DIS Fit 2020: New Hopes and Goals

Confirmed that I am working from home through May 1st. At least. Fun times! Now I know I have a month to plan and I hope I can focus on my health and fitness. At least the rain is supposed to stop overnight and tomorrow I can get out to walk the dog again! I am thinking of doing a couch to 5K in a few weeks, after I get walking regularly for a few weeks. Plus my short videos to break up my day and sitting all day.

I did a 30 minute walk today, well 10 and then 20 minutes. And I stuck with my WW points. Though that was hard. I really need more fresh vegetables in the house, but it's so scary to go grocery shopping. Frozen ones just aren't the same. Ah well... I will hopefully figure that out soon.

So, no one has posted in here since March 31! Hope it's ok to resurect :)

I have found out I will be working from home over the summer, basically going back when school starts up again in September. That is provided things are open and there is a chance I'll be home longer if the office is only back at 30% of people allowed in (and 2 per elevator, man that will be hard!).

So I have 3 months at home to try and focus on getting my butt in gear. This COVID lockdown has impacted my eating a lot. As much as I have been trying to follow WW, the snacks are right there. I think, I hope, I am finally figuring it out. Yesterday was a really good day, I had rollover points, did a 30 minute walk at home, took the dog for a walk and got my 250 steps per hour I am working at home. I really find that is helpful for my hips which are not liking working from home. My sleep has been terrible, I haven't been tracking it because I know it's not enough, last night I wore my fitbit to bed for the first time and got less than 5 hours of sleep. Yeah. So. I need to work on that!

The weather is taking a hot turn, 38 or 39 with humidex today so I took the dog out early, did a 20 minute workout before I started working, need to get that to 30 minutes but it was a start. And doing my steps. I've preplanned my meals, and have to stick to it. Steak for supper, which kiddo really wants so I'll have to cook. Zucchini for me, pasta for him. And a big salad for lunch with some little bocconi balls and a balsamic homemade dressing.

I hope everyone is doing ok, hanging in there, trying to stay healthy and as active as we can in these times.

@hdrolfe I could feel the "snacking" creeping up on us as well! I had to stop buying "treats". DH would crave a little something in the evenings, then before I knew it, "I" was craving it too (even though I really wasn't).

I'm trying to make sure I always have a glass of water beside me at all times. Something to reach for instead of snacks.

I also keep trying on my pants with buttons and zippers to make sure they still fit! LOL

Thanks for resurrecting this!

I need a kick in the butt.

After this pandemic started I had some health problems which coincided with me staying at home... which has meant a lot of lying on the couch eating whatever junk I could keep down. (Always carbs!) But now I am better and motivated and the weather is turning more positively... and since we had to cancel our travel and will be home for the summer, it is the time to get going!

Smoothies for lunch is a start for us.

Thinking of that zucchini now is a possibility...

So, no one has posted in here since March 31! Hope it's ok to resurect :)

I have found out I will be working from home over the summer, basically going back when school starts up again in September. That is provided things are open and there is a chance I'll be home longer if the office is only back at 30% of people allowed in (and 2 per elevator, man that will be hard!).

So I have 3 months at home to try and focus on getting my butt in gear. This COVID lockdown has impacted my eating a lot. As much as I have been trying to follow WW, the snacks are right there. I think, I hope, I am finally figuring it out. Yesterday was a really good day, I had rollover points, did a 30 minute walk at home, took the dog for a walk and got my 250 steps per hour I am working at home. I really find that is helpful for my hips which are not liking working from home. My sleep has been terrible, I haven't been tracking it because I know it's not enough, last night I wore my fitbit to bed for the first time and got less than 5 hours of sleep. Yeah. So. I need to work on that!

The weather is taking a hot turn, 38 or 39 with humidex today so I took the dog out early, did a 20 minute workout before I started working, need to get that to 30 minutes but it was a start. And doing my steps. I've preplanned my meals, and have to stick to it. Steak for supper, which kiddo really wants so I'll have to cook. Zucchini for me, pasta for him. And a big salad for lunch with some little bocconi balls and a balsamic homemade dressing.

I hope everyone is doing ok, hanging in there, trying to stay healthy and as active as we can in these times.

