Disappointed in Disney Guest Services

I emailed guest services and received a call a few days later.

Was told nothing can be done as no availability for any dates at any resort for free dining to be changed to another date.

Cast member swears my dates will be fine and it will not be crowded. I jokingly asked for his direct extension because if he is wrong I am calling him.

Still did not book flights. Just not feeling excited anymore. Will decide once I see fastpass availability when I can makes ours in June.

That may well be. There was very little availability left at the end of the free dining promo. Did you consider any other resorts too?

What about an offsite hotel that is cheaper but still has the FP+ benefit? Swan and Dolphin can be cheaper than the Deluxes and some moderates (especially if you can get a discount like triple A) but are walking distance to Epcot. The Disney Springs hotels aren’t far at all and the cost savings of going offsite could go toward a gift card for food so you still feel that all-inclusive pre-paid vibe. Sorry Disney changed late fall to late summer! I would be moving our trip in that case too and we like star wars!

What about an offsite hotel that is cheaper but still has the FP+ benefit? Swan and Dolphin can be cheaper than the Deluxes and some moderates (especially if you can get a discount like triple A) but are walking distance to Epcot. The Disney Springs hotels aren’t far at all and the cost savings of going offsite could go toward a gift card for food so you still feel that all-inclusive pre-paid vibe. Sorry Disney changed late fall to late summer! I would be moving our trip in that case too and we like star wars!
Just watch the resort fees. They can eat up the savings very fast. Even with AAA we've never gotten Swan or Dolphin for less than what we get a Disney resort for. I have not priced the others due to no buses service that fits my needs

Makes sense wish I would have know that. The cast member who answered made it seem like it was no problem and a done deal. That made the disappointment and the 20 percent discount seem so much worse.

The CM probably thought that GS would make the change. Sometimes they can. I know that you are not feeling it now, but I would suggest holding off before canceling. You are way ahead of anyone just deciding to plan because you have your dining in place, which can be a huge game changer when it is busy. I think the parks will be busier than usual, btu if you use RD well you shoudl have a head start in the orher three parks, and if you wnat to go to DHS, use your FP well. get the heck out in the afternoon when its hot and enjoy your pool.

So honestly, based on your dates, only the last couple days will be affected by SWGE crowds. In fact you might even find lower crowds than expected the first half of your trip, as people delay their trips until SWGE opens. Do any DHS days early in your trip, and stay far far away on the 29th, and I think you will be ok

I believe it is technically a soft opening as the Grand opening hasn't been announced yet as far as I know, this seem like a trial run before it is all go. We were also caught off guard in this announcement as I booked our vacation the last week in Aug at AKL as the 30% was a deal too good to pass on. I was like great, more lines to get through and oddly enough my wife who could care less about SW was like, hey this is cool, newer part of the park, new ride, lets do it......I have never experienced a first day opening so this will probably be our last if that picture of the HP opening is any indication of things to come, so meh go, have fun, there are other parks to get lost in.......

I believe it is technically a soft opening as the Grand opening hasn't been announced yet as far as I know, this seem like a trial run before it is all go. We were also caught off guard in this announcement as I booked our vacation the last week in Aug at AKL as the 30% was a deal too good to pass on. I was like great, more lines to get through and oddly enough my wife who could care less about SW was like, hey this is cool, newer part of the park, new ride, lets do it......I have never experienced a first day opening so this will probably be our last if that picture of the HP opening is any indication of things to come, so meh go, have fun, there are other parks to get lost in.......

I don't think it will be anywhere even close to the Harry Potter opening. I would not compare the two at all. Let's face it, Star Wars is a niche market. Many people may "like" SW, but very few love it and are crazy about it like the HP fans.

It’s definitely not a soft opening. Disney has made a number of official announcements about it. And, if you go to the Disney World website, there’s a banner on the very top of the page that says in red:
“Just Announced
We’re excited to share the latest details about Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, opening August 29, 2019 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.” The only thing that is unusual about the opening is that one of the rides will be opening later (on both coasts).

I don't think it will be anywhere even close to the Harry Potter opening. I would not compare the two at all. Let's face it, Star Wars is a niche market. Many people may "like" SW, but very few love it and are crazy about it like the HP fans.
I’m not sure I would call Star Wars a “niche” market. It’s been beloved by many for over 40 years, so you’ve got a lot of people who either love it now or loved it as a child who will want to go.

Uh, Star wars easily has as big a following as Harry Potter. If not bigger. Talking a 40 year franchise. So not a niche market. It's an entire cult. Who have been following it longer than Potter people have been alive.

Uh, Star wars easily has as big a following as Harry Potter. If not bigger. Talking a 40 year franchise. So not a niche market. It's an entire cult. Who have been following it longer than Potter people have been alive.

I don't agree that SW is more popular then HP. Plus we have had a SW attraction for years and the stage show and fireworks. HP had not had anything in that manner ever. There is no way the HS will have the kind of lines that Universal had when they opened HP. I guess we will see when it opens. I don't doubt that it will be busy, I just don't think that they will have the kind of crowd that HP had in that picture.

I don't agree that SW is more popular then HP. Plus we have had a SW attraction for years and the stage show and fireworks. HP had not had anything in that manner ever. There is no way the HS will have the kind of lines that Universal had when they opened HP. I guess we will see when it opens. I don't doubt that it will be busy, I just don't think that they will have the kind of crowd that HP had in that picture.
Guess you've never gone to any conventions or the old SWW

Oh my little jedi, one has no idea what one says in this.........

Star Wars is HUGE, need I say even bigger the the wizard, SW was bought by Disney for 4.5 Billion, yea BILLION, and this is just the very beginning as far as Disney is concerned! 1977 was the start of the Wars, Potter is a baby in 1997, that is 20 years older, I remember when SW came out. niche, that is just silly to even write that, man where have you been? When the new round of Star Wars came to the movies people around the world were screaming for joy! HP, meh, cannot stay awake for the movies, my daughter LOVES it but me, meh.......could care less, just does not interest me, not to say I would not love to visit Potterville in US. you are right people dont "like" Star Wars, they LOVE IT, niche, oh child.....

Oh my little jedi, one has no idea what one says in this.........

Star Wars is HUGE, need I say even bigger the the wizard, SW was bought by Disney for 4.5 Billion, yea BILLION, and this is just the very beginning as far as Disney is concerned! 1977 was the start of the Wars, Potter is a baby in 1997, that is 20 years older, I remember when SW came out. niche, that is just silly to even write that, man where have you been? When the new round of Star Wars came to the movies people around the world were screaming for joy! HP, meh, cannot stay awake for the movies, my daughter LOVES it but me, meh.......could care less, just does not interest me, not to say I would not love to visit Potterville in US. you are right people dont "like" Star Wars, they LOVE IT, niche, oh child.....

Just because YOU like SW better then HP, does not mean the everyone does. I was around for the first SW movies, they were good. The new ones are crap. I will take HP over SW any day. We will see how busy it gets. I still don't think that it will be as busy as opening day for HP.

Just because YOU like SW better then HP, does not mean the everyone does. I was around for the first SW movies, they were good. The new ones are crap. I will take HP over SW any day. We will see how busy it gets. I still don't think that it will be as busy as opening day for HP.
Turn your exact words around on yourself
Just because YOU like HP better does not mean everyone does.
I'll take SW over HP any day

One franchise has a cult following
One doesn't

Yea.......seeing how nitche it is.......
Psssst, see you in line!

Well I respect your opinion, but it sure is wrong.

It's really rather laughable the more you think about it
Does Potter have the equivalent of the 501st?
Does Potter have a day where the world dedicates to it? Hell most areas have events on May the Fourth. Baseball teams have events with special jerseys for instance

Potter was huge when it opened because it was in the middle of the books and movies popularity. So yeah lines were massive. Would it be the same today?
Nothing about star wars ever wained. It's was huge with it's fan base today was is was in the beginning. Maybe more as it's only grown.

The facts don't back up your hypothesis, unfortunately. According to hard evidence, wait times have significantly increased in AK for all rides since Pandora opened. Josh has recently done an article on this, with a deep dive into the data of daily wait times. Additionally, Touring Plans just did an analysis of their crowd calendar predictions for post-Galaxy Edge, and they're estimating a 12%-20% increase at all other rides in HS.

Disney -- for months and months now -- has been saying "late fall opening," and only just recently changed it to "fall." OP booked her trip based on what Disney said, and now that Disney changed their plans, OP wants to change hers. It's perfectly reasonable for her to want to do so, and, a customer-oriented company like Disney claims to be should be responsive to that. I'm not sure why someone wouldn't have sympathy for the OP, unless it's just a case of Disney blinders -- Disney can do no wrong, no matter what the circumstances.

And it isn't even fall. It is summer. OP, I was planning a Labor Day trip to go before the SW chaos happened and now am aborting that mission. It never crossed my mind SWGE would open in summer. For reference, the first day of Fall 2019 is September 23.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!