Dis Old Fogies Clubhouse – Six of One, Half Dozen of the Other. Makes No Difference!

Several years ago we went gift free. We send my sisters family Omaha Steaks and she sends me stuff from her work that she can ship for free. But besides that we don't do gifts anymore. No one needs anything.

We have scaled way back in recent years, initially from necessity but now on principle. Our boys get a couple good, solid gifts each -- something they will use and, usually, have been asking for (i.e. DS18 is a musician, so he is always looking to upgrade this or that). DH and I like to do really good stockings for each other, but beyond that maybe just a small gift or two. As for extended family, DH and his oldest brother (very close) always do a small exchange, but that's about it. We stopped gifting the nephews and my other BIL/wife years ago. It just got to be an obligation and I don't think Christmas should work that way.

We do our adult kids, my Dad and nieces and nephew and my staff at work. My DH doesn't have any close family. So far it's all been ordered on-line.

We have only a few gifts to buy. We exchange with immediate family and one couple. To be respectful of the budgets of those just starting out in life, we have a dollar limit on the cost of gifts. For the couple, we only exchange estate sale or thrift store finds that would sell for under $10. That's a fun challenge each year!

We have agreed with my parents that there is no need to exchange gifts for the sake of Christmas. If we want to get them something, we do regardless of time of year.

My sister works for a company where she can key in free stuff like towels, grocery bags, bathroom bags, duffel bags, so every year we get a box of that crap. Normally I donate or give away most of it but occasionally there is something decent in there. We get them a pack of Omaha Steaks every year. Other than that we don't do gifts. The most we do is a meal, which we will be doing with my friend Jenny from the DIS who moved back to CA earlier this year. We're having brunch Christmas morning.

My ILs sent us an Omaha Steak package this year! There is a variety of things in there but I am doing the filet mignons for Christmas dinner. :goodvibes

Happy 2018, Fogies!!

b5e3aa31c95d4affd4dad3ac5034090b.jpg

How are all the fogies surviving in the new year? Now that it's 2018...Only 35 more working days for me.:cheer2::banana::cool1:

Ugh. My year is no different than any other except that we have a court case with an a$$hole tomorrow as time records, technically it's Thursday, but since it's now after midnight it's tomorrow.

Ugh. My year is no different than any other except that we have a court case with an a$$hole tomorrow as time records, technically it's Thursday, but since it's now after midnight it's tomorrow.
Ugh, not a good way to start the year. I hope all goes well and it's over quickly.

Last edited:
....how did everything turn out?

....hey Alison....my DS and his FG are heading your way in February....first-time trip to DL!

Hello Fogies.

Can you believe it's nearly the end of January? It only seems like 28 days ago that we started the new year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter