Disappointment - but there's always hope

gracelrm

<font color=teal>Wow - you learn something new eve
So for months, I've been planning our next trip to celebrate my retirement. On September 1st, I'll retire after 34 years in education. My plan was to stay in the three monorail resorts - three nights each. I've never planned a split stay like this, and have only ever stayed at more than one resort on a trip when we've decided on a last minute trip and had to piece one together. I've asked all sorts of questions on these boards first, for the ins and outs of split trip planning then, most recently, trying to figure out the best way to change from my home resort to my desired resorts at the 7 month mark.

I've gotten great advice on here and learned about the double browser method to change resorts at 7 month mark. I've set alarms with reminders for all three days that I will need to be online at 7:00(central time). About once a month, I check to make sure I have the right dates in my phone for reminders and for about the last two months, I check the vacation planning section of the website to see if my desired locations were still available. In about the last 14 days, I could tell that my first reservation would need to be PVB, the second would be GF and the last three nights would be BLT. About a week ago, figured out we'd need lake-view instead of standard at PVB & GF (but had suspected that all along). Sunday, I got up at 6:45am to make the first change using the two browser method and everything worked perfectly. One down, two to go. Oh, I forget to mention, for the past week, I've checked availability two or more times a night. My DH may be getting tired of me talking about "what ifs".

Today was the morning to change the second portion of the trip to GF - lake-view. I looked right before I went to bed last night and all was good. I was ready for work early and waiting for 7:00 am central time to come along and at 6:55, I checked one more time and wouldn't you know, one night of the three desired nights was gone. For about 2 weeks, I knew this was our only shot, but since it included two weekend nights with the higher points I assumed I'd be fine. I was so disappointed. All along I've been saying staying at our home resort of BRV would be perfectly fine, but I've never stayed at GF and since it's a special trip, I REALLY wanted this.

So for now, I'm waitlisted for the three nights at GF. Tomorrow, I will try to add a night at PVB and hope for two consecutive nights at GF. I had been warned by knowledgable people on these boards that GF would be difficult, but the consensus was a September check-in shouldn't be too hard. So normally, I'm happy where ever I get a reservation and have never obsessed over things like I have done this time. Maybe the DVC gods are trying to help ease me in to retirement by learning to go with the flow.

Let the stalking begin! I’m confident you will be able to piece together that GFV stay. I would suggest booking single nights at either BLT and Poly for those three nights, and put in a waitlist for the first or last night of your GFV desired stay. Slowly add to your stay one night at a time starting from either end. It will come through. Especially with one night waitlists.

I hope it happens for you! Waitlisting has come through for us on multiple trips. There is hope!!!

I love this idea of staying at each of the monorail resorts. I really hope you can pull it off the way you want to!

Let the stalking begin! I’m confident you will be able to piece together that GFV stay. I would suggest booking single nights at either BLT and Poly for those three nights, and put in a waitlist for the first or last night of your GFV desired stay. Slowly add to your stay one night at a time starting from either end. It will come through. Especially with one night waitlists.
I have been following your posts and your plan! I hope it works out. I also agree with waitlisting single nights at a time. Good luck!!

Wishing you the best of luck - we've been really fortunate with WL success, especially this far out. Crossing fingers (and congrats on your retirement!)

Does it matter which resorts in which order? Is VGF available on other dates?

:earsboy: Bill
No- it didn’t matter to me the order of the resorts. I was good with whatever was available. BLT had the most availability, PVB only had our first 3 consecutive nights and GF was missing days off the beginning & end of our trip- so it would only work as the middle section, until that didn’t work either. All three resorts looked pretty good, until a week before my 7month window opened. But, within that week, the days got scarce real fast.

I have never really watched the availability calendar like I did this time. It was pretty interesting! I guess you never really know if there are 15 rooms available or just 1 when you check it.

It will all be fine. We love our home resort and will be perfectly happy to stay there if it works out that way. You just really can’t go wrong with DVC resorts!

Reserve the 3 nights at GF on cash. If waitlist comes through, you can cancel the cash reservation.

Then stalk the RAT. Check 3-4 times/day. Don’t just depend on the waitlist. The waitlist has only ever worked once for more. I’ve successfully stalked about 10 reservation.

If your not wanting to pay cash rates, but really want to stay at GFV you could look booking a 1 bedroom and borrowing or adding some points to your membership via transfer. I know this is more expensive, but you deserve it.

Well, I've been stalking availability and I found the night I needed and now I have the three nights I wanted. The waitlist didn't pick it up, but I found it early one morning and grabbed it. So excited to have all three desired nights at VGF. So today was my day to get the last three nights at BLT. BLT has been the only resort that hasn't worried me as the whole month has been available in a LV studio. Wouldn't you know, I didn't get on at 7:00 am this morning, because I was out of town, in a hotel with spotty wifi. When I got home, I confidently went to get my last three nights at BLT and the last night is not available. It happens to be the night of the Member event at the Studios, so that night is a popular night, I guess. In fact, we changed our original reservation and pushed it back 2 nights in order to attend the Member event - so I guess it makes sense it wasn't available by the time I got on-line. So, now I'll waitlist the last night and hope for the best.

Thanks for letting me vent and share my planning adventures with you. Now, on to waiting on my waitlist, planning my ADRs and waiting 5 months until time to get fast passes!

Bummer about BLT :(. It looks like you'll still need to stalk. That one might be a bit harder because of the member's event. Make sure you have a backup!

Bummer about BLT :(. It looks like you'll still need to stalk. That one might be a bit harder because of the member's event. Make sure you have a backup!

I have my home resort booked - so I won't be without a room, just had my ideal trip in mind.

So I’ve been stalking to get BLT, with only 2 of 3 nights available, then 1 of 3 nights. I found myself looking 5 or 6 times a day and worrying needlessly. I had the last three nights at my home resort of BRV and decided not to keep stressing. If it came through the waitlist, that would be fine, if not no big deal. The morning I could begin making my ADRs, I looked and what do you know- BLT waitlist came through! I was so excited! Finally, all the planning worked out. As my momma always said, “A watched pot never boils”.

Excellent news! Congratulations on your retirement and thank you for all the hard work you do (and did) as a teacher. We have several in our extended family and I know how dedicated and hard working teachers are. They sure don't do it for the money!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter