Disabled guests and resort parking fee

Quicklabs

DIS Veteran
Are disabled guests required to pay the self-parking fee for stays at Disney property hotels? Some have said "yes"; others have said, "no" if the disability placard is presented at the front desk. We are staying at the BWI and are wondering if we will be charged the overnight parking fees or not?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Handicap parking is free at the resorts.

Handicap parking at the parks themselves though is not free if you are staying offsite.

Since you're staying at the Boardwalk you'll be fine.

@AnneK is correct. The WDW resort overnight parking fee is waived with an HA placard or plates. The computer system is wonky, though, so you’ll want to keep an eye on your folio and stop by the front desk to have it corrected if necessary.

Enjoy your vacation!

We presented my placard card at front desk and they noted our file, never charged the parking fee, that was just in August.

We presented my placard card at front desk and they noted our file, never charged the parking fee, that was just in August.
How were you able to do that and park? Do you mean you parked in a regular check in (temporary) space, then moved to an HP spot with the placard in place? Not argumentative. Confused.

How were you able to do that and park? Do you mean you parked in a regular check in (temporary) space, then moved to an HP spot with the placard in place? Not argumentative. Confused.

That's what I presumed? I always give them my license plate number at the front desk, and I typically check our room charges every other day or so during our stay.

I just figure they probably had 2 tags. My state issues 2 tags. Since I transport my sister frequently, I keep one of hers in the door of my car to use when taking her places. She then keeps the other in her purse in case she goes somewhere with someone else.

My mom was even issued 2 hanging tags and 2 plates. The plates are on my parents cars, one tag stays in my aunt’s car since they go places together all the time. The other tag is usually in her purse for when she is out with others.

We were at the Contemporary. My parents just went through the regular parking entry, used Magic Band to get in, parked, had their placard hanging (they don't have the permanent tag) and were never charged.

@AnneK is correct. The WDW resort overnight parking fee is waived with an HA placard or plates. The computer system is wonky, though, so you’ll want to keep an eye on your folio and stop by the front desk to have it corrected if necessary.

Enjoy your vacation!

Yes, for some odd reason Disney has decided physically handicapped people can't afford to pay for parking, but everyone else can... It was the last straw for us, and we are not returning to WDW any time soon, or will just stay offsite. We'll have at least one AP in the group, so we won't have to pay for parking at the parks.

I suspect the decision to waive the fee may have been related to the fact that the valet parking fee has been waived for a long time now, and they didn’t want to overwhelm valet once the overnight self-park fee was instituted. I really don’t think the decision was about who can or can’t afford to pay.

Yes, for some odd reason Disney has decided physically handicapped people can't afford to pay for parking, but everyone else can... It was the last straw for us, and we are not returning to WDW any time soon, or will just stay offsite. We'll have at least one AP in the group, so we won't have to pay for parking at the parks.

I think it was less about physically disabled not being able to afford it and more about realizing that if they charged people with a placard, valet parking (free for those with a placard) would be overrun.

We'd been leaning towards not renting a car on our next trip, and the parking charge cemented it for us.

I just figure they probably had 2 tags. My state issues 2 tags. Since I transport my sister frequently, I keep one of hers in the door of my car to use when taking her places. She then keeps the other in her purse in case she goes somewhere with someone else.

My mom was even issued 2 hanging tags and 2 plates. The plates are on my parents cars, one tag stays in my aunt’s car since they go places together all the time. The other tag is usually in her purse for when she is out with others.

Our state issues *1* hangtag - and woe be upon those who lose it or need a second one to keep in their spouses car... because you won't get it without a minor miracle. I got in the habit early on of just keeping it in my purse whenever I park the car at home, so I can jump in any car and have it with me.

I suspect the decision to waive the fee may have been related to the fact that the valet parking fee has been waived for a long time now, and they didn’t want to overwhelm valet once the overnight self-park fee was instituted. I really don’t think the decision was about who can or can’t afford to pay.
I think it was less about physically disabled not being able to afford it and more about realizing that if they charged people with a placard, valet parking (free for those with a placard) would be overrun.

We'd been leaning towards not renting a car on our next trip, and the parking charge cemented it for us.
That is my guess too.

One of the main reasons Disney probably decided to no charge people with handicapped passes is that traveling with out their car may not be an option Ie need to take a scooter or medical supplies with them and that rulled out flying.

One of the main reasons Disney probably decided to no charge people with handicapped passes is that traveling with out their car may not be an option Ie need to take a scooter or medical supplies with them and that rulled out flying.
Doubtful, since both scooters and medical supplies can fly. Plus, there are plenty of people who have handicapped placards that don’t have mobility devices, along with any number of people who can’t fly for one reason or another.

Our state issues *1* hangtag - and woe be upon those who lose it or need a second one to keep in their spouses car... because you won't get it without a minor miracle. I got in the habit early on of just keeping it in my purse whenever I park the car at home, so I can jump in any car and have it with me.

I fly to WDW. Our state also offers only one printed hangtag on regular paper. They used to issue harder cardboard type placards.

I make a front and back copies of the original placard and place one in a specially made plastic placard protector made to hang on a rearview mirror incase I rent a car. I just fold it in half and cut it to size. I also use a color copier. It looks the same. If anyone asks, I show them the real one that I keep in my wheelchair.

I keep the original placard with me in a ziplock bag and put it in a small thin backpack and place it in my wheelchair bag.

I do this in case I lose the original one.

States vary a lot in what they allow as far as handicapped hang tags/plates.

MN allows either one handicapped license plate and one handicapped hangtag OR two hangtags. At the time we got our van, we couldn’t get a license plate because the vehicle had to be owned by the handicapped person to get it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!