WW is a great program but to be successful you have to change how you think about food first. That can be very hard when you have snacks and other foods that are tempting but not necessarily the best choices for plan. I've been on plan now for 20 months (down 95 pounds) and once I got my head in the game it was much easier. I still eat what I want but I plan for everything and make sure my portions fit within my points. I track everything I eat either immediately before or right after I eat so I always know what I have left for the day and time to adjust the next meal. For example, today is DH's birthday. He wants T-Bone steak and ice cream cake. The steak isn't a problem because I only eat 3-4 ounces of meat at a time but the ice cream cake is very high points. I'm planning on a small piece and just finished a 2 point breakfast (large vegetable omelette and 1 piece microwave bacon). Lunch will likely be a 3 point salad (mixed greens, tuna, clementine and salad dressing) so I have all the points I need to celebrate with him and have a piece of cake without feeling left out. I know I can use weekly points if necessary. Buy yourself special treats that are just for you if that's what it takes. Best of luck!

WW is a great program but to be successful you have to change how you think about food first. That can be very hard when you have snacks and other foods that are tempting but not necessarily the best choices for plan. I've been on plan now for 20 months (down 95 pounds) and once I got my head in the game it was much easier. I still eat what I want but I plan for everything and make sure my portions fit within my points. I track everything I eat either immediately before or right after I eat so I always know what I have left for the day and time to adjust the next meal. For example, today is DH's birthday. He wants T-Bone steak and ice cream cake. The steak isn't a problem because I only eat 3-4 ounces of meat at a time but the ice cream cake is very high points. I'm planning on a small piece and just finished a 2 point breakfast (large vegetable omelette and 1 piece microwave bacon). Lunch will likely be a 3 point salad (mixed greens, tuna, clementine and salad dressing) so I have all the points I need to celebrate with him and have a piece of cake without feeling left out. I know I can use weekly points if necessary. Buy yourself special treats that are just for you if that's what it takes. Best of luck!

Thanks :) I was on the green plan and found it was a lot of points, but I'd spend them on things like chips and ice cream. I have switched to Blue and the fact I can have eggs for breakfast, no points, and a salad for lunch with chicken or tuna on it for 0 points (plus whatever for the dressing) means I have points left for dinner and an evening snack. So because I have points left I'm not cheating and eating without logging it. It is hard though because my son loves chips and has bacon for almost every breakfast, it is hard to cook for him and not be able to eat these things myself. It's why I had to stop doing keto, it was too hard to feed him and not just have a taste. I think blue is working better for me but it hasn't been a week yet. I also had to stop using my fit points because I was using them as an excuse to eat more, oh I earned 11 fitpoints! I can have ice cream with that :) It has been a learning curve for sure. I found Spokes which are crunchy and satisfy my chip craving, and Halo Top to get my "ice cream" fix. I just need to find a chocolate treat I can have that is low points and I'll be all set. I do wish McDonalds was still serving salads though, kiddo constantly wants a burger and I can't have anything there now. It sucks to get him a combo and I get a diet coke and come home and have to make myself something. At least if I talk him into Harvey's instead I can get a 5 point grilled chicken sandwich and be happy with that. I just hate cooking lol. But I have a menu for this week, and we'll stick to it. No eating out :) or ordering in. Since we don't really eat it out.

Thanks :) I was on the green plan and found it was a lot of points, but I'd spend them on things like chips and ice cream. I have switched to Blue and the fact I can have eggs for breakfast, no points, and a salad for lunch with chicken or tuna on it for 0 points (plus whatever for the dressing) means I have points left for dinner and an evening snack. So because I have points left I'm not cheating and eating without logging it. It is hard though because my son loves chips and has bacon for almost every breakfast, it is hard to cook for him and not be able to eat these things myself. It's why I had to stop doing keto, it was too hard to feed him and not just have a taste. I think blue is working better for me but it hasn't been a week yet. I also had to stop using my fit points because I was using them as an excuse to eat more, oh I earned 11 fitpoints! I can have ice cream with that :) It has been a learning curve for sure. I found Spokes which are crunchy and satisfy my chip craving, and Halo Top to get my "ice cream" fix. I just need to find a chocolate treat I can have that is low points and I'll be all set. I do wish McDonalds was still serving salads though, kiddo constantly wants a burger and I can't have anything there now. It sucks to get him a combo and I get a diet coke and come home and have to make myself something. At least if I talk him into Harvey's instead I can get a 5 point grilled chicken sandwich and be happy with that. I just hate cooking lol. But I have a menu for this week, and we'll stick to it. No eating out :) or ordering in. Since we don't really eat it out.
I'm on blue as well. I like the Boars Head fully cooked bacon that I can microwave. 1 piece is 1SP but you can have 3 pieces for 2SP. For chips I'll usually have 8 or 9 poppables (depending on flavor) for 1SP with lunch. For my chocolate fix I'll have a bowl of mixed berries with 2 TB of Hershey's sugar free chocolate syrup for 0SP or I'll have single piece of something like a Hershey's miniature, Dove promise, etc. for 2-3 SP. For my nightly ice cream treat, I like the Enlightened pops (almond is 2SP, mint and others are 3SP, avoid the high point Keto versions) or Whole Fruits frozen pops (4SP). We don't eat fast food at all (well except if we are on a road trip and that's all there is) but if you stick to grilled chicken and skip the bun (or have half) you'll be fine. You can even have the 4 piece happy meal but choose the apple slices and water. A kid size fries is in the app as 3SP so you can even have fries. Salads can be very point heavy depending on if it includes cheese, nuts, crunchy things and some salad dressings. This is especially true in some restaurants where salads can have more points than many other things. WW is about a forever lifestyle change and finding ways to live the way you want while meeting your health goals is key.

Ok
I am back on train....
I shall go out to the trails and walk tomorrow,,

Thanks Heather I needed the reminder.:rose:
Hugs
Mel

You've encouraged me to get moving again too. A sore wrist is no reason to not get back on the treadmill. The basement is nice and cold so I don't even have a heat excuse. Gotta go.....

I got up early enough to do my 30 minutes walk with Lesley. Then took the dog for a walk before it gets too hot. BTW, it's already too hot! Man am I sweaty!! I haven't even had breakfast yet but I think I need to stop sweating first or the food might be saltier than usual ;) But I am down to the lowest I've been since I started WW at the end of February so even just 2 days of honest tracking and following the plan has helped. Even though I ate 5 mini cinnamon buns I made yesterday :) that was only 8 points so could have been worse - like the chips my son kept asking me to get him. I only took the normal tax once! That's a big success for me lol. Just one little chip instead of a handful (or more).

Glad to read everyone’s updates!

Things here are very up and down. Some days it feels like we’re doing a good job in the circumstances. Today was rougher. My toddler is fixated on buses. We walk the neighbourhood most days, and he has fun waving at buses and singing about them, but today it wasn’t enough. Today it was everything he wanted to get on a bus, and I know there are lots of people here who know the heartbreak of denying your kid the thing they most want because there’s no other option. We talked about how buses are for people who need them right now, and that we need to keep those people safe by not riding. But he’s 2, and he’s spent months without friends and teachers and outings. He turned 2 with no fanfare earlier this month. He doesn’t understand, and right up until bedtime he was crying about wanting to ride the bus. And now I’m crying on the couch, because his wish is so small and yet so unattainable right now. I’ll pick myself back up tomorrow and try to convince him that another aimless drive in our own car is fun, with the right music and snacks. But wow can this pandemic find unexpected ways to feel just crushing every day.

Well it is time to take a Bus ride

https://happyhomefairy.com/preschool-school-bus-theme/
https://www.google.com/search?q=sch...IEHWpWBmkQ9QEwBHoECAoQIg#imgrc=O4XE7KZYSO0Q3M:

I wish I lived closer I'd make you a bunch of Bus resources.
Tell him you are going for a Magic ride in Mommy's car bus and he gets to be the passenger today.
Sing the song in the car.

Maybe build a pretend Bus in the living room. Find a BIG appliance box somewhere.
Set up passenger seats,play the wheels on the Bus song and have some fun.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...PQ#imgrc=2VErZdEC9MnW_M&imgdii=IVn5qe3dkWClTM
Bus Driver hat

bus driver - The Little Big Book Club
www.thelittlebigbookclub.com.au › files › title_resource

PDF
To make the bus driver's hat, see separate template page for instructions. Let your child be the bus driver and you can pretend to be a passenger. Other ...

Things will get better Hon
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
Well it is time to take a Bus ride

https://happyhomefairy.com/preschool-school-bus-theme/
https://www.google.com/search?q=sch...IEHWpWBmkQ9QEwBHoECAoQIg#imgrc=O4XE7KZYSO0Q3M:

I wish I lived closer I'd make you a bunch of Bus resources.
Tell him you are going for a Magic ride in Mommy's car bus and he gets to be the passenger today.
Sing the song in the car.

Maybe build a pretend Bus in the living room. Find a BIG appliance box somewhere.
Set up passenger seats,play the wheels on the Bus song and have some fun.

View attachment 497697

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...PQ#imgrc=2VErZdEC9MnW_M&imgdii=IVn5qe3dkWClTM
Bus Driver hat

bus driver - The Little Big Book Club
www.thelittlebigbookclub.com.au › files › title_resource

PDF
To make the bus driver's hat, see separate template page for instructions. Let your child be the bus driver and you can pretend to be a passenger. Other ...

Things will get better Hon
Hugs
Mel

thank you, mel. This is a great set of ideas, and it helps to feel less alone.

We actually do have a big box or two in the garage, so maybe we’ll make a bus tomorrow. Plus driving around. Our version of the wheels on the bus has a out 300 verses right now, and I’m sure we’ll write some new ones.

Hugs right back to you.

thank you, mel. This is a great set of ideas, and it helps to feel less alone.

We actually do have a big box or two in the garage, so maybe we’ll make a bus tomorrow. Plus driving around. Our version of the wheels on the bus has a out 300 verses right now, and I’m sure we’ll write some new ones.

Hugs right back to you.

Yeah it is a very hard time,but we are never alone hon.
Can I share.
I am doing online learning (teaching but I am also learning),,,,,well because I hate being on camera I do it without,,,,stupid pride..too many wrinkles.
One of my little guys got stuck in India in March, (border shut down),,45 degrees today,,he kept saying I just want to see your beautiful face,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Big tears here.
He has E.B. rare skin disorder,,exceptionally painful.
So I did a Google meet with him *with camera on* and he started to cry,,,then I cried,,,all because we miss each other. Then we chatted forever.It was good,,very good.
I am going to try and chat with him every day.
Everyone needs to share challenges because everyone faces them.
And WOW 300 verses is so cool!
Big Mommy hugs to you,,now go to bed and rest.
Mel

Yeah it is a very hard time,but we are never alone hon.
Can I share.
I am doing online learning (teaching but I am also learning),,,,,well because I hate being on camera I do it without,,,,stupid pride..too many wrinkles.
One of my little guys got stuck in India in March, (border shut down),,45 degrees today,,he kept saying I just want to see your beautiful face,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Big tears here.
He has E.B. rare skin disorder,,exceptionally painful.
So I did a Google meet with him *with camera on* and he started to cry,,,then I cried,,,all because we miss each other. Then we chatted forever.It was good,,very good.
I am going to try and chat with him every day.
Everyone needs to share challenges because everyone faces them.
And WOW 300 verses is so cool!
Big Mommy hugs to you,,now go to bed and rest.
Mel

aww, it sounds like that conversation did you both a lot of good. that kid sees someone familiar and special, all the stuff you put out into the world.

you’re right, the challenges were all facing are real and they aren’t going anywhere. and some helpful tips make the problems feel a bit more manageable.

thank you again! a drink and an episode of one day at a time are calling my name. relaxing now, so Bus Driver Mama can be on the job tomorrow morning!

Thanks, everyone. Parenting in a pandemic, no matter your kids age, is just so challenging.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming this morning. It’s rainy and cold here, so a “bus ride” in the car is a good way to spend our morning.

It's still hot here but cooler in the morning, and looks like rain is on the way so maybe we'll have a change in temperature. I've been getting up early every day and doing a 30 minutes workout, plus walking the dog by 8 to get it out of the way. People on the morning walk are nicer than people on my normal after dinner walks, morning people smile and say "good morning!" while evening people just glare at you if they look at you at all. Any way. New habits trying to form.

I've been ok with my points, using my weekly ones but it's ok for now. I will do better next week, and so on. That's the point I guess, keep doing better! I have some nice salad with grilled chicken and avocado for lunch while kiddo eats his usual... chicken noodle soup. Supper for me will be more chicken with some cauliflower and broccoli. He will probably have pasta or rice with his. Then it's the hard time, the after dinner before bed trouble zone of snacking. I've been doing better at that, but still need to focus and pay attention.

Hope everyone had a good week and a great weekend ahead!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!