guide, whom I really liked and wasn't high pressure at all, let his poker face slip when I agreed to buy in at Aulani. He seemed kind of surprised and excited, but I don't think he gets a lot of people being based in Florida (and I bought on a cruise in Europe), specifically wanting to buy at Aulani.

Err... I still didn't buy any. We didn't trust the guide (caught her contradicting herself multiple times in her presentation) and decided to do some investigations before taking the plunge. When we returned home we found out she did tell one truth - Mouse Sales can't even talk to me to answer basic questions when I'm not physically on American soil.

I'm not sure why handcuffing resales does any benefit to DVC sales reps when all it does is tell a potential buyer that if you ever want to get out of your purchase, it's going to be a lot harder.

They're counting on ignorance of how the system works. Most people don't buy expecting to sell, but most people buy hoping to book BCV at some point. But if all those BCV resale owners are "stuck" at BCV and can't switch, rooms won't ever open for those folks. But they don't think that way, especially with the "you can ALWAYS change at 7 months!" lines.

you can buy on a cruise in europe? did you actually buy? the full thing? or did you pay once you got home?

Is the information that we are all hearing about it started with "I've heard a rumor that.." or "I was told it was possible that they may start..."? If this is the case, yes, its shady, but technically isn't a lie, just a sales tactic.
My guide gave me the rumor line and I threw it back in his face, saying "Great! That means I'll be able to rent out my resort to DVC owners now!" He quickly changed the subject when I said that.
He said something to the effect of “ there is talk of restricting resale buyers to the resort that they had purchased .” He didn’t say who was talking lol. I asked you guys on here and was set straight that they can’t do that. It was before the Poly sold out and they were pushing that hard. So a while ago.

The one I heard it from was Eric L, but he's a younger guy, so I doubt he's been saying it for years and years. This is why I assume he heard it from another and it has passed along the chain as a last ditch sales attempt.
I heard it from Sean.

you can buy on a cruise in europe? did you actually buy? the full thing? or did you pay once you got home?

Technically I bought sailing through the English Channel, but yes, we did purchase/pay right then and there. There were a couple of extra pieces to sign that were sent the week we got back (notarized things Hawaii requires), but it was otherwise a done deal. Our packet even had a European disclosure.

Technically I bought sailing through the English Channel, but yes, we did purchase/pay right then and there. There were a couple of extra pieces to sign that were sent the week we got back (notarized things Hawaii requires), but it was otherwise a done deal. Our packet even had a European disclosure.

that's very interesting....
we're not allowed to buy direct from israel - that is, disney won't even talk to us if we call from israel..
they'll only talk/sell to you if you call from a country where they're registered (e.g. UK)...

so on our european cruise next summer, we'll be able to buy our 75 direct points?
although that won't work either...we need SSR or BLT direct points, not whatever it is they're selling at the time...

Why do they need to fix it, the booking windows are working as planned.

:earsboy: Bill
Contractually they have an obligation to even out demand. It's not general availability that they have to fix but they do need to adjust so that their is a more even demand across the system. This likely means raising studios and early December.

I’m surprised DVC doesn’t do this:

Implement an separate trade system at 9 months.

11 month home resort
9 month DVC sponsored trades
7 month club trading (aka the window).
Problematic. The only way to do so would be a VIP system and I think that ship has sailed.

More importantly, Disney made its name by being different than other timeshares. And they made a real mark. The points system wasn’t invented by DVC but they made it the industry standard.

Not being nickeled and dimed to death is a real perk, for both direct and resale.

DVC, when it was implemented, was a leader in how to do timeshares right.

Now? “All the other timeshares do it, too.”

It’s unnecessary.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, DVC ignores more foot traffic than most timeshares ever see. There were lots of options available to them besides “let’s dis resale”.

Unlike other timeshares where buying retail is the only revenue engine in play, resale DVC owners are committing to spending tens of thousands of dollars, over decades, with Disney. That shouldn’t be penalized.

I think it’s wrong, from a business standpoint, to treat your customers that way. And, if DVC could look over the top of their silo, resale buyers are still some of DISNEY’s most committted customers.
IMO they want to make people think their different but they really aren't. They're just another good timeshare and in some areas, other companies are better. They do ignore a lot of opportunities. I've long said there are many things they could do to get more tours and likely more sales. Easy options, tie in to check in for non members and reach out to RCI guests.

Less years is 100% dependent on the resort. If CCV is bought resale it's the exact same as they are selling direct for the end date.

Thanks for addressing that. Except for when they were selling bay lake and akl at the same time (I think they have the same end date), the one they are currently pushing is the newest one and will therefore have the longest time on it. So yes, if you buy resale instead of the most current you’ll get fewer years.

Gosh, salespeople are good. Saying things that are true but not TRUE.

Everyone should go to presentations with a current owner that knows how it works. My cousin’s presentation at princess this year was good bc I sat through it with her. The sales lady wasn’t able to spout nonsense bc of me. :)

they'll only talk/sell to you if you call from a country where they're registered (e.g. UK)...

so on our european cruise next summer, we'll be able to buy our 75 direct points?
although that won't work either...we need SSR or BLT direct points, not whatever it is they're selling at the time...

I imagine Disney wouldn’t have a Dvc presentation if in a country’s waters where they couldn’t sell!

I think the guides on dcl could sell the other resorts...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!