disAbled-accessible Room Question

Mark P.

DIS Veteran
Hi,
Doing some early planning for my folks, who will be staying at CSR in October.
My Mom uses a wheelchair and would be nice to reserve a wheelchair accessible room. Is any proof of a disability required when making the reservation and/or upon check-in?

Thanks,
Mark

No. There is no requirement about proof. However, does she just use the wheelchair for getting around or is she basically confined to the wc? If she is basically confined and needs a roll-in shower that has to be specified. Id she is not confined to the wc, maybe all that is needed is a room where there are extra grab bars at the tub.

All the rooms, especially at the newer resorts (includes CSR) are basically accessible. The actual degree of need should be considered before requesting one.

Thanks for the info:)

No, she's not totally confined to the wheelchair, but is disabled due to a very bad car accident (someone else ran a stop street).
The extra grab bars in the room, and a ground floor room would be a big help to her.

I'm setting her up with an ECV with Walker Mobility, so that will be a big help, too.

Again, thanks for your help...This board is awesome!

CSR has elevators and has accessible rooms on all floors.

There are generally two types of rooms that Disney considers accessible.

All accessible rooms have two peepholes in the door, an extra shelf in the closet, a bright flashing light for the fire alarm, and a different type vanity (lower, usually).

Where the differences lie is in the bathroom. Some of the accessible rooms simply have extra grab bars for the toilet and tub and a hand-held shower head.

Some of the accessible rooms have no tub, but have a roll-in shower with a fold down bench and a hand-held shower head.

The rooms with a roll-in shower tend to have a king-size bed instead of two doubles. (May not be true in all cases, but is true in our experience).

You need to call Disney reservations and ask to speak with the Special Services folks and indicate to them that you need an accessible room and what you need to accomodate her. Those special needs folks can actually guarantee the type of room you need, whereas the regular CRO folks can only put it in as a request.

Hope this helps.

Carol

clkelly is right about the 2 types of rooms. call Special services, 407 939 7801 and tell them what you need and they will help you get it.
You can then also make a request for the ground floor if you don't want the hassle of an elevator ride.
Some of the roll in shower rooms have 2 double beds but most are kings. And most of the tub rooms have 2 queens.
But of course YMMV with special services depending on what available.
Also don't go through CRO for the room, call Special services direct.
Otherwise all CRO does is call them for you and then things get mixed up.Might as well take out the middle man to get what you want. :teacher: :banana: :banana:

What I have done is call CRO first, and get my room(s) with any discounts I want, etc.

I book AAA first, then wait on AP rates, or discount code rates. Once I get that (or don't get it), then I call Special Services directly, and they pull the reservation over to their department and I get the room(s) we need.

Carol

Like I said eliminate the middle man, special services can and will do everything that CRO does. They are basicly the cream of the crop of CRO.
They can give you all the discounts and tickets and anything else you want. And on top of that they are the only ones that can give you a hc room and give you and info on anything hc related in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter