Dis Unplugged Brought it Up and I'm Going to Address...

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
some/part of it.

The recent battery issue at MCO has caused some re-thinking in procedures and overall safety. I'll keep it non-technical, initially, as to keep folks engaged.

Li-ion batteries come in many form factors and chemistries that can often push energy envelope(s). As the cell/architecture design evolves, there comes some concerns with stability (often repeat-ability of cell manufacturing) which can have extreme reliability and safety. However, certain form factors and/or chemistries may experience a manufacturing flaw that can propagate to cell/layer failure. The search for lighter, more energy and cheaper continually pushes battery designers to cell design limits.

I think the somewhat recent 777 "smoking batteries" has caused some experts in the industry to pause on the higher energy promises that Li-ion can bring. This example shows, to me, that industry (e.g. corporate mandates) may push to release a battery design perhaps without true long-term knowledge or data sets. But, I've lived on this fence for decades in the battery design world; how much data do we have to support a global release for A particular application? Yes, I've seen a Li-ion thermal runaway event, first hand in the lab, with a Li-ion battery that goes into an exothermic state. It is volatile event based on my empirical viewing.

My own observations makes me so nervous when I go to my local gym and see so many folks bring their "Smart Devices" into a hot sauna which can only exasperate a potential cell/battery failure (heat is an enemy to conventional battery designs). If I was a sauna owner, I would mandate that no electronic/battery operated devices make their way into a sauna or steam-room. It is only a matter of time until we hear of a catastrophic event in these environments.

Overall, this makes me think that all Li-ion (or battery powered devices), will ultimately end up in a secured compartment, laced with monitoring devices, to potentially suppress a catastrophic event while on the tarmac or in flight. Yes, this would likely translate to higher ticket prices.

I flew home from WDW this afternoon. Only a few days after the bomb scare, we were told NOT to take off our shoes and to keep laptops in bags because of the high volume of traffic. Unbelievable.

Batteries don’t kill people. People kill people.

People have the right to bear batteries. Batteries are protected by the Second Amendment. Don’t blame the batteries.

I flew home from WDW this afternoon. Only a few days after the bomb scare, we were told NOT to take off our shoes and to keep laptops in bags because of the high volume of traffic. Unbelievable.

Scary and, unless I'm missing something, some high energy battery "pouches" can easily fit into a shoe. Even though the potential fire MIGHT be able to be suppressed, the noxious gases circulating around the cabin is very concerning.

This is actually pretty common though. When I'm flying somewhere, I'd say this happens 1/3 of the time. It's part of the reason why I've never invested in TSA Pre-check.

Definitely a bit surprising for them not to be showing "full force" so soon after the event - most security is really for show anyway so you'd think they'd want to make people feel better .... or at least now the bad people know just to come when it is busy ;)

This is actually pretty common though. When I'm flying somewhere, I'd say this happens 1/3 of the time. It's part of the reason why I've never invested in TSA Pre-check.

But, my company paid for my Clear Pass for years which was a complete waste as all it did was get me to, literally, in front of the screening machines. I still had to remove my shoes/belt/etc. and paid ~$179/year for a perceived privilege.

This is what I've always called "giving the IMPRESSION of security". Either DO it, or don't. Don't lull people into a false sense of security. I've often had that thought at WDW - some guards poke their little black sticks into every crack and crevice - which is FINE with me, since I always unzipper/open everything to have it ready/make their jobs easier. Others act like they're annoyed when I try to hold open compartments on things to have them see.

I know somebody will bring up the fact that thoroughly checking everybody will create huge lines, and I grasp, and fully acknowledge that point as being valid. There must be SOME answer to that - having more checkpoints, more personnel, something - it's up to me to say I see/feel a problem/something makes me feel a certain type of way. Up to others - way above my paygrade - to figure out the answer(s). (Totally agree with your comment, above, @hertamaniac.) If we - as "regular consumers" can see that volume trumps security, ummm - doncha think somebody with nefarious intentions doesn't know this too? I know no matter what you do, those types will sadly try to outsmart anything you try to come up with, but this (to me, IMHO) is a previously known no-brainer.

I'll also say I have NOT been since they make everybody go through metal detectors now (right?) so that definitely makes me feel better. But I also still feel - either DO it, or DON'T. Don't APPEAR to SOMETIMES do it.

Last edited:
This is what I've always called "giving the IMPRESSION of security". Either DO it, or don't. Don't lull people into a false sense of security. I've often had that thought at WDW - some guards poke their little black sticks into every crack and crevice - which is FINE with me, since I always unzipper/open everything to have it ready/make their jobs easier. Others act like they're annoyed when I try to hold open compartments on things to have them see.

I know somebody will bring up the fact that thoroughly checking everybody will create huge lines, and I grasp, and fully acknowledge that point as being valid. There must be SOME answer to that - having more checkpoints, more personnel, something - it's up to me to say I see/feel a problem/something makes me feel a certain type of way. Up to others - way above my paygrade - to figure out the answer(s). (Totally agree with your comment, above, @hertamaniac. If we - as "regular consumers" can see that volume trumps security, ummm - doncha think somebody with nefarious intentions doesn't know this too? I know no matter what you do, those types will sadly try to outsmart anything you try to come up with, but this (to me, IMHO) is a previously known no-brainer.

I'll also say I have NOT been since they make everybody go through metal detectors now (right?) so that definitely makes me feel better. But I also still feel - either DO it, or DON'T. Don't APPEAR to SOMETIMES do it.

Very prolifically stated.

Now onto potentials. Thermal imaging can "pick up" a certain % of threats based on return signatures (we all know this). But, do we have the technology to "pick up", again on thermal imaging, an inflection of X degrees at a pre-determined threshold(s)?

I lay down my knowledge at public security. But, analyticalally see an overlap with my background in battery/energy storage with threat detection's, with the end game being transparency to those who want to visit our attractions/destinations without trepidation.

Last edited:
We've run into this in years previous; when MCO reaches a certain saturation point, they just start letting you through. Not very reassuring.

Throughput or head count does not equal efficiency in terms of security.

Last edited:
Most of what they do is just theater. They miss things all the time. And the stuff they catch are bring brought by people with no nefarious intentions. Security has never stopped a terrorist attack, it deters them. To deter them, a randomized screening works just as well. The terrorists have just switched to using trucks to ram people on the street instead.

We've run into this in years previous; when MCO reaches a certain saturation point, they just start letting you through. Not very reassuring.
This happened to us in March this year. There were so many people at the airport waiting to get through security. It was so unorganized because they had about 7 lines that funneled into 1 final line. People were skipping ahead in front of others and it was just a mess. They yelled at us to keep our shoes, belts, and everything on, including laptops. We were told not to even take electronics out and I had never had this happen before. Everyone was extremely confused and it made the line go even slower because most of the people were doing it anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!